General Discussion Amongst Modders

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K18 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Re: General Discussion Amongst Modders

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Well, as I said, what happens elsewhere is outside our jurisdiction. People are going to do what they're going to do. It's definitely not something we want to promote here though, and we'll take appropriate action if anyone breaks the rules.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BPDHoplite on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 am

I recently bought a much better PC that will run 2k18 at medium settings so can you please make a thread with links to the best mods like Kevin did in the 2K14 section please
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby TheCed on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:26 am

I don't understand what's with these modders tryna flex on NLSC or YouTube with their cyberfaces and they ain't even gonna release them anyway. Like, what's the point? Seems like they insecure or something. :roll:
TheCed

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 am

TheCed wrote:I don't understand what's with these modders tryna flex on NLSC or YouTube with their cyberfaces and they ain't even gonna release them anyway. Like, what's the point? Seems like they insecure or something. :roll:

Agreed, just post a mod when it's done. Unless you're looking for feedback... but most modders don't and they still post previews.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:06 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:
TheCed wrote:I don't understand what's with these modders tryna flex on NLSC or YouTube with their cyberfaces and they ain't even gonna release them anyway. Like, what's the point? Seems like they insecure or something. :roll:

Agreed, just post a mod when it's done. Unless you're looking for feedback... but most modders don't and they still post previews.

I personally like previews for feedback and to encourage discussion. For example, my goal is to release the roster update as one pack. I think it's too complicated for everyone to download it one mod at a time. When it's all packaged together, then there is no confusion on if they have all the parts. If that's what you're referring to as flexing, then I'm not sure I'm on board. But if it's the PM for mods then that is definitely a problem and should honestly be banned in the rules.
bluejaybrandon

Postby TheCed on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:18 am

bluejaybrandon wrote:
PeacemanNOT wrote:

I personally like previews for feedback and to encourage discussion. For example, my goal is to release the roster update as one pack. I think it's too complicated for everyone to download it one mod at a time. When it's all packaged together, then there is no confusion on if they have all the parts. If that's what you're referring to as flexing, then I'm not sure I'm on board. But if it's the PM for mods then that is definitely a problem and should honestly be banned in the rules.

I wasn't specifically talking about you. If you're trying to provide a whole package with all your mods, that's cool, you know. As long as you mention it. I like your work so far, I ain't got no problem with you. (Y)

I'm talking about these dudes that want to be PMd or ask for likes on YouTube or whatever. They know people gonna go for it. It's like they want attention or something. If you post a mod and nobody downloading it, I don't see a problem. But if you know it's a mod that people gonna download, don't flex if you ain't gonna release it. I don't understand the obsession with likes.

I've seen some people who legit ask for a certain number of likes and then we ain't even see the damn mod. Like wtf, bro. :lol:
TheCed

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 am

Absolutely. Previews are fine if you're looking for feedback on whether they're ready, or you're showing a work in progress or a mod that's close to being released, but showing off something you have no intention of ever making publicly available isn't cool. Same goes for holding releases to ransom in terms of Likes, comments, and whatnot. It's just plain egotistical.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BPDHoplite on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am

I disagree with you all and unless this post gets 1000 quotes I'm leaving the NLSC and taking my work of the site!

BPDHoplite
Contributor

Postby Rosque on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 am

I thought modding was about improving the experience for yourself and for community. Some people take modding too serious. Also, since many have problem with youtubers monetizing with proper shoutout...how do you think 2K feels that you're making money off of 2K's creation? Just think about it. It is 2K's intellectual property - not yours and yet you monetize. But I don't have a problem with this. And neither should you.
Rosque

Postby bluejaybrandon on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:02 am

Rosque wrote:I thought modding was about improving the experience for yourself and for community. Some people take modding too serious. Also, since many have problem with youtubers monetizing with proper shoutout...how do you think 2K feels that you're making money off of 2K's creation? Just think about it. It is 2K's intellectual property - not yours and yet you monetize. But I don't have a problem with this. And neither should you.

Those that look to make money from modding recieve little to no actual profit. For every 5,000 downloads, they might get $5. To be clear, I’m not a fan of ad-links but they’re allowed so that’s how they work. In addition, many of the creators don’t monetize it at all. The donation button is totally optional. A modder created something and can be compensated for that time if others see fit.

The problem with youtubers is they are promoting something they didn’t create with no benefit going back to the creator. When a person on YouTube posts a video of 2k, 2k is getting free advertising. It’s obvious they are playing 2k and YouTube even auto-fills the game in the description. If they enjoy the video, they have the option to go buy the game. Thus, both the YouTuber and 2k profit.

With modding, if some YouTuber takes a mod and uploads a video, with no reference to the creator or where the mod came from, then the YouTuber is the only one profiting and it’s off of creative work they had no effort in creating. That’s where my problem lies.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Murat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:45 am

I started modding back in 2009 with 2K9, however I use them since 2004-2005 when I had NBA Live 2005. I remember dragging the picture of Mitch Richmond's jersey to have it in the game. Man I was 8 years old. Shortly after I discovered that there exist modding pages like NLSC, dotorg (if any of the guys posted in this thread remembers that then let's share beers). Around the time modders never requested donations or money. Just fun, simple fun. After years of conversations between fans (mainly NLSC, founder of the webpage Tim Tschirner left the forum to the skilled hands for Andrew for Electronic Arts) and EA, NBA Live became a modder-friendly game. I still remember how huge retro addons, street addons we had back in mid-2000s. Exceptional stadium models, player models, shoes, jerseys, front-end artwork that dropped our jaws in 2000s. I never saw anyone asking for donations. NEVER. A 100 MB mod would make our eyes pop. Now a stadium patch is 60 MB. How time flies.

Today these would be impossible. Would you create The Simpsons mod, or Rucker Park, or retro team project for a video game? Or 250 team projects, completely changed AI's. People did it back then. I can't imagine people doing these for no money, only hobby for today.
Last edited by Murat on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 am

The issue with YouTubers using mods and not giving proper acknowledgement is a tricky one. They're not necessarily claiming to have made the mods, they're just playing the game with the mods they have installed and so they get shown off in the videos. It would be nice if they gave a shoutout to the creators of the mods and dropped some links in the description, and some admittedly do.

The thing is, it's also outside our jurisdiction. We can criticise and condemn questionable practices that happen elsewhere, and individual modders could broach the subject when they see their work in a video, but apart from that, it's beyond our control. We've got control over what happens here in our community, though, so those are the more pressing issues in my view. Things like not uploading to stable or reputable hosting, running users through multiple ad links, jealously guarding information and trying to be exclusive or monopolise a certain type of mod...that's the kind of stuff we're facing here, and we can look to address that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby petarpavle on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 pm

Hey Andrew Please, can you somehow ask V01D to give me link for his new Paul George cyberface its so realistic and amaizing same like in the Real life :applaud: Please can you ask him please Andrew Paul George is my Favourite player in the NBA :bowdown2:
petarpavle

Postby BPDHoplite on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:44 pm

Lol.

Y noe ask itself?

BPDHoplite
Contributor

Postby bluejaybrandon on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 am

petarpavle wrote:Hey Andrew Please, can you somehow ask V01D to give me link for his new Paul George cyberface its so realistic and amaizing same like in the Real life :applaud: Please can you ask him please Andrew Paul George is my Favourite player in the NBA :bowdown2:

You’re kidding right? You’re trying way too hard. Sounds like a child crying to a parent for a sibling to share. Comments like this, if you’re even going to make them, are what the PM system are for. Then you can at least save face.

Ironically, this is exactly why the PM release is such an issue. Restricted access is clearly a problem.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 am

petarpavle wrote:Hey Andrew Please, can you somehow ask V01D to give me link for his new Paul George cyberface its so realistic and amaizing same like in the Real life :applaud: Please can you ask him please Andrew Paul George is my Favourite player in the NBA :bowdown2:

This is not what this thread is for, and no, I will not ask contact people on your behalf. If you want something, ask them yourself.

bluejaybrandon wrote:Ironically, this is exactly why the PM release is such an issue. Restricted access is clearly a problem.

Exactly.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby voidjointx on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 am

Go ahead and ban me
Donations Are Appreciated

https://www.patreon.com/voidjoint
voidjointx

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:59 am

Oh for christ sake... don't be so dramatic. How about you just release your mods like everyone else? So much drama over this stupid PM shit, just do what people are asking or don't release your mods at all. Simple as...
Donate if you'd like to:
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby voidjointx on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:20 am

im not being dramatic, i did released hundreds of mods..... lol nvm

voidjointx

Postby voidjointx on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:27 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:So much drama over this stupid PM shit

IKR i don't get why people and snakes losing their shite over this bullshit like i asked for a money to release mods through PM... bruh its just 1 file that i decided not to release it on the thread

voidjointx

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:29 am

V01D wrote:Go ahead and ban me

Seriously? You havn't even committed an offense that warrants banning. What you did do is frustrate certain members of the community. I understand where many of them are coming from, while having people PM you for mods isn't against the rules, its an inconvenience for the community. However, with that being said, look at all the support you received on your thread. Seriously, look through all the comments. I can pick out like over 90% positive comments. What more do you want? It's obvious that people appreciate your work, and that you are a talented modder.

I'll be honest.... you are being kind of a baby about this. I am totally against you saying to someone "Delete This" because you had already made a cyberface of the player requested, I think you were out of line there. Nobody has the rights to any NBA players here, anybody can make a face of a player, or request a face of a player, even if one is already out there. When I saw that, it surprised me, because I didn't expect that from you. In my opinion, it's an even bigger reward if 10 faces are out there of a player, but people flock to yours, I would think that you would want a lot of people making faces for NBA players you mod.

With that being said, I think that it's possible that adfly links/donations have something to do with your response on that thread. The more people that make faces, the more the possibility of you getting less downloads occurs, which in turn would be less chance at making a few bucks. I know modders don't make a lot of money, I know that it's pennies here and there, but I absolutely think it plays a factor in these situations sometimes. For example, and this is with all due respect to Mr. Star (he is a very talented modder), he wouldn't allow me to use his Stephon Marbury face on 2K16 for my draft roster, he said I could put a link to his mod on my page. That's because he wanted people to click the link, and him to get credit for that click. Again, no disrespect to him because I think he does amazing work, but it's an example of the behavior I am talking about. He also didn't break the rules with that, and I honored that request.

I think you should step back and take a look at not only the work you have contributed to the community, but the responses that were given to your work. Christ, you were praised up and down for it. I also think you should think about the purpose of modding, and this community. We are all pulling for eachother, nobody here is getting rich off of modding, we are just trying to enhance eachothers experiences with the games. I think it would be a shame to lose you, you have brought a lot of joy to users of the game with your mods.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby TheCed on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:51 am

If y'all expecting to make money off mods, you're totally wrong. Modding has never been about money. Modding is a community initiative against some gaming corporations who already charge a lot for unfinished games and in 2018, who are going to charge for updates and call them DLC. Modding is how game production should be: from the players to the players.

If you believe that you can make a lot of money off mods, you're totally wrong. There are so many other alternatives to make much more money. Your ad links are not gonna make you rich. If you get a lot of clicks you're gonna make at most 5 to 10$. It's nothing. However, if you constantly put in work and release your best work, you're eventually gonna have more people donating.

Keep that in mind.
TheCed

Postby voidjointx on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:55 am

Yeah i totally understand that i was being rude to him but it was more like a MEME thing if you check out my twitter i use alot of memes, yeah i get it he may not get the idea of that comment and Yeah there was a lot of positive feedbacks LATELY but before that there was barely any! I personally think feedbacks MUST be there tho
I see "someone" lowkey being a snake out here my man i know you hating on me and trying to get me banned lol...

voidjointx

Postby voidjointx on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:55 am

TheCed wrote:If y'all expecting to make money off mods, you're totally wrong. Modding has never been about money. Modding is a community initiative against some gaming corporations who already charge a lot for unfinished games and in 2018, who are going to charge for updates and call them DLC. Modding is how game production should be: from the players to the players.

If you believe that you can make a lot of money off mods, you're totally wrong. There are so many other alternatives to make much more money. Your ad links are not gonna make you rich. If you get a lot of clicks you're gonna make at most 5 to 10$. It's nothing. However, if you constantly put in work and release your best work, you're eventually gonna have more people donating.

Keep that in mind.

Who? Me?

voidjointx

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:55 am

Well only one ad.fly link in my opinion is perfectly fine, especially when you can just use adblock. (which by the way if you don't have one yet in 2018 you're missing out). Just to put in perspective I've made $12 in 3 years.... I don't mod that much but that's barely anything for the time I've put in.

But I agree that people shouldn't be getting so worked up over making money, but a few cents here and there is something at least.
Donate if you'd like to:
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K18 Modding