Rick Pitino 1997 Full Court Press - Vs Bulls

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Rick Pitino 1997 Full Court Press - Vs Bulls

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 am

Murat wrote:legend shadowgrin is back

Wow... doesn't take much does it?

For the others looking at this thread, here's another example of Celtics press defense (more recent), but less aggressive. They are playing up slightly over half court, and it is a big part of this 16-1 run.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Anybody else want to watch the whole video, and make a comment?

Hoping someone else comes onto this thread.

No threes.

The Bulls attempted six in the entire game, three by Jordan. And they always, always break the press in the video by trying to get to the basket on an outlet.

The Celtics almost jack more threes in that video than the Bulls attempted in the entire game. (Walker only one, and it's wide open in the corner, that's a Spurs approved three point attempt Employee #8!)

All those one third of the court passes the Bulls successfully pull off, but then require more passes or dribbles, wouldn't happen, because they'd be within screen/cuts for three point range and that means a shot now days. Especially a team like the Warriors or Rockets or hell, anyone good.

And there's too many bigs who could blitz the middle during the trap, the Bulls never have that player on the court, it's Rodman/Longley/Caffey.

In fact, if you notice, the Bulls have their best success against the trap when they're playing Rodman at center temporarily, even though the Bulls blow every shot or layup that's not Jordan they get them because Rodman can handle and pass. With Kukoc/Jordan/Harper/Rodman they're almost playing a modern multi-position lineup, and it breaks the trap, but the Bulls never want to take a three. Especially since it's the first year back at the longer range and they only have a couple guys with that range in Kerr and Buechler. (Kukoc was still developing it, having played entirely with the shorter line, and erratic.)

It's arguably more of a trap than a real full court press too. Pitino's press at Kentucky and Louisville was usually tight and man-to-man. He couldn't figure out how to do it in the NBA because even in practice the Celtics were breaking it.

The Celtics/Nets video is a back court trap too. The second guy often isn't guarding anyone.

Also a big part of that 16-1 run was Brook Lopez running a play that is best described as "dribble into the defense and immediately pick up your dribble as you let yourself get swarmed then whine for a call."
benji

Postby NovU on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:09 am

It'd be entertaining to see something different like this fullcourt pressure D more regularly. But I am not sure it'd be that effective in today's basketball.

No handchecking, small ball with 4-5 that can shoot 3s, many point-forward players, spacing oriented offense. Perhaps all these things make it easier to counter Fullcourt D especially when prepared.

Besides, players could spend less energy with zone defense by staying put at right places. Why run back and forth fullcourt. Players would hate it imho.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 am

NovU wrote:It'd be entertaining to see something different like this fullcourt pressure D more regularly. But I am not sure it'd be that effective in today's basketball.

No handchecking, small ball with 4-5 that can shoot 3s, many point-forward players, spacing oriented offense. Perhaps all these things make it easier to counter Fullcourt D especially when prepared.

Besides, players could spend less energy with zone defense by staying put at right places. Why run back and forth fullcourt. Players would hate it imho.

Agreed that a lot of players would hate it, and agreed that it's an unknown on how well it work. Also, would certainly be entertaining to see it more.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball