GTX 1080

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

GTX 1080

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed May 18, 2016 2:33 am

The reviews are out today. Sounds like it didn't live up to the crazy media hype but it's still a powerful card. Looks like it may be better to get custom cards from other manufacturers like EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte (my personal favorite), etc. So any of you looking to get one? I'm not gonna lie. The temptation is there.

But, following up my thread about giving up or slowing down gaming, instead of doing the extreme of giving up games completely, I've instead slowed it down and downgraded my PC gaming setup in the meantime. That means back to 1080P gaming instead of the unreliable and inconsistent Ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio, posted both my Ultrawide monitor and my other Gigabyte 980ti on ebay, and enjoy glorious 1080P, 144hz gaming with a single GPU. No more issues with SLI or lack thereof from certain games and my PC runs a lot cooler now. I bought Doom 2016 for $35 from CDKeys for the SP only and the game is old school fun. I'm glad I went with this route as I don't think I can ever give up gaming completely.

Anyway, if my habits don't change in a couple of years, I may look into upgrading again. Hopefully by that time, the tech will be even better and we'll be able to run games in 4K, over 100FPS, with a single GPU setup.
Izzy Snow

Re: GTX 1080

Postby JaoSming on Wed May 18, 2016 2:44 am

What was inconsistent with 21:9? Games that don't support it just black bar the edges making it no different than any other monitor or console game
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed May 18, 2016 4:30 am

JaoSming wrote:What was inconsistent with 21:9? Games that don't support it just black bar the edges making it no different than any other monitor or console game

Yeah that's it. Games that don't support it especially AAA titles like most recently Gears of War UE, Quantum Break, Forza 6 which are all 3 W10 UWP games, SFV, Metal Gear Solid, etc. just to name a few. It may not be a big deal for you but it is for me and others. I had to bug the crap out of your team at 2K to get proper support for NBA 2K16! It wasn't until 2BG finally helped bring it up to the devs that 21:9 support was added which I will say was added quickly after the game released.

Anyway, I feel no regrets "downgrading." My Asus VG248QE is still an awesome 1080P monitor.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 am

It's not in my budget to do so right now. I'm in a similar situation to you though, I'm happy gaming with the PC I've got at the moment, the visual experience being more than satisfactory for now.

Since I got my new PC last year, I guess I have become a little more interested in seeing the games I'm playing maxed out and looking as good as they can be. At the same time though, I'm more concerned about how the game resonates with me, how much I'm enjoying actually playing it. Top notch graphics don't mean much if the gameplay and other elements don't have me hooked, and it's an area I don't mind a game coming up short in if the rest of the experience delivers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed May 18, 2016 12:48 pm

Andrew wrote:It's not in my budget to do so right now. I'm in a similar situation to you though, I'm happy gaming with the PC I've got at the moment, the visual experience being more than satisfactory for now.

Since I got my new PC last year, I guess I have become a little more interested in seeing the games I'm playing maxed out and looking as good as they can be. At the same time though, I'm more concerned about how the game resonates with me, how much I'm enjoying actually playing it. Top notch graphics don't mean much if the gameplay and other elements don't have me hooked, and it's an area I don't mind a game coming up short in if the rest of the experience delivers.

For real man it's weird how I my gaming habits and preferences has changed. I used to be such a graphics whore and didn't accept games that ran in only 30 FPS. Now I'm amazed at games like Destiny and The Division which on consoles, went with the decision to use higher textures/30fps vs lower textures/60fps. Graphics aside, like you said, it has to get me hooked at the gameplay first and then impress me with graphics second. Prime example is Doom on PC. Having fun with it on PC and the graphics are definitely next-gen.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Wed May 18, 2016 1:12 pm

The more advances we saw, the more we wanted to see gaming technology pushed even further. When it gets to the point where improvements are minor, or a game doesn't have cutting edge graphics (but they're still pretty good), it can feel like a letdown, or even a backwards step, even if it really doesn't detract from the game in the long run.

To be fair, graphics are obviously going to give you your first impressions of a game. However, I think that playing a few games that look amazing but aren't anything revolutionary or addicting in terms of their gameplay, or engaging as far as their story and universe are concerned, will go a long way in changing your priorities as a gamer.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Wed May 18, 2016 7:20 pm

I'm thinking of selling my 980 Ti while the value would still be good and get a 1080... Then sell it again when 1080 Ti comes out.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu May 19, 2016 1:16 am

Dommy73 wrote:I'm thinking of selling my 980 Ti while the value would still be good and get a 1080... Then sell it again when 1080 Ti comes out.

If you're in the US and you have a MicroCenter store close by, it wouldn't be so bad to go this route if you buy the 1 or 2 year warranty for the card. This store takes back everything, no questions asked, and they give you the full store credit refund (Y)

Btw, what resolution do you play on? If not anything above 1080P, I'd stick with the 980ti and let Pascal cards and the drivers mature in the next coming years. My 980ti will last me for a while at 1080P.
Izzy Snow

Postby ThePointForward on Thu May 19, 2016 7:25 am

Not in US.

And I play at 1440p, 3440x1440 (21:9) where supported.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu May 19, 2016 9:34 am

Dommy73 wrote:Not in US.

And I play at 1440p, 3440x1440 (21:9) where supported.

Ahh ok. It's looking like the 1080 is a great single gpu solution for 1440P gaming.
Izzy Snow

Postby ThePointForward on Thu May 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Yeah, but most reviewers do not benchmark the 21:9 resolutions, so it looks like the 1080 Ti (or whatever AMD comes up with on their high-end side later this year) will be more suitable for it.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Return to Off-Topic