I can't believe they are asking for pre-orders for 18 already

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

I can't believe they are asking for pre-orders for 18 already

Postby StyxTx on Wed May 10, 2017 6:18 am

So, I get an e-mail talking a little about the new version (I might add the selling points they were using are of things I have no interest in to begin with) with a way to pre-order.

Well, I, for one, am not doing it. I stopped playing this year's version months ago because I got fed up with all the updates and patches that were making the game worse and worse.

Every year they advertise all these changes only to get rid of the new changes with every patch/update they come out with after release making the game the same as the previous version.

Every year, server issues are a big problem, but people continue to buy it thinking it will be better, but it isn't.

No, this year I will wait a for a few months after release and read the forums and other places, written by people who actually play the game, about how the game is doing, then I'll make a decision. Even then, if I decide to buy, I will wait for some sale or something because I don't trust 2k anymore. If it never goes on sale, I won't be buying, regardless of what people say about it. This year, 2k will have to show me why I should give them my money. I'm not jumping in based on trust since, honestly, after the past few years, they have lost whatever trust I had in them.

What's the saying? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me?

I will NOT be reading reviews by so-called "professional" reviewers who basically just write whatever talking points the game companies want emphasized based on how they all say the same things, almost word for word.
Last edited by StyxTx on Thu May 11, 2017 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K17 by Andrew on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:46 am.
StyxTx

Re: I can't believe they are asking for pre-orders for 18 already

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 10:23 am

It was even earlier last year, and a long time before we got any real information about the game. That led to some rather terrible PR decisions by the 2K reps on social media.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Thu May 11, 2017 1:48 am

Last year was an absolute joke, Ronnie2K was straight up talking shit to fans on twitter, saying they'll get news when they get it, when it was like a month to release and they were asking for $100 for a game no one had even seen or knew anything about yet. It was the craziest and most unprofessional thing I've ever seen. I hope they start releasing info properly this year, because what they were doing last year was diabolical.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby BronBron06 on Thu May 11, 2017 2:16 am

As long as Live stays dead, 2K can do whatever the hell they want since people have no alternative.
BronBron06

Postby StyxTx on Thu May 11, 2017 3:01 am

BronBron06 wrote:As long as Live stays dead, 2K can do whatever the hell they want since people have no alternative.

The alternative is not to play 2k. I have plenty of other games to keep me occupied. I don't live and breathe basketball. :)
StyxTx

Postby PeacemanNOT on Thu May 11, 2017 7:32 am

StyxTx wrote:
BronBron06 wrote:As long as Live stays dead, 2K can do whatever the hell they want since people have no alternative.

The alternative is not to play 2k. I have plenty of other games to keep me occupied. I don't live and breathe basketball. :)

He means the alternative to a basketball game.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby StyxTx on Thu May 11, 2017 11:39 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:
StyxTx wrote:

He means the alternative to a basketball game.

So do I. For me, the basketball game comes about 5th of all the games I have. ANY game to me is an alternative.

But to be honest, there is no game I will pre-order with absolutely no information on the game.

Who or what is on the cover? For a downloaded game? That is supposed to awe me? Even if I was going to buy it in a store, the cover image sure won't get me to go get it. That has nothing to do with the gameplay.

But 2k is particularly dishonest. Sure, they release with the promised improvements, but after about 2 or 3 patches, the game is back to where it was in the previous year's version, with all the new stuff gone, and I don't think continuing to pay $60 for the same game over and over is a particularly good idea.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Thu May 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm guessing PeacemanNOT meant to say an alternative basketball game. Obviously there are plenty of alternatives across all the genres, but if basketball gaming is a higher priority for someone, then the lack of a viable alternative is going to be a more frustrating issue.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Fri May 12, 2017 2:52 am

Andrew wrote:I'm guessing PeacemanNOT meant to say an alternative basketball game. Obviously there are plenty of alternatives across all the genres, but if basketball gaming is a higher priority for someone, then the lack of a viable alternative is going to be a more frustrating issue.

Yes, I know what he meant. But to me, basketball isn't something I live for. IRL, it falls 4th among the major sports I follow. Baseball, football and hockey come above it. But to me, it's just a game. Any game is an alternative to other games.

Admittedly, I get bored playing the same game all the time. I like to switch up. I think Fallout 4 is the only game I can play for extended periods. Before I took a break from it I played it for 5 weeks straight. lol

Any sports game, when I play them, it's 1 game/day. That's all I can handle. :roll:
StyxTx

Postby [Q] on Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 am

StyxTx wrote:

Sure, but what about the people that do live and breathe basketball?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 am

[Q] wrote:
StyxTx wrote:

Like me....
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 12, 2017 9:47 am

[Q] wrote:
StyxTx wrote:

Exactly. Or at least are more passionate about the sport and video games based on it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:08 am

Even without EA, we've got alternative : do not buy or/and do not play.

We can also stay on older versions. 2K12 and 2K13 were downgrade for me, so i stayed on 2K11 'till 2K14.

So at this point, I think i'll not buy the next game but I'll probably "try it".
It's not about money, you can check my steam list, i've got all 2K since 2K13, box versions of older ones, and so many other games.
I'm an old player, bored of piracy but as i wrote it here many times, i buy an entire game, not a free to play.

I can accept that the game is not perfect but the main problem with 2K is that each year for few new big things, few others good features are removed, many bugs or failures are still there, and new annoying things are added. And since 2 years, it's even worse because with the patches, 2K has destroy 2K16 and 2k17 !

The other problem is/was the commercial speeches. Think and read again the previous years announcements : "the spurs basketball acadademy, the jordan rules, 3D scans body"... So many lies for a 50€/$ update. For 2K18, it's even more fun, this time, 2K ask to pre-order announcing simply NOTHING NEW at this point.

But be sure that, as in previous years, before and after the release, 2K will have dithyrambic previews and reviews on big websites and on YouTube.

I really hope that 2K18 will be a huge step. In this case i'll be happy and buy the game.
But i'm pretty sure that it will have the same gap .
sticky-fingers

Postby buzzy on Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:42 am

Just practice some self restraint and wait until the game is released and you have information on it to decide whether or not it's worth the price of admission for you.

Yes it's a little rich to offer pre-ordering without giving any details of the game but why would you even care? It's not like there's a difference between pre-ordering 4 months in advance or 4 hours in advance - if you really want whatever crappy bonus you get with it.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:48 am

At least they're not holding back any content like the Dream Team this year. That kind of stuff shouldn't be pre-order exclusive or DLC, as it doesn't show a lot of goodwill (especially when pre-orders go up long before information and previews).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18