Blown layups

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Blown layups

Postby Uncle Drew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:41 am

Anybody know how to correct this? I mean, I expect a few missed layups, but the games I've played, there have been about 4-5 per game. Is there a particular way to use the stick or button to make them?
Uncle Drew

Re: Blown layups

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 am

As with jumpshots, the rumble feedback is a cue to the optimal release point, which does increase their chances of going in. A player's Badges (specifically Acrobat) also have an impact on success, providing a little bit of a boost. However, there's definitely an issue with layups this year. It's not that NBA players don't ever miss layups, but as most of us have experienced at one time or another, it's too easy to miss an easy look, just because a defender is in the vicinity. To that end, it's the frequency, rather than the fact that it happens at all. Some should miss and be altered by defensive pressure, but not to this extent.

Turning up the layup sliders and reducing defensive pressure sliders might help - assuming you're playing a mode where you can adjust the sliders, of course - but could also have negative effects elsewhere, making it too easy to score in general. It seems like our best bet is to master the timing on layup releases, which would be easier if they hadn't taken the meter away. Another frustrating design choice there.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:12 am

Relevant: https://twitter.com/Beluba/status/942062844232613889

Though, I think they should patch the meter into NBA 2K18 at least.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Andrew wrote:As with jumpshots, the rumble feedback is a cue to the optimal release point, which does increase their chances of going in. A player's Badges (specifically Acrobat) also have an impact on success, providing a little bit of a boost. However, there's definitely an issue with layups this year. It's not that NBA players don't ever miss layups, but as most of us have experienced at one time or another, it's too easy to miss an easy look, just because a defender is in the vicinity. To that end, it's the frequency, rather than the fact that it happens at all. Some should miss and be altered by defensive pressure, but not to this extent.

Turning up the layup sliders and reducing defensive pressure sliders might help - assuming you're playing a mode where you can adjust the sliders, of course - but could also have negative effects elsewhere, making it too easy to score in general. It seems like our best bet is to master the timing on layup releases, which would be easier if they hadn't taken the meter away. Another frustrating design choice there.

Thanks for the insight. I'm just perplexed as how many layups are in, then all of a sudden, pop out. This infuriates me to no end.
Uncle Drew

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:13 pm

I'd say they wanted to make sure layups weren't too cheesy and that defenders could alter them, but it feels like they went a bit overboard. Defenders in the general vicinity have too much of an impact on attempts that most NBA players should make nine times out of ten, but instead miss far too often in NBA 2K18.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Layups are an interesting part of basketball games. In Elite 11, they radically changed how layups are done and even NBA Playgrounds created some controversy with layup timing and eventually a meter. I remember getting frustrated in NBA 2K7 missing wide open layups on fast breaks. I think for open ones, you shouldn't need to time, but ones that are in traffic or with a defender there should be more to it than a button push
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Possibly, but I do think it comes down to tuning. If a defender is three or four steps behind you, you have a good release on the button/stick, and a reasonably high layup rating, then you should be finishing more often than you do in NBA 2K18. A defender being in the vicinity seems to have too much of an impact. Obviously, a defender breathing down your neck can and should have an impact, even if they don't block the shot, but as it stands, it sometimes feels like a local Under 12s comp, where the kids are still learning to shoot and perform layups.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Valor on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:45 am

They went the wrong way about it with regards to layups i reckon, should've made it harder for players to drive all the way to the rim (after zig zags etc, I might add) for those easy chances rather than make it so that those easy chances will bounce out cause they don't want it to be too cheesy.

It's a sad state of affairs when I make a lot more, much tougher layups IRL than my player does in 2K18.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 am

Exactly. Getting to the rim isn't easy for everyone, but most can finish good looks once they get there. You do have the players who shoot poorly inside, but that's what ratings are for.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18