Conor McGregor

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Do you like Conor McGregor?

Hell no
33%
Hell yeah
33%
Neutral
33%
Who is he?
No votes

Total votes : 6

Conor McGregor

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:18 pm

For those of you who don't watch UFC, he's a brash Irishman that talks a big game to sell fights to the point where's it's at a WWE level. After fights, he's always a nice guy so it's all just an act which frustrates me because a lot of people love him for the shit talking (eerily similar to why people love Donald Trump, which is a different story). Can't stand the guy, especially since the UFC is pushing him and he's beaten mostly weak competition so far in his career. Is he entertaining? Is he fake? Is he douchey? Is he simply selling his fights & making money?

phpBB [video]
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: Conor McGregor

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:43 pm

I'm not too familiar with him as I don't really follow MMA all that closely, but from what I've seen, I'm kind of on the fence. It's funny how a lot of MMA fans will bash professional wrestling, because while MMA is obviously a legitimate sport and pro wrestling isn't, both Dana White and the fighters themselves clearly take some cues from pro wrestling in promoting themselves and the events. I'm not a big fan of brashness, but I can also appreciate it as being a bit of gamesmanship, especially when it's not someone's true personality, 24/7.

One might argue that he's ahead of the curve. Look how people loved Ronda Rousey, but then were really happy to see her defeated by Holly Holm. Tall Poppy Syndrome is absolutely a thing, so by heeling it up a bit, McGregor's kind of beating them to the punch and playing the villain for some, and a cocky hero for others.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Being from Ireland I can tell you right now this guy is an absolute god here. People are obsessed with him.... It seems like half the country stays up late to watch his matches. Everyone talks about him.

I know a friend who met him once at an airport, and he said that he was the complete opposite to what he acts like on TV, a real genuine nice guy. I don't think he's a douche, he just plays it for the cameras to hype up the matches. He's a class clown and a very charismatic person, he knows exactly how to spark conversation where there is none.

I personally don't watch a lot of UFC but it seems like he acts the douche before the match to hype it up and create conversation and then acts humble after because that's who he really is. I can tell you one thing, he's very good at what he does in and out of the ring, that's for sure.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby formx on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Gotta sell a fight one way or another. Conor chooses to be a heel and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Love him. Can't get enough of him.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:49 pm

Amusing how his loudmouth act got shut up by that autistic Nate Diaz.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:00 am

I think Nate will beat him again.
BTW, he's not autistic, just ghetto. See: Barnes, Matt.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to Off-Topic