What Are You Playing Right Now? (NBA Live 18 Edition)

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

What Are You Playing Right Now? (NBA Live 18 Edition)

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:23 pm

So, what's everyone's current mode of choice in NBA Live 18?

I've mostly been playing The One (Pro-Am Tour, some NBA games) and LIVE Events so far, along with Play Now games (both NBA and WNBA). I have played a little LUT, and want to really get stuck into that. As I mentioned in the Franchise topic, I've got plans to make a go of that, if only to devise some quality constructive feedback on how it can get deeper and better in future games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: What Are You Playing Right Now? (NBA Live 18 Edition)

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:03 am

I deleted my player, so I have to go through the whole grind again, but I've been playing a lot of 3v3 to get my RP up. I'm going to restart THE LEAGUE soon, I was having fun in that mode.
ThaLiveKing

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:56 am

I kept my original player once I capped him but it's nice they let you have multiple characters and let you switch easily between them
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Beavis_5000 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:06 am

3v3
Beavis_5000

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:38 am

I haven't played much since my character hit his Max, but occasionally I'd hop on for a game of UT but not much more than that
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:22 pm

[Q] wrote:I kept my original player once I capped him but it's nice they let you have multiple characters and let you switch easily between them

It also allows you to get the Trophy/Achievement for creating a player, if you created your original one in the demo. And aren't we all about that Pavlovian response when the Trophy/Achievement notification pops up? ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Played the Legends LIVE Event today. Picked up all the gear, including a Pippen throwback jersey.

Definitely made me wish there was more retro content outside of LUT, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:38 am

I bet you're stoked about the pippen jersey, especially since there won't be a Jordan one.

I stayed up late the other night to get the Glove shoes (zipped)
I already have the unzipped version but I like the zipped ones better
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Beavis_5000 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:52 am

I played Live Events for the first time purely to get the Pippen jersey.

Considering I can't stand playing the CPU I must say it was dreadful. What made it worse is the jersey was the very last thing I unlocked.

I won the very first game. Lost the next two. Won the 4th game and was crushed because I got another tattoo and still didn't get the jersey. It took me about an hour to finally get the Jersey.

It was a tedious process and really makes me salty that we can't get gear in a similar way by playing Live Run.
Beavis_5000

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:40 am

This was my complaint about the process before. They bury the jersey at the end, forcing you to win 5 times to get it. It was worse before when you needed two or three wins to get 1 unlock
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 am

Getting the Pippen jersey was a hassle for me, especially when you have to deal with players who don't have chemistry or like to hog the ball. I'm glad they at least changed it to where one game gives you a random item, with the jerseys usually being last (although somehow I got Elgin Baylor's uniform as the first item within the crate a couple of days ago). Since quite a bit of people on my friend list prefer 2K18 over Live, it leaves me no choice but to play with random players, hoping that I can get the rewards, which has caused me to miss some uniforms in the past due to poor cooperation.
RayRay_953

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 am

Yeah that's part of the problem is that not only are you required to win all those games but you have to win it with strangers who may or may not suck at the game or are ballhogs
And to be asked to do so in such a short amount of time. Essentially you have to do it in one sitting or have only one day to do it. That's why I had to stay up late the other night for the shoes. It was 3am but the event was over like at 6 am so I had to get it right then and there
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:26 am

There was the Alonzo Mourning throwback uniform that was in an event that lasted two days, but since you had to win two games just to get one of the rewards, the fact that the legends team in the second game (Stockton, Iverson, McGrady, Garnett, and Olajuwon) were OP, and the fact that there were barely any reliable teammates to work with (to the point I only unlocked two of the crate items within those two days). With the Pippen event, I used my Stretch Big so I could get the 5,000 XP boost for each win (He's currently a 90 overall), and I had several good looks open, but people didn't want to give me the ball because my overall was in the 80's.
RayRay_953

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 am

Oh man I wanted that mourning one. I tried a few times and maybe got two wins before giving up. The worst part was winning part 1 easily then losing part 2 then having all the teammates leave with no way of getting more teammates
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:00 am

Yeah, after getting a couple of the tattoos first, I realised that the t-shirt and Pippen jersey were going to be unlocked last. I was playing with randoms so there were a couple of games that were very sloppy with ballhogging and the like, but also one where I ended up being the host of the session after someone dropped out, and actually got to run the point. We moved the ball a bit better then. A couple of the people I played with were pretty good too, and we won those games more easily. We also had an epic comeback game where the CPU led 13-8, but some great defensive plays held them at bay and let us get the win, which was very fun and satisfying.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:24 am

It's much easier when you play LIVE Events with your friends or people you know (that's how I got the Jordan VII's from the demo). I propose we make a topic where you can play with the NLSC members whenever an interesting LIVE Event takes place.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:40 am

The ability to form regular squads (as in 2K Pro-Am) would be great. In the meantime, organising some meet-ups where some regulars can manually squad up sounds like a good idea.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Beavis_5000 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:56 am

Live Events is the worst play mode to get bad teammates imo. When I am working toward getting that item and I get into a couple games in a row with dudes that seem to not know what they are doing it makes me want to throw my controller threw my TV screen lol.

What makes it especially bad is that CPU defense is generally better than most players defense. In Live Run, if someone is jacking up shots or etc then I have a chance to still impact the game and come out with a win. For example, in Live Run, someone jacks up a shot, I get the rebound, it is easy to put that shot back up for a dunk. Against the CPU you can't put that right back up as easily because it will go into a contested lay up animation.

CPU also plays way better help side defense than most players.

I feel like the exceptionally good defenders can defend better than the CPU. However, the CPU plays way better defense than your average player. So when your playing against 5 CPU players, your up against a full team of good defenders.
Beavis_5000

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:10 am

I'd much rather play LIVE Events with friends. It's possible, of course, but not always feasible.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:20 am

Beavis_5000 wrote:Live Events is the worst play mode to get bad teammates imo. When I am working toward getting that item and I get into a couple games in a row with dudes that seem to not know what they are doing it makes me want to throw my controller threw my TV screen lol.

What makes it especially bad is that CPU defense is generally better than most players defense. In Live Run, if someone is jacking up shots or etc then I have a chance to still impact the game and come out with a win. For example, in Live Run, someone jacks up a shot, I get the rebound, it is easy to put that shot back up for a dunk. Against the CPU you can't put that right back up as easily because it will go into a contested lay up animation.

I feel like the exceptionally good defenders can defend better than the CPU. However, the CPU plays way better defense than your average player. So when your playing against 5 CPU players, your up against a full team of good defenders.

Yes while human teammates are consistently leaving Steph Curry wide open for 3s or leaving their man to guard the guy bringing the ball up the court. Idiots.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:22 am

What's everyone's preferred camera angle for LIVE Events and The One?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Beavis_5000 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:14 am

[Q] wrote:
Beavis_5000 wrote:Live Events is the worst play mode to get bad teammates imo. When I am working toward getting that item and I get into a couple games in a row with dudes that seem to not know what they are doing it makes me want to throw my controller threw my TV screen lol.

Yes while human teammates are consistently leaving Steph Curry wide open for 3s or leaving their man to guard the guy bringing the ball up the court. Idiots.

lmao, exactly!!
Beavis_5000

Postby Beavis_5000 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:14 am

Andrew wrote:What's everyone's preferred camera angle for LIVE Events and The One?

I go with either Baseline Low or Baseline High. Can't remember exactly which one.
Beavis_5000

Postby [Q] on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:13 am

Andrew wrote:What's everyone's preferred camera angle for LIVE Events and The One?

I play baseline high for everything, even ultimate team. It's not perfect but I like facing the same way on offense and defense. Wish I could see into the corners on defense, though.

I played the event last night where everything in the crate was a throwback jersey which is cool. You're basically guaranteed one every time you win. I got caught up playing with my new character which I have barely played with since I've been playing ultimate team since I maxed my first guy. It's a nice change to play as a bigger guy so rebounds and even blocks come easier and post scoring is fairly simple so you don't have to rely on forcing the drive for an easy bucket. I tried to build a LeBron type player, 6'8" 250, but play maker wasn't an option so I settled for hybrid wing like giannis. He plays more like a big man or PF than a SF so he's not as fast or as good of a 3 point shooter as I would like, but I've hit a few corner 3s with him. Can't wait til I get some of these traits like steals and passing to make him a well-rounded beast
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:43 am

I personally use Baseline Low. It feels somewhat like the 2K Camera, and the screen faces the same way, as noted before.

I'm also going to try avoiding missing any uniforms as long as it remains winning one game to unlock an item. I've been receiving better luck with good teammates early in the morning (10-12 PM EST) as opposed to later on in the day.
RayRay_953

Next

Return to NBA Live 18