LaVar Ball reckons he'd destroy MJ one-on-one

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: LaVar Ball reckons he'd destroy MJ one-on-one

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 pm

video of Lavar playing basketball has surfaced, and it's not good :lol:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 pm

phpBB [video]

I doubt he could even beat the guy wearing the Michael Jordan Wizards jersey one-on-one.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:00 am

Andrew wrote:
phpBB [video]

I doubt he could even beat the guy wearing the Michael Jordan Wizards jersey one-on-one.

Well, turns out he was one hell of an athlete. After his freshman year at Washington State, he transferred out to another college (Not sure which Division), and averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds per game. He also signed with the New York Jets in 1994 as a free agent. But I don't think he ever made the squad.

I wouldn't get carried away and say that he sucks, his claim that he could beat Jordan one on one is obviously insane though. Also, in this video, he is clearly quite a bit older, that looks like a mens league, that video is not from the 90's lol.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000795327/article/lavar-ball-couldnt-land-roster-spot-on-kotites-jets

I'm not exactly standing up for him, he's a loud mouth/cocky tool. But, let's not get carried away and say he stinks. You have to be one hell of an athlete to be looked at by NFL teams seriously (He got looked at by 2).
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:01 am

I realise the video is more recent and he's not in his physical prime there. It was just a convenient jab, given that one of his opponents was wearing a Jordan jersey. ;)

Sounds like he was pretty athletic for his size, but not particularly skilled; certainly not pro-level skilled, be it in basketball or football. Also, if this is the West Los Angeles College he transferred to, it's a community college in the Western State Conference. Not exactly Division I and the Pac-12, like his son.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 am

Andrew wrote:I realise the video is more recent and he's not in his physical prime there. It was just a convenient jab, given that one of his opponents was wearing a Jordan jersey. ;)

Sounds like he was pretty athletic for his size, but not particularly skilled; certainly not pro-level skilled, be it in basketball or football. Also, if this is the West Los Angeles College he transferred to, it's a community college in the Western State Conference. Not exactly Division I and the Pac-12, like his son.

True. I wish he was more grounded, because he has some things to be proud about athletically in his life. I mean, how many people do you know that had the opportunities he had? (Division 1 basketball, chance at the NFL) etc.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:15 am

It makes a lot of sense, though. He got further than a lot of people do in terms of athletic pursuits, but still ended up well short of what he probably dreamed of. Sure, he starred for a community college playing against weaker competition, and he got a couple of tryouts with the NFL, but I'm sure he set the bar higher for himself. It's more than a lot of people accomplish, but it pales in comparison to the all-time NCAA, NBA, and NFL greats. And so, he lives vicariously through his sons, while making excuses and bold and bizarre hypothetical claims.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:23 am

Andrew wrote:It makes a lot of sense, though. He got further than a lot of people do in terms of athletic pursuits, but still ended up well short of what he probably dreamed of. Sure, he starred for a community college playing against weaker competition, and he got a couple of tryouts with the NFL, but I'm sure he set the bar higher for himself. It's more than a lot of people accomplish, but it pales in comparison to the all-time NCAA, NBA, and NFL greats. And so, he lives vicariously through his sons, while making excuses and bold and bizarre hypothetical claims.

Totally agree, I think he certainly looks to gain recognition through his sons. And, that is sad.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:30 am

LeBust James had 0.000 points in college. LaVar had 2.200 points in college. Nothing more to say.

Andrew wrote:I doubt he could even beat the guy wearing the Michael Jordan Wizards jersey one-on-one.

Special emphasis on the fact that it was a Jordan Wizards jersey
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:37 am

LaVar would've made the jump from elementary school to the pros, if he could.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:39 am

Seems Lavar Ball has kind of turned into the new Chuck Norris of sports.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:42 am

Fictional LaVar quotes are quickly overtaking "3-1" memes. Except where the two are combined, of course.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 am

Dee4Three wrote:Seems Lavar Ball has kind of turned into the new Chuck Norris of sports.

Exactly. And in a couple of months they'll get old, just like the Chuck Norris jokes did (at least for me)
Last edited by I Hate Mondays on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 am

Oh, of course. It doesn't take long for jokes to be run into the ground online.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:18 pm

LaVar Ball: ‘Slow white guys’ kept UCLA from winning title, Lonzo played hurt in loss

“Realistically you can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow,” Ball said. “I told Lonzo - ‘One of these games you might need to go for 30 or 40 points.' It turned out the that was the one game. Then once they get to the Elite 8, they’re right there.”

“People thought he was giving up, but he popped his hamstring,” LaVar Ball said of Lonzo in the game. “He said ‘I was trying to run, but my hamstring was pulled.’ But he’s never going to make excuses.”

Of course he doesn't have to make excuses; Daddy will make them for him. Look, scouts can say that Lonzo's stock won't be hurt by all this nonsense and teams don't care, and I suppose talent does trump character a lot of the time. However, if LaVar is still bleating about stuff like this when Lonzo is in the NBA, ripping on his teammates, the coach, and whoever else, there are going to be problems. If nothing else, if Lonzo finds himself as the NBA player whose father is basically doing the equivalent of yelling at the Little League coach to play his son more and that everyone else's kids are bums, none of his peers are going to have any respect for him. If he's not living up to the hype and his team is losing on top of that, fans and the media alike are not going to have any mercy, and rightfully so.

As for the "white players" comment, there's obviously a lot of talk about it being racist, and whether it would fly if the situation was reversed. I guess it is technically, though as a pasty white man of English and Irish descent, I can't pretend I'm particularly offended or anything; I just think it's asinine. If nothing else, it's an assertion that has been proven incorrect by various college and NBA teams over the years, and is obviously disrespectful to the other kids at UCLA who have worked and competed just as hard as his son did. On top of that, it's rather pathetically grabbing the spotlight back from the teams who did get further than UCLA, including of course the ultimate winners, North Carolina. Can't let anyone else have their moment, or attention for actually achieving something, I guess.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:19 pm

"my boy can win with anyone. you give him any 4 players and he is going to come out with a W, except white people of course. fuck those guys"
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:17 pm

See, that's bringing logic and consistency into the equation, and braggarts don't deal in that.

Meanwhile, Michael Rapaport responds.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:50 pm

phpBB [video]
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Phil89 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm

http://www.espn.com.au/mens-college-bas ... lonzo-ball
An endorsement deal with Nike, Under Armour or Adidas is not in the cards for Lonzo Ball.

Ball's father, LaVar, confirmed that the three shoe and apparel companies informed him they were not interested in completing a deal with his son. Sources with the three companies told ESPN.com that they indeed were moving on.

Never in the history of modern-day shoe endorsements have the big companies all stepped away from a potential top pick nearly two months before the NBA draft. But LaVar, who has been representing Lonzo in the deal, has offered something that has no precedent.

In his meetings with all three companies, LaVar insisted that they license his upstart Big Baller Brand from him, according to the companies. He also showed the companies a shoe prototype that he hoped would be Lonzo's first shoe.

"We've said from the beginning, we aren't looking for an endorsement deal," LaVar told ESPN. "We're looking for co-branding, a true partner. But they're not ready for that because they're not used to that model. But hey, the taxi industry wasn't ready for Uber, either."

Last week, Nike consultant George Raveling, at SportsBusiness Journal's World Congress of Sports, called LaVar "the worst thing to happen to basketball in the last hundred years."

:lol:
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:34 am

LaVar can spin it anyway he likes, but he messed up. He has no leverage here, no reason to be taken seriously. I can't say I feel sorry for him. Pride comes before a fall.

Michael Wilbon said it best on PTI. At some point, Lonzo has to respectfully, but firmly, tell his father to back off, and listen to people with actual marketing sense (and a proven track record of...well, anything, really). It won't be easy, but it'll be the smartest career move he's ever made. LaVar might be able to get away with his antics in AAU basketball, and he's even been able to get away with it in college. But it's not going to fly in the NBA; not without alienating Lonzo's coaches, management, and teammates. The overzealous Little League parent approach is not going to make Lonzo popular or respected, and like I said, if his play doesn't translate to the pro level...well, let's see how he deals with the fallout. LaVar's egotistical approach doesn't seem to be preparing him for setbacks and failure, something we all have to deal with and bounce back from at some point.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby volsey on Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 pm

At first I thought it was a shame, but honestly it's probably for the better that it happened so quickly. Something like this could be the wake up call needed for either his father to back off, or for someone with some common sense to advice Lonzo to ask him to step away from the professional side of his career.

I genuinely can't imagine having to negotiate with the man; and in a business with plenty of competition, you kind of have to take every opportunity that you're granted. Pushing these guys off straight off the bat doesn't bode well for his future endorsement deals.
volsey

Postby Andrew on Wed May 03, 2017 7:24 pm

I don't think LaVar is ever going to get it, sadly.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu May 04, 2017 1:46 am

Yeah hopefully this is a wakeup call that Lonzo needs. Hopefully he'll realize he's an adult now and distance himself at least professionally from his father.

The question was posed: Who will sign him? I guess Li Ning hasn't said no yet :lol:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 04, 2017 10:05 am

Didn't you hear? It's just going to Big Baller Brand. It's going to overtake all other brands in sales and put them out of business. They'll be begging to sign Lonzo once he's averaging 60, 20, 15, 10, and 10, as his team goes undefeated and LaVar runs the NBA, just as he said he would.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Sun May 07, 2017 1:40 pm

You think Lavar Ball is crazy but this is exactly how Donald Trump acts and he won the presidency. Both are good con men is what I'm saying.
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Sun May 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Oh, I don't disagree. There's a method to the madness, no doubt. I still find it repugnant in both cases, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball