WWE 2K

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: WWE 2K16 on PC

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:45 am

Hall of Fame Showcase was fun to play through. Going to have to play through the Austin one again sometime.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:36 pm

I forgot AJ Styles wasn't in the game. That one that he created looks spot-on
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

WWE 2K17

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:24 am

So, we know that Goldberg's in the game.

phpBB [video]

"Suplex City" sign reflected in the window at 1:09.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: WWE 2K17

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Hopefully the biggest omission (the 4 horsewomen) will make it in this year. Would be cool to see Shane return or have a 2016 Shane
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Oznogrd on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 am

Goldberg being in isnt a bad thing. I just hope they dont bring him back for a match against Triple H at wrestlemania 33
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby Lean on Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 am

I'm playing this mainly because of MyCareer. My character is now on his third year, having won the NXT title and keeping it for a year before moving to the main roster and winning the US title. He's been on several matches with Cena until one time he got put through a table via Last Ride Powerbomb, turning my character heel in the process. :|

So now my character has won the Royal Rumble and is on a feud with the Rock and Brock Lesnar (who's the champion) heading to WrestleMania.

My character looks like me, too.

Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby formx on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:36 am

He looks like the third Uso

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:23 am

Good likeness! Better than I've managed to do in NBA 2K16 without a face scan. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:38 pm

:lol: To be fair: they've got a face photo import system. The problem is you have to log in outside of the game to upload your files and then download it in-game. You will then mold your head model to match the face although not as profound as with Fallout 3. My character looks exactly like me straight up and from the side, but on quarters, not so much.

The logo on the shirt is also a custom one, done in the same manner as with the face photo.

So far I'm enjoying MyCareer, not the best but it's a great improvement over last year's. I hope next year you get to have at least a generic promo in-ring just to add to the immersiveness, and voiced NPCs too, aside from Renee Young.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:33 pm

I actually haven't touched MyCAREER the past couple of years, but I might have to give it a try.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:34 am

What I hate about MyCareers is that you start over every year. :(

I love this year's game, especially the limited counters. Last year, my brother and I played a one-on-one match and we're basically just waiting for somebody to strike or grapple as we already figured out the counters timings. :|

My character is now the WWE World Heavyweight Champion after a very anti-climactic WrestleMania main event against Brock and The Rock (I let the two slug it out then just hit steel chairs to up my momentum, then threw Brock out of the ring and hit my character's sit-out spinebuster and pinned him with it, the match only had a three-star rating, :lol: )

Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:43 am

You're getting that Reigns booking. :lol:

Having to start over every year in MyCAREER is frustrating. I wrote a Monday Tip-Off article about that in regards to NBA 2K a couple of weeks back, and I imagine similar reasons make it likewise painful in WWE 2K as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:04 pm

phpBB [video]

NXT edition. Interesting move. will these 3 characters be exclusive or will they be paid DLC for regular editions?

and SHINSUKE!!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:44 pm

Assuming there's a PC version with all the DLC again, I'm thinking I might wait this time around, and get that when it's on sale.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:00 pm

I think some of Shinsuke's signature moves are in 2K16: Good Vibrations and Boma Ye to name a few.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:22 am

Some hands-on impressions

Better responsiveness is good, the ability to perform a post-match beatdown is a nice touch if you want to play the heel full-tilt. Nothing about the often cheap AI though, which remains my biggest frustration with recent WWE games.

I'll likely go ahead and pre-order, though I'm not sure I'll double-dip on PC in a few month's time, unless I really like the game and there's some good DLC that'd be cheaper to pick up in the form of a "definitive" PC version.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Gameplay trailer.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:15 pm

You beat me to it!

I like how the game is already outdated with the brand split and new arenas for both shows, which is understandable given the time the brand split was done. Yet I wish that the devs would give time and create updates for the game.

Also, I don't like the "2K" on Brock's shorts.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:21 pm

So last time I visited the Community Creations page and downloaded a few arenas plus the new titles for Raw and Smackdown. After I assigned the new titles to the Superstars, the game crashed. When I ran it again, it said that the save file is corrupted and I cannot continue if I don't overwrite it with a new one. So I did just that, and it erased EVERYTHING I DID WITH THE GAME. Including my created wrassler and his career.

I tried restoring it using the save I manually backed up a month ago, and the game still recognized it as corrupted so I had no choice but to continue with a re-formatted game. I created a new "me" for MyCareer and went on to start again in NXT, but after the first tryout match with Enzo Amore, the game said "save game failed" and turned my character into the base create-a-superstar model with no name and gear. I went back to the main menu, and the game just re-formatted itself again when the "save game failed" notice came up in MyCareer.

I then went ahead and uninstalled it from Steam.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:13 pm

It's unfortunate, but inevitable giving how late in the development cycle the brand split came into effect. It would've been nice if it could've been somehow accounted for, but they've got their deadlines, after all.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't blame you. That's rough. (N)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:46 am

Copy arrived today, just downloading the 11 GB Day 1 patch. Jeez.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:44 pm

I hope that patch includes fixed entrances for those wrestlers that have horrendously mo-capped entrances *cough* Sasha Banks *cough*
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Finally got around to playing the game today. A few initial impressions:

GOOD

• Gameplay is very fun for the most part. It's possible to have some good back and forth for some epic matches.
  • Being able to attack during entrances and deliver post-match beatdowns is awesome.
  • Some of the random run-ins really make it feel like a WWE show. While trying to beatdown Sheamus with Brock Lesnar after winning a match, Undertaker ran in, chokeslammed him and delivered the Tombstone. I could've fought him off, but I kind of just let it happen, as it felt more fun, and reminded me of their feud last year.
  • Run-ins can happen on both sides during the same match. Managers and run-ins can help out with timely distractions, and can also get ejected.
  • The presentation is probably the best it's ever been, from entrances to title match introductions and camera cuts.
  • The expanded Creations and editing suite is fantastic. The only thing missing is Create-a-Finisher.
  • They've taken an old school approach to unlockables, where you purchase them with in-game currency, in any order you like.
  • You're given 200,000 VC right out of the gate to unlock a few things. With a five star rating, you can earn up to around 9000 VC for a single match.
  • It's a pretty deep and comprehensive roster of current wrestlers, and big names from the 80s and 90s.
  • You can have multiple managers, which is cool for a stable like the Wyatt Family.
  • Incidentally, when you pick another member of the Wyatt family and have the rest of the stable accompany him, Bray leads them to the ring. Again, there's a lot of authenticity in the presentation.

BAD

• AI is still very cheap at times. It's possible to beat the hell out of your opponent, only to have them kick out, come back, hit a couple of moves and their finisher, and be left in a situation where it's virtually impossible to kick out (and you probably won't). They also escape submission holds rather easily. You'll suffer some ridiculous losses this way.
  • There' seems to be an issue when you back out to the title screen from the main menu and the game has trouble connecting to the server, which results in the main menu taking ages to load. Because it's easy enough to back out too far when navigating the menus, it's rather annoying.
  • Still no importing of custom music for created wrestlers. It could be to avoid licensing issues at this point, especially in terms of getting the files into the game, but I do miss it. The selection of generic music is OK, but still not great.
  • Aside from the wrestlers walking across the screen, the main menu isn't very visually appealing. It's a fairly clean design and easy to use (the aforementioned issue aside), but it looks kind of...beta? Placeholder? Plain? It's not a huge deal, but it's not quite up to the rest of the presentation.

IN THE MIDDLE/OTHER OBSERVATIONS

• The lack of a Showcase this year makes the game a little light on single player modes. There's WWE Universe and MyCAREER, which should satisfy most people and be fun enough, but it feels like there should be a bit more.
  • It's a shame the brand split happened too late to be reflected in the game, though you could certainly set it up in WWE Universe, especially with the Create-a-Championship function.
  • There's an option for "Gameplay Manual" in the main menu that just tells you to check out the full manual online. To me that feels pretty useless, but I guess it's a handy reminder for anyone who doesn't realise they can find it there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:53 pm

What a great roster of wrestlers. Seeming perfect minus Owen Hart. Cool to see the whole Hart Foundation together, plus Nattie & Kidd. Plus, you can finally play as Bret vs Goldberg and give him a mule kick for revenge. Also, cool to see Curtis Axel able to be teamed up with his father Mr. Perfect who was one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. 01 Jericho is a nice touch who was also one of my favorites.

As much as 2K loves to get the little details in the game, some entrances were mostly right with a few minor differences, probably due to animation limitations or simply just how they mo capped it. I read TJ Perkins actually did some of the mo cap for them, so maybe they'll have his moves in the game? Maybe a DLC down the line? I could see them doing a Cruiserweight DLC
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic