Vince Carter signs with Sacramento

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Vince Carter signs with Sacramento

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:25 am

Veteran Vince Carter agrees to join Kings on one-year deal

Free agent Vince Carter has agreed to a one-year, $8 million deal with the Sacramento Kings, his agents tell ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Carter, 40, is the NBA's oldest active player and joins Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki as the only two players from the 1998 draft class still in the league. After struggling with nagging ankle injuries the previous two seasons, Carter played a key role for the Grizzlies in 2016-17, averaging 8.0 points and 3.1 rebounds in 24.6 minutes per game.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Vince Carter signs with Sacramento

Postby Jackal on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Good on him for not joining the Warriors. The buzz was he was looking to do that so glad that didn't happen.

I read a comment the other day that sort of gives me another look on what the F the Kings are trying to accomplish.

Basically they signed Hill, Z-Bo & VC to be exemplary role-models to their younger guys. They've got a role model for their bigs, wings & guards with these three signings. All three are (now) known for their high character so maybe this is step one in a culture change in Sacramento.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:30 pm

With that in mind, those are some sensible moves by the Kings. They can also still contribute on the court, so they can lead and teach by example, as well as be good role models. Fair enough.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:15 am

But were all 3 necessary? A rebuilding team gave up their cap flexibility for...veteran mentoring?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:34 am

Does it kill their cap long term that much though? Z-Bo is on a two year deal, Hill on 3 and VC is just for a year. They weren't signing any big names this off season or next I think.

I think the deals they gave out aren't half bad. They will probably try to develop Fox to run the point in the future and having Hill for a three year period isn't too bad in that regard. Most young guys don't amount to much in their first couple of years anyways. I think Hill is the only one that looks odd given the length, but he can play off ball too so I think that might turn out all right as well.

Vince comes off the books after this year. Randolph for two years isn't too shabby with his play style either. So all in all you've got three vets for 1-3 years and that pretty much coincides with how long it usually takes your young guys to take steps in the right direction.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:05 am

Jackal wrote:Does it kill their cap long term that much though? Z-Bo is on a two year deal, Hill on 3 and VC is just for a year. They weren't signing any big names this off season or next I think.

I think the deals they gave out aren't half bad. They will probably try to develop Fox to run the point in the future and having Hill for a three year period isn't too bad in that regard. Most young guys don't amount to much in their first couple of years anyways. I think Hill is the only one that looks odd given the length, but he can play off ball too so I think that might turn out all right as well.

Vince comes off the books after this year. Randolph for two years isn't too shabby with his play style either. So all in all you've got three vets for 1-3 years and that pretty much coincides with how long it usually takes your young guys to take steps in the right direction.

Yes and no. Yes I agree I don't think anyone's signing there

For their situation it would be wiser to be in a position to collect 1st rounds picks via taking on salary dumps (moz & russell deal I.E.).

Sacto is loaded at SG. Hill can play SG but that jus takes away mins from their young sg's. And Why not spend $ on a sf that would actually help (with some upside) like j Simmons? Carter could have been signed to vet minimum anyway
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:23 am

air gordon wrote:For their situation it would be wiser to be in a position to collect 1st rounds picks via taking on salary dumps (moz & russell deal I.E.).

Sacto is loaded at SG. Hill can play SG but that jus takes away mins from their young sg's. And Why not spend $ on a sf that would actually help (with some upside) like j Simmons? Carter could have been signed to vet minimum anyway

Who are their young SG's? Hield plays the 2 and you've got Bogdanovic who can play the three as well, I think.

Their depth chart doesn't look overly tipped one way or the other.

G Hill - Fox - Temple
G Hield - Bogdanovic - Richardson
F Jackson - Carter
F Randolph - Giles - Labissiere
C Cauley-Stein - Koufos - Papagiannis

Unless I'm missing some guys I think that's who they have signed right now. Collison signed with the Pacers I think, Evans hasn't been resigned yet and Mclemore signed with Memphis.

I agree Simmons would've been a good get, that's pretty much the case for any team that gets him though.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:41 am

Yeah what you said. All 3 sacto have invested considerable resources to acquire

To split hairs they are not loaded per say at sg but it is crowded. They could try to slide one of them to sf but they can't defend sf

And they do not have a Sf that can defend. Maybe one year Jackson but not yet
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Brave Sir Rubin on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 am

I fucking love Vince Carter and the fact that he's still in the league is one of the few bright spots in the NBA lately.

Each 40yo VC dunk gets me through 2 weeks of weak ass superteam small-ball basketball.
Brave Sir Rubin
Showerfun

Postby [Q] on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:26 am

Vivek will eventually meddle in the basketball operations and find a way to mess it up. I'm tihnking Z-Bo won't make it to the end of his contract and also one of the young guys will be traded
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA & Basketball