Melo to OKC

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Melo to OKC

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 am

For kanter and mcdermott. Wow.

I bet you bulls fans are glad your pick has served a good purpose
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: Melo to OKC

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 am

To recap: GarPax turned Taj Gibson and Doug McDermott (along with a second round pick) into Cameron Payne. Sam Presti turned Enes Kanter and Doug McDermott (along with a pick) into Carmelo Anthony. And you've got Scottie Pippen and Brian Windworst telling Bulls fans to give GarPax a chance.

I guess I am glad he didn't go to the Cavs. Could be some epic clashes in the Western Conference this season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:20 am

I don't see this working out for OKC unless these cats share the ball, something Carmelo's not known for. Plus, who's going to defend?

I'm not mad about the trade. With or without Carmelo, Knicks still suck. We're in full rebuilding mode. Wonder if Beasley thinks this squad will make the playoffs now?

To me, the Carmelo Anthony era was a bust. One series win doesn't cut it for me. He fooled young, clueless millenial Knicks fans into thinking he'd be a leader like LeBron.
Jeffx

Postby Phil89 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:05 pm

What a difference a year makes. After Durant left everybody assumed that Westbrook was going to be traded and OKC were set for a long rebuild.

Then Presti basically turned Enes Kanter, Victor Oladipo, Cameron Payne and Domantas Sabonis into PG and Melo.

Who knows how well it will work out, but I'm excited to see it.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 pm

The experiment will be far more interesting to watch - and is more cause for optimism - than anything efforts the Bulls and Knicks will muster this season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Jeffx wrote:To me, the Carmelo Anthony era was a bust. One series win doesn't cut it for me. He fooled young, clueless millenial Knicks fans into thinking he'd be a leader like LeBron.

This is the biggest reason why I don't like him. A false sense of entitlement. He thinks he's better than he actually is. He fooled Denver fans for all those years, teasing them with plenty of first and second round failures
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Would you say the same of Tracy McGrady, who just went into the Hall of Fame?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Iam only greatfull that this mess won't drag into camp, we can finally move forward.

Sure we could of gotten more Melo but we would of had to take on bad contracts to do so, you can say Kanters contract is bad but it's about 15 less than melo and hes off the books in 2 year.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Murat on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Three ball lovers in one team.

At least one of them has to convert his game to something else.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jackal on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Andrew wrote:Would you say the same of Tracy McGrady, who just went into the Hall of Fame?

Tracy was a bad man though. That guy literally carried those Orlando teams. When you're hoping Pat Garritty will step up in big games, you're gonna have a bad time.

I genuininely thought he'd land up in Houston for Ariza/Anderson or Gordon/Anderson, I had already made that trade in MyLeague. Apparently the Knicks wanted Gordon & Ariza to which Morey probably said yeah right. I feel the Houston fit would've been better. Melo needs the ball a lot and Paul/Harden would've been all right passing some to him.

I do think we can all agree this has been one of the most WTF off-seasons in a while.

No way they can all stay on that team beyond this season, right? Isn't Westbrook going to get paid a big ass contract if he signs the extension? I doubt OKC pays 100+ million in taxes to keep these three together.

Paul George...

Jackal

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 am

Jackal wrote:No way they can all stay on that team beyond this season, right? Isn't Westbrook going to get paid a big ass contract if he signs the extension? I doubt OKC pays 100+ million in taxes to keep these three together.

After what happened with Harden back in 2012, it'll be interesting to see what the Thunder do, especially if they do end up having a respectable measure of success this season. If they make the Western Conference Finals, for example, I could see them biting the bullet and paying to keep the team together, especially with the cap being much bigger than it was five years ago.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am

It cost so little to land Carmelo, props. Definitely a worthwhile risk for the Thunder.

The Thunder won 47 games last season. How many wins do you think are added with these offseason moves? I am thinking 4 to 6 wins.

Knicks get Kanter, McDermott, and a second round pick? Seems too little considering Melo's name value. Couldn't the Rockets or Cavs offer something better?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:08 pm

With Melo's no-trade clause, and the fact they'd already made it known that they'd trade him if the opportunity presented itself and he agreed to it, the Knicks had no leverage. As for the Thunder, edging over the 50 win mark at least seems very feasible.

Backing up a bit to the Melo/T-Mac conversation...

Jackal wrote:Tracy was a bad man though. That guy literally carried those Orlando teams. When you're hoping Pat Garritty will step up in big games, you're gonna have a bad time.

That's true, but I think Melo carried some mediocre Nuggets teams as well, and enjoyed a couple of respectable Playoff runs when he did have some more help. T-Mac's Rockets also came up short despite having a decent amount of talent. Injuries admittedly were an issue, but the Rockets still did have their opportunities.

I guess my point is that in terms of establishing oneself as a franchise player, a player that a team can build around and win, Melo really isn't any worse than T-Mac, who just got the Hall of Fame nod.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 pm

the best possible thing ever would be if wade joins them and beats the warriors. yeah its not gonna happen but my god it would be amazing if it did
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Andrew wrote:Would you say the same of Tracy McGrady, who just went into the Hall of Fame?

I wouldn't say so. To me, he seemed like a willing passer/team player than melo. For him it always seemed like he just barely wasn't enough to carry a team or just a bit of bad luck.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:47 pm

But was he any more of a franchise player, in the grand scheme of things?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 am

NovU wrote:Knicks get Kanter, McDermott, and a second round pick? Seems too little considering Melo's name value. Couldn't the Rockets or Cavs offer something better?

Houston will only give up Ryan Anderson and probably picks, Knicks wanted Ariza and Gordon.

Not sure about the Cavs, maybe they need to give up Thompson and probably Shumpert.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Axel The Great on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:38 am

It'll be interesting to watch how this experiment plays out. I think the fact they got to keep Steven Adams after all of this is a huge plus for them. Any chance Westbrook, PG, and Melo average 20-25 ppg each this season?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby air gordon on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 am

Phil89 wrote:What a difference a year makes. After Durant left everybody assumed that Westbrook was going to be traded and OKC were set for a long rebuild.

Then Presti basically turned Enes Kanter, Victor Oladipo, Cameron Payne and Domantas Sabonis into PG and Melo.

Who knows how well it will work out, but I'm excited to see it.

Props to Presti. turned chicken shit into chicken salad. twice. shout out to GarPax for helping out

mp3 wrote:Iam only greatfull that this mess won't drag into camp, we can finally move forward.

Sure we could of gotten more Melo but we would of had to take on bad contracts to do so, you can say Kanters contract is bad but it's about 15 less than melo and hes off the books in 2 year.

sucks for nyk fans but have to agree. gotta to be happy this drama is done.

Andrew wrote:As for the Thunder, edging over the 50 win mark at least seems very feasible.

i say they top 50 wins and a #3 seed in the West but due to the Spurs being an awesome regular season team, #4. a possible GSW-OKC 2nd round matchup sounds just great
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 am

NovU wrote:
Knicks get Kanter, McDermott, and a second round pick? Seems too little considering Melo's name value. Couldn't the Rockets or Cavs offer something better?

the no trade clause is huge here. he would reject any team that over paid for him. essentially he guaranteed that no one of any real value would be lost in a trade he was involved him so the team he was going to would not be weakened in any way.
Sauru

Postby Phil89 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:07 pm

My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Interesting that Melo didn't end up taking #15 back from Kyle Singler.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:28 am

air gordon wrote:sucks for nyk fans but have to agree. gotta to be happy this drama is done.

Not really.....Knicks weren't going anywhere with him, and it's time to do a real rebuild.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Yeah Melo is a very good player but it was time for a full rebuild over two years ago.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:47 pm

I suppose he was too good for the Knicks to just let him walk via free agency, but that no trade clause really set them back.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball