Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Honestly the first game was what kept me away from the series. Then I heard that the second game was really good so I thought "fine, I'll try again".
After I finished the first game I felt the story was fine, the gameplay really didn't fit with me well.
Then I booted up the second game and I was hooked.

So essentially, the first Witcher game is like the first season of Blackadder.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Lamrock on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am

Just got Madden 18. Same game as last year pretty much - less polished than 2K, but I still think the core gameplay is funner. Looking forward to checking out the story mode.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Lamrock wrote:Just got Madden 18. Same game as last year pretty much - less polished than 2K, but I still think the core gameplay is funner. Looking forward to checking out the story mode.

nah bro the animations aren't smooth and it looks cartoonish
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:05 pm

Lamrock wrote:Just got Madden 18. Same game as last year pretty much - less polished than 2K

What
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lamrock on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:46 am

I mean, 2K's got the major edge in terms of features and minor details. Madden's gameplay is just funner for me, though trying to play defense against the CPU is pretty frustrating.

Playing Fallout: New Vegas on and off for some reason, using a different build. Still a fun game.
Lamrock

Postby jenz on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 pm

So I just started playing Mass Effect Andromeda for 2 hours.

Initial impressions: not much of a graphical upgrade from the last game. Animations and menus are much more refined in Mass Effect 3. Oh well, I'm still a sucker for the series. I think it will grow on me.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby jenz on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Sorry for the double post.

Oh shiiiiite. This game is bad. A lot of the facial expressions and overall animations are laughable and outright stupid looking. It really takes away from the experience. I don't know whether to laugh or be angry. This looks like a beta product. Here I thought the patches made it better.
jenz

Postby el badman on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 am

jenz wrote:Sorry for the double post.

Oh shiiiiite. This game is bad. A lot of the facial expressions and overall animations are laughable and outright stupid looking. It really takes away from the experience. I don't know whether to laugh or be angry. This looks like a beta product. Here I thought the patches made it better.

Assuming that you're playing the fully updated version of the game, it actually used to look even worse than that at first, believe or not.
Because I'm also a sucker for the series, I ended up doing two full playthroughs of the game, and it certainly some good stuff going for it, but it's very obviously a step below what Bioware has given us in the past (which is not too surprising given the many development issues they've apparently had). The fact that there won't even be any DLCs doesn't help their cause either, which is too bad, that might have been a way to redeem the game a little.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby jenz on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for your inputs. I will still complete the playthrough, ofcourse. I will just be a little bit bitter along the way.

I think they stopped single player support since they don't expect to sell much from DLC's.
jenz

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Andromeda is what happens when you use a rookie studio with essentially no prior experience, underpay it and rush it.

That said, gameplay was actually a step up from original trilogy in my mind.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:37 pm

I still think it's not that bad, it could have been a good game if it wasn't titled "Mass Effect." But then again, it sucks that they used their B team (or even their C team) to develop their primary franchise.

And also, it's a shame that they announced last week that there will be no future DLC, especially for that ambiguous ending about the missing Quarian ark -- which they also announced that it would be addressed in books and comics.

Fuck Bioware, fuck EA. My only hope for the franchise to become good again is when Casey Hudson and Drew Karpshyn step back into development and with EA hands-off the development cycle.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 pm

I've been splitting my gaming time between a few titles lately:

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Even though this was labelled as some as "glorified DLC", I think The Lost Legacy is a great game in its own right. I love the dynamic between Chloe and Nadine, and I really like how they converse with each other during the driving parts.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Downloaded it less than 13 hours ago and I've already completed the first episode. I was a huge fan of the original season, and I think I'm going to be into this one as well. It's not perfect. There are a few cringey lines of dialogue, lack of subtlety (eg: saying "that guy is a dick" after they did something dickish), and it's a bit jarring at first hearing Chloe voiced by someone who isn't Ashly Burch. But in saying all that, the compelling story is still there and I'm looking forward to the upcoming installments.

Also, it seems to be a game that has a fairly attainable Platinum trophy.

Dark Souls III

Because apparently I'm a masochist who likes to swear at his television repeatedly. Seriously though, after getting into Bloodborne, I have a great appreciation for the Souls series now, and 3 has been a lot of fun. I'm a little stuck at the moment, though, which makes it hard to play for any length of time.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:58 am

I played LIS when it was a free giveaway and thought the story was pretty decent. Wasn't as powerful as some make iT out to be but I definitely dug the time travel (I'm a sucker for time travel) and the mystery.
They got a different girl to voice Chloe?

BTW, in the original, did you get different endings for making different choices throughout the game? Or is it only based off your last choice? I don't like how telltale games pretend you can change the story but the two paths always come back together so it doesn't even matter
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:09 pm

They had to go with a "non-union" option for Chloe, because apparently there was a strike in the Screen Actor's Guild during the making of the game. You can check out the article here.

I can't say for certain, but I think the ending in the first game is based off the last choice, while the other decisions tend to influence how you interact with other characters. I think that was actually a big criticism of the ending of LIS. While I enjoy the Telltale games, I do agree with your criticism about choices not particularly shaping the outcome of the game. I guess I just like how the Telltale games tell their stories and it's something that I don't particularly mind. Games from Quantic Dream - especially Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls - seem to be shaped by decisions a lot more. That said, those games probably have a lot more work go into them as well.

On that note, I've read that Detroit: Becoming Human has two thousand pages in its script.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Heavy Rain was so sick. 16 different endings. I actually got everyone killed my first play through and was confused by the ending. the game had seemed a bit short, but i love that's when you die, you die and there's no resetting/replaying of the game. It just continues on seamlessly.

Beyond was probably not as fun a game as Heavy Rain but probably a better story. I can't wait for Detroit. That game is going to be epic
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 pm

You got everyone killed? That's kind of amazing. I played through the game twice and only managed to get one person killed (her name alludes me at this time, but I failed to save her when the car was sinking. She wasn't a playable character, though, so I'm not sure it counts.). I also like the idea of perma-death in those games. It really adds weight to the decisions you make.

I think I liked Beyond a little more because the mechanics made more sense and they were more purposeful. In Heavy Rain, it seems like a lot was put in there just to test out the control innovations (eg: shaving Ethan). Also, you can't really go wrong with Willem Dafoe.

I'm looking forward to Detroit as well, although, it's hard for me to get too excited about a game that doesn't have a confirmed release date. I think Mass Effect: Andromeda kind of crushed my spirit in that regard :lol:
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Yeah I liked Ellen Page in Beyond. She was such a high profile hiring that The Last of Us, which was developed around the same time, basically copied and used her likeness for Ellie lol

Her performance was so good, it was a unique experience for me. I've never been so sucked into a female character's story before. It got to the point where the dude asks her to go behind the building and I thought "I might get raped" and as a guy I've never thought that before
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 am

Played a bunch of New Vegas, and finally played Lonesome Road, which was... okay. Kind of burnt on the slow pace, so I think I'll "shelve" (it's a digital copy) that one for a while.

Also been playing lots of Madden 18. Played through the Longshot mode last night. Basically a four hour football-themed Telltale Games wannabe. I enjoyed it though. Nothing like the myCareer mode because you don't actually get to play in the NFL. Also been playing my franchise with the Seahawks. 10-4 right now. Finally figured out how to play defense against the CPU to a certain extent, but it's the same cycle of frustration and excitement that it is every year. Pretty fun though.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 am

I enjoyed Lonesome Road for the backstory and mystery of Ulysses' character. Some pretty challenging parts too, especially after you create The Courier's Mile.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:55 am

Yeah, I think I would have appreciated Ulysses more if I had played the DLC in 2011 when I was more interested in the story. I recall Dead Money being the hardest DLC, but this one had a couple challenging parts. My 3-STR 3-END character had a tough time on the road with the deathclaws. And those Stealth Boy rocket launcher ghouls definitely killed me a few times.. Luckily that idiot Ulysses fell for my 90-Speech check and helped me fight off the ghouls and didn't mind me bombing the Legion...
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:25 am

I imagine there would be some disconnect if it's been a while since you played through New Vegas and felt connected to the story. Dead Money is more challenging with the initial lack of equipment and the explosive collars that will be set off by the speakers, but Lonesome Road is tough in its own right. The Tunnellers can be brutal.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Lonesome Road is probably my favorite DLC for New Vegas, particularly with the mods I have installed that just make it all the more enjoyable. Away from New Vegas, I've picked up Dark Souls 3 again and defeated the optional Dark Eater Midr boss. It was more of a trial n' error cut short, because I summoned someone who know exactly what to do. Normally I like to dodge everything to learn the attack animations first, but oh well.

Definitely a boss I wouldn't mind repeatedly fighting alone or with others. Probably my favorite boss in the game, but my favorite for the soulsborne series is still Ludwig (has something to do with the soundtrack ha-ha).
Cpt(K)

Postby jenz on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:04 pm

I just finished Shadow of War. That was one lackluster ending.
jenz

Postby Lamrock on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:12 am

About a year ago, this indie game called Not A Hero was a free PS Plus game. It looked kinda interesting, but I never played it until the other day when I decided to download a bunch of PS Plus games. Man, am I glad I did.

It's a 2-D shooter with rudimentary graphics from the makers of OlliOlli. It has a wacky story (made all the more charming by it taking place in Britain) and simple, but challenging gameplay. I can't put it down... It's a little frustrating at times, but the stages are so short, that "just one more" turns into a dozen more attempts.. And there are several different characters to choose from, each with their own pros and cons. Though I tend to use the same one for every level.

It's not mind-blowing, but if you like indie games or old school 2D shooters, maybe give it a look. Especially if you claimed it off PS+ back when it was on there.
Lamrock

Postby bowdown on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:14 am

A bunch of Batman games just got added to the Origin Vault. I have never played the LEGO series so I am starting with that.
bowdown

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic