NBA 2K18 - eLeague and what it means for the online experience

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

NBA 2K18 - eLeague and what it means for the online experience

Postby JWL3 on Wed May 10, 2017 5:57 am

https://mic.com/articles/168273/nba-2k- ... .nkHiKXynB

So it appears that 2k and the NBA are planning to take the online experience to another level in 2K18. Does anyone know what this will mean for the online experience? More specifically, will players across all platforms compete in the same eLeague and is this a paid subscription? And most importantly, does this mean that 2k will FINALLY CRACK DOWN ON SCUM HACKERS AND CHEATERS ON THE PC PLATFORM???!!!!!! I'd love for them to televise a game where normal sized guys fight a team of 10ft tall Centers raining bank shot 3's from half court.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K17 by Andrew on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:46 am.
JWL3

Re: NBA 2K18 - eLeague and what it means for the online experience

Postby JWL3 on Wed May 10, 2017 6:04 am

Upon reading this a second time and researching further, it sounds like this is going to be limited severely to 30 teams of 5 players each.

That's pathetic. I don't give a rat's as about watching fat gamers with too much time on their hands to play a virtual game online. I care about a different online experience. 2k16 was a huge step forward with MyPark. I was hoping 2K18 would be another step forward with online paid monthly subscriptions like World of Warcraft. I'd happily pay for the privilege of playing with non hackers.
JWL3

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 am

JWL3, I think you are getting a little over emotional here.

"I don't give a rat's ass about watching fat gamers with too much time on their hands to play a virtual game online"

Fat gamers with too much time on their hands? We play the games because we have time on our hands, I'm as competitive as anybody, but at the end of the day I am playing the game with my free time... that's what we do.. and weight has absolutely nothing to do with that.

In regards to the eLeague, I keep my eye on it... because I consider myself a pretty good player, but I know that my life situation wouldn't allow me to compete or even attempt to get in (I work 40 hours a week), and it sounds like they only take people known from the online community (I am not, clearly, because I don't play online). In regards to hackers, well.... welcome back... you were away for awhile after deleting the game, was wondering if you were going to pick up 2k again.

I'm not the NLSC police, nor am I even a Team Member, but lets try to see what we can do as far as presenting feedback a little differently. You can tell me to screw off if you want, because I could be out of line here.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 10:40 am

If they're going to make a real go of the eSports league, then they're going to have to iron out various online issues without a doubt. In theory, that might mean issues with both gameplay (balance, exploits, other annoyances) and connectivity (i.e. server stability) will be addressed. Of course, I'm assuming they'll have dedicated servers for the league, so that might leave everyone else out in the cold. Unless there's cross-platform competition, a la Rocket League, I'm guessing PC will be left out, so probably no benefits there.

With eSports being a big focus moving forward, I'm actually more concerned about the offline gameplay, and whether the optimisations/changes made for online play and the eSports league will end up having a negative impact on other modes. For that matter, they could negatively impact the online experience for people who aren't competing in the eSports league. After all, not all of the changes they've made to NBA 2K17 in the name of enhancing the online experience have actually made 2K Pro-Am better, in my experience.

All speculation at this point, I suppose.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JWL3 on Thu May 11, 2017 2:08 am

Dee4Three wrote:JWL3, I think you are getting a little over emotional here.

"I don't give a rat's ass about watching fat gamers with too much time on their hands to play a virtual game online"

Fat gamers with too much time on their hands? We play the games because we have time on our hands, I'm as competitive as anybody, but at the end of the day I am playing the game with my free time... that's what we do.. and weight has absolutely nothing to do with that.

In regards to the eLeague, I keep my eye on it... because I consider myself a pretty good player, but I know that my life situation wouldn't allow me to compete or even attempt to get in (I work 40 hours a week), and it sounds like they only take people known from the online community (I am not, clearly, because I don't play online). In regards to hackers, well.... welcome back... you were away for awhile after deleting the game, was wondering if you were going to pick up 2k again.

I'm not the NLSC police, nor am I even a Team Member, but lets try to see what we can do as far as presenting feedback a little differently. You can tell me to screw off if you want, because I could be out of line here.

No pal, I wasn't referring to casual gamers like 99% of the players here. I was referring to the professional dudes who joins these eLeagues and have to devote countless hours training and practicing to compete. At that point, it ceases to be fun and becomes a job. And yeah, I'm probably out of line calling them fat - I just have visions of the South Park online gamers (from the World of Warcraft episode) when I think of professional gamers. Personally, I'd be bored out of my mind watching them play for longer than 20 minutes. So I don't know how eLeague is ever going to be a successful spectator sport. I guess I was mad because I thought this eLeague thing was going to apply to US, the average gamer. To the 2k gamers who play regularly online - to improve our experience. If it's nothing other than some small league of pro players, that does nothing for me and that's why I'm pissed.
JWL3

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 11, 2017 2:58 am

I wouldn't enjoy watching them, either. I am on the same page with you in that regard.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Thu May 11, 2017 3:35 am

Out of curiosity, have either of you watched any of the 2KTV coverage or the full game stream or TV broadcasts from RTTF or AST?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 11, 2017 3:38 am

JaoSming wrote:Out of curiosity, have either of you watched any of the 2KTV coverage or the full game stream or TV broadcasts from RTTF or AST?

Honestly, I have not.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 11, 2017 3:56 am

And let me clarify.

I wouldn't watch a whole game, because I would rather be playing. I would watch highlights of games.. kind of like how I post highlights of my games on NBA 2K17. My videos are usually between 3 and 6 minutes, and it shows the progress of the game as well as highlights. So I WOULD watch highlights more than likely.

I just cant see myself sitting down and watching a full game of two people going at it on 2K.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby CatScooter on Thu May 11, 2017 4:24 am

This is isolated to 30 teams of 5 players? Lol. What is the real NBA for? Honestly, I think it's kind of ridiculous and it's a shame this doesn't include the majority of online players. Now everyone can scrub it up in Pro-am and dream about playing eleague. Lol.

I would have thought that fools gold like this would have been bait for NBA live. My personal Interest in this is about a big ol flagrant zero. My least favorite thing about 2k during the 17 season was patching the game for the folks who play online. It just hurt the game offline and that's just incredibly sad. Made the devs time and work kind of go out the window for offline folks. If gameplay isn't tightened up out of the box then sadly I kind of don't really want it to pick up any kind of steam. I hate to think that devs would be wasting any of their time implementing and trying to make it a success. Honestly if it doesn't work out It could force them to spend that development cycle on details in gameplay rather than a bogus novelty league of 150 stick warriors.

I've loved 2k since 2k2 but back then the hustle was real! They need to get it together at some capacity as far as how they are giving attention to things. Lots of things done well so it's not like there isn't anything happening here. Actually it's completely opposite! I have the faith but I feel a bit like 2k is misplacing their focus on nonsense. The plus side to this which is really important is that this will end up creating content for 2kTV through out the season! Whew! Thank god for that. (I'm being sarcastic.)

I'm getting 2k18 so that I can play some swanky defense. Just gameplay. Just give me something that is fully capable of strong basketball moments. Please. Thanks. Lol.
Last edited by CatScooter on Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatScooter

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 11, 2017 4:27 am

CatScooter wrote:Just give me something that is fully capable of strong basketball moments.

This.

Well said.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Thu May 11, 2017 5:18 am

I'm confused. What servers will they be using for this cuz if they're going to be using the servers that players have been using the past few years, with all the complaints about that, how will this work out? Makes no sense to get into something where there have been serious issues for years.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Thu May 11, 2017 11:58 am

Dee4Three wrote:And let me clarify.

I wouldn't watch a whole game, because I would rather be playing. I would watch highlights of games.. kind of like how I post highlights of my games on NBA 2K17. My videos are usually between 3 and 6 minutes, and it shows the progress of the game as well as highlights. So I WOULD watch highlights more than likely.

I just cant see myself sitting down and watching a full game of two people going at it on 2K.

That's pretty much how I feel as well.

I have nothing against eSports as a concept. If you can make that your living as a professional gamer, streamer, YouTuber, or whatever, more power to you. There's an audience for a wide range of content, and if you can make that your passion and profession, then that's great! I'm not one to tell people what they like is wrong, or play the tired and overused "get a real job" card. Good for them, and as for their audience, by all means enjoy it and don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't.

When it comes down to the content that I'm interested in and I consume, I'd generally prefer highlights to full games as well. Beyond that, I'd also rather be playing than watch others play.

StyxTx wrote:I'm confused. What servers will they be using for this cuz if they're going to be using the servers that players have been using the past few years, with all the complaints about that, how will this work out? Makes no sense to get into something where there have been serious issues for years.

I'm guessing there'll be dedicated servers.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18