Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Postby Cpt(K) on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:37 pm

Dark Souls III now has my utmost attention, obviously. I've . . . become such a sadistic person these few days since the North American release (April 12th).

phpBB [video]

My mic was off, but I promise you I was laughing (maniacally) out loud.

This kind of laughter:

phpBB [video]

I did redeem myself from the horrible act, and made my intentions clear in my next encounter:

phpBB [video]
Cpt(K)

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Played in a Street Fighter 4 competition down the street from my house. Didn't do as well as I would've hoped (haven't plated the game regularly in years) so i signed up for the Street Fighter 5 tournament tomorrow
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:20 am

I think The Crew is an extremely underrated game. I picked up the Wild Run edition, and despite a couple major flaws, I love it. It's awesome that the map is the entire United States (obviously <1% of the size and missing key cities like Philly, Denver and Portland) - really has a nice road trip vibe driving from region to region with free-roam challenges littered everywhere to keep things interesting. Though there is a currency system, the RPG-style way cars are upgraded is a nice break from nearly 20 years of Gran Turismo-style economy structures. Also, the weekly contests are pretty fun.

Unfortunately, many of the cars can only be unlocked with real currency or with the $60 complete version. I'm probably 15 hours in and only own two cars. Also, the driving mechanics are a bit wonky, and the crashes rather tame. The story is by no means good, but I don't mind it - the missions are fun and the cutscenes skippable.

While I wish the driving were a little better and cars easier to unlock, there's a lot to like here. It's not a PS4 Midnight Club, but it's the next best thing.
Lamrock

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:43 am

Lamrock, what a coincidence, I actually just purchased The Crew: Wild Run Edition a few days ago. I haven't really put any time into it though. I own a few of the Midnight Club (3 and Los Angeles) games, which are awesome.
Cpt(K)

Postby el badman on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:15 am

I personally have more games than usual on the back-burner right now:

- Waiting for itsDLCs, I still hadn't finished Fallout 4 after 250 hours or so in it, but I guess I'll go and finish it regardless before I lose more interest. The Automatron was a pretty good new feature though
- In the middle of Far Cry Primal, which isn't bad and is a ballsy different take on the series' backbone I guess, but unfortunately for me they chose to go with the gameplay features that I enjoyed the least in Far Cry3/4 (hunting and melee), while leaving out the parts I liked the most (the shooter mechanisms). Doesn't look like the story will be anything to write home about either...
- Just finished Ep 2 of The Walking Dead: Michonne, waiting for the 3rd one to finish that game. Pretty good so far, but more action-based than the first 2 seasons of TWD, and o how I hate those QTE...
- Just finished Assassin's Creed: Unity which was a huge waste of potential as expected, and about to start Assassin's Creed: Syndicate that I got for free, and which shouldn't be any better I'm sure
- After the above-mentioned games I still have Firewatch (which I can't wait to play) and SOMA, as well as the last episode of Dreamfall: Chapters when it'll be available
- Anxiously waiting for the last DLC of the Witcher 3, which already looks fucking incredible
- Haven't' played NBA 2K16 in ages, I was more or less enjoying myCareer mode, but well, Fallout 4 took care of that for me...
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Lamrock wrote:I think The Crew is an extremely underrated game. I picked up the Wild Run edition, and despite a couple major flaws, I love it. It's awesome that the map is the entire United States (obviously <1% of the size and missing key cities like Philly, Denver and Portland) - really has a nice road trip vibe driving from region to region with free-roam challenges littered everywhere to keep things interesting. Though there is a currency system, the RPG-style way cars are upgraded is a nice break from nearly 20 years of Gran Turismo-style economy structures. Also, the weekly contests are pretty fun.

Unfortunately, many of the cars can only be unlocked with real currency or with the $60 complete version. I'm probably 15 hours in and only own two cars. Also, the driving mechanics are a bit wonky, and the crashes rather tame. The story is by no means good, but I don't mind it - the missions are fun and the cutscenes skippable.

While I wish the driving were a little better and cars easier to unlock, there's a lot to like here. It's not a PS4 Midnight Club, but it's the next best thing.

Do they have realistic tracks for different cities? Do they have LA?? I miss Cruisin' USA

Also, was this the free one or was that Driveclub? I get those 2 confused
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:40 am

Depends on the city. Some, like Raleigh and Nashville, are depicted as small towns with a couple tall buildings. The major cities, like New York and Miami are a pretty decent size. Haven't been to LA, but it looks to be about the size of NY. Seattle is fairly accurate geographically, with the neighborhoods where they should be, but obviously is a very small version of it.
Lamrock

Postby Lamrock on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:23 am

The first Watch Dogs was decent, but pretty boring. However, I gave the second one a try since they had that 3 hour free trial on PSN, and I gotta say - this one is way better! Ended up ordering it off Amazon, and I've been pretty hooked. The gameplay is similar to the first one, but the drones add more diversity and the story is a lot less serious. San Francisco is beautifully rendered, and the game overall has a lot more personality than the first.

It's not as good as GTAV, but I'd recommend trying the free trial.
Lamrock

Postby NovU on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:22 pm

I am waiting for Watch Dogs 2 to go on sale. After playing GTA V, I just don't think too many open world games these days deserve full price from me. Perhaps Red Dead tho.

I been playing Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 for last month or two now. I am happy I went Xbone S with 4k tv over PS4. Though GOW4 is meh, Forza is another story. I think Forza Horizon 3 is the best game in the world right. And I am not really a racing game fan. It's just so fun to be racing, modding, selling designs, auctioning cars, trying new cars, etc. A lot to do.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:18 am

I liked the first Horizon a fair bit. The Forza series alone makes me regret going PS4 over Xbox somewhat. I love racing games, and Xbox has the only good one this gen.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:56 am

Just got Yakuza 0 yesterday, stayed up way later than I should have. Waiting for disc based Hitman next week as well as the new double dragon game

Yeah I'm really disappointed with the direction of gran turismo. Even after trying it out and the VR version, I know I still won't like it if it's not like the other GT games
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:04 am

NovU wrote:I am waiting for Watch Dogs 2 to go on sale. After playing GTA V, I just don't think too many open world games these days deserve full price from me. Perhaps Red Dead tho.

I've had WD2 for a few weeks now, and while I certainly agree that it's much much better than its predecessor, I gotta say it mainly made me want to go back to GTA V to play in 1st person and to try the now famous Redux mod, so that's what I did...
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lean on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 pm

I bought a New Nintendo 3DS XL last October and finished Ocarina of Time and Pokemon Sun there, I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles and Metal Gear Solid 3 on that.

I have created a character on Dragonball Xenoverse 2 but I haven't really started on anything yet.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 am

Breath of the Wild is amazing. Watched a few streams of the entire game and just finished the first part myself with the pro HUD.

Will probably be one of my GOAT games, just because it is doing problem-solving and openness so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvbqxBUG_c
phpBB [video]

....this is my first Zelda game too.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:50 am

A little jelly. Not being able to play any Zelda or Mario games is the one thing I regret about moving away from Nintendo following the N64.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Bought Overwatch since I am planning on applying to Blizzard. 16 gigs of updates before I can play. Haven't played too many FPS games in a while so we'll see how this goes
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:40 pm

JaoSming wrote:Breath of the Wild is amazing. Watched a few streams of the entire game and just finished the first part myself with the pro HUD.

Will probably be one of my GOAT games, just because it is doing problem-solving and openness so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvbqxBUG_c
phpBB [video]

....this is my first Zelda game too.

Man, I'm itching to get this with the Switch. The problem is that while the console itself is at a higher price point, they even raised the prices here in the Philippines. And they don't sell the Switch with just Zelda included as a bundle, they also include 1-2 Switch as part of the bundle which raises the price higher. Damn it.

But I am excited to get my hands on this, as I also watched gameplay videos of this on YouTube and see how different Breath of the Wild is compared to previous titles. And I've played a fair share of Zelda games myself (A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Minish Cap and Twilight Princess).

EDIT: I've read on Kotaku that some speedrunner finished the game in 58 minutes.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 am

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands is pretty damn cool on PC, been playing that a lot. It's not as deep in its mechanics as many would like it to be, but for me playing solo in this gigantic open world is a lot of fun.
Also caught up with Battlefield 1 and the campaign is certainly miles away from any of the crap that Call of Duty has been putting out in the last few years.. After that, I'll give For Honor a shot since I got it for free with my new GPU, and of course Mass Effect will probably take every free moment I have after that.
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Jackal on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 pm

el badman wrote:Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands is pretty damn cool on PC, been playing that a lot. It's not as deep in its mechanics as many would like it to be, but for me playing solo in this gigantic open world is a lot of fun.

I recently picked up a PS4 and got NBA 2K17 and that game. It's GTA meets Hitman for me and I love every moment of it. I don't game that much but I spend hours doing random shit in that game.

Any more games like that besides GTA?
Jackal

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:07 am

I think the latest Just Cause might be like that from the footage that I have seen, but I never played it so someone else would have to verify it.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Jackal wrote:
el badman wrote:Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands is pretty damn cool on PC, been playing that a lot. It's not as deep in its mechanics as many would like it to be, but for me playing solo in this gigantic open world is a lot of fun.

I recently picked up a PS4 and got NBA 2K17 and that game. It's GTA meets Hitman for me and I love every moment of it. I don't game that much but I spend hours doing random shit in that game.

Any more games like that besides GTA?

Yakuza
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Horizon: Zero Dawn was amazing. Super fun gameplay, beautiful graphics and I really enjoyed the story. I think its my favorite PS4 game.
Lamrock

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 pm

I messed up again and bit the bullet on an early access title. It's battlegrounds. Why do I think I messed up? Because it's DayZ without zombies or crafting, but a timed playable area that shrinks over time.

I can see the similarities of the functional parts of the game, good and bad. It's wrapped in the unreal engine, but it still has the same issues as DayZ when it came out.

I'm still going to play it and try to get my money's worth out of it. By the time they fix things, people will have moved on, probably.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:44 am

After initially decrying the game for being too hard, I now absolutely love Bloodborne. I'm late to the party, but yeah, it's fantastic. It goes against my button mashing tendencies, but now I'm slightly competent at it, I've gotten a lot more enjoyment out of it.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cpt(K) on Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 am

Bloodborne is by far the most difficult game in FromSoftware's "Dark Souls" franchise. It is a PS4 exclusive, locked at 30 frames-- but the fast-paced, quick-thinking combat is to die for (see what I did there . . . okay slap me). :lol:

With The Old Hunters dlc, the already amazing soundtrack has raised the bar quite high in my opinion. I really would like a second game for Bloodborne, although the director apparently doesn't like to develop sequels, I think it'd be a nice addition to the different direction that Bloodborne provided in terms of combat.

Edit: I recently got Ghost Recon: Wildlands, I was hoping they'd give it more of a Splinter Cell vibe, but instead they only included minimum effort for stealth infiltrations. Sure, there's climbing onto surfaces, and scaling obstacles like fences, but no death-from-above or other feats you'd expect in a game like this. Especially since there's no wall climbing . . . bummer.
Cpt(K)

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic