Kevin Durant is softer than a cupcake.

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Kevin Durant is softer than a cupcake.

Postby air gordon on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:07 am

Axel. wrote:Yeah, KD had every right to make the decision he made, but he should've understood that there would be criticism involved and learned to live with that. Instead, he's out here desperately (fake social media accounts, really?) trying to justify his decision, when he should just shut the fuck up and keep doing what he came over to GS to do.

It is amusing indeed. I will say it's a bit amusing as well for us fans to be saying players should act as we say. And if they don't we can and will rail on them

And that goes for me as well as I've been a big critic of how LBJ handled the decisIon

Media and fans are fickle. This will pass once there is something else to talk about
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:47 am

It'll pass, but KD will forever be known as a coward to some, myself included.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 am

It's funny, it's hard to shake that reputation for a lot of people including Blake Griffin and Dwight Coward although no one ever seems to defend those guys lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:49 am

Axel. wrote:Yeah, KD had every right to make the decision he made, but he should've understood that there would be criticism involved and learned to live with that. Instead, he's out here desperately (fake social media accounts, really?) trying to justify his decision, when he should just shut the fuck up and keep doing what he came over to GS to do.

It's been interesting to see LeBron and more recently Durant try to play the villain and shake off the criticism with attempts at badass aloofness. The problem is, they're two guys who are (or were) clearly used to being widely adored and praised, so as much as they tried, it's obvious that they're not comfortable being the bad guys. After all the adulation, any kind of criticism - even when it's understandable or justified - is definitely going to sting, but they've lashed out in silly and childish ways while trying to embrace an image that they don't really want. It's understandable to some extent, of course. I would suggest that most people do indeed prefer to be liked and complimented, rather than hated, criticised, and villified.

Of course, you can also contrast their approach with the general attitude of a team like the Bad Boy Pistons back in the day. Those Pistons were pricks, thugs, and definite sporting villains to fans of every other team, but that's who they were and they didn't care. As much as I dislike them, they were at least open and genuine about who they were, and embraced an image that suited them just fine. That's not necessarily admirable in and of itself, but they were comfortable with their reputation because it was a reputation that they'd gladly earned, because that's who they were. The image suited them just fine. LeBron and Durant clearly have been bothered by the change in public perception - again, understandably so - but attempts to lean into it and play the bad guy have been ineffective because if you're going to do that, that's who you truly need to be. You actually do need to not care, and they clearly do, because not caring is easier said than done.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 pm

whats funny to me is he said he cant win with that team when he had a 3-1 lead and should have won. if KD goes anywhere besides golden state or cleveland and people would be fine with it but by picking the warriors he proved he was soft as shit. the man cannot handle pressure. its a much easier game when there is no pressure on you so he went were a win was 100% guaranteed. this is the shaq/barkley effect. people are so scared to be in a spot like charles is.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:06 pm

He kind of disappeared down the stretch in that series, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Bleacher Report has a good take and summary of the situation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:22 am

Sauru wrote:whats funny to me is he said he cant win with that team when he had a 3-1 lead and should have won. if KD goes anywhere besides golden state or cleveland and people would be fine with it but by picking the warriors he proved he was soft as shit. the man cannot handle pressure. its a much easier game when there is no pressure on you so he went were a win was 100% guaranteed. this is the shaq/barkley effect. people are so scared to be in a spot like charles is.

Totally this. If he would've joined like the Wizards or something everyone would've loved the dude. He choked the 3-1 away and then joined them. That's one of the most bitch moves ever. Then you pretend it was a difficult choice for you? Fuck outta here.

To the Axel that quoted me saying Durant being second best is debatable..I agree, that's why I said perhaps. Everyone has their opinions, some guys would put another player at 2 etc.

Now I'm seeing posts about Durant not eating/sleeping since the Twitter thing happened. Man, fuck off. You get no sympathy for me. Is this dude for real??
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:26 am

Interesting points, Andrew. It should be pointed out the NBA was advocating the bad boy style at the time. even selling tshirts. Once the league started cracking down on that type of play it was adios. Btw was dumars considered a bad boy? IIRC he was one of the Detroit players to shake hands with the Bulls in the 1990 playoffs

Perhaps one megastar who embraced the bad guy role but had still good PR was Kobe Bryant.

Considering players are now creating their own "brand", its very understandable for them not want to be that bad guy. Now their reactions to social media that's just another thing
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:30 am

Oh for sure. While he was certainly an integral part of the Bad Boys' success, in terms of how he carried himself, Dumars was always a class act. With Rodman's tenure with the Bulls, I also tend to overlook his affiliation as well. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:44 am

Sauru wrote:whats funny to me is he said he cant win with that team when he had a 3-1 lead and should have won. if KD goes anywhere besides golden state or cleveland and people would be fine with it but by picking the warriors he proved he was soft as shit. the man cannot handle pressure. its a much easier game when there is no pressure on you so he went were a win was 100% guaranteed. this is the shaq/barkley effect. people are so scared to be in a spot like charles is.

Exactly.....I was so disappointed when Durant went to GS. It completely threw the balance of power in the west out of whack. I really wanted to see his OKC team challenge the Warriors last season. They were a legit threat.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.....weak.
Jeffx

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:50 pm

His "it's just a joke bro" excuse while owning up to what he said is similarly pathetic.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Jackal on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:27 pm

air gordon wrote:Perhaps one megastar who embraced the bad guy role but had still good PR was Kobe Bryant.

There was an article I read in the last few days, which I can't seem to find, that addressed this. Lebron & Durant tried to be the villain but just couldn't because that's not who they are.

Kobe? He loved it. I think he's gone as far as saying "I love it when a city boos me". Dude got booed in Philly when he was from there. The shitstorm he went through when the rape allegations came out...the fiasco with Jackson/O'Neal, him cutting off his parents for selling his memorabilia, the almost divorce and then the shit he got for the press conference/buying his forgiveness with that ring...Kobe was legit fine being seen as the bad guy as long as he was okay with whatever he was doing and used all of that as a "wait, I'll show you" kind of thing.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 am

LoL, KD. His feelings were hurt. Good stuff.

But seems to me this non news is overblown. Perhaps offseason boredom continues... Fantasy league thread soon perhaps?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Sauru on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 pm

i would not call this a non story. if i was paying someone millions of dollars and found out that they were, as a grown man, fighting with 14 year old kids on the internet while using a fake name i would be concerned
Sauru

Postby NovU on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm

He could be doing much worse stuff, dopes, raping, shooting, teammates issues, etc. But this incident shows that he actually cares about his rep and career. He's a same focused superstar guy next season that gets you wins, no worries there and worth every pennies paid.

Not every grown man needs to be KG or Pierce. This world would be a hell, literally.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Sauru on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm

NovU wrote:He could be doing much worse stuff, dopes, raping, shooting, teammates issues, etc. But this incident shows that he actually cares about his rep and career. He's a same focused superstar guy next season that gets you wins, no worries there and worth every pennies paid.

so in your opinion as long as you dont rape or shoot people you are mentally stable?

also what does pierce or garnett have to do with this? did someone mention them earlier in the post and i missed it?
Sauru

Postby NovU on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:12 pm

In my opinion this is non news in basketball terms which you cant seem to agree on. Personality flaws are fun for gossip purpose, can we leave it at that.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackal on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm

If it's non news to you, don't bother posting about it and move on instead of talking about rape and murder and Pierce and Garnett. How simple would that have been?
Jackal

Postby Axel The Great on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:35 am

NovU wrote:But this incident shows that he actually cares about his rep and career. He's a same focused superstar guy next season that gets you wins, no worries there and worth every pennies paid.

There are other, more graceful ways of defending and showing that you care about your reputation.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby air gordon on Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:10 am

ha i actually agree to a degree with NovU... along the lines of it it not being a "big deal". in a lull news wise before training camp starts. those i must say- this is the most eventful nba offseason i can remember.
Jump.
air gordon

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball