Creating Cyberfaces

Discussion about NBA Live 2003.

Creating Cyberfaces

Postby MarfredC on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 am

Hello guys, can you help me with a tutorial on how to make a cyberface...?
MarfredC

Re: Bojan Bogdanovic cyberface

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:50 am

Please don't bump two year old threads to ask questions like that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby MarfredC on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Sorry Andrew but I really wanna continue to update the game and it seems that you don't want to help me either on Cyberface or any kind of tutorial, so i'll keep asking until someone help me, i'm not doing nothing wrong, i just wanna continue the job done, thanks
MarfredC

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Yes, you are doing something wrong. You don't get to decide that you're not, or what is appropriate. I suggest that you read the rules about bumping old threads, and posting the same question in multiple threads.

Please also realise that not everyone has the same knowledge, and you're asking about a game that is fourteen years old; in other words, well past its modding heyday. Not many people are playing or patching this game anymore. Files and resources have been lost, and 99.9% of people have moved on.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby MarfredC on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks for answering, i get what you're saying but you don't think that the reason what you're saying "they move on" is because U guys are not sharing?, that's logic if U keep the knowledge for Urself obviously no one is gonna learn anything more about this game..now a question, the same thing happen in Live 08?, because i've been reading your answer about CF and stuff but i'm a newbie and i don't know where to start, U could help me or guide me about it because i wanna help, that's all, what's wrong with that?..
MarfredC

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:17 am

There's nothing wrong with wanting to mod an old game, or asking for help. However, there is a wrong way to go about it, and making the same post in multiple threads asking for help, and bumping a bunch of old topics, is the wrong to go about it.

Notice that this thread is almost two years old, and the person who started it has not logged in for over a year. They aren't active, and as such, they are unlikely to answer your question. Therefore, there's no good reason to bump this thread, or ask for help in it. You're not going to get the answers you're after by doing so, and bumping old threads without good cause is not good Forum etiquette.

Generally speaking, with a game this old, you've got to be very, very patient when asking for help, because most of the people who were making patches for it aren't doing so anymore, and in many cases, aren't around to help out or answer questions anymore either. Posting the same question all over the Forum is not going to make people reply quicker, and it's just going to make it more difficult for people to reply, because you've started the conversation in a lot of places. It's also somewhat annoying because it comes across as impatient and pushy, which makes people less likely to want to help.

That's why one post is sufficient: it's putting the request out there, and if there is anyone still around who has the time and knowledge to help out, they can respond to that one post, instead of trying to have the conversation in multiple threads. That just gets confusing for everyone, because the conversation is taking place across several different threads.

The same thing is happening in the NBA Live 08 section. There's less and less activity, because more people are playing one of the NBA 2K games these days. NBA Live 2003 is even older though, so there are even fewer people around who are having anything to do with it. I'm personally able to answer more questions about NBA Live 08 because I've done a bit more work with the art files for that game, and my work on that game is much more recent.

It's great that you want to contribute to the community, but again, you've got to follow the Forum rules, and be patient when you're dealing with one of the older games, because not a lot of people are frequenting this section anymore, and a lot of the people who did back in the day are no longer actively posting or browsing the Forum. Hopefully some old resources can be tracked down or some people can answer your question, but it might take a while. In the meantime, the one post you've made asking for help is sufficient. Please do not bump any more old release threads of people who are no longer around. They're not going to see it, so they're not going to be able to help you.

For now, all I can do is point at the tutorials that are still there in the Forum, and also in the Wiki. I can take a look and see if I have ize's video tutorial somewhere, but I don't think that I ever downloaded it, so it's probably lost at this juncture. Note that ize hasn't logged in since 2013, so he's probably not going to be able to help either. That's what I was getting at before; a lot of the people who can answer the questions aren't around anymore to ask.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby MarfredC on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:04 am

Now this is an explenation!, really happy for this, i mean it, because now i know when, how and who i can ask about it, for example, Live 08..you mention it Wiki, but there's a thing that Wiki doesn't explain to me and that's how am i going to extract a headshape, how am i gonna get .fsh file or even .viv file, i don't know where to start about and i need a clear tutorial about making a CF's to start to contribute, thanks a lot, i really mean it..
MarfredC

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:20 am

I'm glad you said that also, as that's something that we can add in there somewhere, as it's important basic info.

In the meantime though, the EA Graphics Editor can be used to extract shape and texture files from the .viv files. That's basically just a matter of opening the .viv file with EAGE, finding the file you want to export, and clicking the export button in the toolbar. The nice thing is, once you've edited one of those files, you don't even need to re-import it; you can just place it in a custom art folder. More information on that: http://www.nba-live.com/nbalivewiki/index.php?title=Guide_to_Installing_Patches_(NBA_Live_2003_%26_NBA_Live_2004)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby MarfredC on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks Andrew for this info, i would try to follow the instructions and ask you if any doubt pops in the road of making a CF's, for example, this guide that you link me, is only for Live 03/04 or also works for Live 08?, thanks...
MarfredC

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:04 am

As per the title, that guide is for installing patches for NBA Live 2003 and NBA Live 2004. NBA Live 2005-08 have a slightly different method, which has its own tutorial in the Wiki. Generally speaking, guides for NBA Live 2003 and NBA Live 2004 do not apply to later games (especially NBA Live 08), but that's something that a specific guide will usually indicate. Or be apparent, if it refers to files/values that don't exist in a particular game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby MarfredC on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:46 am

Hi Andrew, here is my steps on Trying to make a CF's, correct me if i'm wrong..

First: Open my EAGE, open a xplayer.viv, select my "player", save as a folder with my created player, let say "Krporsi" for Kristaps Porzingis.

Second: Open Photoshop and do my thing with a Porzingis Picture, then save it as bmp picture.... then what?..

because i don't know how it works the DB Commander and also in eache player folder like example "Aabrook", inside that there's Loda files and .fsh files,...

Question, how am i gonna get this loda and fsh files?..
MarfredC

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:20 am

I don't do much work with faces, so I can't really go into detail. Essentially, you extract the necessary .fsh and shape files using EAGE. Rename them accordingly (eg KRPORZI). Modify the .fsh texture in your image software of choice. Then follow the instructions in the link I posted before to place it in a CustomArt folder, so that the game can load it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Creating Cyberfaces

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:22 am

Also, I've gone ahead and split these posts off into a new topic, since it's unrelated to the old release thread.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Creating Cyberfaces

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:57 am

I've had a look through my archives, and unfortunately I can't seem to find ize's cyberface tutorial. However, I have found an all-in-one tutorial pack for NBA Live 2004 (and updated the link in our Downloads section accordingly), which is also largely applicable to NBA Live 2004. The steps for editing textures remain the same, and the instructions for installing patches mostly still apply as well; just replace "NBA Live 2004" with "NBA Live 2003", and the paths are all correct, as far as I can recall: All-in-One Tutorials Package

ize's jersey tutorial is still available, too: NBA Live 2003 Jersey Tutorial
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 2003