Looks like roster editing is coming to NBA Live 18!

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: Looks like roster editing is coming to NBA Live 18!

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 am

Hmm that's a good idea editing dunk ratings to get realistic dunk packages for players
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby atlwarrior on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 am

Nah, unfortunately it won't change the dunk packages but it will determine how often players dunk in game. Like it will no longer be easy to dunk in traffic. If a player doesn't have an angle or opening they'll just do the layup. No more dunking on three defenders at once. It's a lot of good jelly layup animations in this game too. I like the balance. (Y)
Contact dunks still happen but they're more rare now as they should be.
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:19 am

That might be useful feedback to pass along to EA. Obviously, future games should still make use of the full ratings scale, but if a rating of 85 is closer to what a rating of 90+ should perform like, that could be useful information for them in terms of tuning the game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Well like I said all the ratings that were used are Rashidi's 2k work and not every player dunk is an 85 or below. I think he scaled it based on how many dunks a player does in a game but there are exceptions like Ferguson who does dunk contest type dunks in game. He rated him a 95. There are certain players that are deserving of a 90+ dunk rating like Deandre Jordan and maybe Blake Griffin but most players in the NBA are not deserving of a 90+ dunk rating.

Unlike NBA Live, 2k has 3 different ratings for dunks. I almost averaged all 3 together and that would've been the dunk ratings for each player but then there weren't enough dunks. Instead, I just used the Driving Dunk rating by itself and it seemed to give the game a good balance of dunks and layups.

What I like about this year's game is even when I lowered Westbrook and LeBron to 85 they were still able to perform the same dunks just not the REALLY GOOD ONES as often. Hell, Paul George has a 75 and he still did a windmill in game.

People might ask me why do I use 2k's rating scale on NBA Live. It's because they are exactly the same. The only difference is NBA Live allows you to go down all to way to 0 and 2k's goes from 25-99. If you pay attention to NBA Live's default ratings, no player has below a 25 attribute. For example, no center or power forwards are rated a zero 3pt rating. Even if they are Deandre Jordan or Andre Drummond.
atlwarrior

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:16 pm

atlwarrior wrote:Well like I said all the ratings that were used are Rashidi's 2k work and not every player dunk is an 85 or below. I think he scaled it based on how many dunks a player does in a game but there are exceptions like Ferguson who does dunk contest type dunks in game. He rated him a 95. There are certain players that are deserving of a 90+ dunk rating like Deandre Jordan and maybe Blake Griffin but most players in the NBA are not deserving of a 90+ dunk rating.

Unlike NBA Live, 2k has 3 different ratings for dunks. I almost averaged all 3 together and that would've been the dunk ratings for each player but then there weren't enough dunks. Instead, I just used the Driving Dunk rating by itself and it seemed to give the game a good balance of dunks and layups.

What I like about this year's game is even when I lowered Westbrook and LeBron to 85 they were still able to perform the same dunks just not the REALLY GOOD ONES as often. Hell, Paul George has a 75 and he still did a windmill in game.

People might ask me why do I use 2k's rating scale on NBA Live. It's because they are exactly the same. The only difference is NBA Live allows you to go down all to way to 0 and 2k's goes from 25-99. If you pay attention to NBA Live's default ratings, no player has below a 25 attribute. For example, no center or power forwards are rated a zero 3pt rating. Even if they are Deandre Jordan or Andre Drummond.

Yeah, I've noticed that no player has a rating below 25, I went and turned some down to 0 though. Dunk packages and ratings are separate, because when you create a player, you can give them basic to hall of fame dunks. My issue with the game, mainly in the Live Run mode, is that these little 6"1 players can do crazy dunks. They need to add some crazy NBA Jam type lay ups for those players.

I was actually messing with the ratings earlier today and testing game play, to see if a median of 80 in the ratings can some how improve game play. Anything lower than 70, 65 I put to 55, depending on what it was and anything lower than 50 I put to 0. I did it because I want to see if it affect the overall logic of the game. I want player who SHOULD dominate, dominate, you get that in some cases, but having certain player's weakness lower than 60 and having their strengths around 80, could bring balance to overall game play.

The game at times feels so inconsistent, sure that's not the reason why, but I want to experiment.
ThaLiveKing

Postby atlwarrior on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Well Vertical ratings, strength and inside shot do play a factor as well regarding on how often a player dunks. A player can have 55 dunk rating and still perform certain dunks as long as they have a high enough strength, vertical and inside shot rating. Idk why inside shot ties in with dunks but for some reason it does. Image

edit: i want to post videos eventually. I also do not think I will ever have the time to finish every team simply because it is very time consuming and this game does not have a quick edit feature which would be very convenient. Furthermore, you can't even share rosters. (N) Baby steps though. What matters is we have the ability to edit rosters again.
atlwarrior

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:08 pm

YEah, I wish they had a universal ratings editor where you can choose to edit each position individually.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:44 pm

atlwarrior wrote:Well like I said all the ratings that were used are Rashidi's 2k work and not every player dunk is an 85 or below. I think he scaled it based on how many dunks a player does in a game but there are exceptions like Ferguson who does dunk contest type dunks in game. He rated him a 95. There are certain players that are deserving of a 90+ dunk rating like Deandre Jordan and maybe Blake Griffin but most players in the NBA are not deserving of a 90+ dunk rating.

For sure. I was just using that as a general example of how some tuning might be required so that higher ratings might work a little better without being overpowered. There will always be exceptions, and there needs to be a level of rating that accommodates the exceptional.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Andrew wrote:For sure. I was just using that as a general example of how some tuning might be required so that higher ratings might work a little better without being overpowered. There will always be exceptions, and there needs to be a level of rating that accommodates the exceptional.

Actually the dunking in NBA Live 18 is fine as is IMO. There just needs to be more discipline on what players get rated what to reflect what they are doing in real life. Prime example is how 2k doesn't even have most players at 90+ dunk ratings anymore but NBA Live still does.

EA's rating style is a bit outdated and it is hurting the game play experience. The game can be so much better but you have things like Wade still being rated like he's still in Miami. It's understood they do this because he's a fan favorite and has been great over the years but he' s older now and dammit I demand he play like the old man that he is :)
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:41 pm

I agree. Unless you have a retro/Legend version of a player, they should reflect their current abilities.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:05 am

This is some gameplay of what the gameplay looks like using Rashidi's 2k18 edits in NBA Live 18. Pretty Damn good (Y) . These are on the default sliders too. Enjoy!

LeBron goes off in the 2nd half after struggling in the 1st. KD struggled the whole game but woke up in the 4th quarter.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I had to change Livingston's playstyle from Slasher to Playmaker after this game. His 3pt is set at 45. Idk why he shot so many 3's smh.
Last edited by atlwarrior on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
atlwarrior

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:07 am

I feel like they got the styles mostly right for everybody. There was a few that I did change though.

What exactly did you do with the roster? How did you use 2k edits doe live
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby atlwarrior on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am

It wasn't easy I had to take pics of the 2k ratings from my phone and copied them to each player in NBA Live. So far I have done the Rockets, Cavs, Warriors, and Thunder.

Certain ratings I had to get creative. For example, for the rebound rating I had to average the offensive rebounding, defensive rebounding, and boxout all together in a calculator and that was my rating for the rebounding. For defensive awareness I just used the defensive consistency. I also used the Intangibles for the clutch rating because that's what it functions as in 2k.

Most players dunks are dropped down like in 2k as well which is why you don't see too many dunks anymore. Ex: Lebron's dunk is an 85 like it should be instead of being over 90. It is tedious to do all this but it makes the gameplay a lot better and more realistic as you can see.
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Shame we can't share custom rosters with all those edits. Hopefully next year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Unfortunately! They better bring it next year since they brought us all this through a patch lol.

Furthermore, that's not even the worst of it Andrew. So I just so happen to try and change the player minutes for each of the teams I did and saved it to the file. I played a game and it worked fine buuuuuut once I turned my game off and turned it back on all the player minutes were reset to default. I told myself damn "must've forgotten to save it but I'm sure I did...hmmm". So i did it all over again turned the game off and it happened again.

So there you go! The player minutes do not save after you turn the game off . Not to be confused with the lineup rotations because that actually works which doesn't make sense to me. It's only the player minutes that reset to default. That is definitely something we should bring to EA's attention. It could piss a lot of people off if they spent all their hard earned time working on those only to find out they reset after you turn your game off. :lol:
Last edited by atlwarrior on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Ouch, that's a lot of work to lose! I'll pass that bug report along, hopefully that can be fixed up.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby iceinmyveins on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 am

I'm HYPED to do all the trade deadline moves and fire up my franchise modes (Spurs & Lakers) for the long haul! :D What a deadline!
iceinmyveins

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 am

Exactly why we needed roster editing. No need to wait for the official update to start playing with updated rosters.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am

While they probably won't ever get around to allowing custom draft classes, I hope that they add the ability to download/upload rosters & sliders a la 2KShare. If I'm not mistaken, Live 08 has this feature, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that Live 19 would have it, if released.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 am

It's a must for NBA Live 19, which at this time we can assume will be released.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 18