Playstyles, Attributes and Traits (Live Run)

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Playstyles, Attributes and Traits (Live Run)

Postby Beavis_5000 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 am

Now that we have played this game for months I was just wanting to know everyone's opinion on the limitations we have on the Playstyles.

I, like many others, was pretty disappointed with only being able to rank up the 6 attributes. I still feel the same way but after playing Live 18 in depth now I keep finding myself questioning whether or not it is necessary to put these limitations in the game.

Obviously these limitations were put in for balancing reasons. Take off these limitations and the really good players in Live are going to be super dominate. I consider myself pretty good at this game but I know there are people who are just way better on the sticks. Trust me when I say, we don't these people to have too much power lol.

Even allowing us complete freedom to chose which 6 individual attributes we want to rank up may be too much power. Could you imagine playing against an elite player with maxed out Dribble, Dunk, 3 Point and Shot off the Dribble?

So I am conflicted between wanting the ability to have more freedom with ranking up attributes on my players and understanding the consequences of the top players also having this ability.
What does everyone else think?

I want everyone's opinion but specifically the opinions of those who have extensively played 3-4 playstyles or more.
Beavis_5000

Re: Playstyles, Attributes and Traits (Live Run)

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:42 am

I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't get the one trait that prevents ankle breakers but I think the limitations are probably for the best. Otherwise you'll see 99 rated 7 footers doing crazy stuff or people just driving and dunking more than they already do. You want people to be good at the game because they know how to play, not because their character is 99 in everything with no limits. Plus, it's a lot easier to level up in Live than 2k

I don't really get too attached to my character as I've been playing mostly ultimate team as of late.

Limitations I really don't mind in single player because it's just me and the CPU. The online experience needs to be fair and balanced or else it won't be any fun.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Beavis_5000 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:04 am

[Q] wrote:I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't get the one trait that prevents ankle breakers but I think the limitations are probably for the best. Otherwise you'll see 99 rated 7 footers doing crazy stuff or people just driving and dunking more than they already do. You want people to be good at the game because they know how to play, not because their character is 99 in everything with no limits. Plus, it's a lot easier to level up in Live than 2k

I don't really get too attached to my character as I've been playing mostly ultimate team as of late.

Limitations I really don't mind in single player because it's just me and the CPU. The online experience needs to be fair and balanced or else it won't be any fun.

I agree.

How much limitation do you think is too much tho?

"You want people to be good at the game because they know how to play"

I very much agree with this. I feel like in Live 16 there may have been too much freedom. It seems like everyone could have dribble, dunk and shoot and even play defense. The ranking up process was longer and you could rank up more. We had people running around jacking shots off the dribble and being able to dunk.

In Live 18 I feel like no matter what Playstyle you are using your gonna have to know how to play. Looking back at Live 16, everyone could just dribble, dribble and dunk and shoot. Bad basketball IQ was rewarded more so than in Live 18.
Beavis_5000

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:08 am

Yeah just look at how many idiots just run into defenders and try to shoot right in front of them? I'd hate for them to not be penalized for taking dumb shots simply because they've maxed out their guy

The system for picking a play style is fairly logical. You pick your favorite position, then you pick how you want to play based on the position you picked. I like playing defense so my first character was backcourt defender. I didn't expect to be able to do certain things well and I understood why
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:32 am

Even though you can't choose every skill you want to upgrade, at least the traits upgrade the others by a small amount, and it definitely makes it to where your skill matters in your player. I have my Slasher who has the gold steal trait, so he can pick some pockets; obviously not on the level as a Backcourt Defender, but at least his stealing is not something to scoff at.

Also, like 2K18, your players that you level aren't really a 98/99 overall, since The One's rating system for your player is different than the actual ingame rating (much like Ultimate Team), and if you created him for a custom roster, he is only gonna be around the high 80 overall range. I look at it as the player's skill determines how good they are, not the overalls. I couldn't tell you how many 98 Point Shooters I've encountered that had some of the worst shot selection I've ever seen.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 am

Perhaps there could be more freedom, but I think you only have to look at the way NBA 2K has approached things with their MyPLAYER Archetypes to see how it can get really unbalanced and cheesy. While a good idea in theory, the hybrid Archetypes they introduced in NBA 2K18 actually made things worse in terms of min-maxing and such, with gamers finding ways to combine overpowered Archetypes and create seven foot players that are impossible to stop at the rim, and can also effortlessly drain threes. As long as you're tall and long, you can also grab a lot of rebounds and swat shots too, so they don't miss out on not being defensive-oriented Archetypes.

I'd maybe change things up a little in NBA Live by being able to upgrade more attributes across the board, and I like the idea of traits being permanently activated similar to NBA 2K's Badges, rather than something you swap in and out. You definitely want to be careful about letting any position and Archetype becoming a beast in all facets of the game however, so I think they've got the right idea in general. It probably just needs a bit of tweaking moving forward.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:42 am

Even with traits activated, no archetype feels broken in Live from what I've seen. Hybrid Wings are jack-of-alls, but they can't shoot or dribble well without traits, Stretch Bigs can shoot some of the highest three point percentages and crash boards, but they can't block like a Rim Protector or Post Anchor, even with traits.

I agree with traits working like badges, since there are some traits that I would like to have without swapping them out every time.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:49 am

Swapping them in and out just feels a little less sim than I'd like. I get the concept and it works, but tendencies and skills are something that all players (original or created) should always have active, not something they need to choose between and activate between games. As long as they're balanced, and can properly interact with each other, it should work out fine.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 18