Chicago Bulls Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Chicago Bulls Thread

Postby air gordon on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:24 am

dunn's meal ticket is his defense. not sure what flynn could do on that side of the ball though

fair enough on kukoc. Markannen better best his 3pt and ft shooting numbers
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jeffx on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:04 am

Andrew wrote:Yeah, "Good job on not screwing up" isn't quite the same as a simple "Good job". :lol:

Looks like that Tweet was deleted.

Hey Andrew, y'all are starting to sound like Knick fans. I never thought Dolan's incompetence could be matched.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:12 am

air gordon wrote:dunn's meal ticket is his defense. not sure what flynn could do on that side of the ball though

fair enough on kukoc. Markannen better best his 3pt and ft shooting numbers

True, perhaps I'm not giving Dunn enough credit there. As always, if I set the bar low, there's more potential to be pleasantly surprised, so fingers crossed without actually bothering to cross my fingers, so to speak!

Jeffx wrote:
Andrew wrote:Yeah, "Good job on not screwing up" isn't quite the same as a simple "Good job". :lol:

Looks like that Tweet was deleted.

Hey Andrew, y'all are starting to sound like Knick fans. I never thought Dolan's incompetence could be matched.

It's coming up on being twenty years since the last title and there have been plenty of blunders in between, so the jaded lenses are definitely starting to form!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:28 am

you jinxed it. dunn was playing his best ball and ends up dislocating his finger.

3pt barrage yesterday
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Valor on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Jeffx wrote:Hey Andrew, y'all are starting to sound like Knick fans. I never thought Dolan's incompetence could be matched.

A little different from Dolan. In our case the owner simply doesn't give a shit as long as revenue keeps coming in (and there's no way Bulls fans would boycott the actual games, I mean, just look at the Bears attendance despite the ineptitude), which has led to GMs being too comfortable and having too much power whereas with the Knicks it's too much meddling from ownership...but yes, we are starting to sound like Knicks fans :(

Not only is D-Rose looking great so far with Cleveland, but also news that he did indeed made videos and efforts to recruit in the summer of 2010 contrary to popular belief (I'm starting to feel like Bulls management pushed out that sentiment to absolve blame). So once again, we know two things. #1 GarPax are full of shit #2 They are the reason why we were never able to get Rose any legit help in the Thibodeau era.

Now if Rose could finish the season healthy, we will know the Bulls training staff are as trash as we suspected too.

God dammit, such mixed feelings seeing Rose playing well and looking fantastic again. Happy for him and hate that he's doing it with a division rival.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Valor wrote:God dammit, such mixed feelings seeing Rose playing well and looking fantastic again. Happy for him and hate that he's doing it with a division rival.

Agreed.

On a brighter note, Markkanen poured in fifteen points in the fourth.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Chicago is a football town. Bears will always sell

Let's see what the attendance numbers are this year for the Bulls. You've got fans funding a sign against the management lol

Happy for Rose and so should you guys. I'm done with and over the drama. Hope he kicks ass except when he plays against the Bulls
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Andrew wrote:
Valor wrote:God dammit, such mixed feelings seeing Rose playing well and looking fantastic again. Happy for him and hate that he's doing it with a division rival.

Agreed.

On a brighter note, Markkanen poured in fifteen points in the fourth.

It was indeed impressive despite the lack of D played, he still had to hit the shots and he did.

air gordon wrote:Chicago is a football town. Bears will always sell

Let's see what the attendance numbers are this year for the Bulls. You've got fans funding a sign against the management lol

Happy for Rose and so should you guys. I'm done with and over the drama. Hope he kicks ass except when he plays against the Bulls

I think Chicago is just a sports town overall, the amount of enthusiasm for the Sox, Cubs, Blackhawks, Bulls and esp Bears are unreal despite the lack of success in recent years. (Cubs and Blackhawks aside, that is). It does go against them though like I said, bad owners w good fans are always a bad combination...wish we had passionate owners.

I'm very happy for Rose, hope he stays healthy and earns a contract fit for a former MVP in his prime again. Hate for him to be the first former MVP to not be in the HOF. Just hate how he's doing it with the Cavs....
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 am

yeah i agree chicago is a big sports town. north & south siders come together to root for the bears. maybe its because the bears have been around for such a long time and have a such a rich history. maybe since there are only 8 home games plays into it being such a big sell. for me living here most of my life, this city is partial to the bears.

one more time to dip in the that deadpool of the rose injury- both sides can be blamed. i don't enjoy defending management but a few things to keep in mind-

remember rose was medically cleared to play by the doctor who did his surgeries but it was Rose who was going by his own schedule. how about the reports of Rose just killing it during practices when he was medically cleared to play but was still sitting out when the bulls were in the playoffs (while nate robinson was throwing up in the garbage during timeouts and butler playing entire games).

or Rose blew out his knee on year 1 of the "new" max contract. the team was hamstrung in making a significant move while they waited for Rose to come back and when he came back he got hurt again and than again waited.

man, i'm glad its over. it was the right decision to let him go. last year i was somewhat bitter and happy that problem was someone else's to deal with. now i guess time heals and want him to stay healthy and kick ass.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:01 pm

air gordon wrote:yeah i agree chicago is a big sports town. north & south siders come together to root for the bears. maybe its because the bears have been around for such a long time and have a such a rich history. maybe since there are only 8 home games plays into it being such a big sell. for me living here most of my life, this city is partial to the bears.

one more time to dip in the that deadpool of the rose injury- both sides can be blamed. i don't enjoy defending management but a few things to keep in mind-

remember rose was medically cleared to play by the doctor who did his surgeries but it was Rose who was going by his own schedule. how about the reports of Rose just killing it during practices when he was medically cleared to play but was still sitting out when the bulls were in the playoffs (while nate robinson was throwing up in the garbage during timeouts and butler playing entire games).

or Rose blew out his knee on year 1 of the "new" max contract. the team was hamstrung in making a significant move while they waited for Rose to come back and when he came back he got hurt again and than again waited.

man, i'm glad its over. it was the right decision to let him go. last year i was somewhat bitter and happy that problem was someone else's to deal with. now i guess time heals and want him to stay healthy and kick ass.

I'm not sure how much we can trust them on the medically cleared thing, Deng was medically cleared to play before a second opinion found that he had a stress fracture (how do you clear that?), Bulls medical staff have been known to be a bit dodgy and you gotta remember that season (lockout year too), Rose had a lot of small nagging injuries that he kept fighting through before eventually tearing that ACL. I don't blame him for taking the cautious approach if he really was cleared legitimately.

Plus, the cleared thing was leaked to the media by (many are guessing) GarPax. Feels to me like they just want to shift blame away from themselves for failing to get him adequate help. So that whole "cleared to play but didn't" saga I place less than 20% blame on Rose. Did he say some dumb stuff about money and future? Yeah he probably did. Should he have tried to come back anyways if he didn't feel ready? I say no. It was classless on GarPax's part to leak that info out.

But yeah, hope he stays healthy and plays at that 2011 level again.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:27 am

Fair call on the Deng thing. Tbh i’m hazy on the details. also -the whole spinal tap/Deng thing was pretty scary

Was Rose being cleared a “leak”? define leak. the media was asking everyday during the "rose watch". IIRC the physician who performed the surgery had given a timeline for recovery and gave updates during Rose’s rehab. The information he provided was corroborated by several sports medicine people outside the organization.

I remember hearing the same thing over and over again- structurally he is healthy. Part of completing the rehab process is to go out there and play. Even with that information BOTH Thibs and management SUPPORTED Rose’s decision to have his own timeline throughout the entire saga.

Now there are some things management did foul up by allowing Rose to have his own training person “on staff” (Jen Swanson who did get hired for the team eventually but fired last year) or using the MLE on Hamilton (instead of crawford) and the botched draft picks.

The dumb stuff he said about money and sore knees was just silly. I think it just added to the frustration. What irked me was how untransparent he was with his timeline. He would say everything is going according to his plan when he was shooting an inordinate amount of 3’s (and missing a lot) and declaring himself out of games sometimes an hour before tip off. and he would only turn up his game versus elite pg’s and then go back to his 3pt shooting mode against other teams. Can you imagine how maddening it must be for the coach and rest of his teammates?? And this is all happening while Russell Westbrook, who came back from a similar injury, returned sooner and was lighting up the league.

Ugh. i could go on with with his agent, his brother, and more nonsense but its all water under the bridge.

this thing of Rose making a video 7 years ago to recruit the big fish is just really silly. why is this only now coming out? SMH. it does contradict Rose's comments 7 years ago of not being the type and not wanting to recruit other players and that he was team keith bogans. so he made a video? it is preposterous to think a video he made played a significant part of not landing LBJ, bosh, wade.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:48 am

Knowing what we do now about their discussions and Pat Riley's machinations, I honestly don't think LeBron, Wade, and Bosh were ever going to end up anywhere but Miami.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 am

Doubt a video would make an impact, being in the meeting personally has more impact than some heavily scripted video.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Valor on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:48 pm

air gordon wrote:Fair call on the Deng thing. Tbh i’m hazy on the details. also -the whole spinal tap/Deng thing was pretty scary

Yep, Deng almost died cause they botched the spinal tap, a procedure that wasn't even needed because he had a flu, not meningitis.

air gordon wrote:Was Rose being cleared a “leak”? define leak. the media was asking everyday during the "rose watch". IIRC the physician who performed the surgery had given a timeline for recovery and gave updates during Rose’s rehab. The information he provided was corroborated by several sports medicine people outside the organization.

I remember hearing the same thing over and over again- structurally he is healthy. Part of completing the rehab process is to go out there and play. Even with that information BOTH Thibs and management SUPPORTED Rose’s decision to have his own timeline throughout the entire saga.

It was a leak (I define it as information being sent out via non-official channels to the media to report), and many reports have confirmed that it was a leak.

ESPN Report back then...
Derrick Rose's doctor has cleared the Chicago Bulls' star to play, a team source said

Team source, not official press release.
Chicago Tribune article clearly stating that it was leaked
The anti-Derrick Rose sentiment in Chicago started when someone inside the Bulls organization leaked that he had been medically cleared to play less than a year after his ACL injury. Rose’s decision not to take the court created a backlash the former MVP has never been able to overcome, even in his own hometown.

...and an article by SB Nation on the history of the Bulls dodgy doctor who constantly cleared Rose and Deng and others even though they were actually still hurt
Rose played through a plethora of maladies. Every time, the team doctors cleared him to play. Every time, he got re-injured, or discomfort with one body part resulted in an injury to another body part. He was never comfortable in 2011-12, but he played, because the Bulls told him he could play...Back in 2009 the Bulls declared in February that one of Deng's injuries was shrug-worthy enough that the forward should "challenge himself physically" in treatment so he could get back on the court...Deng didn't feel comfortable, so his agent arranged for an outside opinion. And suddenly that day-to-day injury the Bulls couldn't believe would keep Deng out of action turned into a stress fracture serious enough to require months of rest to heal...The Bulls said Deng wasn't really injured, and told him to play. A different doctor -- the correct doctor, in this case -- told Deng he was really injured, and that he shouldn't run, jump or cut on his leg for four months.

Bulls have a history of doing this, whether it's the doctor being purely incompetent or management pushing their agenda I don't know, but they constantly clear players to play while they're hurt, and publically pressure them by leaking that "cleared status" or publically come out and be passive-aggressive on the matter to gain public support from the fans to pressure the player.

air gordon wrote:Now there are some things management did foul up by allowing Rose to have his own training person “on staff” (Jen Swanson who did get hired for the team eventually but fired last year) or using the MLE on Hamilton (instead of crawford) and the botched draft picks.

They also fired Ron Adams (Thibs' lead assistant) out of spite, who has now gone to Golden State and won two titles with Steve Kerr and obviously knows his shit, before ultimately firing Thibs similarly out of spite and proceeded to push their narrative of how Thibs screwed up the offense blah blah blah. Turns out their replacement puppet is the actual one who screws up the offense, cause we went from top 10 under Thibs to bottom of the pile with Hoiball.

Again, I agree that Rose was absolutely stupid with a lot of his comments and statements, and it was frustrating to see him shootaround and not play, great point about his brother, certainly didn't help.

Re the video thing, I just raised it cause it was just revealed, obviously whatever Lebron decided to do was what everyone else was going to do, but there's been this narrative that Rose didn't do anything to help recruiting and that's just not the case. He obviously did come out and say he doesn't recruit and he's sticking with his guys, that's just him being a good teammate I reckon....no other reason why anybody would come out and say that they're happy to roll with Keith Bogans as their backcourt partner.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Great points and article dropping. Thanks for refreshing the “dodgy” medical team narrative.

As one of or more of the articles mentioned- the bulls didn’t want another Jordan situation. And Paxson choked Del Negro because he was playing Noah, who was returning from injury, too many minutes .

In all honestly in landing Rose they really saved the organization. It was a nice rebuild Pax put together after the mess Krause built. They were a middling organization but lucking into the 1st pick put the franchise in relevant/contention mode. I understand your points of your previous post but I don’t see why management would want to their put unicorn (again- newly signed on a max contract) at risk and go through another PR nightmare by leaking the information.

a team source can be anybody within the organization- from the towel boy to the players. But hey i get it, Gar indeed is a snake and doesn’t do any favors for himself.

Were any of Rose’s injuries “major” before he blew out his knee? IIRC there were ankle sprains, wrist, and shoulder pain.

I won’t list all of the gaffes by Garpax. i'm sure there are plenty to refer to ;)

This whole video thing- i don’t know the details of how it came up- was he asked about the situation? 7 years ago Rose was pretty clear and had publicly stated several times he does not want to recruit. “It’s not my job. If they want to come they can come”. I didn’t hold this against him then and won’t now. Just throw it to the pile of Rose-isms.

If he was just being a good teammate as you reckon, he wouldn’t have the need to defend those comments.

shadowgrin wrote:Doubt a video would make an impact, being in the meeting personally has more impact than some heavily scripted video.

hmm i don't know. maybe Derrick filmed his 'belt" in action and LBJ & Co. were just not into that sort of thing
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 am

air gordon wrote:Paxson choked Del Negro because he was playing Noah, who was returning from injury, too many minutes .

Should've been fired already for this, but I guess it landed us Thibs for five years so I'll let that one go....

air gordon wrote:In all honestly in landing Rose they really saved the organization. It was a nice rebuild Pax put together after the mess Krause built. They were a middling organization but lucking into the 1st pick put the franchise in relevant/contention mode.

Yep, I'll give him credit for that. Rose pick was pure luck (1.7%) but the previous few seasons when we had small runs to playoffs under Scott Skiles with the core of Hinrich, Gordon, and Deng was a decent job. (Again, Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas and signing Ben fucking Wallace remains as massive stains)

air gordon wrote:I understand your points of your previous post but I don’t see why management would want to their put unicorn (again- newly signed on a max contract) at risk and go through another PR nightmare by leaking the information.

a team source can be anybody within the organization- from the towel boy to the players. But hey i get it, Gar indeed is a snake and doesn’t do any favors for himself.

Without knowing details it's definitely just speculation, but it was a pretty ridiculous situation. Only explanation i can think of is that GarPax were shifting blame away from their inability to get any help for Rose. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but neither did firing Thibs so....

air gordon wrote:Were any of Rose’s injuries “major” before he blew out his knee? IIRC there were ankle sprains, wrist, and shoulder pain.

Nothing major, cause of ACL injuries have always been a mystery, but there's theories that the nagging small injuries may have contributed to other parts of the body taking on a higher stress load which ultimately screwed his ACL up. I reckon the meniscus issues in subsequent seasons was Rose himself overcompensating and fearful of using the ACL knee which led to the other knee getting busted.

Like I said I'm not sure about the video situation, but I think he was just asked a question after shootaround recently and he answered it. If I remember correctly he only said he is Team Bogans :roll: after being asked about it too.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:47 am

Yep there are videos suggesting the way Rose lands is the cause for his knee injuries

So much for Denzel being able to give backup minutes at PG. Smh Archie announced grants backup
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 am

air gordon wrote:So much for Denzel being able to give backup minutes at PG. Smh Archie announced grants backup

Denzel is rubbish and a big bust imo. I don't see him ever becoming anymore than a rotation guy of 8-15 mpg.

More BS went on in the organisation, as Mirotic got sent to the hospital after having a fight with Portis. According to another article by SB Nation it was a "cheap shot" thrown by Portis.

Never liked Portis due to the anti-Bulls tweets saying fuck Rose etc, now I just want this fucker gone.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:03 am

Competition for that starting spot is clearly heating up.

And so, the dysfunction continues...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 am

Andrew wrote:Competition for that starting spot is clearly heating up.

And so, the dysfunction continues...

Why are they fighting over a spot that'll eventually go to Markkanen anyways?

What was the quote they gave for firing Thibs again? Ah, that's right...
“When everyone is on the same page, trust develops and teams can grow and succeed together,” Reinsdorf said. "Unfortunately, there has been a departure from this culture.”

Great to see Hoiberg having control of the locker room as opposed to Thibs....oh wait :roll:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 am

GarPax's idea of dysfunction is anyone who doesn't act like their lapdog. Actual instances of dysfunction and unprofessional behaviour are inconsequential.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 pm

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 am

what a bizarre situation. is this an unprecedented occurrence? Ports may return from suspension before Niko comes back thus taking his spot in the rotation. this could be very weird if both remain on the team

and wouldn't having BELL on the roster be useful now?? :lol:
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 am

Yeah, Bell would've been a fine addition. If only they'd had a chance to draft him... :crazy:

Frankly, Portis' eight game suspension is disgracefully short. Look, there are going to be harsh words and sometimes maybe even scuffles between teammates when things get heated. In the best case scenario, no one is seriously hurt, hands are shaken, everything's patched up, and everyone moves on. A sucker punch that seriously injures someone and puts them out for an extended period of time, though...well, eight games just doesn't seem enough. I guess it's a by-product of their lack of depth, but still. If you did that to an opponent, the league would likely suspend you for about 20 games or more. Pretty hard to cheer for Portis right about now; truth to be told, I don't really want him on the Bulls anymore.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:21 pm

air gordon wrote:what a bizarre situation. is this an unprecedented occurrence? Ports may return from suspension before Niko comes back thus taking his spot in the rotation. this could be very weird if both remain on the team

and wouldn't having BELL on the roster be useful now?? :lol:

Well, they sold Jordan Bell's draft rights (or rather, the right to pick him) to the Warriors cause they "liked their forwards" according to Silvy of the Waddle & Silvy show. A laughable statement at the time, it's even more laughable right now.

Portis is definitely coming back before Mirotic, who is going to be out at least 4-6 weeks and will still have to be cleared by the concussion protocol. Could've easily died from such a (sucker) punch, as seen in a case in Vegas, and also in Melbourne and Sydney respectively in recent times.

As Andrew said, 8 games is pathetic. If I was in charge I would've cut the guy and provided all relevant details to the authorities so they can press charges and lock him in jail to rot, or at the very least, suspend him for double the amount of time that Mirotic sits out. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from Portis and perhaps even more disgusting decision making on the part of management to practically give him a 2 week vacation for that act.
Valor
Fire GarPax

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball