Nintendo releasing NES Classic

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Nintendo releasing NES Classic

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:07 am

NES Classic Edition

The NES Classic Edition system is a miniaturized version of the groundbreaking NES, originally released in 1985.

Just plug the NES Classic Edition into your TV, pick up that gray controller, and rediscover the joy of NES games.

The games:

Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

That's a pretty good selection, though it's a shame Castlevania III isn't included, as I feel that's the best of the NES trilogy. Tempted to pick it up at some point; it'd be easier than pulling out my NES and setting it up again when I'm in the mood for some really retro gaming, and far more portable besides.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Nintendo releasing NES Classic

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:43 pm

My #1 favorite game of all time is SMB3. I had the Nintendo Power magazine that showed you all of the secrets and I still remember most of them today.
Double Dragon II was also one of my favorites on NES and is perhaps the best side-scrolling beat em up on the NES
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Double Dragon II is the best of that trilogy, I'd agree. Mario 3 is one of my all-time favourites as well, though I've only ever finished it on the SNES (via Mario All-Stars).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:11 am

this would need a lot more games for me to buy it. i am talking like almost the entire library because i can just hope online and play any game i want right now for free. i would be willing to support it but not with only 30 games
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:39 am

The limited library definitely makes it a bit more of a novelty than a serious retro gaming device. I suppose they don't want to eat into their Virtual Console sales too much. Latest reports have confirmed that the library won't be updated pre- or post-release, either.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:10 am

No Contra?

Cmon now.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:27 am

Yeah, an unusual decision to include Super C over Contra. As I said before, I'd also take Castlevania III over Castlevania II.

Meanwhile, it's sold out and no longer available here in Australia, so moot point I guess.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:58 pm

i disagree there. castlevania 2 was my favorite one personally. however like i said they needed to put most of the library in this or its not worth it imo
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:13 pm

I tend to agree with James Rolfe (his actual opinion, not the Nerd's) when it comes to Castlevania II, but that's just my take. Anyway, overall it's a great trilogy of games, so while I'd prefer III over II, I'd be all for getting all three in there.

I assume licensing is a possible stumbling block here, but if nothing else, they probably don't want to hurt sales on the virtual console.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:05 am

So, EB Games was taking pre-orders on a second shipment earlier this week - online only - but their site couldn't handle the load. Looks like re-sellers were able to get their hands on them though, as they're going for quite a lot on eBay Australia.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:48 am

Kind of annoying that scalpers are buying them for 60 and selling them for 300 or 400. I understood it when they were doing it for the wii because that was new but gotdamn this is a fancy nes emulator!

I'd be even more angry if I actually wanted one

Walmart is doing releases this week at 2pm each day online to let others have a chance at getting them
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 am

They were going for $100 AUS for the console, and $19.95 apiece for the AC adapter and second controller. Having to buy the AC adapter separately is a bit rich, too. Better than what they're being scalped for, I suppose.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic