NBA2K17 PC Frame Rate Drops - found a fix for Nvidia GPU's - new finding!!!

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Re: NBA2K17 PC Frame Rate Drops - found a fix for Nvidia GPU's - new finding!!!

Postby CT4 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:01 am

Yeah I suggest keeping reflections off. They are (for me surpriseingley) big frame hit. With it off I get like 3-5 FPS more
Celtics and Kristaps Porzingis fan from Latvia.
Not much else to know really.
CT4

Postby blitzkriegbugz on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:11 am

CelticsPorzingod wrote:Yeah I suggest keeping reflections off. They are (for me surpriseingley) big frame hit. With it off I get like 3-5 FPS more

i know right? not last year tho. i was at a mid-high mid settings on the same card in 2k16. 2k15 all max. i'm just wondering in a span of those games, there is not that much of a graphical improvement, but using the same card, it just gets worse each year.
blitzkriegbugz

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:57 am

blitzkriegbugz wrote:
CelticsPorzingod wrote:Yeah I suggest keeping reflections off. They are (for me surpriseingley) big frame hit. With it off I get like 3-5 FPS more

i know right? not last year tho. i was at a mid-high mid settings on the same card in 2k16. 2k15 all max. i'm just wondering in a span of those games, there is not that much of a graphical improvement, but using the same card, it just gets worse each year.

It's on their end, this game shouldn't get more demanding graphical-wise year by year, it's just bad optimisation. Guys with GTX 1080 can't run the game properly maxed out, so it should be on their end.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Jonny2k on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:24 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:
blitzkriegbugz wrote:

It's on their end, this game shouldn't get more demanding graphical-wise year by year, it's just bad optimisation. Guys with GTX 1080 can't run the game properly maxed out, so it should be on their end.

I feel that part of the reason the optimization issues have not been addressed is because it seems that 2K has put a lid on Leftos' mouth. We haven't received any direct help from him like we did for the last two games.
Jonny2k

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:48 am

This stutter is absurd already there should have been a fix...We paid money for a complete optimized game. I might switch to console gaming to get that good optimization the PS4 and Xbox One get. Then again, if I buy myself a console for some basketball game, I might as well try and switch to the NBA live series too. It's not like they will be crying because I am a drop of sand in the desert, but the number of players switching to live could increase over the years.
I Hate Mondays

Postby blitzkriegbugz on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:47 am

is it just me or there are clippings in some of the players' compression pants? and with the headband too. sometimes some players' sleeves clip also. what's up wid that? lol
blitzkriegbugz

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:57 am

blitzkriegbugz wrote:is it just me or there are clippings in some of the players' compression pants? and with the headband too. sometimes some players' sleeves clip also. what's up wid that? lol

Let's not turn this into a 2k hate thread lol. Let's stay on-topic. But yeah, clipping issues are there, many people noticed them.
I Hate Mondays

Postby blitzkriegbugz on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:49 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:
blitzkriegbugz wrote:is it just me or there are clippings in some of the players' compression pants? and with the headband too. sometimes some players' sleeves clip also. what's up wid that? lol

Let's not turn this into a 2k hate thread lol. Let's stay on-topic. But yeah, clipping issues are there, many people noticed them.

not hatin' bruh, just askin! lol! anyways, i thought it was just me, because i was using a seperate program to somewhat downgrade the gfx and make it steady@60fps, so i thought it was that app that was causing the clipping
blitzkriegbugz

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:13 am

There is a new setting in the NVIDIA control panel after the last driver update("Optimize for Computer Performance"). I wonder if enabling this improves the game performance. Jay-R, what do you think?
I Hate Mondays

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:26 pm

No performance boost after the 1.08 update for me. I am not that kind of a person who throws curse words left and right, but I'd have one or two things to say to some people from 2K.
I Hate Mondays

Postby blitzkriegbugz on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:40 am

so, there was an update yesterday, 1.08 i think. I used to run it on medium settings @constant 60fps. Now my framerate flactuates and dips from 50-60fps? wth 2k???!!! I worked so hard to make this game playable, going out of my way setting things in and out of game to get constant 60fps. and you guys ef'd it all up!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
blitzkriegbugz

Postby SanchezAmaro on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 am

Anybody knows if there is any way to run some modders courts in medium settings (textures medium). It crashes the game while loading. It does not crash in high settings but my poor laptop suffers a fps drop that makes the game hardly playable... Is there any setting I can tweak besides changing texture quality? I really want to use those mods, especially the new uctr by Dee

Thanks a lot in advance
SanchezAmaro

Postby jay-r on Thu May 04, 2017 12:23 am

I give up on improving 1st post settings :)

I just upgraded my whole system (MOBO, CPU, RAM) from

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS GENE V
CPU: i5-3570K @4,6ghz (1,22 vcore) (cooled by Noctua NH-D15)
RAM: Samsung (10M378B5273DH0-CK0/CH9) 4gb x 4 @2400mhz (10-12-12-28)
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB
VGA: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC
PSU: Corsair AX850

to

MOBO: ASUS Maximus IX Hero Z270
CPU: i7-7700K @4,8ghz (1,25 vcore) (cooled by Noctua NH-D15)
RAM: Hyperx Fury Black (2400mhz, CL15) 2x8gb @3000mhz (16-18-18-36, 1.30v)
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB
VGA: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR OC 8GB

and still the game stutters with MSAA set to 8.

So for fluid gameplay throughout the game the settings remain as they are in the 1st post of this thread - everything maxed out, except for MSAA, which is set @4.
jay-r

Postby StyxTx on Thu May 04, 2017 4:33 am

I could have saved you the money. I have top of the line everything and get stuttering.
StyxTx

Postby jay-r on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:40 pm

StyxTx wrote:I could have saved you the money. I have top of the line everything and get stuttering.

Well I upgraded my system even further (switched RAM, SSD and GPU) and now finally I can run the game maxed out with no stuttering. The only time I see a frame drop to 57-58 FPS is during halftime dunk show, but the drop does not translate into stuttering. :applaud:

MOBO: ASUS Maximus IX Hero Z270
CPU: i7-7700K @4,8ghz (1,25 vcore) (cooled by Noctua NH-D15)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB @3600Mhz (16-16-18-36, 1.35v)
SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
VGA: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
jay-r

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Man, you guys with NVIDIA cards really got the shit end of the stick, I don't get it. I have a Amd 8350 3.5ghz processor with a RX480 Graphics card, and I get smooth 60 FPS at all times, during Halftime and through cutscenes. Before this card, i had a R280x, with the same processor, and it ran at 60 fps through the game and cutscenes, but dropped to around 56 to 58 fps during the halftime dunk show.

I can't believe the game was so poorly optimized for some of the NVIDIA cards. Hopefully you guys don't run into this for 2K18.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jhiane on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:51 am

I have i5 4670 and R9 380 4GB with 8GB of rams, the game runs smoothly at stable 60fps in game but sometimes fps dropping also dropping to 55fps
Jhiane
Spot Up Shooter
Contributor

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:54 am

Well, i'm back from vacations (how cares...) :cry: and on 2K :mrgreen:

I had time to read few things about input lag, and this thread too.

So, I tried few things tonight with Nvidia Inspector : disable & force GSYNC off everywhere, max prerender frame = 1, Vsync forced on ON witch Vsync Tear Control On Adaptative.

The result isnt perfect in term of framerate, but I'm amazed how it impacts the gameplay pace.
I went back to the options to be sure i wasnt playing with a speed above 70 :crazyeyes:
No, it was at 48.
In some ways, I have 2k17 1.0 feeling :P
sticky-fingers

Postby jay-r on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:27 pm

You know what I did ? :D I moved to PS4 PRO :D not that this stuttering thing was a major issues, its just that I grew tired of pc gaming and this shit were one title for some reason, although the specs are top of the line, is more optimized for AMD or NVIDIA whatever the case might be. In PS4 everything just runs as it is supposed to. Sold everything pc related and moved to latitude 7480 for work and ps4 pro for gaming ;)
Take care guys ;)
jay-r

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:36 am

Well, it's another solution but you also say good-bye to a lot of good stuff
sticky-fingers

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:19 am

jay-r wrote:You know what I did ? :D I moved to PS4 PRO :D not that this stuttering thing was a major issues, its just that I grew tired of pc gaming and this shit were one title for some reason, although the specs are top of the line, is more optimized for AMD or NVIDIA whatever the case might be. In PS4 everything just runs as it is supposed to. Sold everything pc related and moved to latitude 7480 for work and ps4 pro for gaming ;)
Take care guys ;)

That's what I was planning to do since the start of the year, or even wait for a PS5 release. A bit off topic but I was devastated to grab Dragon Age: Inquisition for which I have more then recommended settings, only to see it's a bad port. Cutscenes work in like 20 fps. The moment I get the money for a PS4 Pro and a good combo TV for it, I'm out of the PC community. We are treated like garbage by big gaming companies. Kuddos to the Konami team and their MGS V: Phantom Pain port which was basically the last PC game I've ever tried that had a good PC port.
Jay-R spent a truck full of money on his rig. What he had was NASA quality. Only then he could run NBA 2k17 maxed out. On the other part there are people like me with decent rigs that SHOULD run the game maxed out but have bad results instead. Before spending my money on this game I checked the system req. of the game for a reason. When they have a a specific rig listed as recommended, the game should run smootheles with those specs. The result:
I had to run NBA 2k17 with AA set to 0 for half of the season and then set to 2 the rest of the season. That is outrageous. The edges look bad, actually they look like shit at that quality. I am not that kind of a player who cries himself to sleep because he can't run the game maxed out, even those NVIDIA special effects that are pointless and eat a lof of VRAM. The truth is the only options to run the game smoothly this year was to either cut the crowd quality (which resulted in a hand of people present in the crowd) or to reduce that AA level which gave us horrible visuals.
I really, really hope this will not be the case for 2K18. Or if that is the case, I'd love to see the devs talking to the community like they did in 2k16 and 2k15 to get those games run smoothly. 0 communication this year.

P.S. Even the NVIDIA Experience game inspector which usually UNDERESTIMATES my rig thinks I should run the game maxed out. The problem is not on my end, definitely.
Last edited by I Hate Mondays on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Hate Mondays

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:30 am

Well, GeForce Experience is a good idea, easy for newbies, but the result is not perfect and the program is even a bloatware.

So, at this point of my tests, i dunno what to think, 'cos I'm very happy by the result.
I tried so many things, game runs smooth, input lag is not there but as you could see, the settings are pretty funny :cheeky:

First thing, i've create a custom resolution, FHD with refresh rate at 59, in nvdia panel.
Reason : fix Input Lag 'cos i dont have a gsync screen.

Then, i used most of the part of the nvidia 3G graphic settings of the first post, with few modifications.
Here's my ]nvidia inspector profile if you want to try.

And then, the "best" part, the VideoSettings.cfg :mrgreen:
the file property is on read-only

Code: Select all
WIDTH = 1920
HEIGHT = 1080
REFRESHRATE = 59.0
BUFFERCOUNT = 1
VSYNC = 1
DYNAMIC_VSYNC = 0
LETTERBOX = 1
UI_ASPECT = 1
CURSOR_IDLE_TIME = 1
WINDOWMODE = 0
WINDOW_X = -2147483648
WINDOW_Y = -2147483648
MSAA = 8
MSAAQUALITY = 0
SSAA = 0
REFLECTIONS = 1
MONITOR = 0
MAXANISOTROPY = 16
ALLOW_BLURRY_UI = 0
TEXTURELOD = -1
PLAYERLOD = -1
MEDIAPEOPLELOD = -1
CROWDLOD = -1
SHADERLOD = -1
EFFECTLOD = -1
COLOR_CORRECTION = 1
DEPTH_OF_FIELD = 1
SSAO = 1
ENHANCEDAA = 1
BLOOM = 1
MOTION_BLUR = 1
VOLUMETRIC_EFFECTS = 1
ALLOW_COMPUTE_SHADERS = 1
VIBRATION = 3.0
ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY = 2
D3D_INTERNAL_THREADING_OPTIMIZATIONS = 1
FAST_TEXTURE_FORMAT_CONVERSION = 0
DYNAMIC_ENVIRONMENT_MAP = 1
JIT_SHADER_CREATE = 0
ADAPTER = 0
ADAPTER_VENDOR = NVIDIA
ADAPTER_DESCRIPTION = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
ADAPTER_VENDOR_ID = 0x10de
ADAPTER_DEVICE_ID = 0x13c2
ADAPTER_SUBSYSTEM_ID = 0x13c210b0
ADAPTER_REVISION = 0xa1
ADAPTER_DEDICATED_VIDEO_MEMORY = 1050214400
ADAPTER_SHARED_SYSTEM_MEMORY = 2951999488
SYSTEM_MEMORY = 7536215552
CPU_VENDOR = GenuineIntel
CPU_DESCRIPTION = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
CPU_CLOCKRATE = 4Ghz

I know, it's quite strange :crazyeyes: But in Nvidia Inspector Monitor, the game is now stable at 70/78% of GPU Usage (94/99 before) and the peace of the game is amazing.
Hope it can help ;)
sticky-fingers

Previous

Return to NBA 2K17