The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Postby fjccommish on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 pm

"Man, now, defense is HARD here in MyLeague..."

No, it's just that you aren't taking advantage of the fatal flaw.

All these settings you mention don't change the basic problem with defense. Anyone, any player, can get to the basket every time.
fjccommish

Postby Daex on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am

Dee4Three wrote:...
the defense in this game is absolutely horrible

Hi Dee. Some people are reporting "blow by" animation to be greatly improved with patch 7. I couldn't confirm for myself because it's not on PC yet, but I thought you'd like to know.
Daex

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:22 pm

and the problem remains
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 am

sticky-fingers wrote:and the problem remains

I havnt had a chance to test it, but I figured they were not going to fix that this year.

They are busy boasting good review scores.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 am

Dee4Three wrote:

I havnt had a chance to test it, but I figured they were not going to fix that this year.

Really ?? All the reviews I've read weren't saying they knocked it out of the park with 18. In fact, one review says they've taken a step back, and are allowing NBA Live to close the gap.
Uncle Drew

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 am

Uncle Drew wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

Really ?? All the reviews I've read weren't saying they knocked it out of the park with 18. In fact, one review says they've taken a step back, and are allowing NBA Live to close the gap.

Have you gone on metacritic? The average reviewer score is 8.0, the average user score is 1.6.

Do you follow them on Facebook? In light of almost every single comment (thousands) of people being pissed about the game, it's a constant barrage of "look how great we are" posts and constant posts about reviews they have gotten (blah blah rated 2K18 a 9 out of 10, the most realistic basketball experience to date blah blah).

It's the ultimate slap in the face to those users who rate this game under a 2, the people by the thousands that rip the game for bad layup mechanics, the VC grab, and other gameplay issues.

I have not read one "professional review" that actually calls the game out for its real flaws. I've seen VC talked about, but it's a quick brush by. I have read nothing about the skating of the players, the dead atmosphere and poor unrealistic lighting, seen nothing really in those reviews about the poor layup mechanics, nor the worst 1 on 1 defense in 2K history.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 am

I've seen some reviews that acknowledge gameplay issues, but most of them - especially the ones that have awarded scores of 8s and 9s - tend to read more like promotional breakdowns of all the features, rather than truly reviewing the product and properly identifying the good and the bad. A lot of problems are skimmed over, or not even mentioned. As Dee said, those are the reviews that the social media accounts are happily touting.

Fair enough, of course. No one is going to promote or celebrate a bad review, after all. But given the backlash and general sense of dissatisfaction, it comes across as tone-deaf at best, smug at worst.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 am

Yeah, most of reviews look like a promotional article.
2K18 dont deserve a score of 8 or 9, but neither 1.6
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:16 am

Well, Game Informer have named it as Sports Game of the Year for the second year running. I guess it speaks to the lack of options in that regard, but still.

As for the 1.6 scores, I'd agree that maybe they're a bit too harsh overall, and I'd probably rate the game higher (indeed I did, in the topic asking how we'd all rate NBA 2K18). At the same time though, for anyone who feels the experience has been completely ruined by a combination of the flaws, grinding, and VC gouging...well, a really low score is a fair call. Too often we rely on a four or five point scale to numerically rate video games, and if you utterly hate a game, it seems silly to still rate it a 5 or 6.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:43 pm

About rating, why no more reviews on NLSC ? :oops:
The last 2K review is for 2K13.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Since I started co-hosting the NLSC Podcast, I've usually given my initial review and ongoing thoughts about the latest releases there, in audio format. I've intended to do some written reviews again the past couple of years, but they've been pushed back with the other content I do, and it ends up being too late.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:16 am

sticky-fingers wrote:About rating, why no more reviews on NLSC ? :oops:
The last 2K review is for 2K13.

I actually entertained doing in depth video reviews for my youtube channel. 2017 was a nightmare of sorts for me, so it fell off. I may start them when 2K19 and Live 19 are released.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:54 am

I'm sorry Andrew, i don't use to listen podcast (here and everywhere) :oops:
I'll check your channel Dee.

In fact, a review of theses 2 games is an annual work in background.
There's the release, the biggest part of the work, the first impressions, the comparison between the game and editor's promises.
After the releases, there's also the patches ; 2K showed us they could break a game few weeks after a good release (2K16/2K17).
At this point on 2K18, 2K broke nothing since the release, but they also simply ignore the subject of this thread and the problem of 1on1 on ball defense.
sticky-fingers

Postby JWL3 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:18 am

Dee, I saw this youtube video and immediately thought about your post about the hip blowby. Let me know if this fixes your problem. I'm going to try it tonight in my online games and hope it makes me a better defender. I didn't even realize there were so many defensive options on and off ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjyw4hsYago

On-Ball Defense:

Intense-D: Press and hold LT when in front of dribbler.
Crowd the Dribbler: Press and hold LT when near the dribbler.
Fast Shuffle: Press and hold LT + RT, move Left Stick in any direction.
Hands Up Defense: Move and hold Right Stick in any direction.
Shot Contest: Move and hold Right Stick in any direction when near shooter (during shot).
Vertical Contest: Move and hold Left Stick away from the shooter and press Y.
Swat Block: Hold RT and press Y.
Take Charge: Press and hold B.
Flop: While in take charge, release B, press B.
Double Team: Press and hold LB.
Icon Double Team: Press LB, press and hold the action button of desired double teamer.

Off-Ball Defense:

Bump: Hold LT while impeding the path of the offensive player.
Chuck: (while standing) LT + Right Stick flick towards offensive player.
Grab: (while defender is running) Left Stick + Right Stick flick towards offensive player.
Post Up/Ball Denial: Hold LT when near opponent (based on distance to basket).
Deny Hands Out: Right Stick in any direction.
Ball Pressure: Right Stick press towards ball handler.
Push: LT + Left Stick into defender (when posted off-ball).
Deny/Front Post: LT + Right Stick left / right (when posted off-ball).
Pull Chair in Post: Flick Right Stick in same direction as offensive player (when posted off-ball).
JWL3

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 am

JWL3 wrote:Dee, I saw this youtube video and immediately thought about your post about the hip blowby. Let me know if this fixes your problem. I'm going to try it tonight in my online games and hope it makes me a better defender. I didn't even realize there were so many defensive options on and off ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjyw4hsYago

On-Ball Defense:

Intense-D: Press and hold LT when in front of dribbler.
Crowd the Dribbler: Press and hold LT when near the dribbler.
Fast Shuffle: Press and hold LT + RT, move Left Stick in any direction.
Hands Up Defense: Move and hold Right Stick in any direction.
Shot Contest: Move and hold Right Stick in any direction when near shooter (during shot).
Vertical Contest: Move and hold Left Stick away from the shooter and press Y.
Swat Block: Hold RT and press Y.
Take Charge: Press and hold B.
Flop: While in take charge, release B, press B.
Double Team: Press and hold LB.
Icon Double Team: Press LB, press and hold the action button of desired double teamer.

Off-Ball Defense:

Bump: Hold LT while impeding the path of the offensive player.
Chuck: (while standing) LT + Right Stick flick towards offensive player.
Grab: (while defender is running) Left Stick + Right Stick flick towards offensive player.
Post Up/Ball Denial: Hold LT when near opponent (based on distance to basket).
Deny Hands Out: Right Stick in any direction.
Ball Pressure: Right Stick press towards ball handler.
Push: LT + Left Stick into defender (when posted off-ball).
Deny/Front Post: LT + Right Stick left / right (when posted off-ball).
Pull Chair in Post: Flick Right Stick in same direction as offensive player (when posted off-ball).

This is great and all, and I appreciate you thinking of this thread.

But this does nothing to curve how easy it is to blow by the CPU. These are options for you to improve your defense individually.

The contest is, that any time you want to blow by a CPU player, you can. And, I can guarantee that the hip animation is still triggered quite easy on a human even with the buttons being used that you mentioned.

But again, this does nothing to help the AI one on one defense.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby JWL3 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am

True, it doesn't help the AI play better defense. What you experience on offense is very true when playing against another human also: you can blow past them quite easily just by turboing. Many times, I've had opposing players blow by me (with me in good defensive position) with me helpless to stop them. This tip, if it works, will at least allow me to defend against it.
JWL3

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 am

JWL3 wrote:True, it doesn't help the AI play better defense. What you experience on offense is very true when playing against another human also: you can blow past them quite easily just by turboing. Many times, I've had opposing players blow by me (with me in good defensive position) with me helpless to stop them. This tip, if it works, will at least allow me to defend against it.

Thanks for looking out, though.

I'm really hoping that 2K19 is better all around. All the promises we received about smarter AI, better defense, etc... It was all lies.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sanmarco on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Shooting is an anomaly, too.
It's like playing obstacle-windmill-golf.

Maybe that's why slashing to the rim is chicken grenade.
So that when all else fails, just jack up the turbo.
sanmarco
Spalla Camicia

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:30 pm

sanmarco wrote:Shooting is an anomaly, too.
It's like playing obstacle-windmill-golf.

Maybe that's why slashing to the rim is chicken grenade.
So that when all else fails, just jack up the turbo.

I've mentioned before that the shooting feels off in NBA 2K18. The jump shot mechanics don't feel right, releases don't feel right. And, to make matters worse.... the ball physics make missed shots off the rim look bad.

Driving by anybody, with anybody, whenever you want? Faulty shooting mechanics? Skating? Unrealistic ball physics? Terrible lighting and atmosphere? Body steals and body blocks? Speed breaks for no reason?

No thanks. I'll wait for 2K19.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sanmarco on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:22 am

Dee4Three wrote:Driving by anybody, with anybody, whenever you want? Faulty shooting mechanics? Skating? Unrealistic ball physics? Terrible lighting and atmosphere? Body steals and body blocks? Speed breaks for no reason?

No thanks. I'll wait for 2K19.

Hyped up statement from Aug of last year: (https://www.operationsports.com/nba-2k1 ... -changing/)

"On the defensive end of the floor there were a ton of improvements as well. The biggest thing for a lot of our users was the dribble drive game..

It feels really good now to get your defender leaning one way, attacking his drag foot, and seeing your ball handler quickly swim by the defender without getting snatched into a heavy bump animation..

..but for the most part, you’ll see a lot of “hip riding” this year compared to the knockbacks and dribbler stuns from the past."

Yours truly,
– Mike Wang (@Beluba), NBA 2K Gameplay Director
sanmarco
Spalla Camicia

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 am

While is words were promising, the mechanics didn't work out that way. It made it so you can get by anybody with anybody, making elite defenders irrelevant, and just overall making all the players blend in together.

The defense overall in the game is still broken, but the one on one defense is downright unacceptable.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:22 am

Again, catering towards online as the characters playing aren't based off real people. That's really what will be 2K's demise... I remember when they were pushing the limits for simulation basketball games. Every year it seems to be getting worse as they push more and more for a E-Sports ready game. Shit don't they already have a E-Sports league in the works?

As bad as 2K18 regressed, I could never go back to 2K17 because of the graphics. I've been looking back at some gameplay videos of 2K17 and I often wonder how I even found it acceptable. Apart from the stadium lighting and oversized heads in 2K18, I find it a lot better. Maybe that's why I prefer it over 2K17.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:29 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:Again, catering towards online as the characters playing aren't based off real people. That's really what will be 2K's demise... I remember when they were pushing the limits for simulation basketball games. Every year it seems to be getting worse as they push more and more for a E-Sports ready game. Shit don't they already have a E-Sports league in the works?

As bad as 2K18 regressed, I could never go back to 2K17 because of the graphics. I've been looking back at some gameplay videos of 2K17 and I often wonder how I even found it acceptable. Apart from the stadium lighting and oversized heads in 2K18, I find it a lot better. Maybe that's why I prefer it over 2K17.

Agreed on E-Sports, they are focused on all the wrong things.

And yeah, I think you have different views on graphics. And by the way, totally get that. It's about preferences, also that's your target for modding. You do a damn good job of modding the art aspects of the games.

I just feel like the 2K engineers/production have a disconnect with how the game is actually played. Certain things they added/worked on, and the items they neglected, it what makes me think that.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:24 am

The direction of the game is something I talked about earlier this week in the Monday Tip-Off. There's reason to be concerned there, if you favour the traditional experience.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby lurumagno on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:47 am

sticky-fingers wrote:I dont play in MyGM, but in MyLeague, you can change side.

If you want to stay on mygm, and if there's no way to change side ingame, you have to use cheat engine.
i dont make a table, but i'm pretty sure it can be fix with CE ; i think you have to set the values for local and for the visiting team.

Do you know the code for cheat engine?!?!
lurumagno

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K18