In-Game Roster Editing Needs

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

In-Game Roster Editing Needs

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:23 pm

While I don't think we'll ever see editing tools quite like what we had with unofficial external utilities such as RED MC (or good old DBF editing with NBA Live on PC), I feel like the future of customising NBA 2K could be through the in-game functionality. To that end, since we're getting into Wishlist season, I thought we could make a list of features and functions that could allow us to customise the game without much need for external manipulation. Keep in mind that this would be a list of features and changes to be added or made on top of what's already in the game.

Off the top of my head:

• Ability to trade/release/sign multiple players at once, instead of having to make transactions player by player.
  • Access to bio data such as Draft information, in both Create and Edit Player.
  • Team Re-Branding/Editing (using the tools from MyGM/MyLEAGUE)
  • Create-a-Team (again, using the tools from MyGM/MyLEAGUE)
  • Custom texture importing and sharing
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: In-Game Roster Editing Needs

Postby Kenny4118 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm

I would love to see these changes as well.

1. The ability to change 3pt line distances
2. Additional options for backboard to also include goals coming from the ceiling of a building
3. Having much more freedom on court to add logos wherever (similar to placing created logos on uniforms)
4. Having additional stadium types (smaller style gyms that have all seats on sidelines and ability to adjust for scoreboards on walls rather than hanging from top
5. The ability to change the amount of seating, that actually changes the visual look of seating rows, also add flat benches rather than just seats
6. Return the 2K 16 create a player options for facial manipulation
7. Add many more options for shading hair and skin color
8. In addition to facial options, more body types would be helpful as well
9. Make hair many more hair styles and ability to customize the length of hair, thickness and texture of facial hair
10. Ability to create or add tattoos to normal created player menus, or also remove/edit tattoos and facial hair for all in game players
11. Have player rating presets included for all players that can speed up rating manipulations further (already declares player types based on ratings, so it would be possible to make those proactive rather than reactive, but also ability to change them further without losing the player type like changing difficulty sliders; as they change to customafter adjusting from preset. It should I guess be a range rather than a setting) example: set a power forward to be a tenacious rebounder, but also be able to knock down open 3pt shots without changing to an All Around player
12. The ability to overlap logos on court floor to make more elaborate court designs out of several pieces of art work
13. Remove preset city for expansion or at least add the ability to move cursor off of those presets and name them accordingly as customizer desires (this would allow for more seamless transitions to change to college set up or high school setups
14. Have the ability to change playoff modes to add more rounds, in order to make NCAA tournaments with larger fields than 16 teams.
15. Have the ability to adjust for even larger leagues and the ability to change scheduling rules so that if your playing a short season, you can select playing home and away games against division and conference opponents without playing opposite conference
16. Allow for more rule changes prior to starting season to include changing shot clock time lengths from off to 40 seconds, half court violations time from off to 10 seconds, remove defensive 3 second violations if desired
17. Add in more defensive sets to include various types of full court presses and add in some press breaking features for the offensive team, basically layering the offensive and defensive sets
18. Add in more specialized defensive instructions ex. being able to set defense to start out in a specific zone, and auto switch to man to man it the ball is fed into the post, or if the shot clock is nearing expiration, also allow for zoning defense on baseline inbounds
19. Ability to create coaches faces, body types, and wardrobe
20. Be able to customize mascots or at least remove if you have edited a team
21. For NCAA or High School rosters, have the ability to download new custom rosters at the end of each season to better simulate player graduation and incoming players.
Kenny4118

Postby Kenny4118 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:02 pm

22. In quick edit mode, have the ability to lock in specific ratings, tendency, hot zones, for individual players so that a straight line team adjustment will not affect those specific ratings that you are happy with. And/or breakup tendency and ratings into smaller categories so that there is more control in the quick edit mode. This would speed up wholesale roster edits tremendously
23. If they are going to have hidden teams, make sure they are usable for all game modes and not just play now
24. Remove the limitations on uploaded team designs (at least the PS4 version limits to 60 user uploads, haven't tested to see if PC version is the same) So that I can have either a larger pool of college teams or high school teams ready to plug in and play (when designing High School rosters I had to go through the trouble of finding friends willing to upload my designs in order to preserve more than 60.
25. And whatever glitch that happens in the uploaded designs that scrambles uniform designs, or changes specified floor designs to revert to original or some other uploaded design. Figure it out and fix it...this is especially frustrating when using online uploader to customize a court, completing design, then removing those designs because of the upload limits, just to have to redo it after it glitches....not cool at all!
Kenny4118

Postby Daex on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:14 pm

I think it would be really helpful to have normal in-game solutions to add and remove teams from the roster. Also, it should be possible to play MyLeague with less than 30 teams.

In terms of external utilities, I mean if 2k was willing to help only a little, something like a basic feature to Export Roster as JSON and Import Roster from JSON, we would we able to develop such utilities very easily. Of course, there's a bit of a challenge in figuring out how various IDs and enumerations work with each other, but this would be trivial with plain text exported roster.
Daex

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 am

As far as external modding needs for the PC version, I'd love to see the game support the functionality of the Modded folder plugin by default. In other words, there'd be no need for that plugin, as the game would already have a folder you could dump custom files into, and they'd be loaded ahead of what's in the containers. That's how it was in NBA Live PC from 2003-08, and while it's been great that the plugin has been developed, it would be even more convenient if the game just had that functionality at release.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TGsoGood on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:45 pm

1. The Ability to move real players from the roster to the Created Player pool so that we can use them in multiple rosters.
2. As stated earlier, we need the ability to create smaller gyms and High school gyms so that we can make rec/ pro am leagues and high school leagues.
3. Ability to edit the league rules prior to starting a MyLeague.
Last edited by TGsoGood on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Like a player cloning tool that takes up a CAP spot? That could be very handy indeed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TGsoGood on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Access to bio data such as Draft information, in both Create and Edit Player.

This is absolutely needed so that we can make accurate retro rosters.
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods

TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 pm

I've been wanting it for...well, close to two decades now. There's a lot that can be done in-game, especially these days, but locking us out from certain attributes and bio data does limit how accurate we can be with certain types of custom rosters.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TGsoGood on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:27 am

Also 2K needs to fix the bug where rosters are not visible when trying to load them into play now and MyLeague

TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Kenny4118 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:54 am

TGsoGood wrote:Also 2K needs to fix the bug where rosters are not visible when trying to load them into play now and MyLeague

I had that problem on PS4 with my High School roster on it...had to send an email to 2K, after about 10 days they responded with 3 options, two were useless, and the last was to erase the game from my PS4 and re-download...the re-download took almost 13 hours...very upsetting!
Kenny4118

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Just remembered another in-game roster editing function I've always wanted: All-Star roster editing. Not just changing lineups, which we have had before, but being able to assign and remove players to and from the East and West All-Stars.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby dwayne12345 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 am

Great thread. It would be nice for the MyGM/MyLeague guys if we can get the option of changing retired player's front office role preferences.

For example not having Dwyane Wade or LeBron automatically want to become a head/assistant coach when they retire. It would be nice to see more guys want to become GMs and Owners as well.

Not sure how deep the value that handles that is hidden though.
dwayne12345

Postby Kenny4118 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:45 am

Andrew wrote:Just remembered another in-game roster editing function I've always wanted: All-Star roster editing. Not just changing lineups, which we have had before, but being able to assign and remove players to and from the East and West All-Stars.

Also include the rest of the All Star weekend participants as well. I would like to sometimes change shooters and dunkers. Also the end of year World vs USA game following the following years draft class being installed. I wouldn't mind getting a chance to edit the teams, and the players a bit before that game without actually having to plan for that following free agency.
Kenny4118

Return to NBA 2K18