Help NovU choosing between the Console: PS or Xbox

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Help NovU choosing between the Console: PS or Xbox

Postby NovU on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:04 pm

I guess eventually most of us will go through this or already have, but I didn't even realize I don't game no more as life got more hectic. But recently I was able to create bit more time and space for myself alone so I am considering to buy a console for LIGHT gaming experience and nothing too heavy. Games that I am interested right now are Fallout 4 and NBA 2k17. Since you guys are experts, feel free to advise me on console selection.

I am not really interested in the latest technology but will play on 32' 1080p TV before going to sleep in bed so I don't need that Xbone S or PS Pro or VR.

Help me choosing the winner, I haven't paid no attention at all to the gen so anything helps:

- Network: psn or ms online?
- Affordability: upkeep cost for online/games/etc
- Exclusive titles: gears of war over uncharted?
- Reliability: red ring of death or blue screen?
- Online Community: laggy? system
- Menu Screen: which is easier to navigate? Design?
- Tech Spec: cpu, vid card, performance etc
- etc.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Re: Help NovU choosing between the Console: PS or Xbox

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Well, if online is a factor, seems PS4 is a bit more popular in our community, when it comes to NBA 2K17. I certainly don't regret going with Sony this generation. No technical problems so far, PS+ is pretty good value with its free games and annual cost, and overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:13 pm

I've had a playstation since the ps1 so naturally iam going to say get a ps4.

For what's it's worth also on FB buy and sell there are always people selling xbox one's and say in the Ad "looking for £££ or will swap for ps4"

Speaks volume imo.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Lamrock on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:05 am

It's pretty much a wash in most of the categories you listed. I have a PS4 and I have no regrets about it, though I'd like to play Forza. Xbox Live is a bit better than PSN, but PSN gets game patches way quicker. Neither console has amazing exclusives - I'd like to play some of the Xbox's, but grass is always greener. XBox One has some backwards compatibility if that matters, whereas PS4 doesn't. PS4 has better specs across the board, XBOne is a bit better if you're making this your default media center. I've had my PS4 for almost two years, and the only issue I've had is the rubber wearing off both of my controllers' analog sticks.

As someone who owns both 2K17 and Fallout 4 on PS4, I'll say both games run well on the console. All in all, I'd recommend the PS4, but I don't think you'd go wrong with either.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:29 am

The only exclusives I feel I'm missing out on are on Nintendo, since I grew up with the brand. Unless you're particularly passionate about a certain Microsoft or Sony exclusive, you're probably not going to miss out on the best games the platform has to offer, because the big titles are available on both. Even Rise of the Tomb Raider turned out to be a timed exclusive.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Bought a PS4 way back. No regrets whatsoever. Nostalgia does seem to be a big part on why I picked it since I have all the play station consoles.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:48 pm

PS4. All the cool kids have it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:25 am

Get the Nintendo Switch.

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby NovU on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Thx for the inputs guys.

I also have been a PS owner from 1 to 3. In post SNES era, always thought PS was way to go.

was also gonna consider Nintendo but looking at that Switch, lol, I am thinking naw.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Sauru on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:29 pm

the switch is the only console to me thats worth it. the xbox and ps4 are just basic pc's. the switch is at least different.

however with that said they just announced red dead redemption 2 and that wont hit the pc for a long time so i guess the xbox and ps4 have some use. i went with the ps4 over the xbox for no other reason other than i liked the controller better. i think they are close enough where you cant go wrong either way
Sauru

Postby NovU on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:46 pm

I dunno what I just did or I guess I am a rebel. I went against NLSC's beloved console and got a Xbox 1 S 500gb. :oops:

Thought I might as well try 4k gaming since price of S and ps4 is on par.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Isn't "S" just "Slim" version with almost identical performance as original XBone?
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:17 pm

I was under the impression both new versions were 4K capable versions
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:03 pm

Xbox One S is capable of 4K video playback, games are upscaled to 4K from their native rendering resolution (which 4K displays can do on their own as well).

The Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Pro claim to be 4K capable in games. PS4 Pro uses checkerboard interpolation (read as "not native 4K") and with Scorpio all we got so far is "6 TFLOPS" of performance, which on it's own means very little. For comparison it's roughly equal to AMD's RX 480.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby NovU on Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:07 am

I thought ps4 pro wasnt gonna support 4k gaming.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Book_Gazette on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:45 am

XBOX ONE, better buy, better community
Book_Gazette

Postby benji on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:12 pm

The Xbox One S improves performance slightly because its GPU is higher clocked. It also improves performance quite a bit in 360 games which was a nice surprise.

The PS4 Pro only improves performance in those games patched for it and only does 4K gaming in those that are designed for it. (It'll all be upscaled because nobody is going to render a proper 2160p frame on that outdated GPU. It'll be the same for Scorpio. How many AAA games did 1080p/60 last gen? 720p/60?)

Since you're on a 1080p screen anyway you won't be 4K gaming in the first place. The consoles won't output higher than your resolution and have your TV downscale. It'll just downsample internally.

From the leaks about games that have already been patched for PS4 Pro like Titanfall 2, they are no longer rendering at dynamic resolutions as often since there's more overhead to do a full 1080p frame.

We won't know more until the embargo lifts on Monday.

Theoretically, Scorpio may actually have some games that push 4K legitimately as Microsoft is reportedly considering allowing select exclusives on it. It'd probably look like garbage when downgraded for the PS4/Xbone so I doubt anyone would do it otherwise. And you'd really be pushing even Scorpio's hypothetical output to do a full frame rather than one or more of the upscaling methods.

I personally would have gone with the Xbone S right now, it's adorable. PS4 and PS4 Pro are ugly. And the console ecosystem is such that like the last days of the 360/PS3 era I'm not sure one is definitively superior. Plus I prefer the Microsoft controller.

The correct answer is a 1060 6GB or even a 1050 Ti.
benji

Postby NovU on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:32 am

Thx for the great advice benji, after I already bought the system.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Return to Off-Topic