Official NBA Live 18 Impressions Topic

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Official NBA Live 18 Impressions Topic

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:27 am

As always, we've got a whole section to discuss the game, so you don't need to keep all the conversation here. However, a central topic for quick impressions and discussion never seems to go astray, so...here it is!

I ended up staying up quite late to play the game and get some initial impressions, and I need to turn in and get a few hours sleep. For now, though, I've posted some quick initial impressions over on my Twitter. I'll expand on them after some kip.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Official NBA Live 18 Impressions Topic

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 am

How did you get to the bulls? I got drafted by Dallas, but I wouldn't mind staying there, especially with LA taking Ball
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Izzy Snow on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:39 am

[Q] wrote:How did you get to the bulls? I got drafted by Dallas, but I wouldn't mind staying there, especially with LA taking Ball

Not sure exactly how to do it but you can basically request to get traded and all you do is pick your team destination and the cpu will manage who they will trade for your rights.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 pm

One of the first messages you get when you begin The League part of The One is your agent saying he's got a potential trade lined up, which allows you to choose to go to another team. Unlike previous games, you can choose any team, not just your designated favourite/preferred team.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 am

This game looks awesome. May have to shell out the dough and get it. Wasn't intending on getting a basketball game this year, but at the price point I may go ahead.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm working on unlocking a trait that requires a certain rating for shooting off the dribble and mid range shooting but I don't see a way to raise it yourself. Does it just go up over time or what?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby jay-r on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:44 pm

I own both nba live 18 and nba 2k18 on ps4, but currently I've spent 5x more time on nba live 18 than on nba 2k..I really hope that live will improve even further gameplay wise, because graphic/presentation wise I love it a lot (Y) . Not to point exact areas, but overall for me its seems more eye candy than 2k18.
Its so cool that not only nba live is back, but its back with such decent effort. Job well done already! (Y)
jay-r

Postby mp3 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 pm

I also think the crowd atmosphere is amazing this year too, the arena looks alive and in tune with what's happening at that point in the game.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby StyxTx on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:01 am

jay-r wrote:I own both nba live 18 and nba 2k18 on ps4, but currently I've spent 5x more time on nba live 18 than on nba 2k..I really hope that live will improve even further gameplay wise, because graphic/presentation wise I love it a lot (Y) . Not to point exact areas, but overall for me its seems more eye candy than 2k18.
Its so cool that not only nba live is back, but its back with such decent effort. Job well done already! (Y)

If you don't mind me asking, how did you spend more on Live than 2k?
StyxTx

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:48 am

StyxTx wrote:
jay-r wrote:I own both nba live 18 and nba 2k18 on ps4, but currently I've spent 5x more time on nba live 18 than on nba 2k..I really hope that live will improve even further gameplay wise, because graphic/presentation wise I love it a lot (Y) . Not to point exact areas, but overall for me its seems more eye candy than 2k18.

More time, not more money.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 am

I like the look of Live from a broadcast perspective. Up close 2k wins by a lot, but when I am actually playing the lighting is just far superior on Live. 2K18 has a dead feel to me because of the lighting and the lame crowd.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Does anybody know how the objectives work in pro am tour? Do you have to get all 15 objectives to earn the crate? That's a lot of work for one item. Or maybe you get all items in a crate. No idea
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Dee4Three wrote:

I like the look of Live from a broadcast perspective. Up close 2k wins by a lot, but when I am actually playing the lighting is just far superior on Live. 2K18 has a dead feel to me because of the lighting and the lame crowd.

Ive found that nba live 18 upped it's game alot this year when it came to making arenas feel alive with the flow of the game which is something that I thought 2k17 lacked, atmosphere.

They have even brought back alot of the real custom arena sounds that seemed to of faded away in nba live 16.i was using the magic last night in Orlando and it sounded (and looked) alot like the real thing for most parts.
mp3

Postby jay-r on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 pm

mp3 wrote:Ive found that nba live 18 upped it's game alot this year when it came to making arenas feel alive with the flow of the game which is something that I thought 2k17 lacked, atmosphere..

Totally agree. In my opinion that is one of the main reasons to justify the argument that this year they have closed the gap with 2k, and that’s why we hear mostly positive reviews. 2k has been slacking / resting on their laurels way too long simply relying on its superior game-play, which they still manage to fuck up from patch to patch, while ignoring parts of the game where live is better. Not sure if that’s the right word but already with NBA LIVE 18 demo I felt that I am a playing a more “lively” game overall with the legit presentation, lighting, espn, sounds, crowd, and even with some awkward animations, impossible shots being successful way to often and other issues, I still had more fun than frustration playing it -> cool areas/parts of the game overshadow its flaws (Y)
Last edited by jay-r on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jay-r

Postby mp3 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 am

Some of the gameplay flaws could be tweaked by updates or even slider adjustments, I would of liked roster management but if they keep regular updates and keep adding content I think il be happy enough sticking with just Live this year.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:27 am

I agree. As I said in the Live vs. 2K thread, elements such as animations and physics might come down to the engine, but player tendencies, ratings, and sliders (including the inaccessible sliders in modes where they're set for us, like The One, Ultimate Team, and online play) could resolve a lot of issues like high shooting percentages in the paint, and too many inside shot attempts in general.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 am

Andrew wrote:I agree. As I said in the Live vs. 2K thread, elements such as animations and physics might come down to the engine, but player tendencies, ratings, and sliders (including the inaccessible sliders in modes where they're set for us, like The One, Ultimate Team, and online play) could resolve a lot of issues like high shooting percentages in the paint, and too many inside shot attempts in general.

Nice new profile avatar there Andrew :lol:
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:19 am

Made me laugh, even if I do think the story is pretty corny overall. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 am

Andrew wrote:Made me laugh, even if I do think the story is pretty corny overall. :lol:

Better watch that tone before someone flames you! Bwahahahahaha!
Izzy Snow

Postby mp3 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:59 am

I don't care if I get flamed the mycareer story lines put me off playing it every year. I preferred it when you had to grind it out in the Dleague
mp3

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:18 am

mp3 wrote:I don't care if I get flamed the mycareer story lines put me off playing it every year. I preferred it when you had to grind it out in the Dleague

I buy basketball games to play basketball not GTA lol! That whole run the neighborhood crap made me cringe especially at how the people at the NYC even reacted. Like really? Were you really THAT excited?
Izzy Snow

Postby mp3 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:22 am

I said it a few years ago but why do you have to be from the hood every year? Why can't you be from a good background with great SaT scores? In fact why can't you spend VC on hiring a tutor to get into a better school?
mp3

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:53 am

mp3 wrote:I don't care if I get flamed the mycareer story lines put me off playing it every year. I preferred it when you had to grind it out in the Dleague

Hey some people don't play for the stories they play for the Barbie dress up portion
mp3 wrote:I said it a few years ago but why do you have to be from the hood every year? Why can't you be from a good background with great SaT scores? In fact why can't you spend VC on hiring a tutor to get into a better school?

Lol NBA 2K19: Jeremy Lin Asian American Edition

Prelude has you going to Harvard and trying to keep your grades up as a student-athlete
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 am

bigh0rt wrote:
StyxTx wrote:

More time, not more money.

Ok. I misread it.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:08 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
Andrew wrote:Made me laugh, even if I do think the story is pretty corny overall. :lol:

Better watch that tone before someone flames you! Bwahahahahaha!

So biased. :crazy:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 18