2017-18 Roster

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K17 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

2017-18 Roster

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 am

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know I'm currently working on a 2017-18 roster with accurate portraits, players, rookies and more. It will use many of the resources that the NLSC community roster used so it will play similar but there will be adjustments to players based on community feedback (ex. Player X is shouldn't be ranked higher than Player Y). I want to work closely with the community to ensure the most accurate roster possible. Additionally, this will have the previously promised 2017 draft information for rookies along with no jarring nicknames in-game. This includes over 15 new rookies in free agency. Hopefully this will help get by as we near the NBA 2k18 release.

bluejaybrandon

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:22 am

Writing this down also, me and the other members of the NLSC community team advise you, Brandon, not to use our roster as a base because we don't give you our permission to do so. Feel free to keep the tendencies and portraits used in the NLSC Community Roster, as that was your work. Just a heads up. As it looks like now, I see from the screenshots that the ratings of the players are identical to ours and that is a little bit too strange to be a coincidence.
Can't blame you until you release anything but this was just FYI. Good luck with your project!
I Hate Mondays

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:34 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:Writing this down also, me and the other members of the NLSC community team advise you, Brandon, not to use our roster as a base because we don't give you our permission to do so. Feel free to keep the tendencies and portraits used in the NLSC Community Roster, as that was your work. Just a heads up. As it looks like now, I see from the screenshots that the ratings of the players are identical to ours and that is a little bit too strange to be a coincidence.
Can't blame you until you release anything but this was just FYI. Good luck with your project!

Thanks man, every number will be different from the numbers your project has. If you have a 30 rating, I'll be sure this roster has a 29 so people don't get confused that it's your numbers.
bluejaybrandon

Postby rovert22044 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:40 am

Though I used your draft class, I created 99% of the rookies created on the roster. I updated all the transactions. I updated the contracts. Now you think you can just take the roster and credit it to yourself? You've got to be kidding. Lol

Honestly, if I were you, I would start from scratch. You go back and update transactions, contracts, ratings, tendencies, add rookies, jersey numbers, equipment, etc etc on the latest 2K roster update because I'd rather you not use my work, especially without permission.

So if you're going to continue, please delete all the rookies I've made (I can provide a list) and re-add them yourself, re-do ratings, re-do tendencies, re-do jersey numbers, re-do equipment/shoe edits, and re-do all the transactions since the off-season started. I did most of that work and you don't have my permission going forward to use it.
rovert22044

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:48 am

rovert22044 wrote:Though I used your draft class, I created 99% of the rookies created on the roster. I updated all the transactions. I updated the contracts. Now you think you can just take the roster and credit it to yourself? You've got to be kidding. Lol

Honestly, if I were you, I would start from scratch. You go back and update transactions, contracts, ratings, tendencies, add rookies, jersey numbers, equipment, etc etc on the latest 2K roster update because I'd rather you not use my work, especially without permission.

The rookies in this roster are straight from my draft class. I used the amazing method found by TGsoGood to draft each rookie to the correct team and then save the roster. So all my work there. The transactions, contracts, and jersey numbers are all public information so that's easily obtained. Tendencies are all my own work. Equipment is gained from getty images. That leaves ratings which we decided I will be changing.

And I don't think I'm going to use the default 2k roster when I was responsible for the base of the NLSC community roster.
bluejaybrandon

Postby rovert22044 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:53 am

bluejaybrandon wrote:
rovert22044 wrote:Though I used your draft class, I created 99% of the rookies created on the roster. I updated all the transactions. I updated the contracts. Now you think you can just take the roster and credit it to yourself? You've got to be kidding. Lol

The rookies in this roster are straight from my draft class. I used the amazing method found by TGsoGood to draft each rookie to the correct team and then save the roster. So all my work there. The transactions, contracts, and jersey numbers are all public information so that's easily obtained. Tendencies are all my own work. Equipment is gained from getty images. That leaves ratings which we decided I will be changing.

And I don't think I'm going to use the default 2k roster when I was responsible for the base of the NLSC community roster.

Except for the fact that you weren't, we all were. And if we refuse to let you use our roster as a base, then you cannot go forward with the project unless you can provide beyond a reasonable doubt that you rebuilt the roster and didn't just copy over it.

And changing one rating on a player isn't going to make things ok. You still used our ratings as a base, therefore, it's our work. But it's ok, the Mods will be involved soon and this joke you're trying to do won't be allowed unless you rebuild the roster from the ground up without our base.
rovert22044

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 am

Brandon, to put it shortly, there are areas I personally edited and I didn't let you guys know. It's impossible to keep track of everything if you want to use our stuff as a base. It's also impossible to have some of the edits identical to the NLSC Community Roster. If you want to make things 95% authentic, you should be starting from scratch. That's the only way. Looking forward to this beauty (Y)
I Hate Mondays

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:03 am

rovert22044 wrote:
bluejaybrandon wrote:

Except for the fact that you weren't, we all were. And if we refuse to let you use our roster as a base, then you cannot go forward with the project unless you can provide beyond a reasonable doubt that you rebuilt the roster and didn't just copy over it.

And changing one rating on a player isn't going to make things ok. You still used our ratings as a base, therefore, it's our work. But it's ok, the Mods will be involved soon and this joke you're trying to do won't be allowed unless you rebuild the roster from the ground up without our base.

I know you came on late to the project, but I used the DEST roster as a base for what became the NLSC community roster. I had already added several dozen portraits and kept transactions up to date, so yes I was responsible for the base. You guys are delusional quite frankly. you're fighting over numbers in a video game. Anyone on the forums can grab that roster change whatever they want and say they have updated it. I am going to choose ratings I think best represent the players and if they are close to your roster, that's coincidence. I don't think it's best to grasp at straws here. If you want to threaten me with the mods coming after me that's fine. I've been polite through this whole process and intend to go about my business with the unreleased version of the roster. I've tried to be helpful to people on the forums and maybe they download this roster, maybe they don't but regardless I'm making a roster I think is a good representation of the 2017-18 season for myself and sharing it with the community.

I Hate Mondays wrote:Brandon, to put it shortly, there are areas I personally edited and I didn't let you guys know. It's impossible to keep track of everything if you want to use our stuff as a base. It's also impossible to have some of the edits identical to the NLSC Community Roster. If you want to make things 95% authentic, you should be starting from scratch. That's the only way. Looking forward to this beauty (Y)

Oh those hidden attributes in 2k that no one knows about...I'm over this. I'll release what I want and we'll go from there
bluejaybrandon

Postby rovert22044 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:16 am

bluejaybrandon wrote:
rovert22044 wrote:
bluejaybrandon wrote:

I know you came on late to the project, but I used the DEST roster as a base for what became the NLSC community roster. I had already added several dozen portraits and kept transactions up to date, so yes I was responsible for the base. You guys are delusional quite frankly. you're fighting over numbers in a video game. Anyone on the forums can grab that roster change whatever they want and say they have updated it. I am going to choose ratings I think best represent the players and if they are close to your roster, that's coincidence. I don't think it's best to grasp at straws here. If you want to threaten me with the mods coming after me that's fine. I've been polite through this whole process and intend to go about my business with the unreleased version of the roster. I've tried to be helpful to people on the forums and maybe they download this roster, maybe they don't but regardless I'm making a roster I think is a good representation of the 2017-18 season for myself and sharing it with the community.

And DEST could have easily came to the forums and said, "Hey. I don't want you guys using my roster as a base." That's his right because that's his work. The difference between that theoretical situation and our current situation is he hasn't come forward and denied permission, whereas we have. It's not your work to copy over and label as your own. What's funny is you previously in the group criticized a person of this community for doing the same thing, and yet, here you are following in his footsteps. You may be able to fool the average NLSC user, but what you have said behind the scenes about them and the way you've handled this is not polite in the least. We're denying you the right to our work and you're moving on with the project anyway. That's somehow polite to you?

Regardless of what you think you're doing, you're not using our roster as a base. That is set in stone and the final verdict here. Whether you rebuild the roster completely on your own or use another roster as your base, I could really careless. But you won't be using our roster, that's for certain. Had you asked from the start, I would have been completely ok with you using it. But you didn't, so this is the route we are forced to take.
rovert22044

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 am

Going to post this here as well, just for clarity's sake:

I'd just like to point everyone to our community Rules, since there seems to be some uncertainty here...

Rules wrote:Credit must always be given when using someone else's work in a patch or mod, unless a user has specifically stated that their work is open source and/or no credit is required. Ideally, you should also ask permission first, as someone members are not comfortable with their work being modified or used in other projects.

Having said that, we do encourage our modding community to adopt an open source approach as much as possible, in an effort to create better work and promote cooperation. To keep things friendly, it's a good idea to keep an open mind about other members using your work, and to always be willing to give credit when you use someone else's work. Please see the Permission & Modding Etiquette section below for more details.

As mentioned above, we do encourage everyone to adopt an open source approach when it comes to creating patches and mods. It makes for a friendlier and more productive community when we can all share resources and help each other create better updates for the game. However, some modders are uncomfortable with their work being modified or re-used in other projects, so a good rule of thumb is to ask permission first, just to make sure there are no issues.

If you do forget to ask permission, or the person who made the original work is no longer around or otherwise difficult to contact, it's a good idea to include the appropriate credits just in case. Please note that some members openly offer up their work as open source and do not require credit to be given. This is at the discretion of the individual.

Generally speaking, we also encourage everyone to resolve disputes and issues with credit cordially. If you remove the work or provide appropriate credit, usually that will (and should) be the end of the matter. If you refuse to show the appropriate etiquette and give credit where it's due, then further action may be taken.

bluejaysbrandon, based on what I've read above, I'd think your best course of action would be to use the Default roster (Edit: or whatever roster you used as a base initially, be it the Dest Roster, or some other that you have permission to use) as the starting point for whatever individual project you wish to undertake, given that it sounds like those who were working on this together do not sound very keen on you taking the work that was compiled here and simply using it for your own, or to continue on your own. I hope this can be the end of this matter, and that no further action is necessitated.

Thanks folks.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 am

bigh0rt wrote:Going to post this here as well, just for clarity's sake:

I'd just like to point everyone to our community Rules, since there seems to be some uncertainty here...

Rules wrote:Credit must always be given when using someone else's work in a patch or mod, unless a user has specifically stated that their work is open source and/or no credit is required. Ideally, you should also ask permission first, as someone members are not comfortable with their work being modified or used in other projects.

Having said that, we do encourage our modding community to adopt an open source approach as much as possible, in an effort to create better work and promote cooperation. To keep things friendly, it's a good idea to keep an open mind about other members using your work, and to always be willing to give credit when you use someone else's work. Please see the Permission & Modding Etiquette section below for more details.

As mentioned above, we do encourage everyone to adopt an open source approach when it comes to creating patches and mods. It makes for a friendlier and more productive community when we can all share resources and help each other create better updates for the game. However, some modders are uncomfortable with their work being modified or re-used in other projects, so a good rule of thumb is to ask permission first, just to make sure there are no issues.

If you do forget to ask permission, or the person who made the original work is no longer around or otherwise difficult to contact, it's a good idea to include the appropriate credits just in case. Please note that some members openly offer up their work as open source and do not require credit to be given. This is at the discretion of the individual.

Generally speaking, we also encourage everyone to resolve disputes and issues with credit cordially. If you remove the work or provide appropriate credit, usually that will (and should) be the end of the matter. If you refuse to show the appropriate etiquette and give credit where it's due, then further action may be taken.

bluejaysbrandon, based on what I've read above, I'd think your best course of action would be to use the Default roster (Edit: or whatever roster you used as a base initially, be it the Dest Roster, or some other that you have permission to use) as the starting point for whatever individual project you wish to undertake, given that it sounds like those who were working on this together do not sound very keen on you taking the work that was compiled here and simply using it for your own, or to continue on your own. I hope this can be the end of this matter, and that no further action is necessitated.

Thanks folks.

I'll make sure that no values in my roster match the NLSC community roster. Thank you.
bluejaybrandon

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:24 am

bluejaybrandon wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Going to post this here as well, just for clarity's sake:

Thanks folks.

I'll make sure that no values in my roster match the NLSC community roster. Thank you.
Please read carefully, as this is not what the Rules, or my post, illustrate.

I've been among the largest proponents of community projects here at the NLSC over the last decade. Every major project I've ever worked on has been grounded as such. Nothing is better than when the sum of the community comes together to make something greater than an individual in the community is possibly capable of.

That being said, it has been made pretty apparent by several people that piggy backing off of work that was not done by you is something that has expressly been asked for you not to do. So I'd advise you not to try to be cute here, and if you wish to create a project on your own to, in fact, create said project on your own, fully. Just a suggestion. One worth taking though.

I wish you the best of luck with your project.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby rovert22044 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 am

Thank you, bigh0rt.

The work we did goes FAR beyond values like ratings and tendencies. We've all put in a great deal of work into the NLSC roster so going forward, using another roster base off 2K's latest official or some other user's roster is the route we would like to take here. Not a quick, cute change of ratings and tendencies by a few values. We would like to see it done from scratch with no trace of our roster in it.
rovert22044

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:31 am

rovert22044 wrote:Thank you, bigh0rt.

The work we did goes FAR beyond values like ratings and tendencies. We've all put in a great deal of work into the NLSC roster so going forward, using another roster base off 2K's latest official or some other user's roster is the route we would like to take here. Not a quick, cute change of ratings and tendencies by a few values. We would like to see it done from scratch with no trace of our roster in it.

There's no need to continue any sort of drama here and clutter bluejaysbrandon's modding thread. Let's get this back on-topic, and anybody who has anything else to add can feel free to PM me or one of the other Team Members. (Y)
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby rovert22044 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 am

bigh0rt wrote:
rovert22044 wrote:Thank you, bigh0rt.

There's no need to continue any sort of drama here and clutter bluejaysbrandon's modding thread. Let's get this back on-topic, and anybody who has anything else to add can feel free to PM me or one of the other Team Members. (Y)

Sounds like a plan. Thank you for stepping in. :mrgreen:
rovert22044

Postby zetsuboushta on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:58 am

Hope for near release.
zetsuboushta

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am

zetsuboushta wrote:Hope for near release.

Thanks man. Go a lot of time soon so should be released then. Right now I've got a good handle on attributes. Just kinda using my understanding of the NBA. Again, after release anyone is welcome to make suggestions regarding their favorite teams or players. (ex. Kyrie's inside finishing is too low. Embiid's three point is too high). Can't wait for the feedback.
Last edited by bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluejaybrandon

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:58 am

OG is looking good! Correct draft information included!

bluejaybrandon

Postby Cheddish on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:22 am

Finally made an account and stopped lurking! Looking forward to this man! I really wanted to have Anunoby as he never had a CF or a portrait in the community roster version. Also will you be able to make sure the rookies are on year 1 and last years are on year 2? The community roster has them all as year 1 so in Association mode Fultz and Embiid are rookies together????

Thanks again for the effort and being willing to tweak ratings and rosters and time goes on. Looking forward to the release before 2k18!
Cheddish

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:25 am

Cheddish wrote:Finally made an account and stopped lurking! Looking forward to this man! I really wanted to have Anunoby as he never had a CF or a portrait in the community roster version. Also will you be able to make sure the rookies are on year 1 and last years are on year 2? The community roster has them all as year 1 so in Association mode Fultz and Embiid are rookies together????

Thanks again for the effort and being willing to tweak ratings and rosters and time goes on. Looking forward to the release before 2k18!

Yes sir that will all be correct for this roster. Embiid will be in his second year as he should be (remember he missed his rookie year for injury). Just so it's out there though, Simmons will be considered a rookie because he missed last year with injury. It may look like a mistake but its intentional.
bluejaybrandon

Postby zetsuboushta on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:28 pm

bluejaybrandon wrote:
zetsuboushta wrote:Hope for near release.

Thanks man. Go a lot of time soon so should be released then. Right now I've got a good handle on attributes. Just kinda using my understanding of the NBA. Again, after release anyone is welcome to make suggestions regarding their favorite teams or players. (ex. Kyrie's inside finishing is too low. Embiid's three point is too high). Can't wait for the feedback.

I'll give you maximum feedback, especially for Rockets. I like your work so much and I'm waiting eagerly for your solo roster.
zetsuboushta

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 am

New money, new number! Tim Hardaway Jr. is back in the big apple! Check him out in with his new Knicks portrait!

bluejaybrandon

Postby AlvaroXXV on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 am

amazing work on th portraits. with what tool do you edit the draft year, for example, markelle fultz?
AlvaroXXV

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 am

AlvaroXXV wrote:amazing work on th portraits. with what tool do you edit the draft year, for example, markelle fultz?

I utilize the method TGsoGood discovered recently to save a MyLeague file as a roster file then manually drafted the correct players to the correct teams at the correct picks.

For more information, check out his video here:

phpBB [video]

and the thread about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=225&t=103740
bluejaybrandon

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 am

One major perk of this 2017-18 roster I forgot to mention is that all stats from the 2016-17 season will be accurate within the roster. For example, here is a comparison of Tim Hardaway Jr's roster stats vs. real life stats.

(also Russell Westbrook is the 2017 MVP, Malcolm Brogdan is the 2017 Rookie of the Year, etc.)

bluejaybrandon

Next

Return to NBA 2K17 Modding