Woj Bomb of the Year (Cousins to New Orleans)

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Woj Bomb of the Year

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:17 am

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

DeMarcus Cousins to the Pelicans for bunch of nothing

Postby NovU on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:47 am

http://www.csnbayarea.com/kings/kings-t ... er-matters

The trade sending DeMarcus Cousins and Omri Casspi to the Pelicans in exchange for Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and some draft picks was finalized on Monday.

I love it, for the Kings. Divac can finally start anew.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Re: DeMarcus Cousins to the Pelicans for bunch of nothing

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 am

makes you think what kind of deal **insert your favorite team here** could have gotten

hear sacto would have done the deal if they included ingrram... allegedly
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 pm

I think Divac would have gotten more dealing with other teams. He probably was willing to overpay for potential, which is actually a logical thing to do for purpose of rebuilding. Only real asset Kings got in return is Pelicans' first round pick, and a Buddy Hield(more likely a bust than star at this point).
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Bruce on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:08 pm

I think there were more than 5 teams that could have made a gamble on Cousins. Makes me wonder if Divac made enough calls to other teams.

People are already calling it a bad trade for Sacramento, I think I will take a wait and see approach here. Sacramento did dump some salary, got Buddy Hield, who might be limited on upside, but looks like he will have an average but productive career. Then there is the draft pick from the Pelicans that is shaping to be lottery bound, which is a wild card. I think 3-5 yrs is a good amount of time to judge whether a trade is good or not.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Bruce wrote:I think there were more than 5 teams that could have made a gamble on Cousins. Makes me wonder if Divac made enough calls to other teams.

People are already calling it a bad trade for Sacramento, I think I will take a wait and see approach here. Sacramento did dump some salary, got Buddy Hield, who might be limited on upside, but looks like he will have an average but productive career. Then there is the draft pick from the Pelicans that is shaping to be lottery bound, which is a wild card. I think 3-5 yrs is a good amount of time to judge whether a trade is good or not.

how is it shaping to be lottery bound? pelicans are going for the playoffs. only 2 games out of the winning column from denver

so hield's supposed average potential, some salary relief, and a possible lottery or mid round 1st pick > cousins?????? c'mon.

cousins has hit more 3's than hield.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Re: Woj Bomb of the Year (Cousins to New Orleans)

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Just a heads up, I've merged the threads and changed the title so that we don't double up again.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:27 pm

air gordon wrote:so hield's supposed average potential, some salary relief, and a possible lottery or mid round 1st pick > cousins?????? c'mon.

cousins has hit more 3's than hield.

If they don't feel like Cousins is coachable and hurts the team more than helps... Any value for him is good.

Anyway, Cousins this season so far:
  • 34 minutes per game
  • 505/1118 from the field (45.2 %)
  • 95/207 from 3 pt (35.6 %)
  • 423/549 from free throw line (77 %)
  • 584 rebounds
  • 266 assists
  • 207 turnovers (!) - quite a lot for a big man if you ask me
  • 75 steals
  • 73 blocks
  • 203 personal fouls (3.56 per game)
  • also 34 double doubles and 2 triple doubles
  • his +/- is -32

And Buddy Hield:
  • 20 minutes per game - 14 less than Cousins
  • 185/472 from the field (39.2 %) - 6 % lower than Cousins
  • 89/241 from 3 pt (36.9 %) - 1.3 % higher than Cousins, as for your argument it's whole 6 threes less than Cousins in 700+ less minutes on the floor
  • 29/33 from free throw line (87.9 %) - 10.9 % higher than Cousins, but of course much less shooting
  • 165 rebounds
  • 77 assists
  • 48 turnovers
  • 18 steals
  • 7 blocks
  • 81 personal fouls (1.47 per game)
  • no double or triple doubles
  • his +/- is -150

Now the question is how Hield will fit into Kings' rotation and culture. How well he can be coached.

Also worth noting is that Cousins currently leads the league in technical fouls - 19 techs so far. Second are tied DeAndre Jordan and Dwight Howard with 14. out of that he was ejected 2 times (tied second in league with several other players, first is Carmelo Anthony with 3 ejections).
Buddy Hield has no techs, although he was ejected once as he was hit with flagrant two foul - actually when he hit Cousins in the groin.

Cousins' technicals per season: 2016/17 - 19 so far, 2015/16 - 17, 2014/15 - 15, 2013/14 - 16, 2012/13 - 17, 2011/12 - 13, 2010/11 - 15

Finally to be fair to Hield, Cousins' rookie season wasn't all that superb either - virtually no 3 pt shooting (actually that holds true until 2014-15 season), even lower free throw shooting, 268 turnovers and +/- of whopping -534.

And let's not forget that Omri Casspi is not worth Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway, 1st round pick and 2nd round pick.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Dommy,
Cousins wasnt forcing his way out. He in fact started publicly he wanted to resign. Divac also revealed there were better offers on the tables previously. This deal even gets vetoed in fantasy basketball lol

What argument are you making with those stats? Cousins impact on on the court clearly bests hields

What NBA level skills has hield shown so far aside from hitting s 3pt shot and sinking the occasional ft?!

Aside from the 1st pick,Evans and whoever are just salary filler and afterthoughts
Jump.
air gordon

Postby big-shot-ROB on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 am

benji wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:No NBA team will risk their core or their future to acquire a player he has openly told his agent he won't resign with any team who trades for him.

Unless they have LeBron.

I thought we would leave GM's out of this. :wink:

air gordon wrote:Dommy,
Cousins wasnt forcing his way out. He in fact started publicly he wanted to resign. Divac also revealed there were better offers on the tables previously. This deal even gets vetoed in fantasy basketball lol

What argument are you making with those stats? Cousins impact on on the court clearly bests hields

What NBA level skills has hield shown so far aside from hitting s 3pt shot and sinking the occasional ft?!

Aside from the 1st pick,Evans and whoever are just salary filler and afterthoughts

I am on your side with this. That was a possibly the worst deal they could've gotten for Cousins. Hield, a bunch of salary fillers and a "not-so-bound" lottery pick. Sure any team would have given possibly a better draft pick or a player whose range of potential can be wider, meaning potentially being a better player than Hield's ceiling, ex: Rozier.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:23 am

phpBB [video]

zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:27 am

That's important to remember. Few people are cartoonish villains 24/7, and people with bad habits aren't necessarily bad people. Off the court, Cousins seems like a pretty good person, and on the court, he can do some pretty good things, too.

Of course, the flip side of what Harper notes there is that for every heartwarming story about him and the community, there's a bad locker room story, and that's obviously a problem. Since the Kings are a professional basketball team and trying to win basketball games is their business, it's understandable that they'd make a tough decision and trade him away. Cousins is very talented, clearly good for the community, and it would be unfair to paint him as a terrible person just because he has a few faults. But he does have issues with his temper and judgement, and it's questionable as to whether he's truly a franchise player because of that. Committing to building around him for the foreseeable future, to the tune of $200 million no less, is something you have to think long and hard about.

That being said, it's not much of a deal. They could, and should, have gotten more for him. I also go back to what Woj pointed out about the way they handled it: promising that they'd keep him, publicly and privately, and then going back on that. It's bad form, and while there's a business side to the sport, there's also good and bad ways to do that business. Why should any agents and prospective free agents buy what the Kings try to sell them in the future? Even if you understand and don't disagree with their decision, if you're a free agent they're recruiting, you're probably going to be wary of how they'll end up treating you, and how honest they'll be in their dealings.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski on DeMarcus Cousins trade: Once (the Kings front office) they got Vivek on board, they didn’t want him to change his mind again. That was part of the reason they rushed on Sunday to get the deal done.
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:05 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
air gordon wrote:Dommy,

I am on your side with this. That was a possibly the worst deal they could've gotten for Cousins. Hield, a bunch of salary fillers and a "not-so-bound" lottery pick. Sure any team would have given possibly a better draft pick or a player whose range of potential can be wider, meaning potentially being a better player than Hield's ceiling, ex: Rozier.

You guys are right. Cousins' perceived value is higher than whatever the crap Kings got in return.

Management probably just wanted to get it over with. Cousins was a headache and the team was heading nowhere. Divac's statement about "Winning begins with culture and personal matters" is an indication imho.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:20 pm

At the same time, there's this: The impact of the DeMarcus Cousins trade is getting worse for the Kings: 'If you burn an agent in this league, they do not forget'

But here is where it gets even uglier for the Kings. According to several NBA insiders, including Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical, the Kings lied to Cousins' agents about wanting to trade him, and NBA agents are not happy.

"We know that Vlade Divac, their GM, had been very, publicly and privately, had been pretty emphatic that they were not going to do this," Wojnaroski said on his podcast. "He came out publicly and said, 'I'm not going to trade Cousins at the deadline. He's going to be here. We want to re-sign him.' And he told that to Cousins and he told that to Cousins' agents, Jarinn Akana and Dan Fegan."

Former NBA executive Bobby Marks was a guest on the podcast with Wojnarowski and explained how dangerous this move was for the Kings, saying, "If you burn an agent in this league, they do not forget."

"You never come out and say a player is not going to get traded or 'we're going to sign this player to an extension,' because anybody in this league is tradable," Marks told Wojnarowski. "I think it can have some long-term implications here. If you look at Dan Fegan, a powerful agent. When you look at Jarinn and who he represents. When we get into free agency with Sacramento, a team that is going to possibly have some cap flexibility. When we get into the draft, we don't know yet whom they will represent, but if you burn an agent in this league, they do not forget here."

Others have seemingly confirmed this thought, noting that this deal has hurt the Kings in the eyes of many agents.

"Several agents have already told me that [Sacramento] has lost all credibility after assuring Cousins he would not be traded this year and extended," Keith Smith of FanRagSports wrote on Twitter.

It's hard to build that winning culture without talent, and hard to acquire (or hold onto) that talent if your reputation has been sullied.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Makes you wonder what if Divac traded him last year or year before. His perceived value gradually declined year by year day by day.

That makes you think, it's not like this was entirely 110% WIN for the Pelicans either. They are playing with fire that's known to burn the house down. There's also a timer that might not get reset if Cousins decides to go elsewhere after his contract expires. And, OH man, think about MAX contract that will last well over till Cousins becomes 30 something years old. That could be their demise for rest of decade and possibly next. For now this looks like an interesting experiment though.

How do you guys think this experiment will pan out for the Pelicants?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Even if things don't pan out with Cousins, they're still going to have Anthony Davis, so even if the experiment fails and Cousins moves on, they're still in a good position as far as having a star to build around. If they'd traded Davis for Cousins, it'd be a different story, but as it stands, they don't have to pin all their hopes on Cousins.

It will be interesting though. I could see them making a solid run through the final two months of the season. They're only a few games out of the eighth spot in the West, it's not unfeasible that they sneak into the postseason if they string together a few good winning streaks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Andrew wrote:Even if things don't pan out with Cousins, they're still going to have Anthony Davis, so even if the experiment fails and Cousins moves on, they're still in a good position as far as having a star to build around. If they'd traded Davis for Cousins, it'd be a different story, but as it stands, they don't have to pin all their hopes on Cousins.

It will be interesting though. I could see them making a solid run through the final two months of the season. They're only a few games out of the eighth spot in the West, it's not unfeasible that they sneak into the postseason if they string together a few good winning streaks.

But that backcourt is......meh.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:08 am

Boogie point centre.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:01 am

NovU wrote:Makes you wonder what if Divac traded him last year or year before. His perceived value gradually declined year by year day by day.

That makes you think, it's not like this was entirely 110% WIN for the Pelicans either. They are playing with fire that's known to burn the house down. There's also a timer that might not get reset if Cousins decides to go elsewhere after his contract expires. And, OH man, think about MAX contract that will last well over till Cousins becomes 30 something years old. That could be their demise for rest of decade and possibly next. For now this looks like an interesting experiment though.

How do you guys think this experiment will pan out for the Pelicants?

Take it easy. Too much cliche dropping there haha

I agree it's not a for sure win but considering what they gave up and the non chance of landing a player of this talent if they stayed the course, its a great deal for them.

The experts say gentry favors a fast pace coach. Big challenge for him
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:38 am

Vlade Divac Says He’ll ‘Step Down’ If DeMarcus Cousins Trade Doesn’t Work Out

Q: Well, the pressure is on you now. It’s pretty clear that Divac, not Ranadive, is making the personnel decisions. Some people still can’t believe Ranadive actually stepped aside and allowed you to trade his favorite player.

A: That’s my job, and I take responsibility. And I totally understand why some fans would be upset. They supported DeMarcus, and I like DeMarcus a lot. But I believe we are going to be in a better position in two years. I want to hear again from these same people in two years. If I’m right, great. If I’m wrong, I’ll step down. But if I go down, I’m going down my way.

So, he's stepping down in a couple of years...if he's good to his word, of course. And seeing as how he just promised Cousins he wasn't going to be traded...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:57 pm

air gordon wrote:I agree it's not a for sure win but considering what they gave up and the non chance of landing a player of this talent if they stayed the course, its a great deal for them.

3 losses with cousins, 1 win without him tonight. I always thought his perceived value was way higher than his actual talent.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Phil89 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:30 am

Andrew wrote:[ Image ]

Things really look bad if you play the "what if?" game with their drafting of lottery picks in the last 8 years.

2009 - pick 4 - Tyreke Evans (Steph Curry, DeMar DeRozan)
2010 - pick 5 - DeMarcus Cousins (Paul George, Gordon Hayward)
2011 - pick 7 - Bismack Biyombo (Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Kemba Walker)
2012 - pick 5 - Thomas Robinson (Damian Lillard, Andre Drummond, Harrison Barnes)
2013 - pick 7 - Ben McLemore (Giannis Antetokounmpo, CJ McCollum, Steven Adams)
2014 - pick 8 - Nik Stauskas (Zach LaVine, Dario Saric, TJ Warren)
2015 - pick 6 - Willie Cauley-Stein (Devin Booker, Myles Turner, Justise Winslow)
2016 - pick 8 - Traded for Georgios Papagiannis, Skal Labissière and draft rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic (Marquese Chriss, Domantas Sabonis)

Obviously it's easy to look like a genius in hindsight. But that is a pretty horrible strike rate.

Even the guy who did become a star player turned out to be too much trouble because of attitude problems.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby air gordon on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:13 am

NovU wrote:
air gordon wrote:I agree it's not a for sure win but considering what they gave up and the non chance of landing a player of this talent if they stayed the course, its a great deal for them.

3 losses with cousins, 1 win without him tonight. I always thought his perceived value was way higher than his actual talent.

That's fair to say. It's a small sample size though and it has to be hard to integrate such a high usage player more than halfway through the season.

Too bad caspi got hurt. They def need shooters who can defend and shoot
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:16 am

Phil89 wrote:
Andrew wrote:[ Image ]

Things really look bad if you play the "what if?" game with their drafting of lottery picks in the last 8 years.

2009 - pick 4 - Tyreke Evans (Steph Curry, DeMar DeRozan)
2010 - pick 5 - DeMarcus Cousins (Paul George, Gordon Hayward)
2011 - pick 7 - Bismack Biyombo (Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Kemba Walker)
2012 - pick 5 - Thomas Robinson (Damian Lillard, Andre Drummond, Harrison Barnes)
2013 - pick 7 - Ben McLemore (Giannis Antetokounmpo, CJ McCollum, Steven Adams)
2014 - pick 8 - Nik Stauskas (Zach LaVine, Dario Saric, TJ Warren)
2015 - pick 6 - Willie Cauley-Stein (Devin Booker, Myles Turner, Justise Winslow)
2016 - pick 8 - Traded for Georgios Papagiannis, Skal Labissière and draft rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic (Marquese Chriss, Domantas Sabonis)

Obviously it's easy to look like a genius in hindsight. But that is a pretty horrible strike rate.

Even the guy who did become a star player turned out to be too much trouble because of attitude problems.

Yikes. I agree, definitely a lot of misses there when you go back. Like you said, it's easy to criticise in hindsight, but even at the time, some of those picks were questionable.

Of course, Tyreke Evans was Rookie of the Year, averaging 20-5-5. As it stands, his career numbers aren't terrible or anything, but he kind of peaked in his rookie campaign, and hasn't become a star since. He originally looked like a great pick.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball