Live 18 - I like what I'm seeing in this section

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Live 18 - I like what I'm seeing in this section

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:23 am

Just wanted to say: Pretty cool that the NBA Live section has picked up steam this year. I'm seeing a lot more comments, and most are not negative.

I hope EA sees this type of stuff, and it gives them motivation for Live 19. If I was ever asked go work for one of them (which they wouldn't ask) either 2k or Live, I honestly think I would choose Live at this point.

Reason being: 2K is going down a slippery slope, and I don't think one person can completely change the direction. They are greedy, and I think the gameplay they went with this year shows a poor direction given to the gameplay engineers.

I would consider this an extremely exciting time if I were someone working for EA: working on Live specifically. Live 19 is a major opportunity for them to get more market share, it just takes the right minds/promotions to really make it happen.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: Live 18 - I like what I'm seeing in this section

Postby RayRay_953 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:01 am

I'm glad that Live is heading on the right direction. Even though the game isn't perfect, EA has listened to feedback and adjusted the game for the right reasons. Roster editing was added in an update (even though it should've been a feature on day 1), player faces were updated to reflect their current looks, gameplay fixes that had a positive impact on the game (no more double ankle breakers), and frequent events to add more replay value to the game.

Another thing I'm impressed with is the limit of payed content. The only thing you pay for in Live 18 is for Ultimate Team, but even then, I didn't need to pay a single cent to form a great lineup. Even though the upgradable attributes is limited in The One, it's quick to upgrade your player, and unlike 2K18, you're not forced to cough up VC so your player can even be viable online.

I'm excited to see what Live 19 is going to look like. Perhaps if 18 sells well enough, we might see the next installment on PC.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:22 am

They definitely have a great opportunity with NBA Live 19. While NBA Live 18 does still have some roughness, it's been fun to play; the most fun that the series has offered since the reboot in 2013. There's work to be done to win more people over and really have this section bustling, but it seems there's a genuine enjoyment of the game in our community right now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:34 am

I agree with shinron on his points.

I'm not overwhelmed with Live, but I see them making the effort to improve, and that is all I can ask for. They listen to and respond to feedback. They actually improve the game, not mess it up (as another company does), with each new patch.

Also, I feel the biggest thing is that they aren't expecting us to keep shelling out real money to play the game. Say what people will about EA, they aren't greedy bastards (I have a number of other words for 2k but this seems like the tamest) like 2k is. 2k is just going to get worse and worse with the money grab and I'm hoping EA doesn't start down that path because they will lose me as a customer. I will not ever again play a game that requires microtransactions, unless the game doesn't charge to begin with, like the iPhone free games.

I hope they will fix the over-emphasis on the inside offense and bring individual team styles into play.

I also like that I feel like I am in control of my player, unlike in 2k. I do see my player in Live get sucked into an animation now and then but not to the extent I saw it in 2k. I don't see fouls called on my player as if they were predetermined. In 2k, I've been called for fouls when I was 3 steps away from the play. I don't see that crap in Live.

I don't see excessive clipping in Live where 2k is a clipping smorgasborg.

I began by saying I wasn't overwhelmed with Live, but it doesn't suck royally like 2k does. I have a lot of hope with the direction Live is going. Just stay away from the VC crap EA!!!!
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 am

Admittedly, EA are probably aware that they can't really push their luck with NBA Live at the moment, but considering their microtransaction-related missteps in other franchises - Battlefront II obviously springs immediately to mind - they have taken a much fairer approach with Live. It should bode well for the game if they continue down that path, and not try to gouge gamers or implement cheesy pay-to-win mechanics.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:48 am

Andrew wrote:Admittedly, EA are probably aware that they can't really push their luck with NBA Live at the moment, but considering their microtransaction-related missteps in other franchises - Battlefront II obviously springs immediately to mind - they have taken a much fairer approach with Live. It should bode well for the game if they continue down that path, and not try to gouge gamers or implement cheesy pay-to-win mechanics.

They are staying away from micro-transaction in the hockey game as well, a game I love.

I forgot to mention, I love EA's method of upgrading a player. It's so much better than 2k. Imagine, I can upgrade my player just by playing basketball games. I don't have to spend more time in gyms and other stupid things than I do on the court to get what I need to upgrade.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:16 am

The upgrade system is very solid. Having different currencies for optional cosmetic items and player upgrades is great for a start, but the pace at which you can upgrade, as well as the starting ratings, are much fairer and make it less of a grind. It's feasible to try out a couple of different players; I can't imagine doing that in NBA 2K18.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm

StyxTx wrote:I agree with shinron on his points.

I'm not overwhelmed with Live, but I see them making the effort to improve, and that is all I can ask for. They listen to and respond to feedback. They actually improve the game, not mess it up (as another company does), with each new patch.

Also, I feel the biggest thing is that they aren't expecting us to keep shelling out real money to play the game. Say what people will about EA, they aren't greedy bastards (I have a number of other words for 2k but this seems like the tamest) like 2k is. 2k is just going to get worse and worse with the money grab and I'm hoping EA doesn't start down that path because they will lose me as a customer. I will not ever again play a game that requires microtransactions, unless the game doesn't charge to begin with, like the iPhone free games.

I hope they will fix the over-emphasis on the inside offense and bring individual team styles into play.

I also like that I feel like I am in control of my player, unlike in 2k. I do see my player in Live get sucked into an animation now and then but not to the extent I saw it in 2k. I don't see fouls called on my player as if they were predetermined. In 2k, I've been called for fouls when I was 3 steps away from the play. I don't see that crap in Live.

I began by saying I wasn't overwhelmed with Live, but it doesn't suck royally like 2k does. I have a lot of hope with the direction Live is going. Just stay away from the VC crap EA!!!!

The inside game has been nerfed on this last patch. I actually find myself stopping on fast breaks if I won't get a wide open layup and also on drives I am pulling up from mid-range and doing step back jumpers now for the first time this year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 pm

The adjustments have been very welcome. There needs to be more variation in the way the CPU plays, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 am

[Q] wrote:
StyxTx wrote:I agree with shinron on his points.

The inside game has been nerfed on this last patch. I actually find myself stopping on fast breaks if I won't get a wide open layup and also on drives I am pulling up from mid-range and doing step back jumpers now for the first time this year

I haven't been able to play in quite a while because they are doing construction on our home and I have to keep unplugging and moving my PC so much that I just haven't bothered to hook up the PS. The less I have to keep moving the better.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 am

I havn't played with the new updates, I need to do that over the next couple days.

What are the chances Live 19 gets frostbite? Thoroughly impressed with Maddens use of it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 am

I'd love to see it, but I'm not sure. Apparently it does take some time and effort to port everything over to Frostbite, so it's something they'll have to be doing in the background while also working on the game based on Ignite.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TheRocket on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:23 pm

How do you guys adjust sliders, or do you play on default? I've recently picked up Live and started playing it, i hadn't since the Demo and while patches did improve the game I think sliders adjustments are still needed.

But if i would have to compare Live and 2k, I would still say 2K is better, but keep in mind that i say that as a mostly offline player, Live's franchise mode is years behind 2ks in terms of depth and overall quality. But when talking about gameplay, Live is more challenging to me than 2k, that i have to admit, and can really be fun and enjoy to play. Defense is clearly better in Live than in 2k.

I also prefer Live's mycareer to 2ks. I would conclude it with my opinion that Live does some things better than 2k, but I would still give the title of the best basketball game to the 2k. Fingers crossed Live gets better next year and make me really consider it as my go to basketball game. I picked up Live because it was on sale, and i have been pleasantly surprised.
TheRocket

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:39 pm

It depends which mode you're playing. Sliders can be adjusted in Franchise and Play Now, but not in Ultimate Team or The One. You'll find them under the Settings tab.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TheRocket on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:22 am

Andrew wrote:It depends which mode you're playing. Sliders can be adjusted in Franchise and Play Now, but not in Ultimate Team or The One. You'll find them under the Settings tab.

I know, let me rephrase that, what changes to the sliders you guys make :D ?
TheRocket

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:39 am

Check out ThaLiveKing's. He's been doing some great work with them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 18