Warriors vs. Cavaliers, Again?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Will the Warriors and Cavs reach the NBA Finals again this year?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am

Yes
40%
No
20%
Warriors yes, Cavs no
30%
Cavs yes, Warriors no
10%

Total votes : 10

Warriors vs. Cavaliers, Again?

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:45 am

With the All-Star break in the books, the Playoffs are looming on the horizon. The question is, will they be more of a formality once again with Warriors vs. Cavaliers Part 4, or might we see a different match-up in the NBA Finals? Will both of those teams make it, will only one make it, or will they both be dethroned by new Conference champions?

I feel like this year, there are teams in both conferences that have a shot at breaking the streak. Neither the Warriors nor the Cavs have looked as unbeatable this year, but that being said, it's still hard to pick against them. I'd love to see an upset and someone new in the Finals - it's also been twelve years since we had a Finals where we were guaranteed a first time champion - but I have a feeling they'll turn it up and prevail come Playoff time.

The Rockets and Celtics seem like the frontrunners to pull off an upset if it's going to happen, but I'm intrigued by the Raptors. They've very quietly taken the top seed in the East, and only the Rockets, Pacers, and Jazz have been as hot or hotter over the past ten games. If nothing else, they could be looking at the first 60-win season in team history.

So, if you had to make a prediction today, who's going to the Finals this year?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Warriors vs. Cavaliers, Again?

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Warriors in 5

Only way Cavs would win it if Rockets made it to the Finals, but Harden is shit in the playoffs so...

Also, Andrew do you think Harden is locked for MVP this season?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

I wouldn't say a lock, but he's probably the frontrunner. The Rockets have traded places with the Warriors a few times for the best record in the West (and now league), and they've managed to win games even with CP3 sidelined. He's putting up big numbers and is one of the standout individual performers while also being on a successful team, which is usually the criteria for regular season MVP. At this pace, he probably will be the MVP and I wouldn't argue against that, but I don't think it's a lock. I'd say it'll be a close race.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:47 pm

I'll go out on a limb and say rockets/Cavs but will probably be embarrassed when the Warriors wreck the rockets in the playoffs
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm guessing it'll be Warriors/Cavs, Warriors/Celtics, Rockets/Cavs, or Rockets/Celtics, but I'd love to see something completely unexpected like Raptors/Timberwolves. I don't see it happening at all, but that'd be amazing; two expansion teams from the mid 90s and late 80s respectively, each vying for their first championship.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:26 pm

[Q] wrote:I'll go out on a limb and say rockets/Cavs but will probably be embarrassed when the Warriors wreck the rockets in the playoffs

exactly. never seem a team more dominant than these guys. not even a glimpse of declining, systematically steamrolling everyone on their path. also they had injuries this year, still 46 wins in 60 games. maybe in a few years they would fall off the charts.

on the cavaliers side, they have LeBron. put up a lineup of smush parker - cam payne - keith bogans - lebron james - kwame brown for cavaliers. they would still defeat most of the teams in east. with young and solid additions I expect them to make finals once again, but winning it? I don't think they would because warriors.

chance of warriors not making finals? not zero percent, but highly unlikely IMO. unsure of what harden and paul can do at playoffs.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby air gordon on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:13 am

Andrew wrote:I wouldn't say a lock, but he's probably the frontrunner. The Rockets have traded places with the Warriors a few times for the best record in the West (and now league), and they've managed to win games even with CP3 sidelined. He's putting up big numbers and is one of the standout individual performers while also being on a successful team, which is usually the criteria for regular season MVP. At this pace, he probably will be the MVP and I wouldn't argue against that, but I don't think it's a lock. I'd say it'll be a close race.

so who's in the running for MVP with Harden?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:44 am

The Rockets are great but not as great as the Warriors.

The Celtics are good but not as good as the Cavaliers.

Should be the fourth straight season we get to see them in the Finals.

How would you guys rank the teams LBJ faced in the Finals btw?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:31 am

air gordon wrote:so who's in the running for MVP with Harden?

LeBron and Curry. I could see Kyrie getting some votes too, but I think he'll be behind the aforementioned three.

NovU wrote:How would you guys rank the teams LBJ faced in the Finals btw?

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Mavericks
4. Thunder
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 am

17 Warriors
14 Spurs
13 Spurs
11 Mavs
16 Warriors
07 Spurs
15 Warriors
12 Thunder
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Could you say the Thunder were really that weak. They had young but 3 league MVPs to come in one squad with near dpoy ibaka.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:34 pm

I don't think it's a matter of them being weak, just other teams being stronger, or better than the sum of their parts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:59 pm

Andrew wrote:LeBron and Curry. I could see Kyrie getting some votes too, but I think he'll be behind the aforementioned three.

anthony davis might join the list. and i haven't watched the warriors like that this season but i thought kd was their best player?

shadowgrin wrote:17 Warriors
14 Spurs
13 Spurs
11 Mavs
16 Warriors
07 Spurs
15 Warriors
12 Thunder

trash list nigga
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:50 am

Just like you peniswise. No way that Thunder team gonna beat that 07 Spurs team with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili still in their primes. Thunder reached the Finals of that lockout shortened season because they were young and healthy enough for the postseason grind, similar reason why the 8th seeded 99 Knicks managed to reach the Finals in a lockout season, all of their starters bar Ewing were under 30 years old and they had Camby and Sprewell coming off the bench for them. Watch the games bruh.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:08 am

SoF'nAwesome wrote:
Andrew wrote:LeBron and Curry. I could see Kyrie getting some votes too, but I think he'll be behind the aforementioned three.

anthony davis might join the list. and i haven't watched the warriors like that this season but i thought kd was their best player?
]
Andrew wrote:
air gordon wrote:so who's in the running for MVP with Harden?

Harden 1st tier
James 2nd tier
then the rest

shadowgrin wrote:Just like you peniswise. No way that Thunder team gonna beat that 07 Spurs team with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili still in their primes. Thunder reached the Finals of that lockout shortened season because they were young and healthy enough for the postseason grind, similar reason why the 8th seeded 99 Knicks managed to reach the Finals in a lockout season, all of their starters bar Ewing were under 30 years old and they had Camby and Sprewell coming off the bench for them. Watch the games bruh.

ha what a great run. gangsta Spree baby. broken LJ canning 3's. ah good times
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:44 am

Pretty much guaranteed Harden wins it this year unless something silly happens in a month.

3 seasons ago, Durant won, last season, Westy won, this year, Harden wins. Imagine what the Thunder would look like today if they didn't pay Ibaka and was able to keep Harden instead. :cry:

shadowgrin wrote:Just like you peniswise. No way that Thunder team gonna beat that 07 Spurs team with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili still in their primes. Thunder reached the Finals of that lockout shortened season because they were young and healthy enough for the postseason grind, similar reason why the 8th seeded 99 Knicks managed to reach the Finals in a lockout season, all of their starters bar Ewing were under 30 years old and they had Camby and Sprewell coming off the bench for them. Watch the games bruh.

Not to take anything away from Dirk, but I remember the Thunder vs Mavericks series vividly. At the time I thought the refs ruined it in favor of the Mavs. The refs were making Dirk untouchable. KD was forced to guard Dirk in post as others were in foul trouble for silly foul calls from early game, yet the refs were still making non foul calls on Durant. Otherwise the Thunder probably had better shot at making the Finals that season(making it 2 in a row against the Heat in the Finals). Following year, the Thunder steamrolled to the Finals unsurprisingly, then Harden trade came for Kevin Martin.

I am placing the Mavericks slightly above the Thunder in my list only because former has the title against the same opponent.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:57 am

The Thunder actually took more free throws in that series (155-153). Dirk also hit some of the toughest shots I've ever seen, literally defenders blanketed all over his shooting hand. Dirk took 61 free throws, Westbrook took 53 and Durant 49.

Mavericks won that series in 5 games, so it's not like it went even close to the distance. Nobody could stop Dirk, he was the best player in the playoffs that year, a big reason why they won the title.

Thunders turnovers killed them, 79 for them and 61 for the Mavericks. 18 more turnovers with an average score difference of 4 PPG (105.2 to 101.2), that will probably do it. The Thunder were not mature enough in that series, the Mavericks played the game the right way.

Nobody could stop Dirk, he was winning that title regardless. His contested shot making ability was just out of this world.

Also note: They made the Lakers look like a joke in that sweep. Dirk took 16 free throws in those 4 games (Only 4 a game), but shot a blistering .574% from the field, and over 70% from three.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 am

Dirk had a hell of a run that year, it was great to see him cap it off with the championship. As for the Lakers series, one of the things that stands out the most to me was Andrew Bynum's bush league flagrant foul on J.J. Barea. It's like the recent Zaza incident; physical is one thing, dirty is another, and that was a dirty play by a sore loser.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:13 pm

NovU wrote:
Not to take anything away from Dirk, but I remember the Thunder vs Mavericks series vividly. At the time I thought the refs ruined it in favor of the Mavs. The refs were making Dirk untouchable.

this is laughable coming from a wade fan
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Sauru wrote:
NovU wrote:
Not to take anything away from Dirk, but I remember the Thunder vs Mavericks series vividly. At the time I thought the refs ruined it in favor of the Mavs. The refs were making Dirk untouchable.

Lol.

Yeah, let's not even talk about the 06 finals...
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Seems I have an idiot stalker whoever follows up on my post as if I care.

btw, if you watched the games you would notice what I mean on some of the very suspicious calls made for Dirk. Some idiots would argue with Free throw stats but the Thunder were among league leaders in free throw attempts that year while Mavericks were one of the most stinkers in that department. It's just my suspicion based on memory, just wanted to share. Not looking for a stupid hypothetical discussion or a lecture by some idiot.

Sauru wrote:
NovU wrote:

I wouldn't surprised if the games were rigged so the NBA could give a birth to Jordan alike star in Wade. Quite plausible.

How about the Mavs and conspiracy theory, before the lock out the league made some sort of a deal with Cuban to make him happy and paid off LBJ to disappear which he did in the series.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Let's keep it civil, thanks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:23 am

All I am doing is talking basketball, I made no attacks whatsoever. Also, I am commenting on basketball topics that interest me, and the 2011 finals and 2006 finals interest me. It has nothing to do with you, NovU. I will continue to comment on topics that interest me, whether its you, Sauru, Air Gordon, or whoever.

Again, nobody was stopping Dirk during that run, calls or not. Best player in the playoffs by far. Hell of a run.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:29 am

1. 2017 warriors
2. 2016 warriors
3. 2015 warriors
4. 2007 spurs
5. 2014 spurs
6. 2013 spurs
7. 2012 thunder
8. 2011 mavs

where is the enlightenment smh i expect better from you. no wait i don't
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Lamrock on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 am

hahaha peniswise

Anyways yeah we're getting Cavs and Warriors again. Raps and Rockets have an outside chance to make it, but honestly that kind of thing just doesn't happen.
Lamrock

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball