NBA Live 16 Quick Impressions

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

Re: NBA Live 16 Quick Impressions

Postby Andrew on Tue May 17, 2016 9:39 am

I agree, both games need a bit of tuning in that regard, from opposite ends of the scale. Sliders can help - sometimes - but beyond any problems with slider effectiveness, it's a moot point in modes where you can't adjust sliders at all, such as each game's team building, pro-am, and single player career modes.

As it happened, I played a full Tip Off game of NBA Live 16 yesterday, to get a few screenshots for an article. At this point, the game feels a lot better than it did at launch, and I can still see a lot of potential in it. There's a ways to go, but I hope that the extra development time for NBA Live 17 does pay off, and that the console platform isn't abandoned as has been speculated.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue May 17, 2016 4:30 pm

[Q] wrote:But then again NBA players shouldn't miss wide open fast break layups like in 2k

Totally agree Q, Live does do some things better than 2k and dribbling and not missing wide open Layups are part of it my gripe is more that is that if I want to get easy points I can post up with anyone and use the up and under or post shot which goes in 90%of the time.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Patr1ck on Wed May 18, 2016 9:33 am

[Q] wrote:But then again NBA players shouldn't miss wide open fast break layups like in 2k

phpBB [video]

Of course they shouldn't. But it happens.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed May 18, 2016 9:58 am

It comes down to balance. It's hard to make a game feel like it's never screwing you over when you miss an inside shot, but it's frustrating when the CPU is waltzing into the paint and finishing with ease, while layup after layup rolls off the rim for the user. It needs to feel fair. At the same time, if you want a sim game, it needs to be easier to score inside, but not a guaranteed bucket; that can be a tough pill to swallow for gamers, because we're used to being rewarded for doing everything right in video games, and a realistic basketball game will reflect the phenomenon of doing everything right, but still coming up empty.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed May 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Pdub wrote:

phpBB [video]

Of course they shouldn't. But it happens.

Sure, like the Brandon Knight game winner :lol:
but they should be like super rare. That pissed me off so much in 2K7 when I'd play good defense and brick a wide open layup with no defenders in the area
That's the stuff that drives players to play cheese lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:47 am

A bit late to the party, but I was recently sick and had Live 16 bought since it was in some kind of a discount. So I finally got around to try it our.

Played mainly Rising Star and I liked a lot about it. Gameplay leaves a lot to be desired (defense mainly), true, but overall it felt somewhat arcade-y, though not bad overall. I'd compare it to 2K11 maybe? I don't think it's necessarily bad to have more arcade gameplay.
But what I liked was character progression. Skills upgraded with one currency, that is earned by performing well, while other stuff (cosmetics) are purchased with other. No microtransactions (or at least I saw none).
And you know what? I could select body type for my player. Something I have no idea why we can't do in 2K.

I also liked player models and faces.

Overall, I hope the next NBA Live (will it be 17? 18? maybe just Live?) will be improved a lot thanks to the extended development. While NBA 2K is pretty good, we (consumers) can only benefit from competition.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:01 am

The separate in-game currencies for upgrades and gear, and lack of microtransactions in Rising Star/LIVE Pro-Am, is definitely a good approach.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:45 am

Well it looks live 16 messed up the trade restrictions (salary cap), with live 15 I could start up a dynasty, switch off the trade restrictions and redone the rosters the best way I could but now the cpu has too much say on trades and wouldn't let me do half the trades I wanted too unlike last year so unless iam missing something I could be officially done with Live 16.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Phreak50 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Just a quick note to anyone on PS4 Pro with the beta firmware.

The Boost mode (which helps performance of games without a dedicated Pro patch) helps Live 16 a little.

Load times have improved and some of the jerkiness in frame rates, especially during transitions and cutscenes are smoother.
Phreak50

Postby beegees on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:12 am

Hey! :) Did someone finished a goal to make 10/10 accurate threes for that one achievement? :roll: Any suggestions?
This Is Where I Came In

beegees

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 am

Easiest way would be to max out the long range shooting sliders. From memory, it's virtually impossible to miss an open three if you do that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 16