Seattle Supersonics 2K17 (S2: 2018 NBA Champions! + Retirees + Draft Lottery)

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Seattle Supersonics 2K17 (S2: 41-14 + All-Star Game + New Signing)

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:45 am

Solid backup there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Seems like yesterday that the New Jersey Nets traded Jason Kidd for Devin Harris and the crowd was chanting "thank you Cuban"....it's been all downhill since then for him.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Kenny on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Andrew wrote:Solid backup there.

I thought so too. He was probably the best PG available via free agency.

Valor wrote:Seems like yesterday that the New Jersey Nets traded Jason Kidd for Devin Harris and the crowd was chanting "thank you Cuban"....it's been all downhill since then for him.

Yeah, that was definitely his peak. I thought he was really good for New Jersey, it's just a shame he's fallen off since then.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Porter and Sonics Withstand Monster Night from McGee

The Sonics came away with a 117-107 win against the Pelicans, despite an incredible effort by JaVale McGee. The Shaqtin a Fool regular came up big once again against the Sonics, tallying 19 points and 18 rebounds. The Sonics’ had major problems keeping him, Solomon Hill (12 points, 10 rebounds) and Anthony Davis (11 points, 14 rebounds) off the boards. But thankfully, they had the answers on the offensive end.

Otto Porter continued his incredible breakout season, top scoring with 35 points. Patrick Mills also had one of his better games of the season, with 23 points and 9 assists. Jamal Crawford (13 points) and Luc Mbah a Moute (11 points) both had solid debuts for the Sonics, and despite a big rebounding game by the Pelicans, Jarnell Stokes held his own with 10 points and 18 rebounds.

Other contributors for New Orleans included Buddy Hield (20 points), who was the top scorer for the Pelicans. Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans were also relatively productive on offence, scoring 17 and 10 respectively.

Sonics Tame Timberwolves

The Sonics pulled away early from the Timberwolves, resulting in a 125-96 win.

Jamal Crawford proved that he was acquired by Seattle for more than sentimental reasons, pouring in a team high 25 points. Otto Porter was influential with 24 points, while Andrew Nicholson (14 points) and Dion Waiters (13 points) complemented the palindrome’s offensive efforts well. Patty Mills had one of his better games of the season, tallying 12 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists. Jarnell Stokes was also productive with 10 points and 6 rebounds.

For the Timberwolves, Kris Dunn and Andrew Wiggins both scored 24 points each. However, the team’s offence was barely existent outside of their two top scorers, as Jordan Hill (he’s still in the league, apparently) and Karl-Anthony Towns were the only other double-digit scorers, with 11 points each.

Bucks Halt Sonics Win Streak

The Sonics were dealt a 98-92 loss against the Bucks, thanks to an impressive performance by Milwaukee’s prodigal son, Brandon Jennings. Jennings top scored for the Bucks with 27 points. Greg Monroe (18 points, 11 rebounds) proved to be an asset in the paint, while Khris Middleton (13), Jabari Parker (12 points, 8 rebounds) and John Henson (10) all had significant contributions to the surprise win.

Shooting just 41 percent from the field, the Sonics leaned heavily on Otto Porter, who scored 34 points off 12-26. Andrew Nicholson also had a solid performance, with 15 points and 11 rebounds, but the Sonics offence struggled otherwise. Patty Mills (10 points, 8 assists) was the only other double-digit scorer, but he got his points from an awful 4-15 from the field.

Harris Provides Boost Against Nuggets

The Sonics picked up a 116-111 win against the Nuggets.

Otto Porter (30) and Jamal Crawford (19) were both impressive on the night, but it was Devin Harris who provided the biggest surprise of the night. In just his second game for the Sonics, Harris added 15 points off the bench, from an efficient 5-7 from the field. Arron Afflalo and Andrew Nicholson also registered double figures in points, with 14 and 10 respectively.

Kenneth Faried (24 points, 10 rebounds) and Danilo Gallinari (23 points) provided the biggest threats for the Sonics, while Nikola Jokic also had a productive night off limited opportunities, tallying 14 points and 9 rebounds. Will Barton managed to score 11 points, but struggled with 4-14 from the field.

Harris Excels in Start Against Sixers

The career revival of Devin Harris continued in the Sonics’ 102-87 win over the Sixers in Philadelphia.

After earning a start in just his 3rd game of the season, Harris put up 23 points and 9 assists, leading the Sonics in both categories. Otto Porter was also strong with 22 points and 7 rebounds, while Jamal Crawford (16) and Dion Waiters (12) both provided solid contributions from the two-guard position. Not to be outdone, unsung hero Andrew Bogut (10) reached double figures in scoring, to go with his massive 18-rebound effort.

For the Sixers, Kent Bazemore top scored with 18 points. Ben Simmons (11 points, 5 rebounds, 12 assists) and Joel Embiid (11 points, 8 rebounds) also put up impressive numbers, but had little help from the supporting cast.

Sonics Blowout Wizards

The Sonics had of their most emphatic wins of the season in the nation’s capital, winning 124-88 against the Wizards.

Otto Porter led all scorers on the night, tallying 24 points off 8-15 shooting against his former team. However, the numbers of the role players in the team also proved to be impressive as well. After a 41-17 second quarter, the Sonics were able to give extended minutes to their bench, which new recruit Luc Mbah a Moute took full advantage of. Mbah a Moute put up a season high 21 points off a perfect 9-9 from the field. This output was just 1 point off his career best effort of 22. Jamal Crawford also provided a spark off the bench, with 16 points, while Devin Harris continued his stellar career resurgence with 15 points and 9 assists. Jarnell Stokes was also in double figures, with 10 points and 7 rebounds.

Kevon Looney scored the most for the Wizards, with 14 points off 7-13 shooting. Trey Burk and Marcin Gortat (13 rebounds) both scored 13 points, while John Wall had a slightly off night with 11 points, 7 assists and 5 turnovers.

Last 6 Games

NOP: 117-107 W
@MIN: 125-96 W
MIL: 98-92 L
DEN: 116-111 W
@PHI: 102-87 W
@WAS: 124-88 W

Overall: 46-15

Injury List

No injuries!
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Re: Seattle Supersonics 2K17 (S2: 46-15)

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Seems Harris' revival might become the story of the season, assuming he can keep having solid performances. When I get a new player, I always find myself eager to have them have an impact early on...if only to justify the transaction, I suppose!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Devin Harris! :shock: I thought he was just for depth!
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Kenny on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Andrew wrote:Seems Harris' revival might become the story of the season, assuming he can keep having solid performances. When I get a new player, I always find myself eager to have them have an impact early on...if only to justify the transaction, I suppose!

Happens to me a lot it seems. I sign one or two guys after the deadline and they do really well early on. I had the same thing happen with Jermaine O'Neal and Jason Richardson in NBA 2K15. So, I always give my late signings a chance to shine.

Valor wrote:Devin Harris! :shock: I thought he was just for depth!

He was, but after giving him some garbage time, I realised he was better at creating his own shot than Patty. So, since Patty was really inconsistent - and I'm in a pretty good spot as far as the playoffs are concerned - I decided to give Harris an audition as a starter.

In any case, it's a temporary fix since he's 35. I'll probably pursue someone in the off-season.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Sonics Hold on in Houston

The Sonics grinded out a 97-96 against the Rockets in Houston. Down 97-93 after two made Devin Harris free throws, Ryan Anderson hit a 3 to shave the Rockets’ deficit to just 1 point. However, with 3 seconds left on the clock, the Sonics successfully ran out the clock.

Arron Afflalo and Jamal Crawford shared the top point scoring honours for the Sonics, with 21 points each. Otto Porter wasn’t far away from that honour either, scoring 21 points, while Andrew Nicholson (11 points, 11 rebounds) and Shaun Livingston (10 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists) were also strong for the Sonics.

For the Rockets, it was the James Harden show once again, as the beard registered 30 points, 6 assists and 4 steals. Clint Capela was a force in the paint, with 16 points and 16 rebounds, while Ryan Anderson had 13 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists.

Unfortunately for the Sonics, the win didn’t come without a cost. During the first quarter, Dion Waiters fell hard to the ground after defending a James Harden drive. It was later revealed that Waiters broke his ribs and will be out for approximately 1-2 weeks.

Afflalo and Porter Power Past the Clippers

The Sonics easily got past the Clippers, with a 121-105 victory in Seattle. Otto Porter (30) and Arron Afflalo (28) turned up big time, with the latter starting in place of the injured Dion Waiters. Devin Harris also played a significant role, tallying 19 points and 12 assists, while Jamal Crawford scored 16 points off the bench against his former team.

Chris Paul had an excellent game for the visiting team, registering 31 points, 9 assists and 5 steals. Wilson Chandler also did well against his former team, scoring 17 off 7-9 from the field. J.J. Redick added 16 points, while Brice Johnson continued to do an admirable job in Blake Griffin’s absence, by scoring 10 points off 5-7. However, the Clippers’ complementary players didn’t have anywhere near the same impact as the role players from the Sonics.

Mixed Bag for Harris in Win Against Minnesota

For better and worse, Devin Harris was the most influential Sonics player in their 101-87 win against the Timberwolves. Harris had an impressive stat line of 23 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 steals and a blocked shot. However, along with getting a lot of steals, ball security was also a big issue for Harris. His 11 turnovers brought up a new franchise record, eclipsing the previous mark of 10 set by Patrick Mills.

Thankfully for the Sonics, they had enough solid performances across the board to make up for the turnover problem. Otto Porter top scored once again, with 27 points. Jamal Crawford had his moments, but was ultimately inefficient in scoring his 13 points, doing so off 5-16 shooting. Arron Afflalo notched up 12 points, while Tony Snell added 11.

On the other side of court, the Timberwolves only had 3 players in double digits, led by Kris Dunn. Dunn had 22 points, 5 assists and 4 steals. Andrew Wiggins added 18 points off 7-18 from the field, while Zach LaVine tallied 11 points and 8 assists.

Otto Outlasts Kemba and the Hornets

In a game where both teams shot poorly, Otto Porter proved to be the difference in the Sonics’ 91-83 win over the Charlotte Hornets. Porter stuffed the stat sheet with 27 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks. He was the only player on both sides who looked consistently comfortable on offence.

Elsewhere for the Sonics, Devin Harris followed his record-breaking game with another doozy. He struggled his way to 11 points off 3-13 shooting, while also recording 8 turnovers on the night. The turnovers from Harris led Arron Afflalo to take over the main playmaking duties, and AAA’s numbers reflect that, as he ended up with 10 points and 7 assists on the night.

For the Hornets, Kemba Walker equalled Otto Porter’s effort of 27 points. However, it was a far less efficient performance from the Hornets’ floor general, as he shot 12-29 from the field and coughed the ball up 5 times. Nicolas Batum (4-13) also struggled for his 12 points, but was incredibly only 3 steals away from a quadruple-double, with 10 rebounds, 10 assists and 7 steals, while Yi Jianlian tallied 10 points and 6 rebounds.

Harris Breaks His Own Record in Loss Against Wizards

Despite great production from Arron Afflalo (27), Jamal Crawford (27) and Otto Porter (20), turnovers were the deciding factor in the Sonics’ 101-98 loss to the Wizards. Once again, the main culprit was Devin Harris, who eclipsed his previous turnover record with 12 turnovers against the Wizards. Even though he performed admirably in his initial games with the Sonics, the experiment with Devin Harris at the point might be coming to an end after a disastrous run. In the last 3 games, Harris has averaged over 10 turnovers a game.

With Harris struggling, John Wall capitalised by registering 24 points and 6 assists. Marcus Thornton (13 points, 5 steals) and Jae Crowder (13 points, 8 steals) gave the Sonics the most troubles in terms of turnovers, while Markieff Morris and Marcin Gortat scored 11 points each.

Sonics Emphatically Return to the Winners’ Circle Against Nets

After losing the first game of the series, the Sonics were clinical in their 112-74 demolition of the Brooklyn Nets in game two. Otto Porter looked to have a career night, scoring 17 points in the first quarter. But Porter ended up tallying just 20 points. Even more surprisingly, Otto Porter’s backup actually scored more than Porter himself. With his extended minutes, Tony Snell ended up with 22 points off 7-13 shooting, while Jamal Crawford (14) and Luc Mbah a Moute (12) also capitalised on their extra playing time.

The Nets, on the other hand, struggled all night on offence and only had two players that scored in double digits. Caris LeVert led all scorers with 16 points, while Tyler Hansbrough added 10 points in his 12 minutes of play.

Last 6 Games

@HOU: 97-96 W
LAC: 121-105 W
@MIN: 101-87 W
CHA: 91-83 W
WAS: 101-98 L
BKN: 112-74 W

Overall: 51-16

Injury List

Dion Waiters – Broken Ribs – 1-2 Weeks (Out)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:29 am

Congrats on the new franchise record, it's been a fine season so far!

Kenny wrote:
Andrew wrote:Seems Harris' revival might become the story of the season, assuming he can keep having solid performances. When I get a new player, I always find myself eager to have them have an impact early on...if only to justify the transaction, I suppose!

Happens to me a lot it seems. I sign one or two guys after the deadline and they do really well early on. I had the same thing happen with Jermaine O'Neal and Jason Richardson in NBA 2K15. So, I always give my late signings a chance to shine.

I think the desire is always there to give them a shot and make them have an impact. Sometimes that works out, other times it works against you and you try to do too much, and they end up being busts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Seattle Supersonics 2K17 (S2: 51-16 + Franchise Record Broken!)

Postby Lamrock on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:16 am

2009 and 2019 all-star Devin Harris?
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Andrew wrote:Congrats on the new franchise record, it's been a fine season so far!

Kenny wrote:

I think the desire is always there to give them a shot and make them have an impact. Sometimes that works out, other times it works against you and you try to do too much, and they end up being busts.

I didn't realise that Devin Harris actually picked up two in that one game (turnovers and steals).

I have a tendency of picking up players I like late in the season, so I always want to overachieve with them. I did the same with my Cleveland association when I picked up Channing Frye. And I like to think that someone within the Cavs organisation read my thread.

Lamrock wrote:2009 and 2019 all-star Devin Harris?

He's still great at creating his own shot, it's just a shame that he's such a turnover machine. Body steals are a bitch.

So at this stage, I'll just say maybe ;)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Cavs Bring Sonics Down to Earth

Many consider the Sonics as a main contender for the Larry O’Brien Trophy, but the Cavaliers made a statement in their 103-89 win.

While LeBron’s statistics (12 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists) were relatively modest, Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson came up big in Cleveland. Irving tallied 33 points, 6 assists and 6 steals, while Thompson had 18 points and 15 rebounds on the night. Along with LeBron’s 12-point effort, Tyson Chandler and Donatas Motiejunas also scored 12 points each.

Opposed to the star contributions from the Cavs stars, it was a fairly lukewarm performance from the Sonics. Otto Porter scored 17 points off 7-16 from the field, while Arron Afflalo ended up with 15 points and Patty Mills struggled for his 11. The best performance of the night for Seattle arguably came from Brandon Rush. With the game already over, Brandon had a late scoring rush, with 13 points off 5-6 shooting.

Holy Snell: Sonics Smash the Lakers

In the Sonics’ 137-79 annihilation of the Lakers, the crowd chants of “M.V.P.” could be heard as the star of the game went to the line. It wasn’t Otto Porter, Arron Afflalo, or Andrew Nicholson. Instead, it was Tony Snell’s time to bask in the glory of what was a career game for the swingman. Snell registered a career high 40 points, as well as 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals. Most of his points were assisted by Shaun Livingston, who also had an outstanding game with 16 points and 11 assists. Jamal Crawford was another bench player in double digits, with 15 points, while starters Otto Porter (14), Patrick Mills (12) and Arron Afflalo (10) all took a back seat after starting the rut for the Lakers.

For the Lakers, it was a one man show, with D’Angelo Russell the only Laker in the game who came away with impressive stats. D-Russ ended up with 27 points and 11 assists on the night. Former Sonics forward Amir Johnson was the only other Lakers player in double figures, with 10 points off 5-6 from the field.

Patty Finds Form Against Thunder

Patrick Mills made a statement in the 105-90 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder. After struggling through the back half of the season, Mills was back to his explosive best with 29 points and 11 assists. He worked well with Otto Porter, who scored 26 points himself. Jamal Crawford also managed 14 points for the Sonics.
The Thunder were always going to struggle without their MVP, and they leant heavily on Victor Oladipo. The Thunder two guard had 27 points and 5 assists, but was inefficient from the field with 12-30. Cameron Payne put up 16 points and 7 assists, while Enes Kanter (15 points, 13 rebounds) and Steven Adams (14 points) were both solid in the paint. Coty Clarke also had a meaningful contribution, with 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists.

Sonics Takedown Lakers

For the second time in the space of 5 days, the Sonics easily accounted for the Lakers, winning 103-88.

This time around, Andrew Nicholson got the best of Julius Randle and Amir Johnson by scoring 23 points and grabbing 14 rebounds. Arron Afflalo was also productive on the night, with 18 points. Otto Porter was down on his usual point scoring averaging, scoring 16 points, while Patrick Mills and Jamal Crawford scored 13 each. Finally, it was a more subdued game from Tony Snell. After scoring a career-high 40 in his previous outing against the Lakers, Snell had 10 points and 5 rebounds from the bench.

It was a slightly more even offensive effort this time around for the Lakers, as D’Angelo Russell and Brandon Ingram shared the top scorer honours with 18 points each. However, Lance Stephenson (11) was the only other Laker to score in double digits, which proved to be the Lakers’ downfall against the offensively-minded Seattle Sonics.

Snell Yeah: Sonics Extend Streak to 4

In the Sonics’ 98-86 win, Tony Snell was the unlikely star for the second time in a week. With Patrick Mills fouled out, Ime Udoka put Tony Snell in at the point, which proved to be a master stroke, as Snell top scored with 22 points and came up with some big plays on both ends. He once again outshined Otto Porter, who himself ended up with 19 points. Jamal Crawford (14) once again made an impact off the bench, while Devin Harris was a beneficiary of Patty’s foul trouble, scoring 10 points in his extended minutes.

The Mavs were gallant in defeat, with Dwight Powell (18 points, 12 rebounds) putting up some big numbers for the visitors. Harrison Barnes scored 17 points off 8-21 shooting, while Alex Len (12 points, 13 rebounds) and Dennis Smith (11 points) also made meaningful contributions to the effort.

The game was far more competitive than the score may suggest. The Dallas Mavericks actually held a 69-63 lead heading into a the 4th quarter. However, the Sonics blew the Mavs away in the final quarter by 35-17, thanks to the clutch play of Tony Snell.

Last 5 Games

@CLE: 103-89 L
LAL: 137-79 W
@OKC: 105-90 W
LAL: 103-88 W
DAL: 98-86 W

Overall: 55-17

Injury List

Dion Waiters – Bruised Rib – Day-to-day (Recovering)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Re: Seattle Supersonics 2K17 (S2: 55-17 + Tony Snell!)

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Snell's play has been great, but the puns his name facilitates make his acquisition even more worthwhile.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:04 am

All those Snell puns :lol: :applaud:
55-17 is amazing, looking forward to the playoff run!
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Kenny on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 am

Andrew wrote:Snell's play has been great, but the puns his name facilitates make his acquisition even more worthwhile.

He's the gift that keeps on giving... and honestly, probably one of my better perimeter defenders.

Valor wrote:All those Snell puns :lol: :applaud:
55-17 is amazing, looking forward to the playoff run!

I'm trying to make him the new cult hero :cool:

As of right now, I'm only one game away from the playoffs, and I can say that the race to the first seed has gotten really close.

Now I just need to catch up with my posts.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:37 am

Sonics Keep Streak Going in Memphis

The Sonics picked up their 5th straight win with their 97-90 victory over the Grizzlies.

Jamal Crawford proved that age hasn’t hindered his ability to pile on the points. He led the Sonics with 25 points. Otto Porter (21 points) once again provided his consistent scoring, while Andrew Nicholson (16 points, 9 rebounds), Patrick Mills (11 points, 8 assists) and Shaun Livingston (10 points, 4 assists, 4 steals) were all significant in keeping the streak alive.

Gerald Green (19 points, 5 rebounds, 8 assists) and Mike Conley (16 points, 7 assists) were the Grizzlies best performers, while Marc Gasol and Chandler Parsons scored 15 and 11 respectively.

Suns Stun Sonics in Seattle

Paul Millsap led the Suns stunning 101-95 win against the Sonics. Millsap tallied 22 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks. Brandon Knight was also influential with 18 points, while Devin Booker (13 points), Eric Bledsoe (12 points, 5 rebounds, 10 rebounds) and Josh Jackson (10 points, 4 rebounds) also played their part.

The Sonics didn’t quite have the same team impact on offence, with Otto Porter (28 points), Patrick Mills (18 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists) and Arron Afflalo (15 points) carrying most of the offensive load.

Pelicans Deal Sonics Second Straight Loss

With JaVale McGee out injured, Anthony Davis was the beast for the Pelicans in their 114-104 win over the Sonics. The Brow filled up the stat sheet with 33 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks in his 48 minutes on the floor. Jrue Holiday was also strong, with 21 points and 7 assists. However, Cheick Diallo was the supporting player that turned the most heads for the Pelicans. The second-year player out of Kansas registered career highs in points (19) and rebounds (17 points) on his way to his best game as a pro. Along with Diallo, Buddy Hield was another sophomore player to make an impact for the Pelicans, with 13 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals.

The Sonics had a strong offensive performance, with 5 players scoring in double figures. Otto Porter led the way once again, with 23 points. Patrick Mills continued his late season resurgence, with 19 points and 13 assists, while Tony Snell also continued his run of form with 18 points off the bench. Jarnell Stokes had 16 points and 11 rebounds, but struggled to keep Cheick Diallo and Anthony Davis off the offensive glass. Arron Afflalo tallied 14 points and 6 rebounds.

Sonic Guards on Point Against Jazz

Shaun Livingston had his best performance of the season in the Sonics’ 105-100 win against the Jazz. After he successfully posted up Dante Exum in his first two attempts, the second unit continued to play through Livingston, who ended up with 24 points. Patrick Mills also had a strong night at the point, with 22 points and 6 assists. Otto Porter and Arron Afflalo both reached double figures with 19 and 12 respectively.

The Jazz were led by Derrick Favors, who tallied 26 points and 7 rebounds. Jeff Green scored 17, while George Hill was only 3 rebounds away from a triple-double, with 11 points, 7 rebounds and 12 assists. Rudy Gobert (12 points) and Bojan Bogdanovic (10 points) tallied minor scores.

Sonics Humiliate Pacers

Seven Sonics players reached double digits in scoring in Seattle’s 105-73 win over Indiana.

Dion Waiters put up his best performance since returning from injury, scoring 19 points off 7-12 shooting. Arron Afflalo also put up an impressive performance, with 18 points, while Patrick Mills (15 points) and Jamal Crawford (13 points) also had solid contributions. Shaun Livingston and Otto Porter added 12 points each, and Tony Snell scored 10 points.

As the score suggests, no one from the Pacers got any momentum. Monta Ellis top scored, with 11 points, but scored from an inefficient 5-15 from the field. Paul George (4-11) and Darrell Arthur (4-9) scored 10 points each.

Last 5 Games

@MEM: 97-90 W
PHX: 101-95 L
@NOP: 114-104 L
@UTA: 105-100 W
@IND: 105-73 W

Overall: 58-19

Injury List

No injuries!
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Re: Seattle Supersonics 2K17 (S2: 58-19 + Only 5 Games left!)

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:48 am

No injuries!

A refreshing change of pace, after the first season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Wolfy03 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Cool story, just keep it going! :D
Wolfy03

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:47 am

Petition to change this story's name to "Snells Like Teen Spirit"?

You're killing it. Hope your team doesn't falter like the 2013 Nuggets
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:15 am

I'd extend the pun a bit further and suggest "Snells Like Team Spirit".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Andrew wrote:
No injuries!

A refreshing change of pace, after the first season.

And considering that I had Boban wiped out for the first half of the season, thanks to Summer League. 2K isn't screwing me over as much towards the end of the season, which is nice.

Wolfy03 wrote:Cool story, just keep it going! :D

I shall try. Thanks for reading :)

Lamrock wrote:Petition to change this story's name to "Snells Like Teen Spirit"?

You're killing it. Hope your team doesn't falter like the 2013 Nuggets

Andrew wrote:I'd extend the pun a bit further and suggest "Snells Like Team Spirit".

Snello, Snello, Snello, Snell Low...

...but yeah, that's brilliant. I can't believe it never clicked before. I guess I was thinking more about Pearl Jam puns, since Even Flow came on in the park when I was in Seattle.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Lakers Avoid Season Sweep

After being on the end of two major blowouts against the Sonics, the Lakers managed to avoid a season sweep with a 92-85 win in Los Angeles.

D’Angelo Russell led the way for the Lakers with 20 points and 9 assists, while Jordan Clarkson (19), Brandon Ingram (17) and Zach Randolph (12) all reached double figures.

For the Sonics, Patrick Mills was the most influential, with 21 points and 9 assists. Dion Waiters made an impact off the bench, scoring 13 points off 4-7 shooting, while Otto Porter (2-8) and Tony Snell (4-12) both struggled for their 11 points each.

The biggest discrepancy in the game proved to be rebounding. The Lakers got numerous second chance opportunities, while the Sonics only scored 1 basket from an offensive rebound.

Porter and Waiters Serve Defeat to Sixers

Dion Waiters and Otto Porter both had great performances in the Sonics 104-95 win against the Sixers. The two stars from the Sonics scored 25 points each, while Shaun Livingston also had a strong game, scoring 18 points off an almost-perfect 9-10 from the field.

The Sixers had a platoon of double-digit scorers, but none of them really took control of the game. Jerryd Bayless led the way with 16 points. Avery Bradley and Ben Simmons scored 14 points, with the latter just three assists away from a triple-double (11 rebounds, 7 assists). Joel Embiid (13 points, 8 rebounds) was close to another double-double, while Kent Bazemore and Jahlil Okafor scored 11 each.

Sonics Score Telling Win Against Warriors

The Sonics picked up a 2-1 season series win against the Warriors with their 114-103 win in Oakland.

In the game considered as a possible preview of the Western Conference Finals, Patrick Mills had arguably his best performance of the season. The Sonics’ floor general tallied 24 points and 16 assists - as well as 4 rebounds and 2 steals – against Stephen Curry. Many of his dimes were given to Dion Waiters, who lit the Warriors up for 19 points off 7-9 shooting. Andrew Nicholson also had one of his better nights, with 17 points and 14 rebounds, while Otto Porter (15), Jarnell Stokes (12) and Tony Snell (10) made significant contributions to the win as well.

Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson did their part to keep Golden State afloat, scoring 26 points each, while Kevin Durant and Draymond Green both tallied 17 points apiece. However, the Warriors fell away in the 4th quarter, as they were outscored by the Sonics 28-18.

That loss for the Warriors was their 5th in a row, which in turn means the Sonics are now only 1 game behind them in the race to the 1st seed.

Sonics Keep Rolling in Motor City

The Sonics backed up a massive win against the Warriors with a 105-82 blowout against the Pistons.

Otto Porter was back to his best, leading all scorers with 32 points off 10-14 from the field. Patrick Mills continued his hot form against the Warriors, tallying 20 points and 7 assists, while Dion Waiters was strong once again, with 16 points, 3 rebounds and 5 assists.

Even though Ben McLemore (22) led the scoring for the Pistons, Andre Drummond was their most influential player. The Leftos favourite registered 20 points, 17 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals and 2 blocks. However, outside of Ben McLemore, Drummond didn’t have much help on offence. In fact, Reggie Jackson was the only other double-digit scorer for the Pistons, but he scored his 14 points off an inefficient 6-18 from the field.

Sonics Fall in Finale Against Cavs

The Sonics were beaten 99-83 in their final regular season game against the Cavs. As a result, they will contend for the NBA Championship from the second seed.

Despite shooting 10-32 from the field, it was Kyrie Irving’s night. He ended up with 23 points and 7 assists. LeBron (5-11) was more efficient from less attempts, tallying 14 points, 5 rebounds and 8 assists. Kyle Korver had the most surprisingly stat line of the night, filling up the sheet with 13 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals, while Tristan Thompson (12 points, 13 rebounds) and Kevin Love (10 points, 12 rebounds) both had double-doubles. Iman Shumpert also contributed to the win by scoring 11 points.

The Sonics got off to a great start on the back of Andrew Nicholson, who ended up with 16 points on the night. Unfortunately, they fell away towards the end. Otto Porter was clearly bothered by LeBron James, and only tallied 12 points off 3-10 shooting. Andrew Bogut managed to step up in a big way, with 11 points, 17 rebounds and 2 blocks, but the damage had already been done by the inefficiency of Porter. Otto’s struggles were compounded by Dion Waiters, who scored 10 points off 4-12.

The Sonics needed to win this game to draw level with the Warriors, who have one game left in their regular season schedule. With the second seed, the Sonics will now have a first round rematch against the Houston Rockets.

Last 5 Games

@LAL: 92-85 L
PHI: 104-95 W
@GSW: 114-103 W
@DET: 105-82 W
CLE: 99-83 L

Overall: 61-21

Injury List

No injuries!
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

End of Regular Season Standings

West

Warriors 63-19
Sonics 61-21
Spurs 58-24
Clippers 54-28
Jazz 45-37
Rockets 43-39
Lakers 41-41
---
Timberwolves 40-42
Mavericks 40-42
Pelicans 39-43
Nuggets 38-44
Thunder 37-45
Suns 34-48
Kings 25-47
Grizzlies 24-48

East

Cavaliers 57-25
Bucks 51-31
Magic 51-31
Bulls 42-40
Wizards 42-40
Barons 40-42
Celtics 40-42
76ers 39-43
---
Pacers 38-44
Raptors 38-44
Heat 36-46
Pistons 34-48
Knicks 32-50
Nets 31-51
Hawks 26-56
Hornets 21-61

League Leaders

Rebounds: DeAndre Jordan 15.4
Assists: Reggie Jackson/LeBron James 8.5
Steals: Paul George 3
Blocks: DeAndre Jordan 3
Turnovers: Mike Conley/Victor Oladipo 4
FG%: DeAndre Jordan .664
3PT%: J.J. Redick .512
FT%: Patrick Mills .947
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Regular Season Awards 17-18

More fuel for Nick Wright to be Nick Wrong about LBJ being better than Michael Jordan. That said, LeBron James had an amazing season and deserved yet another MVP trophy.

Jayson Tatum narrowly edges out Mavericks floor general Dennis Smith with a solid first season. Even though the Heat are heading to the lottery, the future is bright with Tatum and the South Beach franchise.

Brandon Knight repeats as the 6th man award winner. Whether he plays with Eric Bledsoe or handles the point duties, Knight did a great job providing an offensive spark for the Suns.

DeAndre Jordan is another repeat award recipient, after another impressive season helping establish the Clippers’ defensive culture.

Kemba Walker must have won the Electoral College, because there’s no way he had a more standout season than Otto Porter.

After the Sonics had an impressive first season under Milan Mack, Ime Udoka helped continue their surprise early success by coaching them to an additional 7 wins.

Team Selections

All-NBA First Team

[GSW] Stephen Curry
[CLE] Kyrie Irving
[CLE] LeBron James
[GSW] Kevin Durant
[SAC] DeMarcus Cousins

All-NBA Second Team

[TOR] Kyle Lowry
[CHI] Jimmy Butler
[NOP] Anthony Davis
[NYK] Carmelo Anthony
[BOS] Al Horford

All-NBA Third Team

[HOU] James Harden
[TOR] DeMar DeRozan
[BAL] Gordon Hayward
[PHI] Ben Simmons
[MIN] Karl-Anthony Towns

All-Defensive First Team

[CHI] Jimmy Butler
[WAS] John Wall
[CLE] LeBron James
[NOP] Anthony Davis
[LAC] DeAndre Jordan

All-Defensive Second Team

[PHX] Eric Bledsoe
[TOR] Kyle Lowry
[IND] Paul George
[GSW] Draymond Green
[SEA] Andrew Bogut

All-Rookie First Team

[MIA] Jayson Tatum
[DAL] Dennis Smith
[SAC] Harry Giles
[NYK] Terrance Ferguson
[CHI] Ivan Raab

All-Rookie Second Team

[CHA] Frank Ntilikina
[BOS] Markelle Fultz
[BOS] Terry Larrier
[LAC] Malik Monk
[BOS] Wenyen Gabriel
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Patrick Mills
80 GP (74 GS)
10.9ppg 7.4apg 1.9spg
.402 FG .326 3PT .946 FT

After the impact he made in his first season with the Sonics, this season was a relatively lacklustre one for Patrick Mills for the most part. Aside from his free throw percentage – which is the best in the league among eligible players – Patty’s shooting percentages are below where they should be for a legit starting point guard. In saying that, though, Patty reacted well after being benched in favour of Devin Harris. He had a great stretch of 10 games at the end of the season, and will likely be a key factor in the Sonics’ playoff run.

Contract status

Patty signed his contract extension last season, so he still has a few seasons left on his contract. In saying that, the Sonics could move him if they want to make a play for a star point guard.

Arron Afflalo
47 GP (27 GS)
10.5ppg 1.8rpg 1.2apg
.477 FG .371 3PT .895 FT

It took a while for Afflalo to get some momentum this season, but he was never in bad form. He once again proved to be that reliable guy who shoots efficiently, but doesn’t demand the ball on every possession. And while his defence isn’t at the level it was in his prime, he’s still a guy who works hard to stay in front of his opponent and isn’t a liability on that end. He’s a really solid 3rd option for the team.

Contract Status

Arron Afflalo will be an unrestricted free agent in the off-season. If the price is right, there would be no hesitation to sign him to a multi-year deal, since he’s such a low-maintenance player who contributes on both ends.

Otto Porter
82 GP (82 GS)
22.3ppg 4rpg 1spg
.508 FG .370 3PT .856 FT

Kemba Walker won the Most Improved award, but let’s be real – it should have went to Otto Porter. In just .2 minutes more than his previous best season, he was +10.7 points and +.035 on his field percentage. He also established himself as the 1st option – instead of the 3rd option - in the West’s 2nd seed.

Contract Status

Otto Porter was arguably the signing of the season and he has another 3 years left on his current contract. It’s safe to say that he’s not going anywhere.

Andrew Nicholson
82 GP (82 GS)
13.1ppg 7.6rpg 1bpg
.550 FG .232 3PT .871 FT

It’s surprising to see that Andrew Nicholson’s point production is only -1 from the previous season, since he fell in the offensive pecking order towards the end of the season. But he once again proved that, in the right system, he can be incredibly effective.

Contract Status

Andrew Nicholson is under contract for next season. Since $6.64M is very reasonable for a starter in today’s NBA, it’s unlikely that he’ll be going anywhere anytime soon.

Andrew Bogut
71 GP (71 GS)
4.4ppg 11.1rpg 2.4bpg
.631 FG .577 FT

Even though Andrew Bogut’s offensive output was at a career low, his value to the team is still immense due to his defensive impact. Bogut is still one of the best defensive centres in the league, and for a second season in a row, he was named to the All-Defensive Second team.

Contract Status

Much like Patrick Mills, Andrew Bogut also signed a contract extension last season, which will take him into his mid-30s. It’s not a bad contract by any means, but the Sonics could look to go younger if the playoffs don’t pan out in their favour.

Dion Waiters
70 GP (55 GS)
14ppg 1.5rpg 2.4apg
.467 FG .372 3PT .827 FT

Otto Porter might get all the recognition for his season, but Dion Waiters was also a great buy for the Sonics. In the past, Waiters has struggled to put up solid performances on a consistent basis, but this season, he managed to put up 10-15 on a nightly basis – and he did so rather efficiently. When you also consider that Waiters is a decent defender, it’s not hard to see why he’s currently getting minutes over Jamal Crawford.

Contract Status

Dion Waiters has a $9.4M Team Option for 18-19, which will most likely be exercised.

Shaun Livingston
82 GP
5.2ppg 4.6apg 1.1spg
.557 FG .067 3PT .909 FT

There’s probably an element of dejavu in this statement, but Shaun Livingston really is the perfect backup point guard. He’s great at running an offence, has wonderful court vision and is a matchup nightmare at times due to his height. The stability he adds to the second unit is invaluable.

Contract Status

Shaun Livingston is on contract for next season and will probably be the Sonics’ backup point guard for as long as he wants to stay in Seattle.

Boban Marjanovic
46 GP (2 GS)
3.1ppg 8.1rpg 1.5bpg
.605 FG .870 FT

After missing the first half of the season with a spinal injury, it was fair to predict that Boban Marjanovic might have a lukewarm season. His rebounding and block numbers are still great for a backup centre, but he’s one of those lumbering centres that are seemingly being phased out as the league is getting faster. There were numerous times where he couldn’t get back on defence fast enough, giving the opponent an easy score underneath the basket. This could be a problem going forward.

Contract status

Boban Marjanovic still has next season left on his contract. While he was initially seen as the heir apparent to Andrew Bogut, the current pace of the league might make the Sonics’ front office consider other options.

Tony Snell
69 GP
8.2ppg 1.2rpg 0.5apg
.474 FG .236 3PT .919 FT

Tony Snell may have found his niche in Seattle. While he will never be a star, Snell works well in the second unit due to his work off the ball. He gets a lot of easy hoops by cutting to the rim. Snell can also defend positions 1-3 effectively, which means lesser defenders off the bench (looking at you, Jamal Crawford) can hide on lesser offensive threats. Now, if Snell can just bring up his 3PT percentage, he would be one hell of a player off the bench.

Contract status

Tony Snell will be an unrestricted free agent. With the way he plays with the second unit, the Sonics would be happy to have Snell back in 18-19 - for the right price.

Jarnell Stokes
72 GP (9 GS)
5.8ppg 6.2rpg 1apg
.627 FG .071 3PT .614 FT

Jarnell Stokes was one of the surprises of the 17-18 campaigh. With Boban Marjanovic missing the first half of the season, Stokes stepped up as the backup centre. He did well on the boards and was a fairly mobile defensive player. He went from being someone who was likely to be the first player waived, to a key member of the Sonics’ rotation.

Contract status

Jarnell Stokes is an unrestricted free agent and will be coming off a minimum contract. He has expressed interest in testing the market and could land himself a lucrative contract.

Jamal Crawford
72 GP
10.3ppg 2.4apg 0.6spg
.376 FG .235 3PT .921 FT

Jamal Crawford is possibly one of the great heat-check players of all time. The Seattle fans were initially treated to some of the best the hometown hero has to offer. However, as the numbers suggest, Crawford spent most of the season shooting even more erratically than usual. Add this to his defensive deficiencies and there’s really no reason for Crawford to be in the rotation for the playoffs.

Contract status

Jamal Crawford has a Team Option for 18-19 worth $14.5M. It would be in the Sonics’ best interests to decline this option.

Devin Harris
16 GP (8 GS)
9.6ppg 4.1apg 2.3spg
.495 FG .316 3PT .896 FT

Devin Harris made an immediate impact, as his ability to create shots was still at a high level. However, Harris also proved to be rather careless with the ball, which is not something a competitive team wants from a rotation point guard. The initial Harris hype died down after eclipsing the franchise turnover record twice, which in turn led him to go back to being what everyone expected – the team’s third string point guard.

Contract status

Devin Harris is off contract and will be an unrestricted free agent. At this point, Harris wants to re-sign, but the Sonics will probably go for a younger player to round out their point guard depth in the 18-19 season.

Luc Mbah a Moute
66 GP (21 GS)
3.6pp 2rpg 0.6spg
.367 FG .292 3PT .429 FT

Even though he played 66 games, Luc Mbah a Moute didn’t get a lot of opportunities with the Sonics. He lost most of his minutes when Andrew Bogut came back from injury, as Ime Udoka wanted to try playing Jarnell Stokes at his preferred power forward position. But the biggest test of Mbah a Moute’s value could still come in the playoffs.

Contract status

Luc Mbah a Moute is coming off contract and will be an unrestricted free agent. Him re-signing with the Sonics will be contingent on how significant he will be in the playoffs.

Brandon Rush
56 GP
5.5ppg 1.3rpg 0.5apg
.455 FG .400 3PT .788 FT

Brandon Rush found himself a spot in the rotation for a good chunk of the season, but his minutes fell off when the Sonics decided to give Tony Snell more time. Rush is still a very capable shooter and is always a threat from behind the arc when he’s on the floor.

Contract status

Brandon Rush is coming off his minimum contract and will be an unrestricted free agent. For a shooter of his calibre, he’s definitely worth another minimum contract… if he’s willing to accept it.

Michael Fusek
20 GP
1.9ppg 2.5rpg 1bpg
.667 FG .600 FT

Michael Fusek didn’t get many chances in the 18-19 campaign, but in his current state, he has most of Boban’s deficiencies. Unless there are some major injuries over the next few seasons, it’s most likely that Fusek will spend most of his time on the end of the bench or in the G League.

Contract Status

Michael Fusek still has another guaranteed season on his rookie contract.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood