"Coaching systems will play a role in adding talent via the draft or FA in MyGM"

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

"Coaching systems will play a role in adding talent via the draft or FA in MyGM"

Postby Nick on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm stupidly reading hype articles like a fool, but this little gold nugget stood out to me as very promising:

Coaches Matter More Than Ever

A new menu called system proficiency gives you the breakdown of what system each coach prefers to run. Each of the many systems (like defense, triangle, perimeter centric, etc.) comes with its own set of bonuses and negative effects based on how well the coach runs the system and how well the players fit into that scheme. You can quickly understand how good a coach is with a particular scheme via the five-star rating he has, and players have a colored rating that ranges from red to green that tells you how well they fit into that system.

To make sure the systems fit the real-world NBA schemes, Visual Concepts polled coaches, players, and managers around the league. This new system will play a key role in adding talent via either the draft or free agency in MyGM. If your coach's system doesn't fit your roster, you may also want to look at bringing someone in who can maximize your team's potential with a different system. System proficiency also plays a role in roster formation in MyDynasty. "This is stopping the Iverson/Kobe/Jordan lineups being on the floor at the same time," says designer Scott O'Gallagher. "We know that's not going to work."

From this article: http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/blog ... /nba_2k18/

If the coaching system self-awareness is on point then this is a sneaky AWESOME feature for MyLeague.
Hopefully you can edit the coach profiles like last year.

I wonder if the coach's system influences player training? Hope so.
I.e. a team where Phil Jackson is running the triangle is gonna prioritize developing his starting PG's 3pt shooting and defense over its ball handling and shot creation. Popovic is gonna prioritize a player's IQ-based and skill attributes over raw athletic attributes. Stuff like that. Coaches have preferences, and that should be expressed in the player training choices.

Also, there was no mention of this, but while i'm here, there should be a rating or slider for every coach that dictates where they stand on the Player Development vs Win Now scale. I.e. teams in rebuild mode will sometimes hire coaches specifically to contribute towards the development of their young players. Some teams will hire coaches to maximize their current players productivity but are less focused in long-term development. Some coaches can do both.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Re: "Coaching systems will play a role in adding talent via the draft or FA in MyGM"

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:29 pm

If that pans out, it's definitely an interesting layer of logic to add to MyLEAGUE/MyGM. It obviously has such a big effect on team building and player performance in real life, so that'll be cool if they can capture the essence of that in the game.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: "Coaching systems will play a role in adding talent via the draft or FA in MyGM"

Postby Jackal on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:11 am

I read something similar in one of the articles and I'm quite excited about it if it works out. I think the example used was the Knicks with the triangle but not having the players for it.

I'm really looking forward to this years 2K, I finally got a PS4 so I'll be getting the game on release date for a change. :D

I hope they also fixed the assistant coaches giving speeches cutscene during time outs. I don't wanna see my assistant coach more than I see my head coach.
Jackal

Postby burnshroom on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 am

MyDynasty?!?!?

Is this the new MyLeague? Or will this be what MyGM is rebranded to?
burnshroom

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:47 am

I'd say neither, at least going by the developer blog that explicitly referred to MyLEAGUE, MyLEAGUE Online, and MyGM.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Nick on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:23 pm

burnshroom wrote:MyDynasty?!?!?

Is this the new MyLeague? Or will this be what MyGM is rebranded to?

It's a misprint by the writer. He meant MyTeam
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Glancing at social media, it seems like one misprint got a lot of people excited for nothing.

Kinda like PC listings for NBA Live 18, in that regard. Can't trust anyone online these days. :crazy:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Nick on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:55 am

Just had a thought. I wonder if every team is different in regards to how much influence the coaching system has in drafting players? Or if the coaching system affects drafting decisions the same amount for all teams? In the NBA, some teams go for assets/upside regardless of team fit (Houston, Denver), and some teams draft for team fit (Spurs, Utah, Portland).

Which teams do which intention? Well, a rebuilding team is probably more inclined to go for upside in general. A contending team is probably more interested in team fit. Teams in "buying" mode are probably somewhere in the middle. But it varies, irregardless of team state. Does it sorta more come down to the GM style? Some GM's swing for the fences, some don't.
Interesting food for thought anyway
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:57 am

Sounds like its coach specific. Pringles teams will draft 3 point shooters, popovich teams will go for high IQ team players etc
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA 2K18