Finishing Video Games

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Finishing Video Games

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 pm

I've recently gone back and completed some unfinished business in NBA 2K12, clearing the NBA's Greatest games that I didn't get around to finishing back in the day. I'm currently doing the same thing with the Jordan Challenge in NBA 2K11. It's something to do while I wait for NBA 2K17, and also something to write about for my weekly Wayback Wednesday feature.

However, it got me thinking about finishing video games, and going back to finish games I've never been able to complete. There's always that sense of satisfaction, especially when you finally finish a game you've had for years. Anyway, since most of us play games apart from basketball titles - although I suppose since I've mentioned them, they'd also count for this topic - I thought I'd throw a couple of questions out there, as part of my initiative to jumpstart some more discussion around these parts.

What was the first game you finished?
What are some of the games you never finished, but want to?

I have a feeling that the first game I finished was probably Defender of the Crown for NES, or possibly Return to Zork. If you count using cheats, which you really shouldn't of course, Doom 2 would be one of the first as well. Return to Zork was also an official hint book job, while Defender of the Crown relied on a couple of hints from one of those "How to win at Nintendo" books. When it comes to games I finished by myself, aside from discussing strategies with friends of course, that'd probably be Donkey Kong Country 2.

As far as games I've never finished and want to...definitely a few of the GTA games. I was close to finishing Vice City, but I ended up losing the save. I'm probably about two third of the way through San Andreas, still very early on in Vice City Stories (I really don't like the empire building stuff in that one), and not very far through IV or V. They've all been situations where I've gotten stuck, frustrated, put the games aside, and then ended up picking up other games and seldom gone back to for some time. And then in some cases, gotten stuck again.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Finishing Video Games

Postby el badman on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:20 am

I really can't recall the 1st game I ever finished (would probably be around the golden times of the Amiga 500, so...yea...), and I always make it a point to finish whatever game I start, however there's been a few exceptions, that I would necessarily mind finishing at some point:

Alien: Isolation
DOOM (the reboot, bored me to tears)
Watch Dogs
Back To The Future (the Telltale series)
This War Of Mine
Kentucky Route Zero (I re-installed that one recently to force myself to finish it)
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby jenz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:49 am

I finished both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

I never really got to finish Skyrim. I sure hope I get the time to pick it up again some time. Being employed really sucks. :lol:
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:27 pm

The first game I recall I finished was Ultraman on the Game Boy. Something I started but never finished (and is still installed for years now) is Dragon Age 2.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:32 pm

I don't think I've ever 100% finished a game. I missed one scan on Metroid Prime and one side mission on Far Cry 4 (which became impossible to complete after finishing the story mode, leaving me stuck). I think those are the only two where I've actually made the effort; mostly I'll just finish up the main story and move on.

In terms of just the story, though...I'm still stuck on the last boss of Metroid Prime 2 (not that I've touched it in years). Luigi's Mansion took about four years, and I have no idea where I'm up to in Metroid Prime 3. Currently in the middle of Tomb Raider, so I'm not going to count that.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm trying to think if I've finished a game with 100% completion (aside from stuff like LucasArts adventure games, where you basically do so by default). I'm pretty close in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, but not quite there. Probably the WWE games on PS2, with all their unlockables.

Oh, of course! The Donkey Kong Country series on SNES. Specifically 101%, 102%, and 103% completion respectively. For years I was two Kremcoins short in DKC2, as I could never figure out where the two bonus barrels were in Web Woods, and my friends never figured it out either. It turns out that we were on the right track, but man, it's a contrived puzzle. I also found out years later than DKC3 has a maximum of 105% completion, if you use the code that disables the halfway checkpoint barrels. I haven't done that yet.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:02 pm

I also wanted to complete Super Mario 64's 120 stars but I think I only got enough to enter Bowser's final stage.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:58 pm

At least you can get up the endless stairs legitimately!

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:49 pm

You know, the endless stairs haunted me during my childhood. :? Especially Bowser's portrait at the end of the stairs after you get the 70th star.

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:06 pm

The last game I finished completely I think was Final Fantasy X, over 15 years ago.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby jenz on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:57 pm

Lean wrote:The first game I recall I finished was Ultraman on the Game Boy. Something I started but never finished (and is still installed for years now) is Dragon Age 2.

The gameplay of DA2 is quite nice. Story is fine. I was just confused as my character suddenly became homosexual. :lol:
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Lean on Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:42 pm

I stopped at Act 1 :lol: , and I was hoping to complete this then start Inquisition so that there's one continuity to be used.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Stress Fracture on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:57 pm

First finished Super Mario Land on the Game Boy, then Spyro 3, Chocobo Racing, and Twisted Metal 4 on the PS1.

GTA V is almost finished.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Axel on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:04 am

First game? Super Mario World on the SNES. Also beat Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars a million times and collected every rare item except for the Attack Scarf and Super Suit.

phpBB [video]

Still have no idea how anyone can actually do this. I wasted so much time trying.
Axel

Postby benji on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:57 pm

EGA TREK

ALL OF THEM

100%ed all kinds of 16-bit shit. Many Metroid and its spin-offs, Metroidvania, Batman: Arkham, etc. Though like koberulz I missed one scan in the first Metroid Prime, there's one that's behind you in the tutorial level that you can never return to.

Last game I finished based on achievements to remind me was Game Dev Tycoon though it doesn't have a "real" ending like stuff. So...Everyday Genius Square Logic technically. Doom 1: Episode 1 when I replayed it last year. 10000000 on both android and steam. Batman: Arkham Origins. Saints Row IV.

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, but not close to 100%.

Start too much and move on before done. Even in 2K, this year I started four associations, all got to the end of November and started a new one lol
benji

Postby Sauru on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:54 am

damn first game i finished? that would be adventure. damn that was a long time ago.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:25 am

Just remembered that the original Leisure Suit Larry was one of the earliest games I finished, and possibly one of the first that I finished without a walkthrough, just figuring it out between myself and my friends. And playing it in secret, since my Dad wasn't keen on an 11 year old being exposed to such filthy pixels. :lol:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:03 pm

I don't remember the first game I finished, but it may have been Topgun: Fire At Will on the PC (a 1990s game). There's a dozen games I haven't finished, but would like to. Mount & Blade is one of them, I seem to always just capture fiefs and then establish a solid force in Calradia, but I've never conquered it. Game's like it are left unfinished because of a great deal of interest I have had in later releases for different games. Yesterday I finished Dark Souls 3, and am waiting for the DLC to be released.
Cpt(K)

Postby Lamrock on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:47 am

I think the first game I was actually able to finish without cheats was the first Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Managed to finish a bunch of video games this Summer since I didn't have classes, but I'd still like to finish Talos Principle and The Crew.
Lamrock

Postby NovU on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:49 pm

My first ever completed game goes way back to DOS age. Takes about 10-15 min to beat but...
phpBB [video]

I think the last game I beat was GTA5. Ofc not 100% completion but I mean getting to an ending scene when I say beat.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Made a much better movie than a game, in my opinion. Still, good stuff. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic