How did you discover the NLSC?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

How did you discover the NLSC?

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:19 pm

It's been a while since we've had this topic, and while we still have some long-time veterans around, we've also had a fair amount of turnover in our userbase over the past five years or so. As such, it's about time to ask the question again.

How did you discover the NLSC? What brought you here in the first place? I'm always interested to find out, because although there's overlap between the basketball game sections and the NBA/off-topic sections, we've also got kind of a split demographic: some who are mostly here for the video game content, and others who don't really seem to play the games anymore, but have stuck around to talk about the NBA and off-topic stuff.

For the record, I discovered the NLSC back in August of 1997. That's so long ago, I didn't even discover it via Google; my search engine of choice at the time was Altavista, which I haven't visited in years, and looking it up it seems it was shut down in 2013. I was around in the original Forum when I was running the NBA Live Domain, ended up taking the NLSC job in August of 2001, and I've been around ever since.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: How did you discover the NLSC?

Postby Tha2KProphet on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:26 pm

NYKEFALLER Youtube Back In 2012/13...He would show mods on this site for 2k12 And 13 (Y)
Try MY 2016/17 Roster For NBA 2K14

Here >>>: 2KShiftLeader's (Tha2KProphet) 2017 Roster | BHM

My Thread: viewtopic.php?f=153&t=98403
I'm dEaD :twisted:
Tha2KProphet
Everyone at NLSC thought I was joking when I said "LeBron is gonna come back from a 3-1 lead"

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 am

Pretty sure I Googled 'NBA Live 06', and this was (one of?) the first hit(s). I had never PC gamed in my life, and thought it was so cool how people were changing the way the game looked, etc. I was always a roster nut, but at the time would make manual edits on my console, and hated how limiting everything was. It was shortly thereafter that I was in Best Buy purchasing a video card, and running my first PC game, and shortly after that, diving into modding. I was a senior in college at the time, so it was a huge financial strain buying that damn video card. :lol:

Andrew, I'm surprised you weren't using AskJeeves :cool:
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Murat on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:14 am

My discover is similar to bigh0rt

I started to watch NBA in 2005, and I had NBA Live 06 in PC. I was a big fan of late 90's uniforms. I looked for the patches of these nice uniforms, then I found NLSC. I remember BAYAG's Classic Teams update, the Euroleague mod and a 2000-01 mod that its links were broken. That's the time when I met Rapidshare.de too. People put some nice works on nbalive.org then too, and I remember that I compiled a few retro jerseys. I even remember creating them on my own, with MS Paint.

A few years later, I met Photoshop and it went on since 2009-2010
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Kevin on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:23 am

even though it says that I joined in 2013, I've actually been lurking these forums for quite some time before I decided to create my own account. Back in '06 when my uncle gave me a copy of the Live '06 for console but my younger brother decided it would be okay to spill water on it to "wash" it so we decided to buy a PC instead and a pc version of Live '06.

While my uncle was busy installing it, I searched for Live 06 and there I saw NLSC and another mod site. Clicked NLSC then voila! I was too shy to post then since I only knew French and I saw you were all speaking English. Only went to the site to download mods ever since.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:19 am

bigh0rt wrote:Andrew, I'm surprised you weren't using AskJeeves :cool:

You know, I don't think I've ever asked Jeeves anything. Though if I did have to ask something, it'd probably be "Why do you make a habit of installing your bloatware/adware on people's computers, since rebranding to Ask.com?" :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:40 am

I've been lurking the site for a while now. I wanna say maybe when I got Live 03 (Kidd Cover) on PC so 2002? It wasn't until the past year or so that I became more active in the forums.
Izzy Snow

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Kevin wrote:While my uncle was busy installing it, I searched for Live 06 and there I saw NLSC and another mod site. Clicked NLSC then voila! I was too shy to post then since I only knew French and I saw you were all speaking English. Only went to the site to download mods ever since.

Lol I love hearing French Canadians talk.

Yeah Pretty sure it was back in 99 or so I was finally getting more time on the internet (desktop computer with DSL internet was in my mom's room, some nights she'd go sleep over at her bf's house) I'm not sure what I was looking for, probably art updates for Live 98, and my god when I saw all the stuff you could change in the game to keep it updated, I was hooked.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 pm

DSL in 1999? My fifteen year old self is jealous.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Andrew wrote:DSL in 1999? My fifteen year old self is jealous.

Ha yeah it was starting to become a regularity over dial up by then, but unfortunately it still tied up the phone line so my mom would know if I was online if she'd try to call and check on me at night.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:36 pm

I believe dial-up may have finally died out over here in the last few years. Those who can't get ADSL through the phone line or a fixed wireless solution usually have a 4G connection.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:16 pm

I think I discovered it via a google search. I became more aware and interested in PC mods after I acquired a budget laptop that could run most of my low-end games (e.g. NBA Live 08), and watching videos on youtube I probably ran across the NLSC a few times.
Cpt(K)

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Andrew wrote:DSL in 1999? My fifteen year old self is jealous.

I remember going to college in 2002 and moving from dial-up to their T3 connections and it being a whole new world. 1 minute to download a song instead of 30 minutes (at best, and often over an hour). Now I get annoyed if something doesn't download in 3 seconds. How far we've come.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:23 pm

For me growing up spending my teenage years in the 90's while playing for 3 basketball teams at the time of 95/96 I hated any downtime till I was introduced to nba live 95 on my Nintendo which for a few years was just a game I played with my mates but by 2001 when I got my ps2 I was hooked on the series and really got into the editing side, roster at first which lead to wanting to change the way the game played.

I hate using the word "Lurked" but I lurked for about a year before joining this site that I found through Ask Jeeves back in 2002 when I started to edit gameplay by editing EVERY PLAYER in the game ie to slow the game down I would take 20 edit points off every player in the game, shooting % too high? Do the same again.

So after getting good results and seeing on this great site others like myself talking about this I decided to join the conversation and that was 13 years a go and is still one of the first sites I check daily.

Would also like to give a shoutout to Andrew and the team who make this magic happen.

Thank you.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:04 am

bigh0rt wrote:I remember going to college in 2002 and moving from dial-up to their T3 connections and it being a whole new world. 1 minute to download a song instead of 30 minutes (at best, and often over an hour). Now I get annoyed if something doesn't download in 3 seconds. How far we've come.

Tell me about it. Even about five years ago, I'd balk at larger downloads, and favoured physical media over Steam and digital distribution, because it'd take ages to come through. These days, even though connection speeds in Australia are still behind a lot of developed countries, I don't think twice about anything over a gig.

mp3 wrote:So after getting good results and seeing on this great site others like myself talking about this I decided to join the conversation and that was 13 years a go and is still one of the first sites I check daily.

Would also like to give a shoutout to Andrew and the team who make this magic happen.

Thank you.

You're welcome, and it's always nice to hear that, so thank you for the support. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:54 am

Andrew wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I remember going to college in 2002 and moving from dial-up to their T3 connections and it being a whole new world. 1 minute to download a song instead of 30 minutes (at best, and often over an hour). Now I get annoyed if something doesn't download in 3 seconds. How far we've come.

Tell me about it. Even about five years ago, I'd balk at larger downloads, and favoured physical media over Steam and digital distribution, because it'd take ages to come through. These days, even though connection speeds in Australia are still behind a lot of developed countries, I don't think twice about anything over a gig.

Oh, I know it's not expensive at Aussie as it is here.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 am

Maybe not, but our speeds and value still aren't great.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:42 am

Found out about this site when I got a laptop back in 2002 and installed NBA Live on it. I was mostly checking the other site (...completely forgot what it was called) where patchers were sharing their work for this game, but I started seeing better things being done on NLSC, and after a while I joined mainly to share some tattoo patches I was making. Only did that for a couple of years I think, it was just too time consuming.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Murat on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:42 pm

nbalive.org?
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby formx on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:53 pm

searched something NBA Live related on Google.

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby mp3 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Hey there's something I won't miss.

"This thread is 56k friendly"
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:14 pm

The sound is nostalgic. I'll give it that.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:56 pm

Was searching for the meaning of 'fisting' and one of the results were NLSC posts from Jackal and benji.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Sauru on Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:00 pm

this is a good question and one i am not sure i can answer. its been so damn long now. my guess is random internet search? i do know that i was a member here prior to what my current account says. i made a new account(this one) at some point because i forgot the info for my last one.

just realized this post is about my forgetting things. great
Sauru

Postby mp3 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:15 pm

Yeah I registered on an nba live site in 01-02 but the site seemed to be replaced by this one and I had to register again too
mp3

Return to Off-Topic