Thoughts on Controls

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Thoughts on Controls

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:32 pm

How's everyone liking the controls in NBA Live 18?

I'm really glad to have advanced passing and shooting controls in the game, and the similarity to some of NBA 2K's controls make switching between the two games a lot easier. Something that does bug me is that a regular crossover requires you to hold sprint, while it's normally a between-the-legs dribble. It may sound like nitpicking, but I feel as though the simpler move should be the one that's performed without the modifier.

My other gripe is with pick and roll control. It works well enough, but having to keep holding down the button to maintain the pick makes things a bit complicated and clumsy as you're trying to make your move. It's good if you want your teammate to slip, but I'd like them to set and not immediately roll or pop upon letting go of the P&R control. That way, I can concentrate on making my move as the ballhandler.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Thoughts on Controls

Postby Beavis_5000 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:02 am

I think they did it that way because when someone is running full steam ahead they aren't gonna be able to go between the legs like that. It's more realistic that someone can do quick, regular crossovers like that (not between the legs) while running full sprint.
Beavis_5000

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 pm

I guess, but I still feel that basic movement on the sticks should perform basic moves.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Beavis_5000 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Never really thought of it but it's a good point. Holding the dribble modifier button (turbo) does the absolute most basic crossover lol.

Not sure what they could do to change it though.
Beavis_5000

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 pm

They have approached it a little better in the past. I might have to revisit NBA Live 06 PC and mess around in the practice gym before I can make some specific suggestions for changes to the right stick moves and combos.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Beavis_5000 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Live 06, what a fantastic NBA Live lol.

Keep us updated.
Beavis_5000

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Still one of my all-time favourites, and an all around solid game. (Y)

I'll dust it off and see if I can come up with some decent suggestions based on elements of the old configuration.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:57 am

I feel like the Right Stick can be improved. My player doesn’t shoot immediately when I drive. It still makes spin animations.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Beavis_5000 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:09 am

I just thought of a gripe about the controls but my issue may be more to do with user error.

My issue is with the quick crossover where you flick the stick when running. Sometimes when I try to do that quick crossover my dude will do the slower, wide/hesitation type crossover instead as if I hold the stick too long.

The reason I feel like this may be user error is because although I feel like I am flicking the stick I may be holding it just enough to make my dude do the slower wide/hesitation crossover.

Another theory is that fatigue may factor in but I feel like most of the time my dudes stamina should be fine.

My last theory on this is the direction I flick the stick. I seem to never have an issue with it when my dude is running down the middle of the court. My issues is mainly when trying to drive in from the wings or coroner. Maybe I am subconsciously flicking the stick in a different direction because I am going in from a different angle. Or maybe I need to flick the stick in a different direction because I am going in at a different angle.

Any tips on this are highly appreciated lol.
Beavis_5000

Postby atlwarrior on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 pm

The controls are the best they've ever been in the series. It is the best part of the game. I can't really decide whether NBA Live or 2k has better controls. Both of them are pretty damn good right now.
atlwarrior

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 am

Beavis_5000 wrote:Live 06, what a fantastic NBA Live lol.

Keep us updated.

I need to find a game cube so I can play it
ThaLiveKing

Postby iceinmyveins on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Andrew wrote:How's everyone liking the controls in NBA Live 18?

I'm really glad to have advanced passing and shooting controls in the game, and the similarity to some of NBA 2K's controls make switching between the two games a lot easier. Something that does bug me is that a regular crossover requires you to hold sprint, while it's normally a between-the-legs dribble. It may sound like nitpicking, but I feel as though the simpler move should be the one that's performed without the modifier.

My other gripe is with pick and roll control. It works well enough, but having to keep holding down the button to maintain the pick makes things a bit complicated and clumsy as you're trying to make your move. It's good if you want your teammate to slip, but I'd like them to set and not immediately roll or pop upon letting go of the P&R control. That way, I can concentrate on making my move as the ballhandler.
I'm just generally having trouble with the dribble moves, trying to break ankles and struggling. Also, the "coaching" controls are not very accessible compared to 2K.

Now, even on 2K I can't focus enough to do the "L1 when controlling the power forward to customize matchup styles on the other team's PF" but it's easy enough going into the "general" in-game menu to dictate defense, rebounding, tempo, etc. On Live, you have to, what, hold down the up button and it just takes too long to set details before you get scored on. I've tried going into the actual pause menu, but even that is clunky.

My biggest gripe is substitutions. They don't seem to take effect as quickly as 2K's do. 2K has problems too, like sometimes I have to make an official substitution in the pause menu to get the players I want at certain positions (even when I have hybrid players under "Edit Player" having secondary positions established). On LIVE even sometimes I can't get a substitution from the pause menu to take effect when it would do so on 2k. Like even between a free throw, an in-game sub doesn't take effect. I can't be burning timeouts, ya know? I also firmly believe in substitutions/rotation changes being vital to winning a game, or losing momentum, etc. So hopefully I can work around it somehow effectively. I'd hate to lose in the playoffs due to "controls", lol.

The shot meter is also confusing the hell out of me. I'm still winning test games with my Spurs which has convinced me to start my franchise after the trade deadline this season, including a thrilling win over the Warriors after being down 15 points, but it says "contested" way too often and I either hold down the "shot" too long or too short. I want to keep the shot meter based on my timing as that's my style and makes me feel more in control than the game randomly deciding which shots go in based on percentages, so it's frustrating. I'm getting better though, but it seems very inconsistent and I've seen others complain about the "contested/guarded" shot issue. Never had any shot meter (was there even one?) on LIVE 10, so this is not a good thing!

EDIT: Forgot that I also severely struggle being able to select my CENTER quickly enough, or at all, based on the assigned button to select him with the overhead button menu. 2K's is a lot more effective, and on that I'm still not quick enough to get a block sometimes. I've been able to switch to Biyombo quickly enough here and there on LIVE 18, but in general it is very frustrating not being able to select Brook Lopez on my Lakers or a center in general when I need to to stop a score or to just play defense. It seems to work sometimes and not work sometimes, not sure what the deal is. I've tried hitting it quickly or a harder press or a slower press, not sure what seems to work better. Very frustrating!
iceinmyveins

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm

You actually need a pretty high dribbling rating to break ankles. Or else you'll lose the ball or get it stolen. Ankle breaking doesn't happen too often. Maybe a few times a game if you're really trying to them. Happens more on lower difficulty

If you take open shots you will have an opportunity to guarantee a make with good timing.

Switch to your center using R1 then L1. You need to work on your perimeter defense to prevent guys from blowing by you giving you no time to bring help defense. Let's just say Brook Lopez isn't your ideal defender in the middle so don't expect him to be blocking shots like crazy or stopping too many layups
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm a fan of the shot meter. I think NBA Live 16's was a little better, and probably a little more balanced with the percentages. NBA Live 18 has taken the 2K approach with Green releases that go in every time.

It's a pretty straightforward concept, though. Release the shoot button when you meter is at the top, in the green zone. Hit it, and it's going in. Get as close as possible, and it's going to have a high percentage of going in. Defensive pressure has an impact on success rate of course, and if you're smothered, the green zone disappears.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby iceinmyveins on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 pm

[Q] wrote:You actually need a pretty high dribbling rating to break ankles. Or else you'll lose the ball or get it stolen. Ankle breaking doesn't happen too often. Maybe a few times a game if you're really trying to them. Happens more on lower difficulty

If you take open shots you will have an opportunity to guarantee a make with good timing.

Switch to your center using R1 then L1. You need to work on your perimeter defense to prevent guys from blowing by you giving you no time to bring help defense. Let's just say Brook Lopez isn't your ideal defender in the middle so don't expect him to be blocking shots like crazy or stopping too many layups
:lol:

Thanks for the R1-L1 tip. I will try that. Trade deadline ends tomorrow, so I'mma do a final roster change and then start franchises for the long haul.
iceinmyveins

Postby iceinmyveins on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Andrew wrote:I'm a fan of the shot meter. I think NBA Live 16's was a little better, and probably a little more balanced with the percentages. NBA Live 18 has taken the 2K approach with Green releases that go in every time.

It's a pretty straightforward concept, though. Release the shoot button when you meter is at the top, in the green zone. Hit it, and it's going in. Get as close as possible, and it's going to have a high percentage of going in. Defensive pressure has an impact on success rate of course, and if you're smothered, the green zone disappears.
Ah. Yeah, most of the time I get the scrunchy-looking yellow high point on the meter. I think that is bad? Like it's almost at the top, and the green area potential shows briefly but then goes scrunchy-yellow when the ball leaves the shooter's hands. I think that means I'm holding it too long? Early release seems to be tricky, too. And of course, I'll see the green zone on some shot attempts and just misfire. Tricky, but I'm getting better and seeing the green shot go in is a comforting feeling (like on 2K17).
iceinmyveins

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:54 pm

If it's what I'm thinking of, it means the shot is heavily contested, removing the green automatic make zone.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 18