NBA2K17 PC Frame Rate Drops - found a fix for Nvidia GPU's - new finding!!!

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Re: NBA2K17 PC Frame Rate Drops - found a fix for Nvidia GPU's - new finding!!!

Postby elsoulas on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:02 am

jay-r wrote:
elsoulas wrote:MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH
D3D_INTERNAL_THREADING_OPTIMIZATIONS = 0
With this set to 0 I can play everything maxed out, with some stuttering on cutscenes!!!
Moreover, no need for FULL SCREEN WINDOWED MODE

Can't wait to try it out, especially seeing that you are rocking my settings all the way. GTX 1080?

Actually, GTX 1070 but with i5 4690K
elsoulas

Postby jay-r on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:16 am

elsoulas wrote:
jay-r wrote:
elsoulas wrote:MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH
With this set to 0 I can play everything maxed out, with some stuttering on cutscenes!!!
Moreover, no need for FULL SCREEN WINDOWED MODE

Can't wait to try it out, especially seeing that you are rocking my settings all the way. GTX 1080?

Actually, GTX 1070 but with i5 4690K

Please share your nvidia CP settings unless they are alike.
jay-r

Postby elsoulas on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:24 am

They are the same.
elsoulas

Postby Issy on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:11 am

I am the only one who can't play in MyPark?

My game works well in all other game modes at 60 fps.

But when i'm going to MyPark, after few secondes/minutes i have freez (the game froze and i need to restart my PC) or crash (the game exit and i'm back to the desktop). I specially have freez when i go with shader in high.
I tried all settings (even the worst resolution and aliasing but no effect).

And i'm not the only one, 4 peoples who have the same GPU than me, a R9 380 have the same problem.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/385760/di ... 003925066/
https://community.amd.com/thread/206482

There is my settings :

WIDTH = 1680
HEIGHT = 1050
REFRESHRATE = 60.0
BUFFERCOUNT = 3
VSYNC = 1
DYNAMIC_VSYNC = 0
LETTERBOX = 1
MSAA = 0
SSAA = 2

ADAPTER_DESCRIPTION = AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
CPU_DESCRIPTION = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
24 gb DDR3

I was in contact with 2ksupport like one month now, we try everything but she literally said this is not their problem.

This is very frustrating when the park was working well in 2k16. :cry:
Issy

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:58 am

Jay-R, any new NVIDIA control panel changes? Have you manage to get 60 fps with MSAA set to 4 and nothing lower than 60? I have some weird moments when my fps drops if I have my MSAA set to 4. The game starts and it's all nice, after a couple of minutes I get some stutter during some random jumpshots, then after a few minutes the fps rate is good again and so on.
I Hate Mondays

Postby jay-r on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:44 am

I hate Mondays wrote:Jay-R, any new NVIDIA control panel changes? Have you manage to get 60 fps with MSAA set to 4 and nothing lower than 60? I have some weird moments when my fps drops if I have my MSAA set to 4. The game starts and it's all nice, after a couple of minutes I get some stutter during some random jumpshots, then after a few minutes the fps rate is good again and so on.

Still working on it. MSAA @4 as you have noticed and I noticed on the 2nd day is not totally perfect.
Actually today I am also seeing a bit of stuttering @4x now, but its definitely better. I think I might even try MSAA @2 (in game) with forced Enhanced AA through Nvidia CP somewhat similar to what Phreak50 has done

I am looking for best way to enhance AA through NVIDIA CP with in game setting of MSAA @2, which so far works great no matter what you throw at the game through Nvidia CP. MSAA @4 is not critically bad, but I don't want to settle for set of settings which causes even the slightest FPS drop and with MSAA @4 they do happen.

By the way, the best way monitor GPU/CPU USAGE + FPS is through RivaTuner Statistics Server that comes in bundle with MSI AfterBurner -> https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

and my recommendation to anyone claiming that they have found the set of settings that give you stutter-free performance -> play until the half-time and monitor FPS as soon as Ernie, Shaq, Kenny finish up the halftime show and watch it through the whole dunk show. If during the halftime dunk show you see any FPS drops (bellow 58) you will get occasional FPS drops throughout the whole game, but if it stays above 58, the game will run as smooth as butter.
jay-r

Postby elsoulas on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:02 am

jay-r wrote:
I hate Mondays wrote:Jay-R, any new NVIDIA control panel changes? Have you manage to get 60 fps with MSAA set to 4 and nothing lower than 60? I have some weird moments when my fps drops if I have my MSAA set to 4. The game starts and it's all nice, after a couple of minutes I get some stutter during some random jumpshots, then after a few minutes the fps rate is good again and so on.

Still working on it. MSAA @4 as you have noticed and I noticed on the 2nd day is not totally perfect.
Actually today I am also seeing a bit of stuttering @4x now, but its definitely better. I think I might even try MSAA @2 (in game) with forced Enhanced AA through Nvidia CP somewhat similar to what Phreak50 has done

I am looking for best way to enhance AA through NVIDIA CP with in game setting of MSAA @2, which so far works great no matter what you throw at the game through Nvidia CP. MSAA @4 is not critically bad, but I don't want to settle for set of settings which causes even the slightest FPS drop and with MSAA @4 they do happen.

By the way, the best way monitor GPU/CPU USAGE + FPS is through RivaTuner Statistics Server that comes in bundle with MSI AfterBurner -> https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

and my recommendation to anyone claiming that they have found the set of settings that give you stutter-free performance -> play until the half-time and monitor FPS as soon as Ernie, Shaq, Kenny finish up the halftime show and watch it through the whole dunk show. If during the halftime dunk show you see any FPS drops (bellow 58) you will get occasional FPS drops throughout the whole game, but if it stays above 58, the game will run as smooth as butter.

That's totally correct. In the beginning everything seems OK. Today btw I cannot seem to get stutterless perfomance nomatter what.
elsoulas

Postby jay-r on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 am

By the way, its not worth playing around with Antialiasing - Transparency as it causes issues with hair as in previous nba 2k titles..

Here's an example of Antialiasing - Transparency @x4 (supersample)
jay-r

Postby jay-r on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:45 am

elsoulas wrote:That's totally correct. In the beginning everything seems OK. Today btw I cannot seem to get stutterless perfomance nomatter what.

Well I just played couple of stutter-free games with my latest set. See the updated settings in the first post.

Latest changes made:
1. in game video settings: went back to MSAA@2
2. nvidia cp: AA mode - Enhance the application setting
3. nvidia cp: AA setting - 8x.
jay-r

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:23 am

jay-r wrote:
elsoulas wrote:That's totally correct. In the beginning everything seems OK. Today btw I cannot seem to get stutterless perfomance nomatter what.

Well I just played couple of stutter-free games with my latest set. See the updated settings in the first post.

Latest changes made:
1. in game video settings: went back to MSAA@2
2. nvidia cp: AA mode - Enhance the application setting
3. nvidia cp: AA setting - 8x.

Thank you!

Edit: Thank you x 1000! I was a little bit skeptical at first because I had used MSAA x 2 with your last NVIDIA settings, and it was stuttering like hell during open crowd camera shots, as well as during other segments. Practically, for some reason MSAA set to 4 was running better than MSAA set to 2 with your former settings.
After I made those two changes which you mentioned today in my NVIDIA Control Panel, MSAA set to 2 seems to run perfectly smooth. Thank you for your research :applaud:
I Hate Mondays

Postby jay-r on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:49 pm

;)

By the way, MFAA setting (MFAA - ON) in NVIDIA CP has zero effect on nba 2k as its game engine does not recognize MFAA at all so you can easily leave it to off ;)
jay-r

Postby tjangel07 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:04 pm

It's weird how my system can max out 2K16 at 72fps with no drops but not this game.
Specs: Ryzen 3600. GTX 1070 Ti. 16gb RAM.
tjangel07

Postby jay-r on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:47 pm

jay-r wrote:;)

By the way, MFAA setting (MFAA - ON) in NVIDIA CP has zero effect on nba 2k as its game engine does not recognize MFAA at all so you can easily leave it to off ;)

^^^^^^^^
For this reason I updated Nvidia CP settings (latest change: MFAA - OFF).
jay-r

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:49 pm

jay-r wrote:;)

Done. Waiting for other updates if you find anything new! :applaud:
I Hate Mondays

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:12 am

After the new patch installed today, I can confirm with a poorer confing than you Jay-R that now the game runs smoooooothly as silk on MSAA set to 4. MSAA x 8 is still unplayable though :( But I am really glad they are making progress towards a final fix for this stupid AA problem.

I haven't changed anything from your last NVIDIA Control Panel Settings. I will wait for you to tweak some settings after this update, do your magic. I am also waiting to hear from you if you have the same smooth gameplay on MSAA x 4, and bad gameplay on MSAA x 8, to see if it is a common progress/issue.
I Hate Mondays

Postby jay-r on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:42 am

I hate Mondays wrote:After the new patch installed today, I can confirm with a poorer confing than you Jay-R that now the game runs smoooooothly as silk on MSAA set to 4. MSAA x 8 is still unplayable though :( But I am really glad they are making progress towards a final fix for this stupid AA problem. I haven't changed anything from your last NVIDIA Control Panel Settings. I will wait for you to tweak some settings after this update, do your magic. I am also waiting to hear from you if you have the same smooth gameplay on MSAA x 4, and bad gameplay on MSAA x 8, to see if it is a common progress/issue.

Yes, now after patch 1.07 MSAA x 4 (in game) is the new standard. Smooth as x 2 was before the patch. 1st post updated.

p.s. MSAA x 8 is still stuttering like Joe -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eODhO-sA9aQ
jay-r

Postby elsoulas on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:16 am

With D3D INTERNAL OPTIMISATIONS set to 0 things are almost perfect in my system. I ll post my settings soon.
elsoulas

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:17 pm

jay-r wrote:
I hate Mondays wrote:After the new patch installed today, I can confirm with a poorer confing than you Jay-R that now the game runs smoooooothly as silk on MSAA set to 4. MSAA x 8 is still unplayable though :( But I am really glad they are making progress towards a final fix for this stupid AA problem. I haven't changed anything from your last NVIDIA Control Panel Settings. I will wait for you to tweak some settings after this update, do your magic. I am also waiting to hear from you if you have the same smooth gameplay on MSAA x 4, and bad gameplay on MSAA x 8, to see if it is a common progress/issue.

Yes, now after patch 1.07 MSAA x 4 (in game) is the new standard. Smooth as x 2 was before the patch. 1st post updated.

p.s. MSAA x 8 is still stuttering like Joe -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eODhO-sA9aQ

Yeah, you said it better, MSAA x 4 performs just like X2 did, but it's not perfect. Since my last post I've discovered situations where the game would drop fps at MSAA x 4. But that was the case with MSAA set to 2.
I Hate Mondays

Postby elsoulas on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:09 am

WIDTH = 2560
HEIGHT = 1440
REFRESHRATE = 60.0
BUFFERCOUNT = 3
VSYNC = 1
DYNAMIC_VSYNC = 0
LETTERBOX = 0
UI_ASPECT = 1
CURSOR_IDLE_TIME = 5
WINDOWMODE = 0
WINDOW_X = -2147483648
WINDOW_Y = -2147483648
MSAA = 8
MSAAQUALITY = 0
SSAA = 0
REFLECTIONS = 1
MONITOR = 0
MAXANISOTROPY = 16
ALLOW_BLURRY_UI = 0
TEXTURELOD = 0
PLAYERLOD = 0
MEDIAPEOPLELOD = 0
CROWDLOD = 0
SHADERLOD = 0
EFFECTLOD = 0
COLOR_CORRECTION = 1
DEPTH_OF_FIELD = 1
SSAO = 1
ENHANCEDAA = 1
BLOOM = 1
MOTION_BLUR = 1
VOLUMETRIC_EFFECTS = 1
ALLOW_COMPUTE_SHADERS = 1
VIBRATION = 0.0
ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY = 1
FAST_TEXTURE_FORMAT_CONVERSION = 1
DYNAMIC_ENVIRONMENT_MAP = 1
JIT_SHADER_CREATE = 1

My nvidia settings are the same as Jay-r except for aa which is the default setting.
try it out yourselves now.
elsoulas

Postby timmyd on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:37 am

I am downloading created courts, however losing quality on the floor textures with these settings. Game play has improved and is perfect with the right frame rates and no lags. However, custom created courts aren't looking great anymore. Lines on the court (3 pt line, etc) are all blurry and so are the logo's.

The actual arena itself is HD without blur and edges, Fans, Side line equipment, Stanchion, Net, Backboard, Chairs/Seats.
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby blitzkriegbugz on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:02 am

Thanks for the great job guys! :D
blitzkriegbugz

Postby blitzkriegbugz on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:11 am

tried all the suggestions here but to no avail, still microstuttering like hell. lol. this is the way that worked for me. try this "low specs experience" app. google it. it does give the game a "downgraded" gfx setting, tho you can turn it back on the setting. just don't mess with the frame size in game. you'll see what i mean. just follow the instructions on youtube on how it works. it worked for me
blitzkriegbugz

Postby timmyd on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:42 am

elsoulas wrote:WIDTH = 2560
HEIGHT = 1440
REFRESHRATE = 60.0
BUFFERCOUNT = 3
VSYNC = 1
DYNAMIC_VSYNC = 0
LETTERBOX = 0
UI_ASPECT = 1
CURSOR_IDLE_TIME = 5
WINDOWMODE = 0
WINDOW_X = -2147483648
WINDOW_Y = -2147483648
MSAA = 8
MSAAQUALITY = 0
SSAA = 0
REFLECTIONS = 1
MONITOR = 0
MAXANISOTROPY = 16
ALLOW_BLURRY_UI = 0
TEXTURELOD = 0
PLAYERLOD = 0
MEDIAPEOPLELOD = 0
CROWDLOD = 0
SHADERLOD = 0
EFFECTLOD = 0
COLOR_CORRECTION = 1
DEPTH_OF_FIELD = 1
SSAO = 1
ENHANCEDAA = 1
BLOOM = 1
MOTION_BLUR = 1
VOLUMETRIC_EFFECTS = 1
ALLOW_COMPUTE_SHADERS = 1
VIBRATION = 0.0
ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY = 1
FAST_TEXTURE_FORMAT_CONVERSION = 1
DYNAMIC_ENVIRONMENT_MAP = 1
JIT_SHADER_CREATE = 1

My nvidia settings are the same as Jay-r except for aa which is the default setting.
try it out yourselves now.

how do i put in these values? in NBA 2k video settings, it doesn't give me all those options or places to put number values in.
Under NVIDIA control panel, same thing. I don't see these... but I did follow the NVIDIA Control panel settings, those worked. I want to insert these too to eliminate further issues.

How do I input these settings? where can I find them...

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby timmyd on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:43 am

blitzkriegbugz wrote:tried all the suggestions here but to no avail, still microstuttering like hell. lol. this is the way that worked for me. try this "low specs experience" app. google it. it does give the game a "downgraded" gfx setting, tho you can turn it back on the setting. just don't mess with the frame size in game. you'll see what i mean. just follow the instructions on youtube on how it works. it worked for me

Thanks! I'll give that a shot as well. How does the game look and feel with this?

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby blitzkriegbugz on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:59 am

timmyd wrote:
blitzkriegbugz wrote:tried all the suggestions here but to no avail, still microstuttering like hell. lol. this is the way that worked for me. try this "low specs experience" app. google it. it does give the game a "downgraded" gfx setting, tho you can turn it back on the setting. just don't mess with the frame size in game. you'll see what i mean. just follow the instructions on youtube on how it works. it worked for me

Thanks! I'll give that a shot as well. How does the game look and feel with this?

the gfx feels a bit stale. or maybe it's just placebo. but the framerate greatly improved. On my end, i only have a gtx 750ti, not that great of a card. tho i can play nba 2k17 at constant60fps. my frame size is @1600x900, crowd low, media people 0, textures medium, player detail and shaders high. i also find reflections a bit gfx heavy, so i turned it off. I have constant 60fps on these using Low Specs Experience. Not using the app, my framerate dips from 50-60 which is hell. with the app running, same settings, i got constant 60s. Can imagine it working wonders on high end gfx cards.
blitzkriegbugz

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K17