Wade joins LeBron in Cleveland

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Wade joins LeBron in Cleveland

Postby Jackal on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:14 am

Dwyane Wade has agreed to a one-year, $2.3 million deal to join the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources told The Vertical.

Wade reached a contract buyout with the Chicago Bulls on Sunday and had interest from Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Miami. He is expected to sign the deal this week after clearing waivers on Wednesday.

Wade, 35, will reunite with LeBron James, with whom he played four seasons in Miami, winning two NBA championships together.

Source

Expected. Would've been nice if he went to OKC to rival the Warriors, but I get it given his history with Lebron. Some of these lineups wouldn't have been imaginable a few years ago.

Did the strike of a few years ago actually work? These dudes are all teaming up..but it is in smaller market teams as opposed to NY, LA or Chicago.
Jackal

Re: Wade joins LeBron in Cleveland

Postby Sauru on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:28 am

no surprise here. he might have had a chance to win it all with OKC but a guaranteed second place finish while playing with your buddy who kind of screwed you over in miami is also appealing
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:24 am

As you guys said, no surprise here, but I too would've liked to have seen him go to OKC, or perhaps back to Miami.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:32 am

So novU is a cavs fan now? Haha

Sadly this is a cockblock move to Rose.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:27 am

Was hoping for him to go west but solid decision. Once again, my expectation is stupidly high and hoping to see him having one last great year. But perhaps at age of 36 I am asking too much.

Yeah, I am a Cavs fan by nature now. Isaiah, Dwyane, and Rose? 3 good reasons to root for the Cavs though LBJ, JR, and Thompson are not really my favorites. Anyways, this really deepens the Cavs and should solidify their #1 status in East even with possibly couple stars missing good chunk of season.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:07 am

What should be their closing lineup while IT is on the mend?

Wade or Rose???
Smith
Crowder
LBJ
Love/tt
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:00 am

Probably Wade, Smith, LeBron, Love, and Thompson. That's a pretty good balance of playmaking, shot creating, outside shooting, rebounding, defense, and inside scoring.

More cynically, Rose could quite easily end up joining Thomas on the injured list sooner rather than later.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 am

i think crowder should be in there. TT or Love @C. depending who the opposing big man is.

Wade guarding PGs would be an adventure

all in for Rose baby!
Jump.
air gordon

Postby benji on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Wade in OKC would have been a potential Nets like spacing, turn taking, nightmare. And that team would have had to spend all year figuring out how to keep the ball moving since none of those guys have ever played that way. LeBron and Bosh worked in Miami because LeBron loves to pass and Bosh willingly drifted outside.

OKC and Wade are better off without each other. Wade is likely way more willing to become the sixth man scorer Dion Waiters was supposed to be for the Cavs than any other team.

Him and Rose playing with Love while LeBron sits some might actually liven up all three. Even a gimpy Rose and Wade are still way more eager to drive and let Love drift, Irving was just as apt to pull up rather than drive. Considering how well that worked for Love using Rubio who was even less of a threat from anywhere.

I really like the Cavs seemingly accidentally backing into depth. And doing it at the start of the season, not near the end of the year like years prior when they added Smith/Mozgov, Frye, Williamses/"Bogut", etc. down the stretch runs. Because they'll be able to do that too again.
Jackal wrote:Did the strike of a few years ago actually work? These dudes are all teaming up..but it is in smaller market teams as opposed to NY, LA or Chicago.

Well, those teams haven't exactly been run competently or been in a position to bring in the assets. The Knicks did assemble Melo/DPOY Chandler/$100M man Amare together and win 50 games only to wind up with Phil turning half the roster into the 2011 Bulls but five years later and trying to force the triangle on it. Chicago's never really been a FA destination. Ever. Just a team others use for leverage.

The Clippers did it but had to draft two of their three. (Something the Cavs arguably also did.)

Brooklyn fucked their own franchise up and promoted Boston (and Philly) in the process.

Houston's a huge and growing market. So is the Bay Area. Toronto has done much better at keeping their players.
benji

Postby mp3 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:39 pm

I think even Stevie Wonder could see Wade teaming up with LeBron in Cleveland, tho I did like Wades comments after joining the Cavs about retiring in a Heat uniform which I think he will but not before following LeBron to LA or somewhere else first.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:08 am

About retiring, he can always pull off Paul Pierce in that regard.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:42 am

Speaking of Pierce, I always thought he'd return for a retirement tour season with the Celtics. I could see Wade doing that, if the opportunity arises. Otherwise, the one day return to retire ceremonially retire for the team seems feasible.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:29 am

I think Pierce saw Kobe's retirement tour season and thought "maybe let's not do that".

Celtics have much better roster than 2015-16 Lakers, which probably also led Pierce to not pursue farewell season - he'd not be the focal point of the team.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 am

He did announce that last year would be his final season though, and accepted a smaller role with the Clippers. I thought he might do that with the Celtics before he called it a day.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Totally forgot he announced early, only remembered him saying he wants to retire as a Celtic.
To be fair in his last season he played under Doc Rivers, while in Boston... Ray Allen gone. KG gone. Perkins in New Orleans. Tony Allen in Grizzlies. Rondo in Chicago. Big Baby gone.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:31 pm

That's true. Well, he'll have the ceremonial signing and retirement, and I think that's fine. I know some people think it's silly, but I like the gesture.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball