Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Brave Sir Rubin on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:51 am

Lonzo already playing ROTY level ball.

Seriously though, he kinda did the right thing by sucking his first game,. This way he can pave the way of a "comeback" and "overcome early obstacles" narrative. The only way to go is up. A lot less pressure than having a great summer league debut and then having to keep up with expectations.
Brave Sir Rubin
Showerfun

Postby Jackal on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:54 am

Lonzo's passing is so effortless, I'm really digging his passes.

Lonzo might just turn out to be the player I had hoped D-Lo would be: a tricky passer who could score. D-Lo is more of a scorer that can pass though. Would've been fun to see what they could've done till around the AS break.

Oh well.

Kuzma plays with heart too, liking him as well. Mwa ba is very Pat Beverly-esque.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:21 am

Loving the ball movement from the team. They're all being very unselfish and it helps when your best player plays that way as well. lead by example. Kuzma is playing well and Nwaba plays like a perfect NBA 2K player (only goes up for dunks, no layups). I can get behind these new guys. I was a bit skeptical about these guys I knew nothing about when they had signed a few days ago, but I am excited to see how they play with Lopez, Randle & Clarkson

Also, fuck Boston.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:40 am

Jackal wrote:Anyone calling anyone a bust after one summer league game is just...yeah.

anyone calling him a bust after 1 summer league game is rooting for him to be a bust and was happy he had a bad game.

also of note, bust and all star are not the only 2 options for a players career
Sauru

Postby Sauru on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:14 pm

a triple double? fucking GOAT material right here
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Not trying to blow things out if proportion here, but I liked how Lonzo wanted the triple double. On his last shot he went full court for the slam. It felt kind of forced having a triple double at 11-11-11, but I liked it. Lonzo sucked in game 1, he powered his way in game 2 of the summer league to create something. Not having to wait 20 games later for an "ice in the veins" type of game.

I'm sure D-Lo will make something out of himself in Brooklyn. But it simply does not feel like D-Lo can be a top two player of a winning team.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:00 am

[Q] wrote:This passing is contagious. The ball would be sticking to Russell's hand at this moment

To be fair to the snitch he was asked to be more aggressive with the scoring even when Magic took over.
That is why Magic's comments about needing a distributor instead of a scorer when he traded D-Lo seemed ludicrous considering Magic gave D-Lo the permission to stick the ball in his hands.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Bruce on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:11 pm

There are reports now that Lakers are going to sign Caldwell-Pope to an $18M 1yr contract. I checked over the stats comparison on basketball reference for Clarkson, Waiters and Caldwell-Pope. Link here. Essentially, The three players put up near exact same numbers in the 2016-2017 season. So not really that exciting, but I do hope that Caldwell-Pope can have a good season.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Awesome signing, dude is already infinitely better on defense than anyone else we have on the roster. It's a one year deal so it's not eating in to cap space long term either in case they need the space for a legit all star. You hear that Paul??

Rondo might still sign with the mid level exception. I'd say this has been a solid off season so far. KCP is an ideal fit next to Ball thanks to his defense. Good get.
Jackal

Postby Bruce on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Well if Paul does decide to move to LA, I do hope he brings with him his other teammates that are California natives.

BTW, besides Rondo. I do hope the Lakers make space for Thomas Bryant. I like the guy's activity. And I think at some point LA needs to grab a third PG. It looks to me like Tyler Ennis is gone.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 am

Sauru wrote:a triple double? fucking GOAT material right here

I did actually see quite a few people suggesting that, seemingly seriously, on social media. To that, I'd say let's not forget Bo Outlaw used to tear it up in the Summer League, but at the same time, it'd be just as misguided to write off Ball, too. I can certainly understand the optimism of Lakers fans here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Andrew wrote:

I did actually see quite a few people suggesting that, seemingly seriously, on social media. To that, I'd say let's not forget Bo Outlaw used to tear it up in the Summer League, but at the same time, it'd be just as misguided to write off Ball, too. I can certainly understand the optimism of Lakers fans here.
It's been a rough 5 years for us. Let us have this. :cry:
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 pm

I understand. The Bulls missed out on Bo Outlaw, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Soooooo Ball nearly missed on a monster triple double in a great all-around game from him

I was hoping Clarkson would be a starter this year but unfortunately it looks like with KCP there, they'll make him the 6th man again. I bet after this season they'll complain that he hasn't done much in 2 seasons
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby big-shot-ROB on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Andrew wrote:

When I get too excited with players in the Summer League, my medicine is to go check old Summer League stats to see how the players performed there and how has his career in the NBA evolved from that point. Kyle Anderson (Spurs) averaging 25 points last year is a good start to calm down. :lol: :lol:
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby Kevin on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:06 pm

So Lonzo wore Kobes tonight instead of his BBB and posted monstrous numbers :whistle: :whistle:
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Lamrock on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:06 am

Lonzo is becoming my new favorite player. What have I become?
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 am

A Big Baller, I guess. :P
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Sauru wrote:Lonzo is becoming my new favorite player. What have I become?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:07 pm

[Q] wrote:

Ah, cruel. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 pm

Lonzo is a winner. I can't remember when was the last time I saw a player coming out of college with such a high IQ. It is amazing how the whole game pace is adapted to his playstyle. Fultz will be a nice stat-boy, Tatum a nice scorer and DSJ a big time athlete. Fox, Ball and Jackson are the ones who really catch my eye because when you see them play, they've that grip required to be successful in the post-season.

I think his shot will come back, Summer League has to much of a playground playstyle. Walton is a great hc and will see Ball's shot is way more effective coming off screens or in kickouts. JC, Ingram and Nance are all decent ball handlers and passers, especially Nance (who I am a big fan of). With Walton's background, I could really see how he could implement some floppy sets and loops for Ingram and Ball where Nance is the ball-handler at the top of the arc.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby Sauru on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:15 pm

[Q] wrote:

shit who leaked it?
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:53 am

Laker basketball has some excitement to it again. All aboard the Ingram/Ball train! Hop on everyone! :dance:

Edit: Also Kuzma has been balling during summer league! Hope that translates to the regular season as well. Makes the D-Lo trade sting less. Another solid pick late in the draft.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:13 am

Another impressive outing by Zo. Better trip double than his first one.

His shooting efficiency isn't there yet. It'll come with time I guess. He needs it as it was his strongest point of his game along with passing ability in college days.

Speaking of stellar rookie PG showings, how about Donovan Mitchell. Do you guys think his game will translate well into regular season? I think Lonzo will do just fine.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Q] on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Well, he's showing that he can hit the shot. But with the regulars, he won't need to be putting up that many shots and he'll be shooting a lot less low-percentage shots
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball