NBA 2K18 AI Improvements with video footage

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

NBA 2K18 AI Improvements with video footage

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 am

Check everything here :
http://www.operationsports.com/nba-2k18 ... gallagher/

I can't get a summary of everything without those excellent preview videos. I like how everything looks, I can really see some hard work and actual improvements in 2K18 on the first sight.
I Hate Mondays

Re: NBA 2K18 AI Improvements with video footage

Postby volsey on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:55 am

Honestly articles like these are what sells the games to me. This got me excited. Logical rotations, players responding appropriately (don't leave a 3 point shooter open on the 3 to cover a bad shooting C whose open outside the paint). Now I just need to hear that transition offense and defense is improved, and player speed/acceleration/momentum is no longer archaic and it sounds like I'll love this game.
volsey

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:16 am

What got me pumped up over everything are the new 8 styles of coaching. In previous games, we simply didn't have the material to tweak teams to play like their real life counterparts. I really hope those 8 styles of play will make a difference between the quick paced Rockets and the slow and experienced Spurs.
I Hate Mondays

Postby dare on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:52 am

Blogs like this makes me excited, it's well detailed too. I'm excited about System Proficiency, I think this makes free agency a lot of fun.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 am

http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/nba-2 ... mike-wang/

Just a friendly reminder that this was last years blog of a similar style. While many of the things mentioned were noticeable improvements, there is certainly some understandable hyperbole on the side of marketing. Just a friendly reminder to take this all with a grain of salt. Last year's preview boasted "AI defenders now intelligently identify the most dangerous threats and move to their assignments accordingly". Additionally, many of the additions became burdensome like locked animations. I honestly don't expect that drastic of difference but hopefully will be proven wrong.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am

Definitely a lot of promising information about the AI this year. The point about players not seeing the ball is one of the things that stands out to me. I hope that means no more blind interceptions from AI-controlled players. It feels very cheap when an AI player has their back to the play, but as soon as the pass is made, makes use of telekinetic powers to stick out their arm and effortlessly snatch it without ever looking in the direction of the passer. There's having active hands, and then there's that.

System Proficiency is definitely intriguing. If it works anywhere near as good as advertised, it's going to shake things up across all modes.

bluejaybrandon wrote:http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/nba-2k17-gameplay-blog-mike-wang/

Just a friendly reminder that this was last years blog of a similar style. While many of the things mentioned were noticeable improvements, there is certainly some understandable hyperbole on the side of marketing. Just a friendly reminder to take this all with a grain of salt. Last year's preview boasted "AI defenders now intelligently identify the most dangerous threats and move to their assignments accordingly". Additionally, many of the additions became burdensome like locked animations. I honestly don't expect that drastic of difference but hopefully will be proven wrong.

This is a fair point, too. I prefer to temper my expectations to "pleasing improvements and fixes for some of the most egregious issues", rather than "everything I ever wanted and no problems at all".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Andrew wrote:I prefer to temper my expectations to "pleasing improvements and fixes for some of the most egregious issues", rather than "everything I ever wanted and no problems at all".

I actually really like that perspective. Keeping expectations in check is always something I've struggled with in 2k releases, then I got burned and cynical. Seems like a good way to strike a happy medium.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 pm

The other thing to keep in mind, as others have pointed out, is the impact of patches. Last year's patches fixed some things, but caused other problems, and left other troubling issues unresolved along the way. Hopefully, there is better balance this year, and fewer glaring issues that can't be resolved without causing damage elsewhere.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TGsoGood on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Andrew wrote:The other thing to keep in mind, as others have pointed out, is the impact of patches. Last year's patches fixed some things, but caused other problems, and left other troubling issues unresolved along the way. Hopefully, there is better balance this year, and fewer glaring issues that can't be resolved without causing damage elsewhere.

If you are on PC... BACK UP YOUR .EXE FILE with every patch.
I loved 2K17 on day 1, it was never the same for me after patches came.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Fine, fine, just take my money already!
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:26 pm

TGsoGood wrote:
Andrew wrote:The other thing to keep in mind, as others have pointed out, is the impact of patches. Last year's patches fixed some things, but caused other problems, and left other troubling issues unresolved along the way. Hopefully, there is better balance this year, and fewer glaring issues that can't be resolved without causing damage elsewhere.

If you are on PC... BACK UP YOUR .EXE FILE with every patch.
I loved 2K17 on day 1, it was never the same for me after patches came.

Definitely. Playing 2K Pro-Am on PS4, you're not so lucky.

That's the funny thing, though. As I've said before, while a lot of the tweaks were supposedly made to benefit the online experience at the expense of the offline experience, I don't think the online experience necessarily got better in a lot of ways. Certainly, some of the biggest exploits are still there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Nick on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Sounds promising. I especially liked that there's a "System match" element for signing players in MyLeague. I imagine that will exist for drafting players too.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:21 pm

The thought occurs that with a coach's system and abilities being more vital to a team's success than before, I hope we don't see as many random coaching changes in MyLEAGUE, MyGM, and MyCAREER. That's something I wanted to see fixed up anyway, but it could really mess things up if coaches are changing teams too readily and unnecessarily. Gregg Popovich seemed to end up on the Celtics for a lot people throughout those modes in NBA 2K17, for example. That frequency needs to be adjusted, and there needs to be sound logic in place for when coaches do move on.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 am

Andrew wrote:The thought occurs that with a coach's system and abilities being more vital to a team's success than before, I hope we don't see as many random coaching changes in MyLEAGUE, MyGM, and MyCAREER. That's something I wanted to see fixed up anyway, but it could really mess things up if coaches are changing teams too readily and unnecessarily. Gregg Popovich seemed to end up on the Celtics for a lot people throughout those modes in NBA 2K17, for example. That frequency needs to be adjusted, and there needs to be sound logic in place for when coaches do move on.

Has anyone seen a good CPU logic when it comes to Sixth Man of the team? In my limited seasons I've played MyLeague, it seems that the better players always get a start and there is no team going for that off the bench energy. It might not occur in the first season but the moment a team trades a player or does a new signing, the sixth man like Eric Gordon, Zach Randolph, Patty Mills etc. gets a start immediately. Maybe I've been unlucky and this thing doesn't happen to everybody but I'd love to see an improvement in this area in addition to the new coaching logic Andrew is expecting. This combo would make the experience ten times better for me.
I Hate Mondays

Postby timmyd on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:33 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:
Andrew wrote:The thought occurs that with a coach's system and abilities being more vital to a team's success than before, I hope we don't see as many random coaching changes in MyLEAGUE, MyGM, and MyCAREER. That's something I wanted to see fixed up anyway, but it could really mess things up if coaches are changing teams too readily and unnecessarily. Gregg Popovich seemed to end up on the Celtics for a lot people throughout those modes in NBA 2K17, for example. That frequency needs to be adjusted, and there needs to be sound logic in place for when coaches do move on.

Has anyone seen a good CPU logic when it comes to Sixth Man of the team? In my limited seasons I've played MyLeague, it seems that the better players always get a start and there is no team going for that off the bench energy. It might not occur in the first season but the moment a team trades a player or does a new signing, the sixth man like Eric Gordon, Zach Randolph, Patty Mills etc. gets a start immediately. Maybe I've been unlucky and this thing doesn't happen to everybody but I'd love to see an improvement in this area in addition to the new coaching logic Andrew is expecting. This combo would make the experience ten times better for me.

You can, you have to edit players and change something to "force non-starter" lol or do what I do, control 30 teams haha
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:43 am

timmyd wrote:

You can, you have to edit players and change something to "force non-starter" lol or do what I do, control 30 teams haha

So that's what that option does? Never figured it out lol, I thought it was about forcing non-starters to guard that specific player. It was that easy all along.
But basically, what we have now is a On/Off Switch. However we have it in the day 1 roster of MyLeague, that's what we have to stick with the remainder of the mode. For the basic player that is too lazy to control 30 teams, I'd like to see those change throughout the years. Like for example, Jamal Crawford was starting early in his career before his potential for a sixth man was discovered when he started to age. Maybe Klay Thompson is a starter now because he is a young stud on a great team, but when he hits 31 he realises his firepower is a better fit for a sixth man at that age and he wins 4 SMOY in a row, lol.
I Hate Mondays

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

Some more AI logic, this time on offense : http://www.operationsports.com/nba-2k18 ... g-da_czar/
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 pm

More great stuff from Da_Czar there. Sounds like they've gone back to a good control system with the playcalling and on-the-fly substitutions. AI improvements are promising.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby DANet on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Andrew wrote:More great stuff from Da_Czar there. Sounds like they've gone back to a good control system with the playcalling and on-the-fly substitutions. AI improvements are promising.

Was it just me...or did anybody else hear Da_Czar's voice in their head as they read the article :lol:
DANet

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:00 pm

DANet wrote:
Andrew wrote:More great stuff from Da_Czar there. Sounds like they've gone back to a good control system with the playcalling and on-the-fly substitutions. AI improvements are promising.

Was it just me...or did anybody else hear Da_Czar's voice in their head as they read the article :lol:

From the very first word to the last fullstop, lol. I want that man to narrate my life
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 pm

DANet wrote:

You're not alone, there! :czar:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:52 pm

No offense, but LongLiveQuebec would narrate better.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Nick on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:25 pm

I might have imagined it, but i'm pretty sure i recall davez (2k ML dev) address this over at OS. I don't remember the details of what he said exactly because there has been so much information coming in, but at the least i know for sure that they're aware of that. They may have even fixed it.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Nick on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:23 am

There's a really good/friendly Q&A going on with Da_Czar over at OS if anyone's interested: http://forums.operationsports.com/forum ... _czar.html

Czar is a gameplay dev, he's the man behind all the plays-related stuff, and he keeps it real. If there's anything you're curious about gameplay, plays, tendencies, etc, now's your time
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:16 am

Nick wrote:There's a really good/friendly Q&A going on with Da_Czar over at OS if anyone's interested: http://forums.operationsports.com/forum ... _czar.html

Czar is a gameplay dev, he's the man behind all the plays-related stuff, and he keeps it real. If there's anything you're curious about gameplay, plays, tendencies, etc, now's your time

I like the new playing calling system, and that they switched the subs back to the D-Pad. I also like the new breakdown in tendancies (Assuming it functions right) as it related to shooting (Off-Screens, on the move, etc) and the new ISO tendencies.

Thanks for sharing this, pumped for this game.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA 2K18