Grizzlies will retire Zach Randolph's #50

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Grizzlies will retire Zach Randolph's #50

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:11 am

Grizzlies announce they're retiring Zach Randolph's No. 50

Even though the Grizzlies supposedly didn't match the Kings' offer, the respect the team has for Randolph obviously is great enough for the organization to retire his number.

"Thank you for all the joy and magical moments too numerous to count," the letter read, which was signed by general manager Chris Wallace and president of business operations Jason Wexler.

"Thank you for the energy and excitement you brought each and every night to FedExForum. Thank you for your leadership and service. Thank you for your larger than life impact and for keeping all Memphians warm. Thank you.

"While there will be a time and place to recognize your lasting impact in Memphis, starting today, as stated earlier by Controlling Owner, Robert Pera, (No.) 50 will never be worn by any other member of the Memphis Grizzlies."

He's obviously not quite done yet, but I'd say he's earned that honour when the time comes. He ranks up there among the team's all-time leaders, and he was a significant part of their most successful seasons to date. It's funny to think that he was once considered a team cancer; a fine talent, but just too much trouble to trust as a star player. He's still had some boneheaded moments over the years, but he grew up and became a cornerstone player, a capable and respected veteran. After all the criticism he endured early on his career, he deserves credit for that. Other players in the same situation often end up undermining themselves and sabotaging their careers.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Grizzlies will retire Zach Randolph's #50

Postby Valor on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:26 am

Obviously well deserved due to what he's done for that franchise and the way his style set the tone for them, but I reckon it's way too soon cause the first jersey retired in Memphis should be Pau Gasol - dude put the franchise on the map and carried them for years, and even kinda granted them a second star in his brother when he left via trade.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:30 am

Yeah, they should definitely retire Gasol's #16. I assume they will at some point, but I suppose Randolph came to mean more to the team, being a key part of their most successful era (with a slightly longer tenure than Gasol). I'm under the impression they won't officially retire #50 just yet - at least in terms of having a ceremony and hanging the banner - but it's officially off-limits until that time comes, since Randolph is still an active player.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Totally deserved. Dude was labelled a fucking nut job before heading to Memphis. Good ol' Jailblazers. Totally "fixed" his image in Memphis.

Not to derail the thread making it about Gasol since this is Randolph's moment but this has to be one of my favorite Grizzly Gasol moves ever. I remember watching this on the island on ESPN Latin America thinking why is this Spanish speaking dude commentating ruining the game of basketball but years later...that brrrrrr just makes this video even better. :lol:

phpBB [video]
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm

It does kind of make the highlight. :lol:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Fitting that KG played matador defense against a Spaniard in that video.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Return to NBA & Basketball