Blake Griffin Traded to Detroit

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Who won the trade?

Detroit Pistons
29%
LA Clippers
29%
Both teams
No votes
Neither team
14%
Fuck off
29%

Total votes : 7

Blake Griffin Traded to Detroit

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 am

Per Woj.

The Clippers and Pistons have agreed on a deal to trade Blake Griffin for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic, a first-round and a second-round draft pick, league sources tell ESPN

Clippers are includig Brice Johnson and Willie Reed in the trade, league sources tell ESPN.

Sources: Protections on Detroit's 2018 first-round pick headed to Clippers -- 2018: 1-4; 2019: 1-4; 2020: 1-4; 2021: unprotected. Detroit will send a 2019 second-round pick in the trade too.

First impressions are that this is a great trade for the Clippers. Trade an injury prone star on a mammoth contract for a really nice young player in Harris, a likely late lottery pick, and filler. Sets the table for a rebuild, but if they aren't able to deal Lou and DJ also keeps them in the hunt for the 8 seed.

Pistons... they had to do something. Their season has been falling apart, and they really didn't have a direction. Now they're like a poor man's version of the pre-injury Pelicans.. I think they gave up too much for such an injury prone player, but Blake is still the best player in the deal, so we'll see I guess.
Last edited by Lamrock on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamrock

Re: Blake Griffin Traded to Detroit

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am

Blake isn't as good of a go-to player as he thinks. Especially ever since he stopped dunking.
Like you said still the best player in the deal but I think Harris is pretty damn good and with Bradley they got good value out of the trade. Balmer preparing to rename the team the LA Rivers. Doc trying so hard to make Austin the star.

I'm so glad they traded Chris Paul so I don't have to root for them anymore
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 am

Can't wait to see the LA Rivers and the LA Big Ballers face off in the WCF for the next decade!
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 am

It's a stop-gap desperation move for the Pistons, but Griffin is a legit talent, even if he isn't a true franchise player. As you guys noted he's the best player in the trade, so if he's healthy he should be able to help the Pistons at least be somewhat competitive.

With CP3's departure in the offseason, it seems the writing was on the wall for the Clippers' run as a 50-win team to come to an end. Those are some solid assets in terms of blowing it all up and starting over.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:39 pm

[Q] wrote:Blake isn't as good of a go-to player as he thinks. Especially ever since he stopped dunking.
Like you said still the best player in the deal but I think Harris is pretty damn good and with Bradley they got good value out of the trade. Balmer preparing to rename the team the LA Rivers. Doc trying so hard to make Austin the star.

I'm so glad they traded Chris Paul so I don't have to root for them anymore

If they can't resign Bradley,whose a FA after this season, the trade is nothing more than Tobias Harris + a 1st rnd pick for Griffin. Which isn't bad for Detroit, providing Blake can stay healthy.
Uncle Drew

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:20 pm

I was reading that the plan was to trade Blake's long term deal for shorter contracts to try to go for Lebron
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 pm

[Q] wrote:I was reading that the plan was to trade Blake's long term deal for shorter contracts to try to go for Lebron

this sounds like the guy at my work who wants to quit and trade crypto currency all day
Sauru

Postby Kevin on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Damn 2015 and blake was locking the door to make jordan sign the deal with them along with cp3 and now dj's the only one left behind lol.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Just goes to show that trading for your son and giving him favourable treatment isn't a blueprint for great team chemistry. Who'd have thought?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:06 am

Andrew wrote:Just goes to show that trading for your son and giving him favourable treatment isn't a blueprint for great team chemistry. Who'd have thought?

Happens in kids sports all the time lol
I once played on a team with the coach's son
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:27 am

I did too, but I was lucky that my coach wasn't like that, and we all got along really well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:14 am

LeBron acknowledges that it's a business, but points out the double standard

"When a player gets traded, they were doing what's best for the franchise," James said. "But when a player leaves, he's not loyal, he's a snake. He's not committed. That's the narrative of how it goes, so I definitely know that firsthand."
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 am

I know the Clippers likely aren't done dealing, but that's an interesting team if healthy:

Pat Bev
Bradley
Gallo
Harris
Jordan

Three known defensive studs in your starting five (if that's what Doc would roll with), and then a bunch of solid contributors off the bench (Teodosic, Lou Will, Thornwell, Rivers, Dekker, Harrell, Marjanovic, etc.); kind of reminds me of when the Nuggets unloaded Anthony and they excelled for a few seasons with no clear star.
[Hyperize]

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

lol no way Rivers would bench Rivers. He’s going to start alongside Bradley and be the primary ballhander, gotta give the franchise player more touches.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 am

[Q] wrote:LeBron acknowledges that it's a business, but points out the double standard

"When a player gets traded, they were doing what's best for the franchise," James said. "But when a player leaves, he's not loyal, he's a snake. He's not committed. That's the narrative of how it goes, so I definitely know that firsthand."

He's got a point, but context is also important. Some players have handled leaving via free agency with more dignity and class than others.

Speaking of double standards, LeBron seems to have a hot take about everything, but pouts when someone dares to have an opinion about him and his career. People like him, Durant, and LaVar Ball seem pretty ready to dish it, but unwilling to take it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:13 am

cavs4872 wrote:I know the Clippers likely aren't done dealing, but that's an interesting team if healthy:

Pat Bev
Bradley
Gallo
Harris
Jordan

Three known defensive studs in your starting five (if that's what Doc would roll with), and then a bunch of solid contributors off the bench (Teodosic, Lou Will, Thornwell, Rivers, Dekker, Harrell, Marjanovic, etc.); kind of reminds me of when the Nuggets unloaded Anthony and they excelled for a few seasons with no clear star.

I expect Jordan, Bradley or LouWill to be moved by the deadline. They want to clear capspace for a FA in 2019. Getting off Blake's deal was huge.
Uncle Drew

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 am

If they bottom out and seemed destined to languish in the NBA basement, though, I'm not sure they'll have much luck attracting a marquee name.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 am

Andrew wrote:If they bottom out and seemed destined to languish in the NBA basement, though, I'm not sure they'll have much luck attracting a marquee name.

Even if they wanted to join a basement team, you think any big name really wants to play for Doc Rivers right now? He's kind of turning into the George Karl of the now NBA. Former Celtics have beef with him, former Clippers now (because of clear favoritism towards Austin), etc. His reputation in this league isn't what it once was.

With that being said, I would think that moving on from Doc would be a solid choice for the Clippers. Coming from a Celtics fan, I consider him one of the most overrated coaches of all time.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 am

For sure. There's clearly an issue with nepotism, and the laughable attempts by his other kids to defend him have just made the situation look even worse. It's going to factor into free agents' decisions, no question.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby [Q] on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:32 pm

I figured he'd go to 23 with 32 retired for Rip Hamilton
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm

A chance to go back to his college number, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:53 am

Good. Screw the Clippers. That team thought they were hot shit for not doing anything note-worthy.

Blake needs to stop whining as much as he does. Hopefully now that he's away from Doc he'll complain less. Then again, SvG isn't less of a complainer either. At least Andre is rocking it out in Detroit after a subpar year last year. Dude's playmaking has improved so much. Blake addition helps in that regard too, the Pistons don't really have any opportunity creators.
Jackal

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 am

The trade is pretty inconsequential anyway; a shakeup just for the sake of it, which is good for us fans, plus the dude looks good in a Pistons jersey (which is not unlike the Clippers').
[Hyperize]

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:33 am

Blake looks less of a ginger in that Pistons jersey, so that's a good thing.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball