My Desire to Quit Gaming (Or Slow It Down)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

My Desire to Quit Gaming (Or Slow It Down)

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:23 am

First of all, Ben and Andrew, I listened to your latest podcast and for the record, I'm 38. With that said, I've been contemplating either completely quitting gaming or slowing it down. I've tried to quit before a few years ago but I was trying to do it cold turkey and that didn't last long. This time around, I'm taking a slower approach and I figured, since I'm the type of person that likes to be at the forefront of cutting edge gaming technology, I think that downgrading my PC, cancelling my Oculus Rift pre-order, etc. is a good way to start.

Why is the PC side getting punished? Well, because for me, it's the most expensive (hardware). I'm going to sell my two GTX 980 ti and stick my old 690 in my PC and game on a 1080P monitor. I plan to also sell my Dell Ultrawide.

As for my consoles, I'm going to keep them. Gonna continue on my current addiction that is Gears of War UE and The Division, occasionally play Live, 2K, etc. Like I said to a friend, this might take a while. Years even. But again, the process starts with PC downgrades.

What will I do with my extra time from gaming? Well, I'd like to get into reading, learning to play the guitar, and continue exercising more not just to look good/fit but just be overall, healhy.

What about you NLSC family? Have you ever thought of quitting or wondered if you'd game forever?
Izzy Snow

Re: My Desire to Quit Gaming (Or Slow It Down)

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:14 am

I did actually remember you were 38 from a conversation we had, but wasn't sure if I should say the exact number since that's your business, so I left it at "a couple of years older than us". ;)

I've found that I've slowed down a little somewhat organically through my 20s and now into my early 30s. It's been a combination of having other responsibilities and activities that I enjoy. Only a few people in my circle of friends have kids, so we still go out fairly often (in fact I'm heading out shortly for a BBQ/Picnic), and I also exercise frequently, which I absolutely recommend getting into. I do still like to game though, so I'll fit it in when I can. Actually, as I've mentioned on the Podcast before, I often combine gaming with exercise. When I can't get out for a run, I'll get on the exercise bike. Since that's a little boring compared to hitting the streets and running up and down hills, I'll usually play my PS4 at the same time. Two birds with one stone!

Do you think the changes in gaming culture, or some of the burnout from YouTube/social media play a role as well? I find that maintaining the NLSC keeps me pretty connected to gaming, but after working on various projects, I sometimes feel more inclined to passively consume content, rather than create it or actively participate in the form of gaming. I've slowed down on making patches, as I have wondered just long I can keep doing that stuff, and I guess the answer is as long as I enjoy it. As for gaming itself, I think it's something I'll always do whenever I find the time, but as time goes on, I'll just have to be a bit choosier.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:32 am

Andrew wrote:I did actually remember you were 38 from a conversation we had, but wasn't sure if I should say the exact number since that's your business, so I left it at "a couple of years older than us". ;)

I've found that I've slowed down a little somewhat organically through my 20s and now into my early 30s. It's been a combination of having other responsibilities and activities that I enjoy. Only a few people in my circle of friends have kids, so we still go out fairly often (in fact I'm heading out shortly for a BBQ/Picnic), and I also exercise frequently, which I absolutely recommend getting into. I do still like to game though, so I'll fit it in when I can. Actually, as I've mentioned on the Podcast before, I often combine gaming with exercise. When I can't get out for a run, I'll get on the exercise bike. Since that's a little boring compared to hitting the streets and running up and down hills, I'll usually play my PS4 at the same time. Two birds with one stone!

Do you think the changes in gaming culture, or some of the burnout from YouTube/social media play a role as well? I find that maintaining the NLSC keeps me pretty connected to gaming, but after working on various projects, I sometimes feel more inclined to passively consume content, rather than create it or actively participate in the form of gaming. I've slowed down on making patches, as I have wondered just long I can keep doing that stuff, and I guess the answer is as long as I enjoy it. As for gaming itself, I think it's something I'll always do whenever I find the time, but as time goes on, I'll just have to be a bit choosier.

Haha I appreciate you being considerate of mentioning my age. Most of my friends that I used to have over for gaming days/UFC PPV's are married and/or have kids now and our hangouts are few and far between now. We actually recently talked about putting together a guys only hangout and I plan to get the gang to go to Top Golf. As for exercise, it's something I've been inconsistent with but I have pretty good self motivation having ran a full marathon before. I'm getting back into running but only 2 milers at most. That's awesome that you have a setup to play and exercise at the same time. I have a treadmill at home but I wouldn't run and play at the same time lol!

My desire to quit or slow down really has nothing to do than anything than just my own personal desire for reasons I mentioned. Right now like I said, I still very much enjoy gaming and in all honesty, it's probably something I can never completely quit but something I can do on occasion as I get older. But I still definitely will downgrade my PC. I've been fighting double dipping on The Division and I keep stopping myself because I know I don't have enough time to play both so it's a waste. Plus I feel like games have peaked graphics wise. Tbh, console graphics lately have impressed me and I do think that sometimes, consoles hold back PC versions of 3rd party games. Only real benefit now with PC gaming are mods, being able to play in higher res, etc. but those are things I feel I can live without now.

Anyway, I hope that bbq/picnic event was fun. My Friday evening consisted of (so far) taking a walk with my dog and family and now I'm watching my son play Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on the WiiU : D and I gotta say, I love my family life. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Have a good weekend Andrew.
Izzy Snow

Postby Kevin on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:02 am

I'd like to think that I didn't have any problems when I quit gaming awhile back (back at it now). Ever since I went to med school, it's not my laptop, ps4/3/2, or my pc that I see every morning I wake up but a dead human lying on the table. I guess focusing on what I really want to achieve made it easier for me. Thinking about the "end game" made it easier too.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby [Q] on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:37 am

It's happened pretty naturally for me. Just getting older now at 29, especially with work now I have a lot less free time plus I don't get really excited for too many games anymore so I'm not really buying too many games either.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:44 pm

I didn't play a single video game from 2008 through 2012, and really didn't miss them. I am looking forward to putting the controller down again within the next several months. As it is I play very little now, and am incredibly productive in all the time I would've otherwise spent playing. I'm just shy of being 32. Good luck with it.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Kevin wrote:I'd like to think that I didn't have any problems when I quit gaming awhile back (back at it now). Ever since I went to med school, it's not my laptop, ps4/3/2, or my pc that I see every morning I wake up but a dead human lying on the table. I guess focusing on what I really want to achieve made it easier for me. Thinking about the "end game" made it easier too.

One of my friends is a doctor and is a hardcore gamer that used to play COD a lot but is more into single player games now like Fallout 4. I just recently got back into mp gaming but before that, as far as online, I preferred co-op games. I guess that's why I like The Division so much.
Izzy Snow

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:29 pm

[Q] wrote:It's happened pretty naturally for me. Just getting older now at 29, especially with work now I have a lot less free time plus I don't get really excited for too many games anymore so I'm not really buying too many games either.

For a while, it happened naturally for me too. I'd go through phases of playing for a couple of months and then not playing as much for a couple of months. Now that I think about it, that was around the time my kids were younger. Now they're older and they actually play games with me.
Izzy Snow

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I didn't play a single video game from 2008 through 2012, and really didn't miss them. I am looking forward to putting the controller down again within the next several months. As it is I play very little now, and am incredibly productive in all the time I would've otherwise spent playing. I'm just shy of being 32. Good luck with it.

Wow! 4 years of not playing. I'm sure the site missed ya : D
Izzy Snow

Postby benji on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:24 pm

Kevin wrote:Ever since I went to med school, it's not my laptop, ps4/3/2, or my pc that I see every morning I wake up but a dead human lying on the table.

And then there's the stuff he sees when he clocks in.
benji

Postby mp3 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:55 pm

I don't think il totally give up playing video games though just age (35) and responsibilities (wife & mortgage) do get in the way I still think il find time to play quick games of 2k/Live/CoD when Iam 80 something
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Return to Off-Topic