NVIDIA Users - Performance this year?

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: NVIDIA Users - Performance this year?

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:07 am

Hadley88 wrote:I dont know what the fuck they did between 2K16 and 2K17 but it broke the Performance.

It's even start with 2K16, and slightly better on 2K18 than on 2K17 on my 970
2k15 4K 60 FPS (DSR)
2k16 2K 60 FPS (DSR)
2K17 60 FPS FHD
2K18 2K 60 FPS (DSR)

Hadley88 wrote:This is fucking unacceptable especially since the Game does not look any better than 2K16!

(Y)
sticky-fingers

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 am

The performance issues are actually crowd-related as you've speculated.

From what I've understood from a WWE 2K forum, when you select a specific AA level (1-2-4-8) in the main menu, that AA is also applied to the crowd. So instead of having neat edges for just a few important items that you actually look at during gameplay...like idk, the actual players, stanchions, dornas, ball, jersey textures and maybe bench stuff and general sideline items that are close to the action, you suddenly have hundreds of items (as in hundreds of crowd people you can actually see on the screen) demanding a lot of video memory so they can rock that AA setting you had in your main menu.
That was not a typo, I've wrote WWE 2K because that game has never been optimised for the PC community since like its first release in 2016 and it has the same crowd problems. FPS are a joke during some entrances and some far-away camera views. So this crowd-related problem is general thing for the 2K sports games. The AMD Video Cards also seem to handle these AA demands better for the WWE 2K game as they do for NBA 2K. No idea why but it looks like it's a fact - could be software related.

To draw a line here and sum up things, that's why your game will lag like crap for some specific arenas and camera views, during fastbreaks or inbound plays -> the PoV gets very far away and more crowd people are presented on the screen, therefore there are more demands for your video card.
That's why you get better performance when you lower the AA or the crowd settings for both NBA and WWE 2K. It's because 2K are smart and aware of their problem. Noticed how when you lower the crowd setting, you actually get fewer people in the crowd for both games instead of getting lower quality textures for the spectators? That's because what they roll with right now actually makes a difference, you get less items on your screen and therefore the demands are lower -> your games run better. The later option wouldn't make a difference.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:The performance issues are actually crowd-related as you've speculated.

From what I've understood from a WWE 2K forum, when you select a specific AA level (1-2-4-8) in the main menu, that AA is also applied to the crowd. So instead of having neat edges for just a few important items that you actually look at during gameplay...like idk, the actual players, stanchions, dornas, ball, jersey textures and maybe bench stuff and general sideline items that are close to the action, you suddenly have hundreds of items (as in hundreds of crowd people you can actually see on the screen) demanding a lot of video memory so they can rock that AA setting you had in your main menu.
That was not a typo, I've wrote WWE 2K because that game has never been optimised for the PC community since like its first release in 2016 and it has the same crowd problems. FPS are a joke during some entrances and some far-away camera views. So this crowd-related problem is general thing for the 2K sports games. The AMD Video Cards also seem to handle these AA demands better for the WWE 2K game as they do for NBA 2K. No idea why but it looks like it's a fact - could be software related.

To draw a line here and sum up things, that's why your game will lag like crap for some specific arenas and camera views, during fastbreaks or inbound plays -> the PoV gets very far away and more crowd people are presented on the screen, therefore there are more demands for your video card.
That's why you get better performance when you lower the AA or the crowd settings for both NBA and WWE 2K. It's because 2K are smart and aware of their problem. Noticed how when you lower the crowd setting, you actually get fewer people in the crowd for both games instead of getting lower quality textures for the spectators? That's because what they roll with right now actually makes a difference, you get less items on your screen and therefore the demands are lower -> your games run better. The later option wouldn't make a difference.

Excellent summary of the situation. Important to keep in mind. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby elsoulas on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 am

The analysis is correct. But another issue why it plays smoothly in Fullscreen Windowed Mode and not in Full Screen. Moreover why changes in Nvidia CP dont seem to apply ingame.
elsoulas

Postby StyxTx on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Just curious. How many people play using the display port rather than an hdmi cable? I've found hdmi to be less able to handle high resolutions smoothly in gaming.
StyxTx

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:06 pm

I use both (one on TV, one on Monitor), but I dont think video port impacts performances.
You just can go on higher res. with display port
sticky-fingers

Postby StyxTx on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:45 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:I use both (one on TV, one on Monitor), but I dont think video port impacts performances.
You just can go on higher res. with display port

It may not all by itself, but combined with the system settings, things running in the background, etc, it makes a difference on most of the games I have. Civilization 6, for one. I've done quite a bit of testing with hdmi and display port.

I know it doesn't completely eliminate some of the crap I've seen in 2k, but I never see some of the problems people talk about, at least to the extremes they mention, but I know there are some issues with 2k. I'm pretty sure they have no idea how to fix them.

As far as PS4 or XBox, I can't say since I buy primarily PC games.
StyxTx

Postby Rosque on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 am

I Hate Mondays, holy crap...that DID improve my performance. And it is really noticeable. Even on my R9 280 gfx card
Rosque

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:50 am

Rosque wrote:I Hate Mondays, holy crap...that DID improve my performance. And it is really noticeable. Even on my R9 280 gfx card

What worked for you?
I Hate Mondays

Postby Rosque on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:35 am

Lowering crowd details. Saw 10% average FPS bump and minimum by 20%. Those wide angles were killing me. Now it is much better. Numbers are 68 now and 62 before for average and 52 now and 43 before on min FPS.
Rosque

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:15 am

Rosque wrote:Lowering crowd details. Saw 10% average FPS bump and minimum by 20%. Those wide angles were killing me. Now it is much better. Numbers are 68 now and 62 before for average and 52 now and 43 before on min FPS.

That shouldn't be an option though. The game should run smoothly with normal settings. I am glad it worked for you though
I Hate Mondays

Postby Rosque on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:13 am

This wasn't the case for 2K17 so it seems like something went to crap this year. At least for me.
Rosque

Postby RobDavis on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am

Been running the game for a while now with no hiccups. I was getting stuttering a while back cant remember what I did to fix it. I'm Running the game at 4K DSR but instead of the normal DSR setting, I'm running a custom resolution. You can do this under Change resolution in the Nvidia control panel.

Now that I think about it the custom resolution may have fixed my stuttering.

Here is my config..

Monitor: LG Ultrawide Monitor 21:9
CPU: i7 4770K
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
Cable: Display Port

2K18 Video Settings, everything under advanced is on or maxed

NBA 2K18.png

Nvidia Control Panel

1.PNG

2.PNG

Custom Resolution settings

3.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Producer | YouTuber
Creator of Fictional College Hoops PC Mod NBA 2K19/20/21
Sub to My Youtube Channel Below
YouTube

Fictional College Hoops 2K23 Mod
Fictional College Hoops 2K21 Mod
Fictional College Hoops 2K20 Mod
Fictional College Hoops 2K19 Mod
RobDavis

Postby LeGod on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:09 am

Hey. Just wanna ask.

Is there a low quality Spalding logo on the back of the Boston Celtics TD Garden stanchion?
LeGod

Postby elsoulas on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Guys I bought a Gsync monitor and everything is so smooth so it's has to do with vsync poorly implemented. Definitely.
elsoulas

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:50 am

After about 3 weeks of not touching this game at all, I fired up NBA 2k18 today and something strange is happening.
No matter what arena I play in, or what camera view I am using, the game starts to visibly and horribly stutter around the ~9 minute mark of the first quarter. No matter what AA settings I use, or even if I set my game graphics to freaking medium (was using ultra before with no problems), I get this stutter after about 3 minutes played. It usually happens faster if there is a inbound play after a dead-ball situation.

While I have been away, my game installed some Windows 10 updates, updated some NVIDIA Drivers, etc. I can't tell if this is on 2K, the GPU drivers or the Win10 updates.
Anyways, is anyone else having the same problem?
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:19 am

Maybe a combination of the three. I'll have to play a game myself (I haven't really touched 2K18 in a while either, except to get some screenshots for articles), though I'm still running Windows 7.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Don't forget Intel security breaches, Meltdown and Spectre.
Microsoft released a KB update for Windows, Nvidia did it too.
It could be that.
sticky-fingers

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 pm

New driver update, new cumulative Windows Update, new 2K update, still the same problem. Nothing changed. The game is unplayable for me. It makes your head spin if you look at that stuttering more than 2 minutes, believe me, I've tried it in my attempt to play one freaking game.
I Hate Mondays

Postby BPDHoplite on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:53 am

Anyone using a GTX 1050? How is that?
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby masonjason48 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 am

depends on what you expect for me 25-32fps overall is a referance.and I have no obsession about super fps values. my visual philosopy of velocity and fluency if a game not in a slow motion and not make me sick then it's alright.that mean my limits about 20-40 fps in my book under 20 is a serious problem.
masonjason48

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:03 am

Under 60 FPS I can certainly feel and see the difference. If a game is even running in 50 fps, It looks a bit choppy. 60 is perfect for me. An example ill give, Final Fantasy 13 for the PC has a 30 FPS lock, and it is far from smooth. In fact, it kind of ruins the experience all together with how choppy it is.

I play on a 50 inch tv, and have an RX 480 card. My tv can only produce 60FPS when a CPU is hooked up, so all my games work at 60 FPS. All of my 2K17 videos (and other games) ive made and posted are me playing at 60 FPS, all the cuts-scenes are also at that FPS. The nice thing about that is, consoles don't achieve the 60 FPS throughout (Especially not on cutscenes) so even hooked up to a tv with my game maxed out, I can still achieve better performance.

I've heard people say that 60 FPS sucks, or that they can't even play it on that FPS. This is ridiculous, so what did you do all those years on consoles when you were never getting above 60 fps? Were they not playable? I've notice that those people seem to have a snobby approach towards gaming.

Just like people who criticize those who use a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard for a first person shooter. Somehow, the people who use controllers are labeled noobs, or can't possibly be skilled at the game when using the controller, or they are somehow less of a gamer because they use a controller. This is also far from the case, and just part of the snobby PC gaming people that still exist out there.

You can say that you prefer a higher FPS (Like 144), or that you prefer 4K, but lets not act like 60 FPS or 1080P isn't perfectly acceptable and playable. I feel like my games run and look amazing, I will continue to play on a TV for that reason.

Also, I use Xbox One wireless controllers for my PC, and they work awesome.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 am

Some games are definitely more suited to a controller. Considering the history of gamepads, joysticks, and other peripherals on PC, I'd suggest any snobby PC gamer who insists they're a console thing is ignorant of the history of the platform they profess to love so much.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Apparently, my problem was caused by the mods. Probably there were too many of them or some mod in particular made my game stutter after 3 minutes of gameplay. Or maybe the external file tool needs an update after all of these core patches 2K released. (the modded folder we have now is an update version of last year's modded folder and there is only one version of it - this is not what I'd describe as up-to-date)
I've removed all my mods and now playing my game at High preset setting, with the AA set to 4 at a stable frame rate, no matter the arena/situation.
Taking a closer look at my graphics with these settings, this is probably the quality you'd get on a PS4 Pro/XBOX One X, which is still beautiful. I miss those small things and details tweaked by modders, but this game is gorgeous enough to make me enjoy playing it like it is, no mods applied.
Since I want to switch to console gamming this summer, I might as well get used to no mods applied and no Ultra settings. No regrets for the moment.
I Hate Mondays

Previous

Return to NBA 2K18