Is Derrick Rose worth anything?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Is Derrick Rose worth anything?

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:15 am

No surprise here as he's been "away" from the team since his latest injury. At this stage in his career, is he more trouble than he's worth? Sure, he still put up decent scoring numbers, but with the injuries and him mentally checking out all the time, you kinda want some consistency at your PG spot if you are looking to win the title.

I've never thought that he was an MVP-caliber player even when he won it. But to me now when people think of him they think of the MVP Rose, not who he is today. Would you want him on your team?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: Is Derrick Rose worth anything?

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:27 pm

For added context: Derrick Rose Reportedly Taking Leave from Cavaliers to Evaluate Future in NBA

While I wouldn't say he was hands down the MVP in 2011, I still believe he had a good case, and wasn't an inappropriate choice at the end of the day. However, all the injuries since then have clearly taken their toll, not only physically but also mentally. It's understandable of course, but it doesn't really bode well for his future in the league. If the fire's not there, so to speak, he's unlikely to even be just a solid player for the Cavs or anyone else.

It's a shame because the talent was there, and I guess still is. He's even shown some of his old explosiveness at times. It just seems like there's been too many setbacks, to the point where it appears as though he's wondering whether he wants to keep playing. Granted, that's just me speculating, but that's the vibe I get from that report. Again, it's understandable after so many setbacks and unlucky breaks, but if he can't work through it, it's difficult to see him being a consistently productive player in any role.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:24 pm

It's such a sad story.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:24 am

Is it just a sport problem ? Is he really in mental shape to continue ?
He looks some kind depressive.
sticky-fingers

Postby air gordon on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:49 am

On a 1yr veterans minimum contact? why not
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:28 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Is it just a sport problem ? Is he really in mental shape to continue ?
He looks some kind depressive.

If nothing else, it's sounding like his heart isn't really in it anymore.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Was it ever, or was basketball just what he happened to be good at?
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:27 pm

He showed competitiveness with hard-nosed play early on in his career, and he did pursue a career in professional basketball in the first place, which requires a significant amount of passion, commitment, and continued dedication. He also kept trying to make a comeback and continue his career long after securing guaranteed contracts that could've allowed him to walk away and still end up with a lot of money. With that in mind, it's fair to suggest that at one point, his heart truly was in it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 pm

He let someone take his SAT for him just so he can continue to play basketball. He was willing to cheat and did, he did love the game. Rose could have done an Anthony Bennett after he got drafted but he still played hard and improved his game, he likely loved the game even as a pro.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby volsey on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:38 pm

koberulz wrote:Was it ever, or was basketball just what he happened to be good at?

I mean if you watched literally a few games of him ever you'd know his heart was in it. I don't know how someone could become the MVP of the league of the highest level if they didn't exhibit passion and heart... He was a competitive aggressive point who played an aggressive physical style of play, and paid the price. Even if his heart isn't in it anymore could you really blame him? Coming off MVP, getting a semi-freak incident, working so hard to return to your former level of play only to have injury's over and over. Would be frustrating beyond anything I've endured that's for sure. Especially when it is somewhat out of your hands.

I've always struggled to interpret his mannerism, however it wouldn't be a stretch to assume there's some depression or confidence seeding in somewhere.

Forget the vet minimum, leaving all that Adidas money on the table is not worth retiring. With the expectations, and his low salary, I really hope he at least perseveres until IT comes back and he can take an old man's bench role with Wade.

Fucking shame. Honestly last season with New York he was still a joy to watch when healthy, and I don't know the numbers but weren't they somewhat competitive when he did actually play???

Either way I hope the best for him. Glad Cleveland seems to be dealing with his situation somewhat better than NY did (even though it was mostly his fault).
volsey

Postby NovU on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Heart talk usually is unprovable bullshit and case with Rose is no different.

Kid used to play with so much passion and fire just as most other superstars, everyone saw this and this is why we all miss good old days Rose so much. And such big heart and passion is exactly the reason why he came to become such a broken man. Playing at the level he did, was just too much for his body to handle. But he still kept coming back and pushed himself over his limit which in result was a series of injury.

I am sure you would feel so down too if you couldn't meet fans' and your own expectation due to your body keep breaking down only to become a joke of century. Heart? Its bullshit talk.

I wish to see him back on the court strong but my expectation is well kept just as for Wade. These old cats arent worth much anymore tbh imho. Harsh reality,
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:20 am

volsey wrote:
koberulz wrote:Was it ever, or was basketball just what he happened to be good at?

I mean if you watched literally a few games of him ever you'd know his heart was in it. I don't know how someone could become the MVP of the league of the highest level if they didn't exhibit passion and heart... He was a competitive aggressive point who played an aggressive physical style of play, and paid the price. Even if his heart isn't in it anymore could you really blame him? Coming off MVP, getting a semi-freak incident, working so hard to return to your former level of play only to have injury's over and over. Would be frustrating beyond anything I've endured that's for sure. Especially when it is somewhat out of your hands.

I've always struggled to interpret his mannerism, however it wouldn't be a stretch to assume there's some depression or confidence seeding in somewhere.

Forget the vet minimum, leaving all that Adidas money on the table is not worth retiring. With the expectations, and his low salary, I really hope he at least perseveres until IT comes back and he can take an old man's bench role with Wade.

Fucking shame. Honestly last season with New York he was still a joy to watch when healthy, and I don't know the numbers but weren't they somewhat competitive when he did actually play???

Either way I hope the best for him. Glad Cleveland seems to be dealing with his situation somewhat better than NY did (even though it was mostly his fault).

Well said, completely agree.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:30 am

Rose would apparently lose $80M from his Adidas deal if he retires, so I think he'll end up coming back.

I don't think he's really worth signing. Between the injuries, this incident and his disappearance last year, you can't rely on him to play. And when he does, he's a below average starter. Reminds me of Gilbert Arenas after the injuries and gun incident. Washed up player who should still be in his prime, but is more of a distraction than he's worth.
Lamrock

Postby air gordon on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 pm

He's made enough money on and off the court. Doesn't need the rest of the adidas contract. Unless Reggie and the rest of his leech crew think otherwise

Walk away, Drose. Take a buy out, sign a day contract with the bulls, and retire. Reinsdorf can take care of him if he needs the financial help
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 pm

need or not i dont see anyone walking away from 80 million
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Well Dave chappelle walked away from 50 mil. Plus rose signed a deal with adidas through 2025 so there's no way his body or his mental state makes it to 2025 without imploding
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:09 pm

there is a huge difference in a comedian and an athlete though. you can be funny and get paid to be so until you die, athletes have a limited window in which to make their money. still it really depends on how he is financially. how has he handled his money.
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:21 am

dude can still go to trade shows, sore knees and all, and sell autographed memorabilia. what a scam that is btw
Jump.
air gordon

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:14 am

I bet ya that in China he is still worth more than his actual weight in diamonds. He could literally go Kevin Spacey right now and people from that country would still love him. I've noticed there is a pretty huge database waiting for Rose to comeback to his 2012 level. They wouldn't even call it a miracle if that happens, they think it's just a matter of time and context.
I Hate Mondays

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:01 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:I bet ya that in China he is still worth more than his actual weight in diamonds. He could literally go Kevin Spacey right now and people from that country would still love him.

That type of treatment is reserved for their god-emperor Kobe, not Rose.
Kobe could slap Marbury and Kobe would still get to leave China in one piece.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:56 am

air gordon wrote:dude can still go to trade shows, sore knees and all, and sell autographed memorabilia. what a scam that is btw

Yeah, surely there'd be a way for him to fulfil some contractual obligations and at least get some of that money by being an ambassador for adidas. They could probably come to some agreement if he doesn't want to leave it all on the table.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:59 pm

I guess the Cavs players didn't want him to leave for good but like Iverson a few years ago he wasn't interested in a reduced role and maybe not even playing in games at times.

Since that article mentioned it, turns out the correct answer in the Beasley vs. Rose debate was Westbrook, who at the time everyone bashed the Sonics for taking 4th. Also UNATHLETIC Kevin Love over O.J. Mayo, Eric Gordon or Joe Alexander.
benji

Postby [Q] on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 am

Lol what happened to Joe Alexander? So much hype on him
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:50 am

Passing on a player because he's unathletic could still be considered a decent reason, much better than the Suns passing on Kawhi because he was nervous and made his suit a sweaty mess in his predraft interview.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball