Fallout 4

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 am

bowdown wrote:Funny thing is while people are busy complaining about how F4 is less of a RPG and more of a shooter, this is exactly how I wish to play my Fallout games. I play open world RPGs mostly to explore the environment, kill enemies and upgrade my inventory items as I check off my quest log. I haven't even started building up my settlements and it is something I am looking forward to.

Have you played Horizon Zero Dawn for PS4? That game is something else.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bowdown on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:17 am

I don’t have a PS4 but the game looks pretty good.
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am

I feel this is a good take on Fallout 4, and sums up my issues with the game.

phpBB [video]

That said, I still want to finish it. I was waiting for it for years, and there are parts of the game I like, so I want to give it a proper shot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:01 am

I actually reinstalled it a couple of months ago, I never thought I'd play it again but there are just too many incredible mods on PC to pass on this and get a chance to have a completely different experience. I still feel like the quests and stories are of a lesser quality compared to F3, but it's just so damn addictive (I got a total of 420+ hours spent on it)...
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lean on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 pm

I've been wanting to re-install that as well and take the Minutemen or Railroad route.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby bowdown on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:55 am

Ok so I just saw this photo on CNN. Doesn't Jared Kushner of the Trump administration look just like a synth from Fallout 4? LMAO.

bowdown

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:00 am

Those Coursers are bad news indeed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:23 am

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:33 am

To be honest the quests are boring so Im just starting to kill all NPCs outside of my settlements.

Edit: I have to say, once the initial “new toy” phase runs out you realize how shallow the game is. The wasteland itself and the settlement building is pretty cool but it’s hard to want to spend a lot of time into them when there isn’t a deep sense of meaning and purpose. Forgettable characters, repetitive quests and the combat becomes tedious as well.

6.5/10
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:41 pm

So all these years later, I finally finished a playthrough. I guess that kind of speaks volumes considering how many times I've played through Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, and how I finished both within weeks of getting them (as opposed to taking over two years with long breaks in between playing), but Fallout 4 did grow on me the deeper into the story I got.

This playthrough, I sided with the Brotherhood of Steel. I think the game's been out long enough to avoid using spoiler tags, but spoiler warnings all the same.

I did like the twist of Shaun being Father, revealing that the timeline wasn't what you thought it was. Hardly the most clever twist a story has ever had, but effective nevertheless. It's nice that there are a few branching paths compared to Fallout 3 - it's more like New Vegas in that regard - and it was different siding with a Brotherhood of Steel that hold their traditional attitudes and values, rather than the more heroic and clear-cut good guys of Fallout 3 (not that I thought that was a bad thing in 3, though). I did find myself regretting some of the things I had to do (and leaving saves so that I can try those other paths without starting from scratch), and second-guessing my decision to go with the BoS. I followed through and destroyed the Institute though, euthanising Shaun in the process. I liked that there were more shades of grey this time around.

I didn't mind the combat, though enemies are definitely bullet sponges compared to 3 and New Vegas. Like a lot of people, I wish there were more quests where there isn't any combat. There are parts of 3 and New Vegas where you can go a long time without even drawing your weapon, either because you're trying for a more diplomatic route, or you're in a relatively peaceful part of the game. Even if there was combat, the nature of the quests were more unique and interesting. To be fair, there are a lot of side quests I've yet to discover in 4 though, as I've mostly been following the main story through to its conclusion on this first playthrough. I thought the main quest got a little more interesting as it went and there were new places to explore and things to collect instead of just things to shoot at, but the ending of the BoS path does borrow heavily from the original ending of 3, with an even longer walk with Liberty Prime. I was mostly satisfied with how it turned out though, even enjoying the moral ambiguity, and I've warmed up to the game a little more.

On the whole, I do prefer the Perks and Skills system of 3 and New Vegas to 4. There were more meaningful decisions to make as far as your character build and upgrades at each level up, and the perks were more interesting. I also prefer New Vegas' approach to speech challenges, and the full dialogue trees of the previous games to the new conversation system. I'm used to the idea of the new approach though, and it's OK. I think it's fair to say that when it comes to that stuff, I was hoping 4 would follow more closely in the footsteps of its predecessors, but I understand Bethesda wanting to change things up. I do also miss the karma system and the continual juggling of faction reputation, though.

I had really high expectations for Fallout 4, and probably more specific expectations than I was originally willing to admit. It's definitely contributed to me not feeling the same attachment, and not touching the game a lot over the past couple of years. Having completed a playthrough however, I do like the game a little more, and expect to spend some more time with it, checking out those other paths, exploring the world, and finding those side quests. I also have the DLC to play through, and I've heard good things about them. I'm hoping the game will continue to grow on me, though for the moment, I definitely rate 3 and New Vegas higher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 pm

I just sided with the Brotherhood because I thought their writing on Fallout 4 would have them as the definitive good guys (and I was so glad they were not). I think I also missed a switch on the Institute base to evacuate the unarmed NPCs, and ended up in a massacre inside.

Looking back, I still hate Preston and I remember that I had to send him away to the Castle to avoid any radiant quests (Sanctuary is my main hub, where all of the other companions are).

Anyway if you're going to play the DLC's, I highly recommend Far Harbor.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:04 pm

I sided with them out of a sense of loyalty to 3. I tended to spare the Mojave chapter of the Brotherhood in my FNV playthroughs as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:16 am

Not related, but I've read somewhere that you're supposed to challenge Maxson for the leadership of the Commonwealth Brotherhood but that section was cut from the final release.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 am

That would've been an interesting ending, or post-script quest along the lines of Broken Steel.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:53 am

I just killed everyone on the Prydwen because I was getting tired of their intolerant and overly righteous rhetoric. Siding with the Institute even though I think they are crazy.
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Can't escape basketball gaming.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Heck in my playthrough, there's a guy inside the hoop.

Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Damn, you win on that one. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm

So I've been enjoying some sidequesting as of late. There's still a bit too much combat in them compared to a lot of the side quests in New Vegas (and even 3), where you could change things up by going a long time without even drawing a weapon and there'd be a fun/interesting tale to go along with it, but I'm finding more of that stuff in 4 now.

I think the big problem is that you don't necessarily find that stuff in the course of playing through the main plot, or certainly less so than 3 and New Vegas. Some side quests in those games came from wandering around and going places that weren't relevant to or visited during the main quest, but a lot of them did seem to present themselves as you were progressing through the story. I think that's one of the reasons why 4 didn't grip me as the previous two games did. I have warmed up to 4 a lot after giving it another go this year though, and am probably finally getting my money's worth.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed May 30, 2018 1:36 am

Fallout and Bethesda's Facebook pages have changed to a "PLEASE STAND BY" cover photo!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 30, 2018 2:54 am

Better not be an Elder Scrolls announcement.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu May 31, 2018 12:34 am

Here's a teaser:

phpBB [video]

EDIT: I hope it doesn't dwell on settlement building that much.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 am

I've created a new topic, since we've had separate ones for the previous games: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=105576
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 pm

You Can't See Cait!

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:35 pm

I had my character romance Piper, but boy do I love Cait's accent!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic