Game of Thrones Thread (The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Whose side are you on?

Cersei Lannister
No votes
Daenerys Targaryen
83%
White Walkers
17%

Total votes : 6

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers)

Postby Sauru on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 pm

for me its not a matter of "no one dying" as it is "people not dying in situations where they would surely die". for example tormund should be dead. he never should have made it to the season finale. bronn should be dead and jamie too. grey worm? yeah him and the rest of his army should be dead. over all much of what happened was predictable simple because we now have tv writers calling the shots and they are falling back on what has worked in the past.

still this was one of my favorite seasons and i wish it had a full 10- episodes as all these reunions deserved more scene time. i have waited for ever for the stark children to come together and it all felt rushed this season. i expect more reunions next season but with only 6 episodes and a shit ton of content to resolve i expect all the reunions to be very short scenes.
Sauru

Postby jenz on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I thought season 8 would have 7 episodes? Yeah, I still think season 7 is the best so far.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Sauru wrote:for me its not a matter of "no one dying" as it is "people not dying in situations where they would surely die". for example tormund should be dead. he never should have made it to the season finale. bronn should be dead and jamie too. grey worm? yeah him and the rest of his army should be dead. over all much of what happened was predictable simple because we now have tv writers calling the shots and they are falling back on what has worked in the past.

That's fair. I still say that routinely offing main characters is also predictable in its own way though, and the deaths should be meaningful. To the credit of the show and the books, I think that's mostly been the case.

I would probably agree in regards to Tormund, because he's more or less served his purpose at this point. Killing him would also make it more difficult for Jon to keep unity with the free folk, which would be a good complication for the narrative to have. As far as Grey Worm is concerned though, I disagree there. They had an easy victory because of Jaime's plan with Casterly Rock. After that, they were stuck waiting for new orders and opportunity, which came when Dany roasted the Lannister army. Unlike Tormund, he wasn't put in a situation where it was highly unlikely that an important character wouldn't die.

There's still a story arc with Jaime defecting from Cersei, so I don't mind that he survived. We also got a really good fakeout there. Bronn...I'm not sure, I could go either way on that one. A big part of his character is that he's a survivor, picking his spots and getting out of scrapes. I think it's important that there's a token somewhat good/neutral character on the bad side, as it preserves the "no side is totally good or bad" aspect. I also come back to the deaths of well-established characters needing to be meaningful and handled correctly. The timing has to be right. At the end of the day, give or take a character like Tormund, I think it just comes down to timing. Perhaps it might be different if the season had the regular ten episodes.

The Season 6 finale proved that even when going beyond the books, D&D are willing to make big changes and kill off major characters. They did the same with Shireen, and Stannis for that matter, because they haven't been killed in the books yet. Book fans complained, but killing them off wasn't outside the nature of the books. I think it's just the way it worked out with Season 7, and while there may be some missed opportunities, I think Season 8 is going to change that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 am

Lamrock wrote:I could see the Jon Targaryan epiphany being the last scene of the season. Right after Jon beds his aunt for the first time..

I was pretty close, though I wasn't exactly going out on a limb there...

Season finale was pretty good. Really enjoyed all the character reunions, and Viserion taking down the wall was a great way to kick off the long hype cycle. Sad to think that Paul George will be getting ready for his first post-season run with the Lakers by the team next season airs.

I think it's really lazy writing to omit certain parts of conversations. Many of the show's plot twists stem from misleading narration. It's terrible storytelling. If you're going to omit half of a conversation, have it be from the POV from someone who has to leave halfway through it. Otherwise it's just confusing and annoying.

As glad as I am that Sansa didn't try to have Arya killed, it's frustrating to see how stupid Littlefinger was this season, after being arguably the show's best manipulator for so long. As much of a villain as he was, it was kind of lame to see him go down with such a two-bit plot.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am

Apparently there are deleted scenes that fill in the gaps. Another drawback of the abbreviated season; even with longer episodes, stuff is still cut for time.

Not to say the Littlefinger plot couldn't have been done differently or better, but I think it's a tangled web situation. He's played multiple people and sides for too long, and also shown his hand to Sansa, teaching her too well. He's gotten away with a lot at this point, so he's cocky. He feels untouchable, and that's caught up to him, as has loyalty when you think about it. He taught Sansa the game, but whereas he has no loyalty except to himself, she obviously does still feel familial loyalty. He finally came up against someone who'd learned his tricks and how to employ those tricks themselves, but still had a strong sense of loyalty in a way that wasn't honour before reason. He's not used to that, and it did him in.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Sauru wrote:i expect more reunions next season but with only 6 episodes and a shit ton of content to resolve i expect all the reunions to be very short scenes.

iirc the final season's episodes will be longer than an hour, similar to the just concluded season finale.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:07 pm

That's what I've heard as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:50 pm

there was a rumor that they would be between 80 and 90 minutes in length which is really nice but they have so much to cover still. 2019 cant come soon enough
Sauru

Postby Lean on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 am

It's almost upon us, boys!
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby jenz on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:58 pm

Time to come out of my hibernation! :lol:
jenz

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:19 pm

At long last!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Currently rewatching the series and on Season 5 right now. Gotta say, I can't believe how many foreshadowings there were on the first season. God I can't believe I'm this invested to a sci-fi tv show. Feels greaaaaat.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 am

Is it fair to say that Littlefinger not making it through to the final stages of the saga is the biggest surprise so far? A lot of people were convinced he'd end up on the Iron Throne.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:09 am

I've got a full blown Throner.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 pm

Andrew wrote:Is it fair to say that Littlefinger not making it through to the final stages of the saga is the biggest surprise so far? A lot of people were convinced he'd end up on the Iron Throne.

I always thought it's either him or Varys.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:49 pm

It does remain to be seen what happens with Varys.

The other popular suggestion is that the White Walkers win, that everyone is killed. I think that would be too anti-climactic, too much of a cop out. The ending is supposedly bittersweet, so I expect some of the major names will be gone, but the good guys - such as they are - will ultimately triumph, just at a tremendous cost.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jenz on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:24 am

The conflict between the ideologies of Littlefinger and Varys in that scene in front of the iron throne was awesome. Also bummed that Littlefinger did not make season 8.
jenz

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 pm

I feel it was necessary to wrap up that story, and move on to a bigger threat in the climax. People talk about how unrealistic it was for so many people to survive Season 7, but it's also unrealistic and a little contrived that Littlefinger could keep scheming indefinitely and trying to play all sides without it eventually coming back to bite him, especially when he taught Sansa a thing or two. He finally ran out of moves to make, and underestimated the bonds of family, because it isn't something he truly values or understands.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Let's enjoy this one more time before Season 8 begins.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:25 am

Yesterday's intro caught me off-guard. Also, Bran creeping around giving major characters the look is funny to me. :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:23 pm

It was a really strong first episode. Nice to get some more cathartic reunions before the wars to come. I'm surprised they had Samwell tell Jon what he knew this quickly, but I suppose with only six episodes, they can't really drag it out that much. Euron continues to be highly entertaining with how unashamedly lecherous he is.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 pm

With so few episodes remaining, I was hoping for a bit more than an episode that consisted essentially of reunions and building for the remaining episodes. If we had 10 episodes, sure, but with 6, even with longer ones on the latter portion, I want to get down to brass tax.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:48 pm

From what I'm seeing, the second episode wasn't a hit with everyone, but I quite liked it. A lot of dialogue, a lot of character stuff, very reminiscent of the early episodes before the action kicked into high gear. Seeing as how the action is about to kick into high gear again in episode three, I thought it was a very appropriate "calm before the storm". Loved seeing Brienne get knighted, and Tyrion was at his best. Interesting that he feels more positive after speaking to Bran...or maybe it was just the wine talking.

Maisie Williams on THAT scene:

if u feel uncomfortable just know that my mother and my step dad and my 2 sisters and my 4 brothers have all probably watched this too ahahakillmeehehe
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Anyone buying the Baelish-faked-his-death theory? Cause I do. Stay woke.
phpBB [video]
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:16 pm

I'm not buying it. I think that would be a pretty lousy twist, frankly.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic