Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby air gordon on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:40 am

Jackal wrote:I
Lonzo Ball is everything I hoped D'Angelo Russell would've been when he was drafted. He had an amazing amount of points but I'm not about that. That kid is always, always looking to pass the ball. I love that. Give me a PG who scores 10 points and dishes out 10-12 assists over a PG who scores 20 and has 2 assists any day of the year. I wish Russell well in Brooklyn, rooting for him to do well but not too well.

Russell was pretty solid the other day against ATL. was getting his teammates involved the first 3 qtrs and in the 4th hit a few big shots while still setting up teammates.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:43 pm

air gordon wrote:Russell was pretty solid the other day against ATL. was getting his teammates involved the first 3 qtrs and in the 4th hit a few big shots while still setting up teammates.

I saw some boxscores and saw he was getting buckets. He had a single assist in one boxscore though and that too on a highlight play to Moz I think. Like I said, good, but not too good hopefully.

Solid all around game by the young guys. Luke's rotations are whack. If someone is playing well, he should play them. Randle was great this game. That's been two games in a row where he's shown good effort. He's locked in defensively (that block on Wall!), he's under control (most of the time) on offense and he actually set good picks! Ingram had another good game with a double double. I felt Kuz forced some shots but gotta give it to him that he's not afraid to take shots when the game is on the line. Even Jr. had a double double thanks to his strong dives and putbacks.

Good first* win, Washington is no longer the unbeaten team in the East.

*Won against the Suns but that doesn't really count.
Last edited by Jackal on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:57 pm

Ball may have shot poorly, but he managed the game. 1 turnover in 39 minutes is promising, and quite impressive so early in the season.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 am

too bad lin was hurt. putting russell in a situation where he wasn't the sole playmaker/work him for scoring opportunities suits him.

caught the 1st half of last nite's game. lala did look good
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 am

air gordon wrote:too bad lin was hurt. putting russell in a situation where he wasn't the sole playmaker/work him for scoring opportunities suits him.

caught the 1st half of last nite's game. lala did look good

The Russell trade is going to be an absolute stinker if they don't land 2 max FA's next season. I am holding off blasting the front office on that till then.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 am

Holy shit what a game. I learned from the new Orleans game to keep watching no matter how bad they're getting killed. Boy was I rewarded for that.

Kuz did force a few shots but they were shots he normally hits. They all seemed off to the left.

Hopefully Julius has learned what it takes to get more playing time.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Good showing tonight, I still don't like the starting lineup who all got taken out in the 4th when they continued to suck
This Ennis guy needs to go. He's terrible. I'd rather have Caruso at this point. They need a vet like Beno or someone to come in and stabilize the backup PG position or fuck it don't play Ennis have clarkson & hart run the point
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:31 am

The starters were atrocious tonight. The Randle-Kuzma-Brewer-Hart & Clarkson line-up was really getting shit done last night, Clarkson got pulled for pounding the ball too much in favor of Ennis though. Another good showing from Randle this game. Real shame they lost that one. Brook, get your ass a bit more in the paint man, let the three be a luxury.

I was hoping the Lakers could've gotten Jameer Nelson before he was picked up by the Pelicans. Knows his role, veteran, seems even-keel...but it wasn't meant to be.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 am

What is with Lonzo shooting so poorly? Scoring efficiency was his strength in college.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 am

He's not facing college-level competition anymore.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Yeah, I am just wondering though what the issue is, if he's missing regular shots that he used to take or major issues in shooting motion as worried. One thing people raved about Ball in college was excellency in his shot selection. I thought it would be a smoother transition than this as he's shooting piss poor .385% TS and gawd awful ORtg 82. I know I know, it's only early season but Ball is one player I am keeping my eyes on.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:22 pm

His shooting form probably has something to do with it. It's far from textbook, and he holds the ball fairly low. Through six games, he's tied for second (admittedly with five other players) in blocks against, so he's getting his shots swatted a fair bit so far. He's also facing grown men with more experience at the professional level, and more athletic competition across the board than in college. Consider that in the Summer League, he was struggling to take Kendall Marshall off the dribble. The points aren't going to come as easily for him, night in and night out.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:16 am

I think it's partly due to people playing harder against him because of who his father is and the hype he's getting. Also, at UCLA he was the best player so he could really control the ball and the game and pick his spots. He would pull up from 30 ft and swish like it was nothing but I don't think Luke would appreciate him pulling up from 25 ft out as opposed to running the system. He's also got all these mouths to feed now so his scoring really comes secondary and his scoring comes more from opportunistic plays than anything. Let's just say the Lakers aren't running lays to get him to score
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:31 am

is the play harder against him narrative sort of a cop out? beverley is on another planet defensively and that game ball blew up, phoenix was terrible on the picks.

there was a little hype with the wiz game but from the action i saw, he was just missing shots and the wiz stink on defense.

almost half of ball's shots are from 3pt land (making only 28%) and he barley goes to he ft line. odds against him to have a solid ts%
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:23 am

lonzo will be fine, right now people are just gunning for him and he is a rookie after all. most people seem to think he has the highest potential but said tatum was the most nba ready. seems to me most people are right. the hype around ball was too big too soon so suddenly people expect him to be lebron james. kid will be fine, let him adjust
Sauru

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:10 am

Someone hacked Sauru's account.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 am

Sounds like a jinx if ever I heard one.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 pm

thats the last time i leave the site up at work i tell you what
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Sauru wrote:i tell you what

Totally read that in Hank Hill's voice.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sauru wrote:i tell you what

Totally read that in Hank Hill's voice.

lol that was the intention. i am glad it came across that way
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 am

air gordon wrote:is the play harder against him narrative sort of a cop out? beverley is on another planet defensively and that game ball blew up, phoenix was terrible on the picks.

there was a little hype with the wiz game but from the action i saw, he was just missing shots and the wiz stink on defense.

almost half of ball's shots are from 3pt land (making only 28%) and he barley goes to he ft line. odds against him to have a solid ts%

I'm not buying the "they play harder against him" thing either. It's a combination of him just missing shots, settling for shots & the ankle which he said is still at 85% according to Stu & Bill. From the last game against Detroit it's also more evident he made much more of an effort to get in to the lane than take off the screen or pass out three's which should help. I'm not really concerned about his offense, it'll come. I do think the coaching staff should involve him in more slashing/cuts to the basket type plays. D-Lo & Ball would have been such an interesting back court. Wish they would have at least given us a taste of it and then made the trade come trade time in Feb.

That game against Detroit was something. The Pistons didn't shoot free-throws till like the fourth quarter! The starters came out with good energy, the reserves also played their usual good brand of basketball and Randle has really been bringing it since that game where he called himself out. I'm actually loving Don Julio again!! A bit odd he was pulled in the second or third and replaced by Bogut though. None the less, loving his effort.

Josh Hart has been quite a revelation too, dude just plays solid basketball. Correct plays on offense, takes what he's given and plays hard on defense. The Lakers draft department really do a solid job with these guys.

Ingram played fantastic too. Didn't force too much, was active on D and just played within the system/his role. 13 points, 5-6 rebounds a few assists and a steal should be realistic for the kid. Magic shouldn't have come out and said they expect 20 ppg from him.

That's one thing I can say about these Lakers...they at least try on defense. It's such a better brand of basketball than the previous couple of years. It's just better basketball in general to watch. That's all Laker fans should expect from these guys; effort on a consistent basis. Both on D & O but I believe if your D is there, the O (which is pretty much run, run, run) will happen by itself.

On a different topic: Wtf is up with these Nike jersey's? That canary yellow isn't Lakers Gold. The color just seems off to me. Also they wear their purple away jersey's somewhere end November for the first time. I wish Nike didn't fuck the whole system up. It was working just fine. Also get your colors down Nike. :? End jersey rant.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:35 am

I think the color has something to do with the material. Obviously it's a new material so it doesn't come out the same way. It's a lot thinner too, which might desaturate the gold color a bit

I do like it when BI doesn't force it too much and he's actually become pretty good with that mid range elbow jumper
I like the way Hart plays. Solid defense. Glad ennis didn't see the floor until garbage time. Pistons were definitely getting shafted on foul calls but it wouldn't have made a difference. I think bogut will be used for certain matchups and when Luke feels they need to get some stops
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:18 am

pistons came in hot, knocking off some very good teams. i would call that an impressive win

PF production in this game pretty damn good.

thoughts on Brook Lopez? should this guy be playing more?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:12 am

Honestly I've been a little unimpressed with Lopez. I was kinda expecting more from him. He's got some decent post moves but doesn't seem to want to be the kind of guy you throw the ball to to get you a bucket when you need it. Also he's been jacking up a lot of 3s and he's really not that great at them. It's about as frustrating as Josh Smith shooting 3s on those hawks teams.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:24 am

air gordon wrote:thoughts on Brook Lopez? should this guy be playing more?

His offense will come too I think. I agree with Q that he should get his big butt more in to the paint but with that line up he's basically their only shooter out there, which is an oddity. He does a good job of boxing out and when he's around the rim he does a decent job of contesting shots. He's just so slow...totally out of place with the run mentality. I can't say I'm let down per se...I wasn't really expecting much since I didn't know his game.
Jackal

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball