'Transracial' man born white feels like he is Filipino

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

'Transracial' man born white feels like he is Filipino

Postby benji on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:32 am

http://www.wtsp.com/news/transracial-ma ... /491290902

Ja Du, born a white male named Adam, now considers himself a Filipino. Turns out the purple ride he drives around in is called a Tuk Tuk, an Asian-derived vehicle used for public transit in the Philippines he says.

Ja Du is part of a small, but growing community of people who considers themselves transracial. It refers to someone born one race, but identifies with another.

Sound weird? Not to them. Ja Du says he grew up enjoying Filipino food, events and the overall culture.

“Whenever I’m around the music, around the food, I feel like I’m in my own skin,” he said.

“I’d watch the history channel sometimes for hours you know whenever it came to that and you know nothing else intrigued me more but things about Filipino culture.”

If you look on Facebook, where we found Ja Du, groups dubbed transracial are popping up with dozens of members.

Dr. Stacey Scheckner is a licensed psychologist with a B.A. from Washington University, plus M.A. and doctorate from Florida State. She hasn’t had a client who wanted to change their race but has worked with many clients wanting to change their body in some way.

Ja Du hasn’t told his family yet because he believes they will laugh at the notion of changing your ethnicity. The public was very critical of Dolezal and might be for him as well, but Scheckner believes everyone should be more understanding.

“If that’s who they are and they want to celebrate it and enjoy it, then you have to think what harm is it doing? All they want to do is throw themselves into that culture and celebrate it.”

“I think before we get offended, we need to take a step back and think about what is the harm.”

Many might question Ja Du’s intentions or say that he is a perfect case of cultural appropriation.

He knows this can be a problem, but says he’s not trying to take advantage of anything.

“I believe people will [take advantage] just like other people have taken advantage of their identity to get their way, but the difference between me and them is that I don’t want that. I think that we all have the freedoms to pursue happiness in our own ways,” he said.

That brings up another major change with Ja Du. He is also transsexual and is considering changing his gender as well. He has spoken to his mom and family about that.
benji

Re: 'Transracial' man born white feels like he is Filipino

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm

First of all, 'Ja' or 'Du' is not a even a common Filipino name, or even the ethnic ones.

Second, tuk-tuks are mostly Thailand's, public transport such as jeepneys, tricycles, and pedicabs rule the streets here.

Third, being transexual and wanting a gender change is fine benji but you wanting to be a Filipino might not be a good idea.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lean on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 pm

WHO WOULD'NT WANT TO BE PINOY? WE'RE THE MOST POWERFUL RACE IN THE WORLD AND HAS THE BEST PRESIDENT IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM!
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:28 am

I identify as 6'3".
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 am

shadowgrin wrote:First of all, 'Ja' or 'Du' is not a even a common Filipino name, or even the ethnic ones.

Second, tuk-tuks are mostly Thailand's, public transport such as jeepneys, tricycles, and pedicabs rule the streets here.

Third, being transexual and wanting a gender change is fine benji but you wanting to be a Filipino might not be a good idea.

Typical white dude who likes to eat Asian food and probably has Asian fever. Yeah it would make more sense if he drove a jeepney, but this pisses me off because when it's convenient for him or even just in his everyday life without him even actively thinking about it he can just be a "normal" American. He's basically trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Most Americans in this country that look like me aren't even considered "American" by a lot of people and often are targets of racially based attacks or hate crimes. "Go back to your country" these ignorant fucks would say but we were born here so where do you want us to go?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bowdown on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:34 am

Its whatever man. Do what makes you happy. Maybe he is full of shit but he is only fooling himself. Fuck it.
bowdown

Postby Sauru on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 am

i am glad to have lived long enough where we now celebrate people who have mental illnesses
Sauru

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm

None of you watched Atlanta?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby NovU on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 pm

First and foremost love and respect to Pinoy President who's often vilified by media here but a real people's president in reality. That said... why in the blue fuck would you wanna be a pinoy unless you are a braindead moron?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Kevin on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:25 pm

I can get behind being trans and doing your own thing gender and body-wise... but identifying as another race is - I think - non-negotiable
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby benji on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 am

Jae, post if you see this.
benji

Postby benji on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am

[Q] wrote:Typical white dude who likes to eat Asian food and probably has Asian fever.

HEY MAN, SHE'S SERIOUS:
I’d watch the history channel sometimes for hours you know whenever it came to that and you know nothing else intrigued me more but things about Filipino culture.
benji

Postby Stress Fracture on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 am

Wants to be a pinoy, but he can't even ride the right three wheeled vehicle we have here.

He's not serious, he just want attention
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm

I wish to identify as an American... too bad wishing or hoping to be something isn't enough a lot of times.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to Off-Topic