How Often Do You Double-Dip With Video Games?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

How Often Do You Double-Dip With Video Games?

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:15 pm

The last few years, I've double-dipped with the PC and PlayStation 4 versions of NBA 2K. It's not the first time I've double-dipped with basketball games, or video games in general. In fact, I've actually bought Fallout 3 three times: originally on Xbox 360, the Game of the Year Edition when I bought a new PC in 2009, and the Steam version when it was on sale for a few bucks, just so that I could go digital and not have to pop in the disc every time. It's certainly not something that I do with every game, and usually only for specific reasons, such as when WWE 2K has had a later PC release. Has anyone else bought the same game on multiple platforms from time to time?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: How Often Do You Double-Dip With Video Games?

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:01 pm

NBA 2K15 was the only time I ever did. Otherwise, I've exclusively gone with PC or console individually for specific games.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:18 am

Only did it myself with nba live from 04-08 when I had a PC that was worth running it on.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:29 am

If the HD remake of GTA V counts, I got the PC version after originally getting the 360 version. I also did the same for GTA 4. I have been double dipping 2K on PC and 360/ps4 since 2009. I probably won't be doing it anymore, though. I also got Max Payne for android years after it originally released on PC. I think when Red Dead Redemption comes to PS4, I will double dip again, since I have it on 360.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:25 am

Ah yes, I did that with GTA V as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby el badman on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:22 am

GTA V as well here, I think that was the only one.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby koberulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Picked up the Arkham series on PC originally, but I don't really game on my PC much - and it's not that great for gaming - so I double-dipped on Origins and will pick up the remastered collection when it comes out later in the year (or at some point down the line; I'm not really in a rush).

Don't think I've ever done it outside of that though. Been thinking about doing it with Rocket League, just so I can use the trainer mod on PC, but then I got it for free the first time around.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby benji on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:59 pm

I have double dipped on the same platform. For Steam support.
benji

Postby Sauru on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:55 am

GTA V has been the only game i have bought twice and i can promise it will never happen again. i sold all my consoles as they were nothing but netflix players for me. such a waste of money
Sauru

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:11 pm

The only games I've double dipped with are TES:V Skyrim (originally had it only on PS3, but after seeing the huge modding community . . . well), Dark Souls 2 (Black Armor Edition on PS3, which had no DLC and then Scholar of the First Sin on PS4, which included all the DLC), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (originally only on PS3, but yearned for it on PC when it was re-released), Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (PS2 first and then PC) and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Initially only on PC, but then bought it on PS3).

I really don't regret any of these purchases. The console version of Blacklist had local-coop support, which the PC version lacked. Dark Arisen's framerate was atrocious on consoles, and was magnificently eliminated on the much better PC release. Star Wars Battlefront 2 on PC has awesome mods, and similarly the PC version of Skyrim is far superior than its console counterpart. Pretty much if a feature was left out on one of the releases, and was present in another I repurchased accordingly. (Y)
Cpt(K)

Return to Off-Topic