Shaq vs McGee

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Shaq vs McGee

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:49 am

Warriors sought intervention in Shaq-JaVale McGee feud

The Golden State Warriors have reached out to Turner Sports to discuss Shaquille O'Neal's ongoing coverage of center JaVale McGee, league sources told ESPN.

Sources told ESPN that the Warriors contacted Turner officials to express concern about TNT's yearslong McGee coverage on the "Shaqtin' a Fool" segment on the popular "Inside The NBA" show, with the team contending that the ongoing negative portrayal of the veteran center is doing unnecessary damage to McGee's reputation.

A Turner source confirmed the discussions with the Warriors and told ESPN that "the matter has been discussed internally" after a Twitter feud erupted Thursday night between O'Neal and McGee.

Just when you think Shaq can't get any worse as an analyst. I'm no fan of the Warriors or JaVale McGee, but it's disgustingly childish and unprofessional, and not nearly as clever or witty as he thinks he's being. Still, judging by the responses to his Tweets, it seems a lot of people think it's comedy gold, which makes the situation even sadder. Shaq's a bully who isn't as funny as he and his sycophantic fans think he is, and he's long past overdue to grow up. Turner needs to grow a spine, and stand up to him.

The funny thing is that it was only a few weeks ago that he was chiding Charles Barkley for "making it personal" with LeBron James. Right now, he's making it even more personal with McGee. Look, we can get on our high horse and criticise the younger generation for being soft and too worried about what people are saying, and maybe we'll have a point. But Shaq is definitely being a brat here, and a hypocrite to boot. There's no dignity in what he's doing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Shaq vs McGee

Postby Sauru on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:37 am

have you been reading the tweets back and forth? its amazing how childish shaq actually is. all i hope from this is shaq says something stupid and gets fired so the show can start to pick back up again
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:44 am

I haven't seen them all, but I've seen enough to know that if I keep reading them, I'm at a risk of damaging my optic nerves from all the eye-rolling. I agree; the childishness is just astonishing, and kind of sad, really.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Oh jeez. Those tweets were ugly on both sides. This will leave a bad spot on Shaqtin' a Fool. Personally, I think I'll get sick whenever I'll watch Shaqtin'.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:19 pm

It seems to have gone past being some well-meaning fun and into mean-spirited territory, at least when it comes to McGee.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 am

i think the problem with the segment is shaq himself. he uses it to insult players. its a laughing at not laughing with situation.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:05 am

Agreed. The fact that he's notoriously thin-skinned himself makes it rather hypocritical. Shaq's in a safe position: he gets to make fun of people, especially players he has some kind of beef with, on national television where they can't immediately rebut anything he says or defend themselves in any way. When they do respond, he holds his accomplishments over their heads (as if that automatically justifies everything he says), or plays the "it's just a joke, you just can't take a joke" card. He plays the clown, the former superstar and larger-than-life personality who's "just goofing around", but that masks how petty, vindictive, and mean-spirited he can be.

It's nothing new, but he's over 40, and in broadcasting now. It's well past time for him to grow up.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:54 am

its the same thing he has been doing to barkley. get into an argument then just say "the rings" instead of coming up with any logical point. this is exactly why i want kobe to come on the show and when shaq says something he can just reply with "like i would listen to someone with only 4 rings". i think shaq would legit die on stage right then and there.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 am

Absolutely. And again, there's more hypocrisy there as he scolded Barkley for making it personal with LeBron (when he really didn't), only to certainly make it personal with McGee.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:41 am

Wouldn't this be a good time for NBPA to step in and stand behind JaVale?

I mean Iguodala and Curry are VPs and Draymond is Warriors' player rep... Pretty sure Chris Paul and LeBron aren't on Shaq's side either.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 am

Good point. It seems Shaq's mother has put an end to the feud, though.

“I have orders from the top to leave it alone,” O’Neal said past midnight on Saturday.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver?

“No,” O’Neal said. “My mama. Just say Shaq’s mom called him, told him, ‘Stop this silliness. Leave him alone.’ So that’s the end of the beef. You won’t be hearing about it from my side anymore. Mama has spoken.”

Meanwhile, McGee's mother's comments seem to be drawing a lot of scorn - including cries of "snowflake", since that term is so popular these days - and the wording probably has something to do with it. She has a point, though. Players get fined $25,000 for expressing the sentiment that the referees did a bad job, even if it's later determined they did do a bad job. I don't know about this being grounds to fire Shaq (even if I do think he's the weak link on the show), but some kind of reprimand from TNT would be appropriate.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:38 am

Well, that's it then, you know you fucked up when your mom calls you.

Still, some kind of repercussion should be in order, because his actions do make TNT look bad.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Lmfao, just noticed that on Monday, during the TNT "Players Only" special, because of all the bad reputation Shaqtin has got these few last days, they gave positive awards for outstanding performances...like 3 of them. Davis had one, Webber had one, Isiah Thomas had one. Bosh should've had one.
I Hate Mondays

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:18 am

Sorry for the double post, but last night Shaq just stated that Shaqtin is one of the best pieces of comedy found on TV. So yeah, who's in for starting a hate thread? :lol:
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:56 am

It has its moments, sure, but he's way overselling it there. Kind of something for the audience to decide, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Anybody else thinks that the "Shaq did it first" episode was a bit like Shaq being forced to "apologize"?
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 pm

phpBB [video]

It seems like they were trying to portray it as self-deprecating and "Shaq can take it as well as dish it out", but something about it seemed...I don't know, a bit petty and passive-aggressive? Like, they promised never to mention McGee again, but they've found a way to still take shots at him for supposedly being too sensitive. See, they're totally not talking about him, wink-wink! It's kind of like schoolyard bullies getting into trouble, and then finding a more covert way to bully their victims in order to "punish" them because they dared to get the bullies into trouble.

Incidentally, while a few comments on that YouTube video call McGee a baby, overly sensitive, and whatnot, I think these two hit the nail on the head:

Pretty on point. When a false dichotomy won't work, go to Morton's fork instead. As noted in that first comment, if McGee says nothing, he's a wimp because won't stand up for himself. If he stands up for himself, he's still a wimp because he can't take a joke. There's no correct course of action for him to take, he's in the wrong and destined to be the butt of the joke no matter what. It probably would've been less effort for Shaq to say "Sorry not sorry."

I admit that I can't help but feel I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it is, but the lack of professionalism, and smug, somewhat mean-spirited nature of it does rankle me, especially because of Shaq being so thin-skinned himself. There's kidding around and having a laugh, and then there's crossing the line into being a straight up douchebag...and then there's going even further and revelling in the fact that you're an unapologetic douchebag. It feels like Shaq crossed that line, and is pouting because someone had the nerve to call him out on taking it a bit too far.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Jesus Christ, Shaq and Kenny should fucking makeout already. Kenny always talking about Shaq like he is the GOAT, no question asked. "I haven't seen you miss twice in a row". Gimme a fucking break...even when they have the intention to show Shaq is human they can't do it properly.
That's Kenny's thing now. Kissing Shaq's ass in advance so if he ever gets into an argument with Chuck, Shaq can back him up. I remember actually enjoying his style until he got that crappy reality show of his. The moment the show started airing, his personality turned 180 degrees and I couldn't believe the same person was sitting between EJ and Chuck. Everything he did was exagerated and he started acting like something he never was.
I couldn't find a video of it from Monday night, but my favorite part was when I found out "Meet the Smiths" was actually in the bottom 100 TV shows from last year in popularity.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Yeah, but he was runner-up to Dominique Wilkins in the dunk contest one year. A TRUE LEGEND.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 pm

I Hate Mondays wrote:I couldn't find a video of it from Monday night, but my favorite part was when I found out "Meet the Smiths" was actually in the bottom 100 TV shows from last year in popularity.

phpBB [video]
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:39 am

Stress Fracture wrote:
I Hate Mondays wrote:I couldn't find a video of it from Monday night, but my favorite part was when I found out "Meet the Smiths" was actually in the bottom 100 TV shows from last year in popularity.

phpBB [video]

Went straight to my fav video collection, thank you!
I Hate Mondays

Postby Sauru on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:33 am

"notflix" ???????????????????????? dear god
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:43 am

Incidentally, Shaq's latest is that Durant has no right to come after him (read: stand up for his teammate), because KD's NBA resume isn't as impressive as Shaq's. Mind you, I remember Shaq saying "Wilt Chamberlain can kiss my ass" back in 1997, when his resume wasn't that much better than Durant's, and certainly not better than Wilt's. I guess it was somehow different when Shaq was the brash young star twenty years ago, taking bratty shots at the players who came before him.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm

bluntly put, shaq is a giant bitch
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:59 pm

"But he's funny!"
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast